Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

14 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

I played there yesterday afternoon and agree with your statements.  The greens sure were hard and i had a couple nice short iron shots that would not hold the green.  

Yeah, the grain pulls the putts quite a bit and they were pretty firm. Didn't check or hold as much as I'm used to and you almost had to play to the front of the green which helped me in a few situations. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Irons TBD

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Putter TBD

Titleist Pro V1

I am about to apply to Colonial Country Club to get on their waiting list. I really enjoyed the environment and the whole experience there. My work colleague is going to sponsor me. 

I will explore other options as well. Any recommendations?

Shady Oaks

Mira Vista

River Chase

Regela 

Any others I should look at? I feel like since I already know my colleague and have a sponsor, it is much easier to go this route. I live in SW Fort Worth and would rather have a course nearby.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

8 hours ago, gs1184 said:

I am about to apply to Colonial Country Club to get on their waiting list. I really enjoyed the environment and the whole experience there. My work colleague is going to sponsor me. 

Shady Oaks

Mira Vista

River Chase

Regela 

Any others I should look at? I feel like since I already know my colleague and have a sponsor, it is much easier to go this route. I live in SW Fort Worth and would rather have a course nearby.

I have played a couple of them and they are all obviously nice i guess it comes down to if you can get in and how long the wait list is.  Have they decided on where all the Colonial members will be able to play during the course redo?

6 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

I have played a couple of them and they are all obviously nice i guess it comes down to if you can get in and how long the wait list is.  Have they decided on where all the Colonial members will be able to play during the course redo?

Looks like they may be playing Squaw Creek either discounted or colonial is going to for the bill.

I emailed the other clubs listed as well.

20 hours ago, gs1184 said:

Shady Oaks

Mira Vista

River Chase

Regela 

Shady oaks, and Mira vista both are fantastic. But since you’re going CC don’t forget your new friend as a guest!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gs1184 said:

Shady Oaks

Mira Vista

River Chase

Regela 

Shady Oaks is by far the best course if money isn't a limitation. Otherwise, I would say stick with Colonial, they will for sure do it right, will take a year though.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 2:37 AM, gs1184 said:

Shady Oaks

Mira Vista

River Chase

Regela 

Mira Vista is by far the best course for the money IMO. First hole is dumb but the rest of the course is excellent as is the practice facility.

Visiting DFW for the first time next week for a wedding, staying in North Dallas area. Have 3 days before the wedding so figured I'd try to get some golf in. Playing Wed-Friday, have this as my tentative schedule playing solo (not many friends who golf at the wedding sadly). I haven't played yet this year coming from the northeast (except on sim) and play off a 14 hcp so anticipate some high scores!

Wed: Watters Creek AM, Heritage Ranch PM

Thurs: Firewheel Bridges AM, Firewheel Lakes PM

Friday: Have room for 18 in the morning, either texas star, tribute, or pecan hollow?

1 hour ago, formerlydecentgolfer said:

Visiting DFW for the first time next week for a wedding, staying in North Dallas area. Have 3 days before the wedding so figured I'd try to get some golf in. Playing Wed-Friday, have this as my tentative schedule playing solo (not many friends who golf at the wedding sadly). I haven't played yet this year coming from the northeast (except on sim) and play off a 14 hcp so anticipate some high scores!

Wed: Watters Creek AM, Heritage Ranch PM

Thurs: Firewheel Bridges AM, Firewheel Lakes PM

Friday: Have room for 18 in the morning, either texas star, tribute, or pecan hollow?

I would skip Firewheel and play Old American and Tribute on Thursday.  Then you play Texas Star and Pecan Friday. You could also pair up Texas Star and Rangers as they are close to each other. 

Rockwood update....Not good!

Regretfully, due to the incorrect application of herbicides at Rockwood Park Golf Course, the putting greens have been damaged, and will require special treatment to return them to their normal conditions. 

As a result of this unfortunate treatment, the regularly used greens will be closed for play beginning Tuesday, April 18, as temporary greens will be in use on all 18 holes and the six-hole River’s Edge practice course.

The closure is expected to be for six to eight weeks to allow for repairs and proper growth period without foot traffic.  The greens will be closely monitored and reopened when healthy.  Green fees to play the courses will be reduced during the time temporary greens are in use.

“We are all disappointed, but are working hard and consulting with the right people to ensure the course is back to its normal great conditions as quickly as possible,” stated Dave Lewis, interim director of the City of Fort Worth Park & Recreation Department.

Treatment will consist of applying a product to neutralize the effects of the incorrect herbicide, along with additional fertilization cycles and rest from use. Agronomy experts from the U.S. Golf Association, Texas A&M University, Tarleton State University, Pacific Agricultural Laboratory and other industry leaders were consulted with to design the treatment plan.

• Like 1

Yeah that’s f*****. Leave it to FW to eventually screw up their one good city course 

Titleist 915 D3 - Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X
Titleist 917f - Tour AD DI 7s
Adams XTD DHy 3 - KBS C Taper Lite S

Callaway Apex Utility 24 - Aerotech i110 XStiff
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
TaylorMade R Series - 52, 56, 60 - Modus 120x
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

10 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Rockwood update....Not good!

Regretfully, due to the incorrect application of herbicides at Rockwood Park Golf Course, the putting greens have been damaged, and will require special treatment to return them to their normal conditions. 

As a result of this unfortunate treatment, the regularly used greens will be closed for play beginning Tuesday, April 18, as temporary greens will be in use on all 18 holes and the six-hole River’s Edge practice course.

The closure is expected to be for six to eight weeks to allow for repairs and proper growth period without foot traffic.  The greens will be closely monitored and reopened when healthy.  Green fees to play the courses will be reduced during the time temporary greens are in use.

