The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

9 hours ago, platgof said:

Some courses just number them 1,2,3, and 4, much simpler. Some courses have ridiculously long lengths from the forward tees, get real. 

I hope the "get real" comment is directed at the courses not me.

I support that our local Vancouver munis (3 courses) have brought in one more forward set of tees and gone to the numbers, (1, 2, 3, and combos 2/3 etc.)  to perhaps remove some of that "red  tee stigma". For the  new rated Combo tees, they have not been promoted well by the courses or put on scorecards though. So the average John Q Public player has no idea they exist even though the courses want to improve pace of play and enjoyment. 

Even those in our regular seniors group  sometimes refer to the tees still by the old color to reflect tee position.  Certainly from habit, but perhaps partly for clarity (especially when referring to Combo tees) because one of the courses in our rota has an extra back tees so the old white is now "3" there, "2" on the other courses.

The geniuses that designed the new tee markers also made the tee number only visible from one side facing the green; the numbers are visible only once you get near the tee box and can see  them facing you. If we rotate them to make it easier for following groups coming from the preceding green, it's lost on the greenskeeper who just puts them back to the facing- green position next visit.

Another local course switched the blue to front and red to the back to presumably reflect the shift from red tee stigma.

Edited by myspinonit

Turning 66 this November as I feel that I have the perfect senior bag set up.....see sig below. Still play from the white Tee's as I like to use all of my clubs if possible. I played once from the senior Tee's at one course which I think is fairly tough from the white Tee and from the senior Tee 6 iron and 8 iron into the green on a par 5. Missed my eagle but birdied and did shoot 2 under that day.  I just like the challenge as I play to have fun so if I can keep it under 80 I'm very happy which I normally do. I'm sure the courses I play on are not as difficult as what others play on but I seldom will play the same course twice in a row. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

^^^^Great you have found a club mix that works for you (me too and I’m not looking to replace any club. Though I have some other spare  wedges  I can swap in if I want later to experiment to course conditions.)

It sounds  like that course you mentioned with the short tees is  a great candidate  for some form of Combo ones, though it also sounds like for you whites  are fine and you are a stronger player.  Different from you, I  and some friends find we have  a better chance playing every club with shorter tees, though admittedly  a higher percentage  of mid and shorter irons. But I’m glad to get more practice with my irons this year since I moved up half a set to a full set of tees, course dependent. 

Edited by myspinonit

• 2 months later...

Played a money game from the forward tees and it was a blast!! I felt like Dustin J for a minute. I have gone to the Big Bertha 21 woods, hybrids, and irons for now. My bag has slowly gone to Callaway except the driver. I like the sound the GOAT driver makes. I have also added a 7 hybrid because a lot of those shots, distance wise, are forced carry. Maybe next year will be the year I break par???? Since retiring I have shot more rounds in the 70's than ever before.

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

9 hours ago, platgof said:

Played a money game from the forward tees and it was a blast!! I felt like Dustin J for a minute. I have gone to the Big Bertha 21 woods, hybrids, and irons for now. My bag has slowly gone to Callaway except the driver. I like the sound the GOAT driver makes. I have also added a 7 hybrid because a lot of those shots, distance wise, are forced carry. Maybe next year will be the year I break par???? Since retiring I have shot more rounds in the 70's than ever before.

Yep, play the correct tees.  My bag, rogue 9* driver, 3,5,7,11 woods.  KZG hybrids, 26, 30, 34/, ping i20 irons, 8,9,P,U, Cleveland 58 wedge.  And a Scotty.  

7 hours ago, platgof said:

I added a 7 hybrid and really like it. Looking at adding an 8 hybrid, but that might make the game to easy. LOL, there is always chipping and putting. Maybe chip with an 8 hybrid? Hmm!

My father n law could take an 8 iron from 100 yards in and do wonders with it when he was alive! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, platgof said:

after the cold front of cold fronts.

No kidding there.  First weekend in a long time that the weather is going to close golf courses in Alabama.  All you folks up north can keep this stuff.  I prefer my hot weather any day.

