2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Best state for golf

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm from Southern California, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else as a golfer. 350 days a year (at least ) of golf. Not too wet and soggy like some areas. Not too windy. Not very humid. Price points all over the place, and plenty of excellent tracks at your disposal--especially if you get into the private club scene or are a good (tournament level) golfer.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1406825761' post='9824877']
I'm from Southern California, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else as a golfer. 350 days a year (at least ) of golf. Not too wet and soggy like some areas. Not too windy. Not very humid. Price points all over the place, and plenty of excellent tracks at your disposal--especially if you get into the private club scene or are a good (tournament level) golfer.
[/quote]
the only issue with Socal, is the traffic. Can't stand it. Norcal is much better.

I currently live on a private track in AZ and love it all year. rd.

[quote name='GodSpeed' timestamp='1404915873' post='9666033']
Anyone who hasn't said FL, doesn't live in FL. We have golf weather all year long. How does it get any better? And don't give me "scenery". We have coastline around 90% of our state.

We win :)
[/quote]
FL is the swamp with all the humidity and bugs. I mean, who else, needs to put a fence around their pool/spa, than in the SE. Yep - awesome!

California. Thunderstorms are a rarity compared to the SE (where I'm from originally). Ocean and mountains within access. Ocean, mountain, desert and traditional courses throughout the state. Southern versus Northern California diversity. Limited humidity. Year-round golf. A variety in terrain. A continuity of beauty. Did I mention the women?

What Is and What Should Never Be

• 1 month later...

Michigan has the 2nd most courses per capita. Yeah, our season is short, April - November at best. But summer golf is awesome, prices are reasonable, tons of courses to play.

Plus it doesn't get dark til about 9:30-10 depending on where in the state you are.

[quote name='GodSpeed' timestamp='1404915873' post='9666033']
Anyone who hasn't said FL, doesn't live in FL. We have golf weather all year long. How does it get any better? And don't give me "scenery". We have coastline around 90% of our state.

We win :)
[/quote]

I agree. And for those griping about humidity, I'd rather have Florida's humidity where there's almost always a breeze, than the stifling, breeze-less humidity we often have here in NJ in the summers.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Oregon has the best golf courses in the country.

I would put Bandon Dunes (all), Sunriver (et al Bend area), and Pumpkin Ridge, PGC, Eugene (amongst others) against any other state's course line up.

Golf here is not for sissy's. we play in all conditions, just like it was meant to be played.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1410470357' post='10103501']
Oregon has the best golf courses in the country.

I would put Bandon Dunes (all), Sunriver (et al Bend area), and Pumpkin Ridge, PGC, Eugene (amongst others) against any other state's course line up.

Golf here is not for sissy's. we play in all conditions, just like it was meant to be played.
[/quote]

I personally think Oregon and the (PNW as a whole) has the best golf courses that a regular person can get on and play. It's amazing you can play a large number of courses that are wildly different. You can drive 100 miles in any direction and the golf can be incredibly different (high desert, links, classic tree-lined).

For me, the best collection of courses (that are almost all private) are in California.

SoCal. Sun about 350 days a year. You can golf in shorts year round and no ridiculous humidity during the summer. Also Palm Springs and Las Vegas are in driving range. Drawbacks are overcrowding of courses and high cost of living.

I also heard good things about NC/SC but hear the humidity makes it unbearable for people who didn't grow up with it.

I also would like to mention OR and WA. Lots of really fantastic courses in those 2 states.

Got to agree with all the guys from NC myself being a native Tar Heel (but a ECU fan) but I am now living south of Dirty Myrtle. Both states have a great variety of courses and the climate is pretty good except in the mountains in the winter. I am origionally from Charlotte but have not lived there for close to 35 years. I do visit there some and there are a lot of new courses in the area that I have never played. Living here I have over 100 courses on the "Grand Strand" area which now includes Brunswick county NC. I am not that far from Wilmington and not that far from Charlestown and really not that far from the Pinehurst/ Fayetteville area. I am older now and tend to stick close to home but I do venture out. I feel I have the best of both Carolina's worlds living where I do

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1411806434' post='10192927']
SoCal. Sun about 350 days a year. You can golf in shorts year round and no ridiculous humidity during the summer. Also Palm Springs and Las Vegas are in driving range. Drawbacks are overcrowding of courses and high cost of living.

I also heard good things about NC/SC but hear the humidity makes it unbearable for people who didn't grow up with it.

I also would like to mention OR and WA. Lots of really fantastic courses in those 2 states.
[/quote]Trust me I grew up with the humidity being a NC native from the Piedmont area but the older you get the harder it is to take

[quote name='bellview17' timestamp='1404776519' post='9655397']
NC, SC boarder, about 120 places to play within an hour...
[/quote]With those numbers I would guess you are up around the Shallotte area in Brunswick County

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1399429859' post='9246979']
My vote is for Utah. I have only lived here for 3 years, but I will severely miss the golf here if I ever have to leave. Salt Lake and the area within an hour's drive in any direction has probably 50+ courses, most of which are public, in great shape, outstanding views, and available to play for $30-35. I have never once had any issues with slow play or overcrowded courses, and if the winter is bad, southern Utah is only a few hours drive and has another dozen or so courses that are incredible. 9 months out of the year the weather in SLC is great - lots of sunshine, no humidity, no severe wind....overall I feel extremely spoiled playing here!
[/quote]

I'm also going to vote for Utah. I think this question isn't about which state has the prettiest courses that you can never get on or can't afford to play. (Otherwise we could all just fantasize ourselves into memberships at Cypress Point, Pine Valley and Augusta and end the discussion.) It's about a place that boasts a wealth of attainable affordable attractive offerings.

So that's why I vote Utah. I've never seen a region so full of pretty golf courses that were nearly always empty and cheap. (Reno/Tahoe was about as good, but a bit pricier.) I watch GolfNow's hot deals and I can usually find $13-17 full round special with cart about twice a week. Otherwise, I simply never make tee times, I just show up and play whenever I want wherever I want. Wednesday I had to pick my son up at the airport and we have a fine links course at the airport, so I showed up early to get a round in at 3:00 pm. I PLAYED FREE BECAUSE THE PRO CLOSED THE CLUBHOUSE TO RUN AN ERRAND. That's the third time this has happened to me this year at three different courses.

It's true that in northern Utah we can only play from about March to early December, with maybe a thaw or two in the dead winter. But then we just drive to the south end of the state to St. George/Mesquite and we have twenty more desert courses at our fingertips. Almost everything is a scenic gem.

I've lived in Michigan and SoCal and played a bunch in South Carolina and Florida. Michigan has beautiful courses that are pretty cheap thanks to their depressed economy. But a season that is achingly short. I can understand the folks who vote South Carolina -- it has hundreds of courses, but they're not exactly cheap, relatively similar in type, and usually peppered with hard partying Yankee visitors. Florida has an abundance of flat, swampy architectural gems, but they are full of old folks in the season, and hot as Hades in the off season. And again, not cheap.

As for SoCal, I simply can't understand why it gets so many votes. Year round season, little rain and it has many good courses -- that you can't ever get on and you pay a fortune when you do. Their population base is simply too large in proportion to the number of courses. So if you want to bask in the knowledge that you live close to Torrey or Pebble, but don't play there more than once in a blue moon because it costs $200 to $500 a round, have at it. I live two states over and I play at Torrey and Pebble as much as the locals do. I want to play a LOT and play in a variety of places. In Utah I can play 3 or 4 times for what the Carolinians or Californians pay to play just once. Heck, I can buy an unlimited season pass at any local course for less than an average CC's monthly dues.

The only downside to Utah golf is that they are closing or threatening to close lots of courses due to lack of use. And you can't legally get beer on most courses. Oh well, you can't have everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohio you have courses such as:

Inverness
Muirfield Village
Scioto
Canteburry
Sand Ridge
Firestone
New Albany GC
Double Eagle
The Golf Club
Scarlet & Grey
Kenwood CC
Camargo CC
Coldstream
NCR
Longeberger
Canton Bookside

and many more

I realize that most if not all of these are private, but Ohio is filled with a ton of great golf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dm, when did they stop selling beer at golf courses in Utah? I lived out there for 25 years and never had a course that didn't sell beer...well maybe some of the Provo area courses.

I'd also have to throw a vote to Utah. Plenty of well kept courses, low prices, great scenery, fairly long season, and quite a few courses without a house in sight. There is nothing nicer than a round of golf in that dry mountain air without a house, road or car in sight.

Also, they have a great amateur golf system. A lot of stroke play tournaments all over the state. Very easy to get your fill of competitive golf weekly.

• 1 month later...

Michigan would win hands down if it weren't for the short season. Arcadia, Tullymore, Forest Dunes, Treetops, True North, etc can all be played for $100 or less. All these other state's great courses are either private or $200+ per round. Michigan is All about public golf and we don't charge out-of-staters jacked up rates like A-holes in AZ, FL and CA.