Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @BogeyParBogey said:

> > @Popeye64 said:

> > > @"swing thoughts" said:

> > > The question for me is "why are we seduced?" I am not ashamed to admit that I want everyone to think I hit the ball a long way. There, I said it. probably because I've always been the skinny guy on the football team, doing MMA, etc. But I found a way to get past it, I play blades now. I usually manage to work something like the following into a conversation on the course: "Yeah, but these Mizunos don't go anywhere. It's been a bit of a transition, but I'm adjusting to losing 15-20 yards per club." Yes, I'm that guy, but I promise I'm not a blowhard about it. And I don't do it when I'm playing with older players or guys who suck and hit their 7 iron 125 when they catch it right. But I do care and I can't help it.

> >

> > Chick's dig the long ball.... I guess we get wrapped up in bigger, better, faster. We lose sight of what's really important in golf and that's scoring. But there is also the fun part about golf and that's where the hitting the ball farther,, seduction comes in.

> > I'm glad I dipped into the distance iron pool because it made me take a good long hard look at my game. I easily realized for me, scoring better was a lot more fun than how far it went.

>

> Popeye,

> Are you back with the MMBs?

Yes I am. I have the GW-6 MMB in play with the 6,5 TS-2. Gapping is nice and tight and I seem to be taking a nice full swing a lot more. But,,,,, the other day Playing an elite golf course in my area for the first time the 8 iron came off on the range. Second hole the 9 iron came off, two holes later the 6 iron came loose..... Note to self. Soaking the heads in PB Blaster, the night before makes them look awesome but apparently eats the epoxy. My only theory is since the MMB blacks are not chromed essentially chemically treated they remain porous and soaked the PB Blaster right up. Only thing I can think of. Long story short, I had some serious gapping issues before the turn.

> @OrangeGravy said:

> Once I finally get a L&L bending machine, I really won't care what lofts are! I'll only need to avoid brittle unbend-able models.

When you snap your first head you will be shocked at how easy it was. Try to explain that to a customer who has been playing the same wedge for 10 years but wanted it matched to his Mizunos. Told him it might break.. snapped like a twig.

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @ghoonk said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > Play what works.

> > > >

> > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > >

> > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > >

> >

> > I used to think that way as well. My early years in golf was spent playing with a buddy who used to hit his 5i 200 meters, while I could barely get mine past 150m (distances in meters cos my early years with golf was spent in Singapore).

> >

> > I spent years chasing his yardages with each club and only recently realised that at the end of the day, only two things matter - what's on the scorecard, and how much fun I had out there.

>

> I was the same when I started. I had a couple of different realizations to make me stop thinking about it so much:

> 1. There’s always going to be someone who can hit it longer.

> 2. Distance didn’t automatically make a better golfer.

> It’s just one of those things I think you learn over time. Kind of like when you’re betting with your foursome, you start to notice the same hundred bucks just circulates in the group. If I was going to have prodigious distance, I’d have known that far earlier in my golf life. So i don’t sweat those that do.

Exactly! I'd also add that the ball trajectory off the M-CGBs aren't bad either. Nice, high and penetrating flight to the apex and then it seems to drop quite steeply. I play at the Trump International Golf Club in Dubai (not a fan of the guy, but the course, facilities and amenities are awesome) and it's a links-style course by Gil Hanse (apparently Mr T had no input on the course design here - no waterfalls lol) with firm greens, and I've not had any issues landing and keeping the ball on the green as long as I don't hit a thin shot. Given the way the ball lands and dies on the green, I'd say it's more angle of descent than spin rates keeping the ball on the green - my point here is that my GI/distance irons aren't just long, they also deliver high launch, steep descent which is a nice thing for me now

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

> @Popeye64 said:

> > @OrangeGravy said:

> > Once I finally get a L&L bending machine, I really won't care what lofts are! I'll only need to avoid brittle unbend-able models.

>

> When you snap your first head you will be shocked at how easy it was. Try to explain that to a customer who has been playing the same wedge for 10 years but wanted it matched to his Mizunos. Told him it might break.. snapped like a twig.

Fortunately I will just being doing it for myself and maybe some old friends.

> @Popeye64 said:

> > @OrangeGravy said:

> > Once I finally get a L&L bending machine, I really won't care what lofts are! I'll only need to avoid brittle unbend-able models.

>

> When you snap your first head you will be shocked at how easy it was. Try to explain that to a customer who has been playing the same wedge for 10 years but wanted it matched to his Mizunos. Told him it might break.. snapped like a twig.

Hey Popeye,

You mentioned in the TS2 thread that you were at sea. Where do you sail and what kind of vessels do you work? I'm a commercial mariner myself. AB/100 Ton Master.

Sorry, won't thread jack any further!

> @Popeye64 said:

> I'm glad I dipped into the distance iron pool because it made me take a good long hard look at my game. I easily realized for me, scoring better was a lot more fun than how far it went.

I'm really hopeful this is what I'll be saying in 2 months..... I've played a couple different players irons over the years from Taylormade and Callaway, and last year got swooped up in the fact that the P790's felt good, and I could hit them a country mile.... for an entire season, i struggled like crazy with them - inconsistency was the story of my season - i'd go weeks on end shooting great scores, and then go into a massive slump... while this can happen to anyone, it never used to happen to me for extended periods of time, and I was having less fun with the game. I've got a fitting setup for late May at Club Champion and I"m hoping to find something that will bring the fun back.... ugh.......

Jacked up lofts? Who is this Jack fellow and why is he messing with the world.

Nicklaus hits a seven say 160. For bob to hit his seven the same distance he uses a seven that is four degrees stronger.

Ping G400 LST mitsubishi Kurokage titleist 915 Three Mitsubishi Diamana Bridgestone J15 Mitsubishi Fubuki Adams 9031 Super Mitsubishi Diamana Mizuno M5 KBS 120 Mizuno S5 50º Mizuno T7 54º Calaway MD4 60º putters - rotating staff of near do wells and misfits

> @OrangeGravy said:

> > @Popeye64 said:

> > > @OrangeGravy said:

> > > Once I finally get a L&L bending machine, I really won't care what lofts are! I'll only need to avoid brittle unbend-able models.

> >

> > When you snap your first head you will be shocked at how easy it was. Try to explain that to a customer who has been playing the same wedge for 10 years but wanted it matched to his Mizunos. Told him it might break.. snapped like a twig.

>

> Hey Popeye,

> You mentioned in the TS2 thread that you were at sea. Where do you sail and what kind of vessels do you work? I'm a commercial mariner myself. AB/100 Ton Master.

> Sorry, won't thread jack any further!

I run an ATB out of NY. We move gasoline along the upper east coast. I work two weeks on and two off. Best job in the world.ubi7zc0gped6.jpg

Just posted on another thread re wedges where the OP mentioned he had a 43.5° PW. The irons are the Taylormade M4.

So ignoring the number on the bottom of the club which everyone is always telling us to do because 'it doesn't matter, who cares if todays 5-GW is the old 4-PW.

Well, ignoring the number stamped on my 'traditional' lofted R7TPs, just look at the progression from the 21° iron to the set Gap wedge at about 50°. THAT is my problem with so called 'Distance' irons. On the bright side if I switched to the M4 irons I could play 6-GW and still have room for two extra clubs!

M4 Irons R7TP

5i 21.5° R7 21°

6i 25° R7 24°

7i 28.5° R7 27°

8i 33.0° R7 31°

9i 38.0° R7 35°

PW 43.5° R7 39°

AW 49.0° R7 43°

SW 54 R7 47°

LW 59° R7 51°

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @kiwihacker said:

> Just posted on another thread re wedges where the OP mentioned he had a 43.5° PW. The irons are the Taylormade M4.

>

> So ignoring the number on the bottom of the club which everyone is always telling us to do because 'it doesn't matter, who cares if todays 5-GW is the old 4-PW.

>

> Well, ignoring the number stamped on my 'traditional' lofted R7TPs, just look at the progression from the 21° iron to the set Gap wedge at about 50°. THAT is my problem with so called 'Distance' irons. On the bright side if I switched to the M4 irons I could play 6-GW and still have room for two extra clubs!

>

> M4 Irons R7TP

> 5i 21.5° R7 21°

> 6i 25° R7 24°

> 7i 28.5° R7 27°

> 8i 33.0° R7 31°

> 9i 38.0° R7 35°

> PW 43.5° R7 39°

> AW 49.0° R7 43°

> SW 54 R7 47°

> LW 59° R7 51°

I did see that posting on the 43.5 PW. I wonder where things will be 5 years from now? I assume the difference between a Players iron and a SGI will be about as big as a 5.5° iron loft gap.

> @Popeye64 said:

> > @kiwihacker said:

> > Just posted on another thread re wedges where the OP mentioned he had a 43.5° PW. The irons are the Taylormade M4.

> >

> > So ignoring the number on the bottom of the club which everyone is always telling us to do because 'it doesn't matter, who cares if todays 5-GW is the old 4-PW.

> >

> > Well, ignoring the number stamped on my 'traditional' lofted R7TPs, just look at the progression from the 21° iron to the set Gap wedge at about 50°. THAT is my problem with so called 'Distance' irons. On the bright side if I switched to the M4 irons I could play 6-GW and still have room for two extra clubs!

> >

> > M4 Irons R7TP

> > 5i 21.5° R7 21°

> > 6i 25° R7 24°

> > 7i 28.5° R7 27°

> > 8i 33.0° R7 31°

> > 9i 38.0° R7 35°

> > PW 43.5° R7 39°

> > AW 49.0° R7 43°

> > SW 54 R7 47°

> > LW 59° R7 51°

>

> I did see that posting on the 43.5 PW. I wonder where things will be 5 years from now? I assume the difference between a Players iron and a SGI will be about as big as a 5.5° iron loft gap.

I have said in the past that there will eventually be a 21° PW and an iron set will look something like this:

PW 21°

Gap Wedge1 (GW) 24°

GW2 27°

GW3 31°

GW4 35°

GW5 39°

GW6 43°

GW7 48°

GW8 52°

SW 56°

LW 60°

I look forward to bragging when asked what iron I'm hitting? "It's just a wedge in for me." ;)

To each his own but here's my experience with distance

I have plenty of swing speed, low handicap, and play "distance" irons. They do spin less but they launch high AF. Stopping comes from angle of decent and not spin. The ball still graps and pulls back a foot or two in regular conditions. It is fun to hit a 7 iron from 190 because it still flights like a 7 iron. I can hit a high towering shot from 190 yds. I know that shot is a result of technology and not an unworldly talent I've been blessed with but DAMN IT'S FUN!

Margin for error on direction from 190 is the same regardless of which club a person is swinging but I gain some of that back by the fact I have a physically shorter club in my hands.

There are large (15ish yds) but consistent gaps in lower irons but most courses on weekend setup these days are driver > wedge. The rest of the irons get used mostly on par 3s and having the "extra" distance (I'm fully aware my irons are jacked) is a mental cushion on those holes.

• Like 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @lang30 said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > >

> > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > >

> > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > >

> > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> >

> > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> >

> > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> >

> > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

>

> But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

We don’t actually hit it farther with jacked lofts. We just are hitting more club. Which you can do with the old set. It becomes somewhat true in the 3-4 irons. But most have hybrids there regardless of the irons they play. So muted point for sure.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @lang30 said:

> > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > > >

> > > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > > >

> > > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> > >

> > > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> > >

> > > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> > >

> > > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

> >

> > But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> > And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

>

> Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

It works perfectly. The key principle is that there’s no standard with regard to lofts. All those people insisting on higher lofts are doing are picking arbitrary lofts from arbitrary points in time. So if your PW is 43 or 47, it’s a PW in both cases.

Until such time as rules are set on what lofts are, the needle can move wherever it may.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> > > >

> > > > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> > > >

> > > > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> > > >

> > > > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

> > >

> > > But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> > > And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

> >

> > Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

> It works perfectly. The key principle is that there’s no standard with regard to lofts. All those people insisting on higher lofts are doing are picking arbitrary lofts from arbitrary points in time. So if your PW is 43 or 47, it’s a PW in both cases.

> Until such time as rules are set on what lofts are, the needle can move wherever it may.

>

Except there’s the need for those 2 extra wedges. So yes. You can call that 43 degree club a pw. But. Can you pitch with it ? Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > > > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > > > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> > > > >

> > > > > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> > > > >

> > > > > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

> > > >

> > > > But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> > > > And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

> > >

> > > Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

> > It works perfectly. The key principle is that there’s no standard with regard to lofts. All those people insisting on higher lofts are doing are picking arbitrary lofts from arbitrary points in time. So if your PW is 43 or 47, it’s a PW in both cases.

> > Until such time as rules are set on what lofts are, the needle can move wherever it may.

> >

>

> Except there’s the need for those 2 extra wedges. So yes. You can call that 43 degree club a pw. But. Can you pitch with it ? Lol.

Maybe, maybe not but if you can point at a “jacked” PW and call it a 9i, I can look at a “traditional” PW and call it a gap wedge. Standards move, everyone’s just gotta deal.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > > > > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > > > > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

> > > > >

> > > > > But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> > > > > And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

> > > >

> > > > Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

> > > It works perfectly. The key principle is that there’s no standard with regard to lofts. All those people insisting on higher lofts are doing are picking arbitrary lofts from arbitrary points in time. So if your PW is 43 or 47, it’s a PW in both cases.

> > > Until such time as rules are set on what lofts are, the needle can move wherever it may.

> > >

> >

> > Except there’s the need for those 2 extra wedges. So yes. You can call that 43 degree club a pw. But. Can you pitch with it ? Lol.

> Maybe, maybe not but if you can point at a “jacked” PW and call it a 9i, I can look at a “traditional” PW and call it a gap wedge. Standards move, everyone’s just gotta deal.

>

oh for sure.. everytime one of my regulars chirps on how "far he hit that pw" .. i just say " what is the loft on that 8 iron '? Reality sets in and no more chirps.. lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My golf buddies who use differently lofted clubs per "number stamp" have either stopped asking me what club I hit, or have adapted and know how to pick a club from their set based on what I hit. I long ago stopped explaining why I'm such a short hitter with my irons, yet am as long (or longer) than any of them with my hybrids and driver. A couple of times sailing the green has taught them to adapt.

I've played blades for years and currently play 919 HMP. They're as good as any club I ever played. Feel and sound may not be on par with blades but they're crazy long and forgiving. Like any golfwrxer, I tried many sets over the years and none made a dent on my index until the 919's. I'm getting old too, my distance was going down but I got it all back plus a few yards more.

I don't care if my 6 is the old 5 iron as long it increases my GIR. Also, a 2 iron 16 degrees that is easy to hit?!? C'mon, I still have a MP-33 2 iron collecting dust in the bin, I don't think I can hit it anymore.

Perhaps what's being over looked is the club itself. That being that regardless of loft, it's easier to hit a 7 or 8 iron than a 4 or 5 iron. If you have enough swing speed to actually allow the club to do it's job, especially for older golfers who have lost distance, then hitting that 7 iron instead of that 5 iron, brings the game back for them. Granted, if your SS is more than adequate, then you may have some problems adjusting distance wise, but it should work itself out in the long run. Apparently the guys on tour, even the less than stalwarts proponents of gym class, can launch the ball with the best of them. Jacking lofts is really nothing new, Freddie Couples adjusted his lofts stronger way back when and everybody marveled at how long the shots were with such a smooth swing. Now it's apparently the norm.........

> @golfjam said:

> I've played blades for years and currently play 919 HMP. They're as good as any club I ever played. Feel and sound may not be on par with blades but they're crazy long and forgiving. Like any golfwrxer, I tried many sets over the years and none made a dent on my index until the 919's. I'm getting old too, my distance was going down but I got it all back plus a few yards more.

> I don't care if my 6 is the old 5 iron as long it increases my GIR. Also, a 2 iron 16 degrees that is easy to hit?!? C'mon, I still have a MP-33 2 iron collecting dust in the bin, I don't think I can hit it anymore.

An MP33 2 iron is 19°. Now a 2 iron is a club reserved for only the best ball strikers and the majority of us started our iron sets with 4 irons filling those 1-3 iron slots with fairway woods or hybrids. But in the latest Taylormade M4 irons the 19° club is a 4 iron. Even the 5 iron, the first 'friendly iron' in the old lofts is 21.5° the old 3 iron loft. Remember the old 'hard to hit' 3 iron that we all threw out in exchange for hybrids?

So your HMPs may be jacked one club strong but other clubs like the M4s are super jacked 2 clubs strong.

> @tsecor said:

> as Dave said above.....who cares what the # is on the bottom of the club......its meaningless

It's the gapping I have a problem with. My clubs have 4° gaps from 5 iron to GW. With jacked lofts you need 5-6° gaps to fill out the set. That would be like leaving a club out in my set.

unless you are a scratch player, that doesn't even matter so much. If you strike the ball well, you can easily close that gap with a slightly harder swing or softer swing.....> @kiwihacker said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > as Dave said above.....who cares what the # is on the bottom of the club......its meaningless

>

> It's the gapping I have a problem with. My clubs have 4° gaps from 5 iron to GW. With jacked lofts you need 5-6° gaps to fill out the set. That would be like leaving a club out in my set.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > > > > > > @lang30 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @tannyhoban said:

> > > > > > > > > > Play what works.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Exactly this. I don't understand why people get worked up about distance irons. Big deal if your buddy pulls out an 8 iron while you grab a 6 or 7. Golf should be fun and I'm not going to apologize to anyone because I choose to play clubs I enjoy - jacked lofts or not.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > People get worked up because distance "gloat" is a real thing. And some people can't stand it when someone is pleased with himself reaching a 150y par 3 with an 8i that's jacked because that person should somehow understand that he didn't really hit an 8i to 150y and he doesn't hit as far as the person who hit the green with the traditionally lofted 8i.