Of course the forecast for Dec 31st has the high at 65° so it won't last long.  haha.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:40 PM, OnTheBag said:

No kidding there.  First weekend in a long time that the weather is going to close golf courses in Alabama.  All you folks up north can keep this stuff.  I prefer my hot weather any day.

Of course the forecast for Dec 31st has the high at 65° so it won't last long.  haha.

All right, spill the beans on your favorite courses there, or else, more winter weather.

Bag is in overhaul mode

32 minutes ago, platgof said:

All right, spill the beans on your favorite courses there, or else, more winter weather.

There's a lot of good golf in Alabama.  Most of the RTJ Trail is challenging golf.  Farm Links is another beautiful course (albeit on the easy side).  Most of the country clubs are designed by notable architects, if you can manage to get access.  

Hard for me to name a favorite.  All depends on whether you are looking for a scenic course that is easy to play or a test of your ability with every shot.  All are available in Alabama.

• Like 1

I have been adding a lot of hybrids to the bag to make the game easier, and it is working great! Today was just amazing with the hybrid shots into greens. Today was really chilly @ 45* F, and most of the ponds are still ice capped, in fact the balls skipped over the ice onto the greens. I am now @ 10.7 on my hdcp, up from 9.5, so shooting 86 in these conditions was actually pretty good, and it was the hybrids helping out. I was not hitting the ball very far as the cool weather and really damp conditions (just rained) did not help. Driving and putting were great, no complaints. I was glad just to be able to hit the ball and get 18 in. I am so glad i got the extra hybrids to help out, the 7 and 8!

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

Older but not wiser describes my senior bag. Yamaha Rmx driver and spoon with stiff Tensei shafts. TM p790 udi 17 degrees with Handcrafted Hzrdus Black 6.5 for windy days and an old Cleveland 19 degrees hybrid when not windy. Epon Af tour Mb 3-pw PX 6.5. PXG Sugardaddy wedges Kbs C Taper stiff. Scotty Newport Beach. Tried playing with different game improvement irons but they didn't help my score. They just made me depressed as now I can at least blame the clubs being too difficult. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9 Oban Airburst Cobalt 65 at 44"

Titleist TSi3 15 Oban Devotion 85 at 42"

TaylorMade P790 Udi 2i Hzrdus Black 6.5 Handcrafted

Epon AF Tour MB 3-PW Project X 6.5 / Yonex TC-Forged 3-PW Recoil Proto f5 SS

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 52 and 56 milled wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach

Now that 68 is in the rear view mirror, I finally conceded I need help filling the mid iron gaps in my game.  So, for 2023, I have my bag set as follows:

PXG Gen 5 driver - 10.5*

PXG Gen 5 - 5w, 7w

PXG Gen 5 - 5h, 6h, 7h

PXG Gen 5 - “T” 7i, 8i, 9i, Pw, Aw

PXG SDII 54*, 58*

PXG One & Done Putter

I still have my 0211 ST irons when days are warm and debating about what to do with my bag from last year (Stealth and P790’s).

The only change I “might” make is a Ping “ChipR”.  I too swore I’d never use one.  But, I never thought I’d give up my 4,5,6 irons.  

I never considered a “full bag” from any one company.  I like PXG but took each category and tested several other options and chose the best performers and factored in what looked best to me.  It was a tough competition between the Gen 5 0311 driver and my Stealth +.  I may hedge my bet and keep that one “just in case”.  The new fairway woods are as long or longer than the Stealths without the strong, closed, draw bias setup.

The real surprise is how stupid easy the Gen 5 XF hybrids are to hit.  

BTW, for all those that criticize the PXG pricing, I made a game out of those purchases and spent less than any other comparable set of driver, woods, hybrids, irons and wedges.  It took months, but was part of the fun too.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Now that 68 is in the rear view mirror, I finally conceded I need help filling the mid iron gaps in my game.  So, for 2023, I have my bag set as follows:

PXG Gen 5 driver - 10.5*

PXG Gen 5 - 5w, 7w

PXG Gen 5 - 5h, 6h, 7h

PXG Gen 5 - “T” 7i, 8i, 9i, Pw, Aw

PXG SDII 54*, 58*

PXG One & Done Putter

I still have my 0211 ST irons when days are warm and debating about what to do with my bag from last year (Stealth and P790’s).

