The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

A golf store carrying Japanese golf clubs was going out of business. Picked up a wierd club called a Mizuno Sure DD Hybrid.  

Tbh this is the perfect club for senior golfers.  There are 3 fairway woods and 3 hybrids.  I don't normally like hybrids but these are spectacular.  Would definitely use these as the basis of a senior set.

The way I do it is, any club that I expect to hold a green has to fly high enough off the turf to hold a firm green.   For me the 6 hybrid flies so much higher than the 6 iron that it’s no contest.  I just built a 7 hybrid.  It’s awesome but so far I can’t bring myself to dump the 7 iron.  The iron can still hold greens for me.

And I hit quite a bit higher than most seniors I play with.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I turned 66 in May and moved up to the senior tees this year (about 5,200 yards). My bag has been a work in process this year, but is largely set, as follows:

Driver - 10.5* - Callaway Epic Max 

Heavenwood - 20* - Callaway Epic Max

9-wood - 23* - Callaway Epic Max

6 Hybrid -27* - Callaway Mavrik Max

7 Hybrid - 30* - Callaway Mavrik Max

7i to SW - Ping G710 (standard lofts, red dot)

LW (58*) - Currently a New Level SPN M-grind, however I have a Maltby MAX milled on order 

"Chipper" - 42* - Cleveland Smart Sole C

The bunkers on my home course have little sand in them and some are pretty close to hard pan. I'm hopeful that the MAX milled, which has 8* of bounce will work better for me out of these bunkers than the New Level (which BTW is a great wedge). Acquiring the set SW for my Pings earlier this year has turned out to be a good move as it is a really good club for both finesse and distance wedge shots. 

• Like 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, Bob M said:

I turned 66 in May and moved up to the senior tees this year (about 5,200 yards). My bag has been a work in process this year, but is largely set, as follows:

LW (58*) - Currently a New Level SPN M-grind, however I have a Maltby MAX milled on order 

The bunkers on my home course have little sand in them and some are pretty close to hard pan. I'm hopeful that the MAX milled, which has 8* of bounce will work better for me out of these bunkers than the New Level (which BTW is a great wedge). Acquiring the set SW for my Pings earlier this year has turned out to be a good move as it is a really good club for both finesse and distance wedge shots. 

My course allows us to rake and set the golf ball if the sand is hardpan, and most are.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I am really liking the Callaway B21 fairway woods. I bought a 5 wood to try out, and was put back by the offset built in, but it does not set closed. They are also shorter than most woods, so I extended the 5 wood 3/4" and it is perfect. I have now just purchased the 7 and 9 wood to add to the bag and will extend them as well. I never thought I would replace the Sims, but these are too easy to hit, and the sound at impact is great.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Shot 78 today with three birdies. My last 5 game average is 80.8. I am supposed to be a 17 hdcp, so not sure what to do there. The equipment changes have been very rewarding, but the G Max 400 driver was the goat. I hit a few bombs(for me) that really helped. The Maverik irons are amazing, good job Callaway.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 7/3/2022 at 9:08 AM, Follow The Sun said:

I've put 5 or7, 9 and 11 woods in my bag. Rotate different irons and sometimes a chipper. Hybrids are gone. Depends on the course. Carry 14 clubs when in a cart. Not when I walk. Depends ...

Good Golfing. 

Putting a B21 9 wood in the bag today. I am extending it for my swing, and a new grip, Plus 4 mid size.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

The B21 fairway woods might be the biggest sleeper in golf. Just got a 5 to go with my 7. I'd have a 9 if they made it in leftie. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

So, my "Senior" bag. 

Driver   : Ping g425 SFT 10.5(@ 10*)

3 wood: Callaway Diablo Octane 15*

Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper 18*, 21*

Irons     : GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons                  24*-46*

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2's 50*, 54*,                   58*

Putter   : Cleveland Huntington                    Beach Soft 11c (         center  shafted)         

The hybrid irons is a giveaway that I am a senior player. A lot of people ask about my clubs. 

Edited by drb1956
spacing

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

Almost 60, my senior bag is all PXG with the most forgiving clubs they offer.  Truth be told, I might’ve been better served going with another hybrid instead of 5 iron.

i have Project X Cypher 5.5 shafts 60 gram in all the irons/hybrids and 5.5 50g in the driver/3W.  I think a lot golfers with lower swing speeds would benefit from the Cyphers.

PXG GEN4 XF Driver, 3W, 19H, 22H

PXG GEN4 XP irons 5-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy II wedges 50,54,60

PXG Bat Attack Putter

I’m playing Srixon Q Star tour balls.

Edited by Kid Frisco
  • Like 1

I'm not a senior, just senior-curious 😉

I actually turn 51 this year, so not quite a senior. BUT I've always had a slow swing and limited flexibility, and I've always played regular flex clubs, usually in steel. I've been gaming the Callaway Maverick Max irons with steel, regular flex shafts. When I saw the new CW Rogue ST Max line, I was very interested cuz I also game that driver. BUT I was also curious about moving to a graphite senior shaft. See, for Father's Day this year, my kids bought me a membership to an indoor golf simulator, which is a blessing in southern Utah where's 110 through the summer and too hot to golf. I've been tracking stats and realized that my swing speed was MUCH slower than I thought, in senior flex territory. So I bought a half set of the CW Rogue ST Max OS clubs (6i, 8i, pw) in graphite senior flex, and WOW! What a difference. Launching the ball high was always a challenge, but the combination of new tech and lighter flex really helps with that problem. Plus, these irons look great. I had a set of CW Epic irons, and they were ugly as hell (bought used, way too expensive new), then moved to the Mavericks, which I thought looked great, but these new Rogue ST Max irons are gorgeous! 

• Like 1

Most players of all ages use shafts stiffer and heavier than they probably should, mostly because they don't know the true up and down sides of different flexes and different flex patterns. I just went to L flex in my driver and I'm now getting the same launch height I did ten years ago with R flex, and close to the same distance. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

7 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Most players of all ages use shafts stiffer and heavier than they probably should, mostly because they don't know the true up and down sides of different flexes and different flex patterns. I just went to L flex in my driver and I'm now getting the same launch height I did ten years ago with R flex, and close to the same distance. 

I just bought a UST Mamyima Helium Black 4 shaft in senior flex for my driver. I hope to get the advantages you mention cuz right now I can't hit that thing to save my life. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tele_pathic said:

I just bought a UST Mamyima Helium Black 4 shaft in senior flex for my driver. I hope to get the advantages you mention cuz right now I can't hit that thing to save my life. 

if your transition is fairly quick, especially a shorter swing and quick, even at a very moderate swingspeed, a softer shaft (or at least that one for you) may not be a fit for feel and consistent contact.

Edited by myspinonit

16 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Agree most folks play wrong weight and shaft flex.

Handicap:  3

I play at longer lengths with the driver, over 46". Finally hit the Callaway BB21 9 wood, and it is easily the best club in the bag. I hit 7 wood, then for the fun of it, hit the 9 wood, the 9 wood was longer, amazing. I picked up 3 pars because of this club. Got the BB 21 driver from Callaway pre owned today and will try to hit it tomorrow. It was in horrible condition, I expect better from Callaway, ridiculous. I cleaned it up and put a shaft extension in it. Will put a plus 4 grip on after that.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

The Ping G Max is the best senior driver you can buy, the ball explodes off of the face. Just a matter of finding the right shaft and length. I am trying 46 1/4" right now, down from 47". I really like flexible shafts as I am very smooth in transition, something between L and A flex.

Bag is in overhaul mode

27 minutes ago, platgof said:

The Ping G Max is the best senior driver you can buy, the ball explodes off of the face. Just a matter of finding the right shaft and length. I am trying 46 1/4" right now, down from 47". I really like flexible shafts as I am very smooth in transition, something between L and A flex.

You carrying the hill on #12 at Western? 

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Age is just a number.  At 65 I am gaming PXG Gen 5 5-GW with SF 110 Stiff, Stealth 4 wood Ventus Velocore Red Stiff, Stealth 7 wood with Ventus Velocore Red Stiff and Rogue ST MAX LS Ventus TR Blue Stiff.  Have had to move from X to Stiff and have lost a little pop but still get around ok as a 7 HCP.  I'm sure the day will come when I need to step down to Regular and if God is willing to let me keep playing long enough Senior Flex.  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:13 AM, Bob M said:

Update:

I switched out the HW for an Epic Max 5-wood, which I hit more consistently (the shaft is about 1/2" shorter) and a bit farther. For my LW, I am using a Cally JAWS Raw 58* "Z" grind which works great from the fairway and rough and also our thin bunkers. I have dropped the chipper (great club, but I tended to over use it) and am considering replacing my 7i with a Cally Rogue ST Max OS 8 hybrid. 

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

5 hours ago, platgof said:

I am playing the senior tees and usually 100 yards out form the pin.

I'm finding a lot more fun this year gearing to the 5400-5600 tee range (using the 36 x 5 iron distance guideline) that has the advantage too of using all the clubs in my bag more often. Sometimes they are combo tees, sometimes the "reds" depending on the course.

Let's stop calling them "senior" or "ladies" tees.🙂 They are just the more forward tees that are appropriate for our distances and preference.

I'm pleased to see that a lot of the courses around here have put in the combo tee options, but they don't all promote them well or make them visible on scorecards. A lot of guys I play with have adopted the combo tees once they came available or to the more forward after trying out the combos as any forward tee stigma is diminished. 

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 2

I played today with the boys and just played 9 trying to fully recover from Colitis. I shot 41 from the watershed tees at The River Club. Putting is way better with the 11 putter from Odyssey. Alignment is so easy on long putts. I am still doing something wrong on short putts but have plenty of time to fix it. Irons were sizzling, incredible, awesome, just flat out working for me!!! 

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 11:30 AM, myspinonit said:

I'm finding a lot more fun this year gearing to the 5400-5600 tee range (using the 36 x 5 iron distance guideline) that has the advantage too of using all the clubs in my bag more often. Sometimes they are combo tees, sometimes the "reds" depending on the course.

Let's stop calling them "senior" or "ladies" tees.🙂 They are just the more forward tees that are appropriate for our distances and preference.

I'm pleased to see that a lot of the courses around here have put in the combo tee options, but they don't all promote them well or make them visible on scorecards. A lot of guys I play with have adopted the combo tees once they came available or to the more forward after trying out the combos as any forward tee stigma is diminished. 

Some courses just number them 1,2,3, and 4, much simpler. Some courses have ridiculously long lengths from the forward tees, get real. 

Bag is in overhaul mode