Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

On 2/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, bodhi555 said:

Thanks again for the suggestions folks - just to follow up myself and a friend went for a round at Texas Star on Sunday, and very enjoyable it was too. Nice and open, hospitality was fantastic, and we played with a single who guided us round. First 4 holes were terrible (in terms of my golf) as Jet Lag, rentals and good golf aren't the easiest combination to make work, but the arrival of the beverage cart on the 5th resulted in much better golf, and believe I was 6 or 7 over for the remaining holes. 

I really like the Par 5s on the back 9 - 10 and 18 - which took some thinking round, and I liked the big dogleg right on the back 9 (13?). 

It was very strange playing a burnt out and muddy course, and the greens - whilst rolling well - were difficult to read, but I would definitely play again. 

Rentals were amusing also, with Mavrik irons and woods. The 205 yard 6 irons were always fun, although there was a bit of a gap at the bottom of the bag. 

12 is the big dogleg right and 13 is the big dogleg left.  You like you 12 you are a sick man sir!

Edited by cjblake09

Trying to play some courses i have not played in a while.  Today was Bear Creek East, probably been 20 years since i have played it.  I have always seemed to play the West when i went out there.  Overall it was in nice shape with the expected winter bare areas and had some poe anna on the greens but not terrible.  They stack the tee times so play was a little slow at 4:30 today.  

14 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

12 is the big dogleg right and 13 is the big dogleg left.  You like you 2 you are a sick man sir!

Ah yeah I enjoyed both 12 and 13. 13 I managed to get my drive to start bounding down the hill so only had around 100 left in - right in the gap between the Mavrik A wedge and 56 degree Jaws they gave me :) 

STill got up and down from the big mound at the back, so no harm done. 

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

7 hours ago, bodhi555 said:

Ah yeah I enjoyed both 12 and 13. 13 I managed to get my drive to start bounding down the hill so only had around 100 left in - right in the gap between the Mavrik A wedge and 56 degree Jaws they gave me 🙂

STill got up and down from the big mound at the back, so no harm done. 

I cant get down the hill unless I hit from the up white tees. That green, as well as 12 slopes away so holding shots can be difficult 

First off, Sorry for a somewhat repetitive post.  I have scanned the history of this thread, not read every page though.  Some of my search had some real dated answers so I figured I'd start the ask all over. 

I moved to DFW (Colleyville/Keller) recently and looking for some golf course ideas.  I never have been a member of a country club because I had the luxury of a couple buddies being members at the good ones where I previously lived (Arkansas, obviously ha) and could play easily whichever one we wanted. Given the change in life though I would be very interested in joining on down here, but appears I am not very close to many of the popular choices.  I moved down here in the beginning of winter and haven't even tried any of the public courses.  I live right in between TImarron and Sky Creek ranch. 

After reading here, I am a little hesitant of Timarron being it is Clubcorp owned and you guys have laid some very worrisome things about Clubcorp (every decision bottom line driven, etc) along with Timarron is not as family setup as I would have hoped.  

What other good recommendations would you guys have for a younger family with a good golf course and all the amenities?  I'd get a lot more use out of it if it wasn't 30+ minute drive which really reduces my options given where we decided to live.  

7 hours ago, Razorbackgolfer said:

First off, Sorry for a somewhat repetitive post.  I have scanned the history of this thread, not read every page though.  Some of my search had some real dated answers so I figured I'd start the ask all over. 

I moved to DFW (Colleyville/Keller) recently and looking for some golf course ideas.  I never have been a member of a country club because I had the luxury of a couple buddies being members at the good ones where I previously lived (Arkansas, obviously ha) and could play easily whichever one we wanted. Given the change in life though I would be very interested in joining on down here, but appears I am not very close to many of the popular choices.  I moved down here in the beginning of winter and haven't even tried any of the public courses.  I live right in between TImarron and Sky Creek ranch. 

After reading here, I am a little hesitant of Timarron being it is Clubcorp owned and you guys have laid some very worrisome things about Clubcorp (every decision bottom line driven, etc) along with Timarron is not as family setup as I would have hoped.  

What other good recommendations would you guys have for a younger family with a good golf course and all the amenities?  I'd get a lot more use out of it if it wasn't 30+ minute drive which really reduces my options given where we decided to live.  

Not much else over that way unless you want to pony for for Vaquero.

7 hours ago, Razorbackgolfer said:

Ha well from a quick google, I’d need to borrow some with no repayment option.  You offering!?  

is the coubcorp world as bad as some of the last reviews on here?

ClubCorp rebranded to Invited recently. Maybe it was time to try and fool a new crowd.

As a former ClubCorp member, and current member elsewhere now, I'd quit golf before joining ClubCorp again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dfwgolf123 said:

ClubCorp rebranded to Invited recently. Maybe it was time to try and fool a new crowd.

As a former ClubCorp member, and current member elsewhere now, I'd quit golf before joining ClubCorp again. 

Yep, as with all private equity golf management companies, bottom line is the bottom line... Courses, facilities and Members all suffer to some extent...

1 hour ago, dfwgolf123 said:

Where did you go?  

it’s these comments that make me keep thinking of just joining somewhere that I’m going to have to drive to which is back to my original question for some ideas hopefully closer than McKinney (just for example)

9 hours ago, Razorbackgolfer said:

Where did you go?  

it’s these comments that make me keep thinking of just joining somewhere that I’m going to have to drive to which is back to my original question for some ideas hopefully closer than McKinney (just for example)

Depends what you want. If you go the Fort worth route you have RidgeLea and Mira Vista but it is a drive. Las Colinas (clubcorp), Lantana about 30 minutes. 

Rangers and Cowboys both have membership golf options as well as Sky Creek. No pool, fitness or Tennis.

Edited by cval
Typo

23 hours ago, Razorbackgolfer said:

Where did you go?  

It's 45 minutes from Colleyville/Keller so wouldn't work. Sorry, I don't have any recs near Colleyville/Keller

You could check into Hackberry Creek. It would better fit your criteria as to family atmosphere and distance. Yes, it is Club Corp owned. I belonged to Hackberry in the 1990s and had no complaints about their management. Maybe you could find a way to talk to some current members there. There is also Trophy Club nearby your location. Also a  Club Corp. facility but would fit your criteria. I never experienced the bad stuff about Club Corp that others have. But I understand things have changer since RHDSr. passed and ownership passed hands. 

Just curious how everyone is finding course conditions with regards to fairways, rough, and tee boxes? Seems like things are thinner than usual this year.

I'm trying to figure out if things are just as thin this time of year as it's always been or if things seem thinner because I'm getting older, lol. 

12 hours ago, North Texas said:

Just curious how everyone is finding course conditions with regards to fairways, rough, and tee boxes? Seems like things are thinner than usual this year.

I'm trying to figure out if things are just as thin this time of year as it's always been or if things seem thinner because I'm getting older, lol. 

Definitely thinner to me. Hit some great touch shots only to follow with a turd. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:26 PM, North Texas said:

Tennison Park was pretty bare yesterday as well.  Tee boxes were really bad but greens rolled smooth but not very fast.   Bright side we walked it in under 3 hours as a threesome. 

Edited by cjblake09

On 3/1/2023 at 8:14 PM, cjblake09 said:

Forgot to post that Stevens Park was nice over the weekend.  Greens were fine and bunkers were good.  The guy we played with said Cedar Crest was getting ready to punch.  I also saw that Prestonwood CC punched on Monday so please update if you know or hear of them punching the greens.  

Cedar Crest about to aerify bermuda greens in March?!?!?!?! 🙃 Unbelievable...

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"