The only change I “might” make is a Ping “ChipR”.  I too swore I’d never use one.  But, I never thought I’d give up my 4,5,6 irons.  

I never considered a “full bag” from any one company.  I like PXG but took each category and tested several other options and chose the best performers and factored in what looked best to me.  It was a tough competition between the Gen 5 0311 driver and my Stealth +.  I may hedge my bet and keep that one “just in case”.  The new fairway woods are as long or longer than the Stealths without the strong, closed, draw bias setup.

The real surprise is how stupid easy the Gen 5 XF hybrids are to hit.  

BTW, for all those that criticize the PXG pricing, I made a game out of those purchases and spent less than any other comparable set of driver, woods, hybrids, irons and wedges.  It took months, but was part of the fun too.

Sounds like we are close to age and ability. Which shafts did you end up going with your irons and driver ??? Would also be interested in the FW and hybrid shafts if would like to share. Cheers !!!

• Like 1
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

5 hours ago, 2Bad4u said:

Sounds like we are close to age and ability. Which shafts did you end up going with your irons and driver ??? Would also be interested in the FW and hybrid shafts if would like to share. Cheers !!!

Nice bag that I would definitely play. What is the length of your putter, and I would like to see what mods you did!

Bag is in overhaul mode

15 hours ago, 2Bad4u said:

Driver - R flex - Ventus Non-Velocore shaft from my old Taylormade Sim driver.  I haven’t found another shaft at that low of a cost (free) as stable as this pull from a few years ago. 

All Fairway and Hybrids - Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Orange R flex.  A new shaft for me but have found it to be really good in the Fwy and Hybrid heads - Stock option at the time I ordered

Irons and Wedges - True Temper Elevate R flex.  Stock option - These will be pulled before spring and replaced with my standard shaft - Nippon Zelos 7 R flex, the best shaft I’ve found for this old guy.  I just couldn’t find a graphite shaft that was stable enough for my taste.  The standard Mitsubishi MMT is a really good shaft.  But, I couldn’t get the height and consistency I wanted in any graphite shaft.  The light weight Nippons are more stable, reproducible and don’t cause any elbow issues for me.  

Turn 70 in July  10 HCP from the whites, very dangerous from the Senior Tees.

Driver: Sim2 Max Air Speeder Senior

3 Wood: Sim 2 Max Air Speeder Regular

5 Wood Sim 2 Max Air Speeder Regular

7 Wood Sim 2 Max Air Speeder Regular

25 Hybrid  Sim 2 Ventus Blue Regular

7-A  Irons Sim 2 Max KBS Regular

Cleveland 56 Zipcore

Cleveland 60 Black 588 RTX 2.0 

Ping Anser Dale Head Putter

On 12/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, boggyman said:

My father n law could take an 8 iron from 100 yards in and do wonders with it when he was alive! 

It’s called the lost art of shotmaking….something the bomb and gouge group just doesn’t understand…

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

16 hours ago, platgof said:

Nice bag that I would definitely play. What is the length of your putter, and I would like to see what mods you did!

Thanks bud... the putter is 34 inches and the lie angle is 74 degrees.

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

6 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Driver - R flex - Ventus Non-Velocore shaft from my old Taylormade Sim driver.  I haven’t found another shaft at that low of a cost (free) as stable as this pull from a few years ago. 

All Fairway and Hybrids - Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Orange R flex.  A new shaft for me but have found it to be really good in the Fwy and Hybrid heads - Stock option at the time I ordered

Irons and Wedges - True Temper Elevate R flex.  Stock option - These will be pulled before spring and replaced with my standard shaft - Nippon Zelos 7 R flex, the best shaft I’ve found for this old guy.  I just couldn’t find a graphite shaft that was stable enough for my taste.  The standard Mitsubishi MMT is a really good shaft.  But, I couldn’t get the height and consistency I wanted in any graphite shaft.  The light weight Nippons are more stable, reproducible and don’t cause any elbow issues for me.  