“We are all disappointed, but are working hard and consulting with the right people to ensure the course is back to its normal great conditions as quickly as possible,” stated Dave Lewis, interim director of the City of Fort Worth Park & Recreation Department.

Treatment will consist of applying a product to neutralize the effects of the incorrect herbicide, along with additional fertilization cycles and rest from use. Agronomy experts from the U.S. Golf Association, Texas A&M University, Tarleton State University, Pacific Agricultural Laboratory and other industry leaders were consulted with to design the treatment plan.

10 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

What happened to the green?

The greens in general are in rough shape out there. Not sure why. 

Played out there the last three days in a row including today. I love this course but honestly the greens are horrendous. Much worse than last year. They seem to be aggressive about fixing them though. On Monday they had a temporary green on 13 and were completely redoing the green. On Tuesday they started the same thing on 9. Today it looks like they’re right about to do it on 11 as well (temp green clearly mowed into the apron but not in use yet). 

There are several other greens that will need the same treatment imo. Very hard to score with bumpy, patchy, sandy, fertilizer messes on the putting surface. I’ll probably keep playing out there through the reno because of my Arcis membership, but if I were paying rack rate I’d steer clear for a few weeks or more. 

That being said I may use this opportunity to try some other courses out. Keep hearing good things about Heritage Ranch.  

Edited by JetSpeed79

3 hours ago, JetSpeed79 said:

The greens in general are in rough shape out there. Not sure why. 

Played out there the last three days in a row including today. I love this course but honestly the greens are horrendous. Much worse than last year. They seem to be aggressive about fixing them though. On Monday they had a temporary green on 13 and were completely redoing the green. On Tuesday they started the same thing on 9. Today it looks like they’re right about to do it on 11 as well (temp green clearly mowed into the apron but not in use yet). 

There are several other greens that will need the same treatment imo. Very hard to score with bumpy, patchy, sandy, fertilizer messes on the putting surface. I’ll probably keep playing out there through the reno because of my Arcis membership, but if I were paying rack rate I’d steer clear for a few weeks or more. 

That being said I may use this opportunity to try some other courses out. Keep hearing good things about Heritage Farms. 

Heritage Ranch is nice but they just bummed their rates up so take a look especially if you are use to paying the Arcis rate at your courses.  

• Like 1

Visited Ridglea yesterday and Mira Vista today. Ridglea was nice and has pretty nice facilities. The north course (at least what I could see) is pretty nice. I found it interesting that the South Course is men’s only with its own clubhouse (glorified men’s locker room, I guess) but at least they offer family areas. 

Mira Vista was just awesome. They are the least presumptuous country club I been to. They even took me on a cart around a few of the holes on the golf course. The men’s locker room was a lounge area with a bar, lockers, jacuzzi and steam room. They have a similar women’s locker room as well. The course was utterly gorgeous with incredible views. Best part is that junior memberships go later than the others. Definitely a strong consideration. 

93DF410C-212F-414C-AA1C-ADF439025C70.jpeg

F164AB20-1D15-4106-B6EE-474948B2232A.jpeg

591F419E-4607-4A99-B9E8-82300E5CA9C4.jpeg

D4EA38C5-A3D3-4315-801A-F34AAF29040B.jpeg

22D01299-8373-488F-BA91-B0D46145747D.jpeg

EFD8A693-9AE2-4474-9DC7-FFDC12A19A10.jpeg

5B3A6A8E-F1C5-4686-BFF8-8407ADBDFA3D.jpeg

47E46E05-75A4-48B8-BE90-3CF9A9A12565.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gs1184 said:

Visited Ridglea yesterday and Mira Vista today. Ridglea was nice and has pretty nice facilities. The north course (at least what I could see) is pretty nice. I found it interesting that the South Course is men’s only with its own clubhouse (glorified men’s locker room, I guess) but at least they offer family areas. 

Mira Vista was just awesome. They are the least presumptuous country club I been to. They even took me on a cart around a few of the holes on the golf course. The men’s locker room was a lounge area with a bar, lockers, jacuzzi and steam room. They have a similar women’s locker room as well. The course was utterly gorgeous with incredible views. Best part is that junior memberships go later than the others. Definitely a strong consideration. 

93DF410C-212F-414C-AA1C-ADF439025C70.jpeg

F164AB20-1D15-4106-B6EE-474948B2232A.jpeg

591F419E-4607-4A99-B9E8-82300E5CA9C4.jpeg

D4EA38C5-A3D3-4315-801A-F34AAF29040B.jpeg

22D01299-8373-488F-BA91-B0D46145747D.jpeg

EFD8A693-9AE2-4474-9DC7-FFDC12A19A10.jpeg

5B3A6A8E-F1C5-4686-BFF8-8407ADBDFA3D.jpeg

47E46E05-75A4-48B8-BE90-3CF9A9A12565.jpeg

That place looks great. Looks like they escaped the extreme winter kill that the Dallas courses had. Really cool range too!

Edited by TexasTurf

8 hours ago, tlknight said:

Played Indian Creek - Creek course yesterday. 

About 6 greens full of poa annua, would avoid until the heat burns it out. 

On a side note I cannot understand why they won’t return the rakes to the bunkers. Not a single rake on the course. Stupid. 

Agreed. Also, the soil out there really makes for some up and down lies in the fairway. Probably some of the toughest undulating conditions tee to green in the area 

16 hours ago, callawayjay said:

Agreed. Also, the soil out there really makes for some up and down lies in the fairway. Probably some of the toughest undulating conditions tee to green in the area 

Recently played out there for the first time at the Creek course and agree. Poa I know has been a problem a lot of places, but definitely some holes visually intimidating with a mix of uneven lies and interesting mounding on the greens. Wouldn't want to play it consistently but a neat layout.