> > > > > > > > I find that you need to be a pretty good golfer to just let that go. If you're having trouble with distance/accuracy yourself, the gloater doesn't help and just kind of ticks you off.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I know you are right that there are gloaters out there, but surely in some cases the person is genuinely happy with the result of a shot. If asked what iron i hit and i get a response like, "wow, big hitter", I always mention my irons are strong lofted.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Should we give everybody blade irons at the same specs and go back to persimmon drivers? Probably need to get rid of distance balls too.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well you asked why people get worked up and that’s why I think they get worked up. Myself? If you tell me it’s an 8, it’s an 8.

> > > > > > I’ve played with more than one golfer that couldn’t stop gushing about how far they hit their new clubs that didn’t understand a lick about loft and only knew the number stamped on the club. I’m not about to explain jacked lofts to them nor do I want to rain on their parade like that.

> > > > > > You mention to others that your clubs are strong lofted, why do you even do that? If the person who said “big hitter” didn’t understand jacked lofts, he just enjoyed your shot and doesn’t care what the actual loft is. If the person did understand jacked lofts, then he was probably being sarcastic so who cares what he thinks?

> > > > >

> > > > > Why do I do that? I'm just making a statement of fact on my equipment.

> > > > >

> > > > > As for your distance gloat concern, you really have few options - ignore it and move on, sort it out when you both tee up a driver, or maybe grab yourself some jacked clubs.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you want to convince Cobra to stamp 2 thru 9 or 3 thru P on my currently labeled 4 thru G irons, I'm happy to play those instead.

> > > >

> > > > But that's my point. Why does anyone need to get their irons stamped to match traditional loft? I play HMPs which although marketed as a players club, are pretty jacked. But see, I don't even think that my irons are jacked, the way I look at it, these are the modern lofts.

> > > > And as far as I'm concerned, unless you're playing niblicks and mashies, you don't really have the right to point to any other club as jacked.

> > >

> > > Lol. Nice rationale. To bad it doesn’t work. Plenty of modern irons made today with 47 degree pw. 43 degree pw is jacked. 45 too.

> > It works perfectly. The key principle is that there’s no standard with regard to lofts. All those people insisting on higher lofts are doing are picking arbitrary lofts from arbitrary points in time. So if your PW is 43 or 47, it’s a PW in both cases.

> > Until such time as rules are set on what lofts are, the needle can move wherever it may.

> >

>

> Except there’s the need for those 2 extra wedges. So yes. You can call that 43 degree club a pw. But. Can you pitch with it ? Lol.

Ok so ignoring the # stamped on the bottom of the clubs:

Traditional 43° 47° 51° 54° 58°

Jacked 43° 49° 54° 58°

Basically with the jacked lofts you're dropping the 47° club and jumping straight to the approx 50° wedge. That would leave too big a gap for me in the 'scoring' clubs. LOL the reason they invented the Gap wedge was to fill the gap between the PW and Sand wedge. Now, thanks to the strong lofts you need a gap wedge to fill the gap between the PW and a Gap wedge.

> @tsecor said:

> unless you are a scratch player, that doesn't even matter so much. If you strike the ball well, you can easily close that gap with a slightly harder swing or softer swing.....> @kiwihacker said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > as Dave said above.....who cares what the # is on the bottom of the club......its meaningless

> >

> > It's the gapping I have a problem with. My clubs have 4° gaps from 5 iron to GW. With jacked lofts you need 5-6° gaps to fill out the set. That would be like leaving a club out in my set.

>

>

So basically throw out my 47° club and just swing harder or softer with the 43° or 50° club. Okaaaaay ... ???

Wait a second aren't we supposed to load up on extra wedges as they are the 'scoring clubs' from 100 and in? Now you're saying throw one of them out in favour of jacked lofts in the middle and long end of the bag?

Well I guess that will leave room for that 64° wedge I've always wanted! LOL

Some (many?) players who play stronger lofts probably find 4* between clubs to not be ideal. If you hit the ball a long way, then 3-4* between clubs probably results in good gapping. If you don't hit the ball a long way, then more loft separation might be better to get 10-12y gaps (e.g. HM/HMP at 5* between clubs).

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023