Thanks for the detailed response... other that your iron/wedge shafts I could probably play the same shafts in my clubs. I've been playing graphite shafts for the past 30+ years due to elbow and wrist pain, but absolutely zero issues since I made the change to graphite. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I bought a 9W with senior shaft and it's been good.  The softer shaft smooths out my transition in a good way.  I stuck one into my driver, the same shaft as I had been playing except A instead of R.  The effect wasn't as big but it's still there.  I'm going to experiment with senior shafts in my irons.   For reference my driver swing is 85 MPH or so, irons 70 or so.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

CPO has Super Hybrids on sale. Think I may grab a couple with the Light shaft instead of Regular and bench the Rogue ST 5 and 7. The longer fairway shaft is unreliable for me and I cannot reach a Par 5 in two so what's the point.

I am 74 and GHIN has gone from solid 7 to mediocre 14 the last few years. Shoulder surgeries didn't help. I've been keeping stats and my big miss is 150-170 and ending up in rock hard bunkers. Rarely get up and down so scrambling for bogey or worse. 

Edited by 3eagles18
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 2Bad4u said:

Thanks for the detailed response... other that your iron/wedge shafts I could probably play the same shafts in my clubs. I've been playing graphite shafts for the past 30+ years due to elbow and wrist pain, but absolutely zero issues since I made the change to graphite. Thanks again.

Glad to help.  I had a pretty severe car accident 3 years ago (broken leg, wrist and right index finger) and moved to graphite to help with the healing wrist.  I really liked the Fujikura Pro and then Mitsubishi MMT’s.  

Maybe it was just getting fully back to health, but couldn’t get the consistency I wanted.  I’ve always been a better iron player than driver, fwy and putter.  So, when I was regularly missing greens, I just had to try steel shafts.  I went back to my Nippon 950 Neo’s and saw improvements.  I just struggled with the weight.  

I had played the Zelos 7 and 8 previously and really liked them.  So, I made the switch to the 7’s.  As I migrate to the Gen 5 irons, I “think” I will switch to the Zelos.  I still have my MMT’s if that isn’t a nice match to the Gen 5 irons.

Curious what graphite shaft you are playing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Glad to help.  I had a pretty severe car accident 3 years ago (broken leg, wrist and right index finger) and moved to graphite to help with the healing wrist.  I really liked the Fujikura Pro and then Mitsubishi MMT’s.  

Maybe it was just getting fully back to health, but couldn’t get the consistency I wanted.  I’ve always been a better iron player than driver, fwy and putter.  So, when I was regularly missing greens, I just had to try steel shafts.  I went back to my Nippon 950 Neo’s and saw improvements.  I just struggled with the weight.  

I had played the Zelos 7 and 8 previously and really liked them.  So, I made the switch to the 7’s.  As I migrate to the Gen 5 irons, I “think” I will switch to the Zelos.  I still have my MMT’s if that isn’t a nice match to the Gen 5 irons.

All of my shafts are listed in my signature. Basically all of my shafts are graphite including my putter. R-flex in all shats except the driver works best for me.

Looking at possibly doing a PXG full bag so I may be moving to A-flex shafts in most if not all clubs. 

5 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Because graphite shafts are lighter, I recommend going 1/2" longer to get it close.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

The hybrids were in play all day, especially the 7. Shot 81, front 43 and back 38, the warm weather really helped the swing. Would have shot lower if the ground wasn't so saturated. I am going the Planet Fitness for improving my strength playing golf, sitting on the couch was really hurting. Bought a year membership for $99, what a deal. If your retired this is the way to go. I really enjoy it, but am taking it easy, light weights and lots of reps. I have muscles now that I never knew existed. My back is sore after playing so I need to work on strengthening it somehow; go back to the stretches probably. The driver goes longer now and sounds amazing, and the woods are also better as well. I have been working out for a month now, and the results are real.

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode