Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

15 hours ago, North Texas said:

Don't know where things currently stand with Coyote Ridge, but I did a quick search and looks like the M & P Group is managing the course. Thought Troon golf was but looks like they were only involved for about a year or so. No clue how accurate any of this is. 

I'm assuming the M is for Moon. P probably for "Poaching." Looks like they acquired Shady Valley in Arlington as well. No online presence.  Low end scammers in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 6:45 PM, callawayjay said:

Played Coyote Ridge today in a tournament and it’s in awful shape. Borderline unplayable. The rough is up. The tee boxes are bare. The bunkers are all being fixed and the overgrowth makes it look terrible. I don’t know what sam moon and his $100 green fees is doing with the money but it’s just awful 

Moon sold the course a while back.  New management is there and they're supposed to be pouring money into the back 9 to fix it up at some point.  They upped the fees for the members as well.  I don't have a membership, but some buddies do.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

28 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

Moon sold the course a while back.  New management is there and they're supposed to be pouring money into the back 9 to fix it up at some point.  They upped the fees for the members as well.  I don't have a membership, but some buddies do.  

https://www.mpgroupus.com/

Edited by snagy2000

I don’t care who bought it. It’s always been kind of a joke. An opulent clubhouse and a range that forces you to hit off mats. A course that seems to have been built by someone who has never built a course before. 

you fight through hole 9 and then you’re forced to deal with 10 and 11, a breather section and then 15 with the farcical green. It’s just a hot mess. It just seems way too contrived 

i could not imagine paying membership dues there. 

nice clubhouse tho. 

2 hours ago, 968cab said:

I’m aware, one of the many reasons we sold that house…along with the broken windows. 🙄

The air quality regulators were always there taking measurements and trying to wrangle Waste Management into compliance 

I actually used to be one of those air quality regulators. All we could do was send letters. Letters, letters, and more mail. Nothing ever happened. So I quit. Embarrassed to this day to our lack of ability to improve anything.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, callawayjay said:

I don’t care who bought it. It’s always been kind of a joke. An opulent clubhouse and a range that forces you to hit off mats. A course that seems to have been built by someone who has never built a course before. 

you fight through hole 9 and then you’re forced to deal with 10 and 11, a breather section and then 15 with the farcical green. It’s just a hot mess. It just seems way too contrived 

i could not imagine paying membership dues there. 

nice clubhouse tho. 

I hate to bash a course especially with some good holes on the front but that course never comes to mind when i am looking for places to play.  The list seems to be growing of courses that have lost their greens but hopefully this rain and cooler weather will help get them back quick. 

It is funny to me how some courses are always fine and others cant keep up the maintenance.   You would think with how packed every course is and what they can now charge they would do whatever they could to keep the course playing/looking its best.  

Edited by cjblake09
  • Like 3

That’s what I don’t understand…where is the money going??  A lot of “high end” courses around the metroplex.  Theoretically, based upon rounds played and rates, they are making more money than they ever have.  Time to reinvest SOME of it. 

They smile while they collect your $100-125, yet I see sandless sand traps, tee boxes with sparse grass, range buckets with no handles, range balls with no dimples, rundown and damaged carts, pins that lean over in the cup (how much can 18 cups and pins really cost??), etc etc etc.

Disheartening.  

Edited by 968cab

6 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

I hate the bash a course especially with some good holes on the front but that course never comes to mind when i am looking for places to play.  The list seems to be growing of courses that have lost their greens but hopefully this rain and cooler weather will help get them back quick. 

It is funny to me how some courses are always fine and others cant keep up the maintenance.   You would think with how packed every course is and what they can now charge they would do whatever they could to keep the course playing/looking its best.  

It’s never my intention to bash but at $100 that’s inexcusable. There’s a reason why the course is never really front of mind. I’m just informing others to not make the same mistake. 

had it not been a league event I would never have played there. 

5 hours ago, callawayjay said:

It’s never my intention to bash but at $100 that’s inexcusable. There’s a reason why the course is never really front of mind. I’m just informing others to not make the same mistake. 

had it not been a league event I would never have played there. 

I totally agree with you sorry if it did not come across that way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 968cab said:

That’s what I don’t understand…where is the money going??  A lot of “high end” courses around the metroplex.  Theoretically, based upon rounds played and rates, they are making more money than they ever have.  Time to reinvest SOME of it. 

They smile while they collect your $100-125, yet I see sandless sand traps, tee boxes with sparse grass, range buckets with no handles, range balls with no dimples, rundown and damaged carts, pins that lean over in the cup (how much can 18 cups and pins really cost??), etc etc etc.

Disheartening.  

"pins that lean over in the cup (how much can 18 cups and pins really cost??)"

This is one of my big pet peeves! It's nothing more than a sign of cheapness 🙁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, North Texas said:

"pins that lean over in the cup (how much can 18 cups and pins really cost??)"

This is one of my big pet peeves! It's nothing more than a sign of cheapness 🙁

So there is a bigger backstory to this. The companies that make the best cups and the best flagsticks are not the same. So if you want great cups and bad flagsticks, they will stand straight up. If you want cheap plastic cups and good flagsticks, they will stand straight up. If you want good metal cups and good flagsticks the sizes are slightly different and they will lean to the side. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

So there is a bigger backstory to this. The companies that make the best cups and the best flagsticks are not the same. So if you want great cups and bad flagsticks, they will stand straight up. If you want cheap plastic cups and good flagsticks, they will stand straight up. If you want good metal cups and good flagsticks the sizes are slightly different and they will lean to the side. 

I didn't know that. I played Gentle Creek a few weeks ago and their flagsticks did not lean.

But this is something that any good course superintendent should know, right?

Edited by North Texas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

🤣🤣🤣

Straight out of my military days…if both parts are needed for something to work, 99% chance they can’t be stored or shipped together. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, North Texas said:

I didn't know that. I played Gentle Creek a few weeks ago and their flagsticks did not lean.

But this is something that any good course superintendent should know, right?

Absolutely, you make it work. There is always a way to make it work. It's not really noticeable unless it's really bad. Just venting about supplies. I agree with you. I was robbed of my first hole in one by a pool noodle in the cup last year, and an eagle in a pivotal match by a thick British flagstick we were trying out (to fix the not fitting issue) this year.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 11:35 PM, TexasTurf said:

I'm assuming the M is for Moon. P probably for "Poaching." Looks like they acquired Shady Valley in Arlington as well. No online presence.  Low end scammers in my opinion. 

They just bought our course in Tyler. The last name is Choi, he has done well in construction in the Dallas area. Our club house was flooded back in the February 2020 storm and the old owner sold it to Choi about a year ago. We still have no clubhouse but the course is in pretty good shape.

I'm sure once the clubhouse is done(they said april 2023) they will jack up the dues. 

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

5 months until I move to the metroplex. Currently looking for places to live, mostly in Fort Worth since I will be working at Cook Childrens. What golf courses do you all recommend me to try first? I may pay a visit in the near future when I start physically looking for homes.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

Played Indian Creek yesterday- Creek course. 

Overall good shape. Greens smooth with decent speed. It’s obvious they are behind on mowing from the rain and trying to get caught up. It was still cart paths only. 

Bunkers were in great shape but I do not understand why they have not returned the rakes to them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gs1184 said:

5 months until I move to the metroplex. Currently looking for places to live, mostly in Fort Worth since I will be working at Cook Childrens. What golf courses do you all recommend me to try first? I may pay a visit in the near future when I start physically looking for homes.

In case you didn't see his post right below yours, @callawayjay is one of several extremely knowledgable posters on here when it comes to talking golf courses in the area. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, callawayjay said:

That part of town, no order….

waterchase

texas star 

rockwood 

hawks creek

split rail

fossil Creek

Hit me up!

I will certainly PM you once I am in the area.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

13 hours ago, North Texas said:

In case you didn't see his post right below yours, @callawayjay is one of several extremely knowledgable posters on here when it comes to talking golf courses in the area. 

Ty for the kind words!  Prolly 10/10 knowledge of Tarrant country and 7/10 for collin and dallas. 

• Like 2

Going to be staying a few nights downtown in Dallas in a few weeks. I have time to play one round. What would you guys recommend that wouldn’t be too hard to get onto?

I don’t mind driving a little ways. I was thinking the Tribute, but I can’t make a tee time more than a week out and I’m not sure how tough it will be to get on.