2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

3 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Curious what they are charging for 18 now.   How is the conditioning?   I wasn't sure if they were even going to be operating after the sale of the course and if they would keep calling it Midlane.  Let us know if you found out any info about that.   I should get over and use their range and practice facility.  Shorter drive for me to go there rather than all the way to Pine Meadow. 

I'm not sure as I am a member, but last fall when I brought a friend it was 49 to ride on the weekend. The conditioning is way better than its rep. The newer guy Austin is really trying to get rid of that stigma and is doing a great job. Right now would not be a good time to play though as the front is flooded and can not play a hole. They are pumping away as we speak and hope to have it solved by the end of the week. I love the lay out and the greens are very nice right now. Played the back twice yesterday and it played wonderfully. I just love the 17th par 3 favorite hole on the course

2 hours ago, rolling green said:

I would like to know too, thought Midlane was closed down.  Good to hear it's still alive as there's always a tee time when you're desperate  

Midlane was sold to a group who seem to want to leave it alone. The company running it now has a lease till the end of the year. They run many golf courses in the area and said the new owners seem like nothing will change this year at least, but they think it will not change much after that. It is def. up and running

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 7:28 AM, TBone0576 said:

Brighton Dale Links starting 6am tee times tomorrow.  Going to be only the 2nd time out this year without a frost delay and the other time was an 8am tee time.  Course in pretty good shape, they have a new super who spent time time at Medinah some years back.  Cut a lot of the trees back so much easier to find your ball if you go in there.  Been cart paths only thus far.  First year getting a cart pass and I hope it pays off.   I have the 6am tomorrow and Sunday.  Might be rainy Sunday but if not pouring and no lightning I am going to play.  Last weekend Saturday we got out and the three of us played in 2:15 so hard to beat that kind of pace.  All depends on if the clubhouse lets people off the back for a quick 9 holes or not.  Really don't like it when they do that.   Headed up to Lawsonia next Sunday for 36 so looking forward to that.  Hard to beat $130 with cart to play both courses early in the season.   Never been so it should be interesting. 

BD is a good track both courses. I have played there 30 plus times a year for about 8 years in a row. I dont play out there much anymore becasue I am not a fan of the people running it, total jerks sometimes. Be ready for many delays and no cart days if it might rain

9 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Prairie View was interesting on Saturday.  They stated over 2 inches of rain fell, but you'd never had known that from the conditions.  There were a few mud balls but those were in low areas of the fairways or rough.  Only 1 bunker on the entire course had water in it (hole 5) and the other bunkers were in pristine condition and had been groomed in the AM.  Believe me, I saw quite a few bunkers on Saturday, so I'm confident in this assessment.

The greens were in amazing condition. They were lightening fast, firm, but holding shots from the fairway. I'm a 1/3rd-2/3rds chipper and I learned after the second chip to reduce that dramatically. They also did a controlled burn on most native areas of the course, so the aesthetics that are normally an asset for PV were a golf ball laden liability.  If you were looking to pick up 10-12 dozen of your favorite brand I'm certain that you could easily find your brand, color, etc. PV has also removed a lot of trees which is helping to add to the health of the course.   It looks a bit different, but healthy courses are clearly the appropriate trend.

We were stuck behind a 4some and 3some that weren't the fastest, but we managed to get around in 4 hours, which is fine.  The winds were the defense of the course Saturday and a variety of shots, including putts, were impacted by the winds.

Still of the believe that PV is one of the best values in the Chicago area.  It's an easy drive, fun layout, great conditions, good people running the place and a decent pace of play.

It's always amazing to see how many get caught in the prairie areas out there.   Sometimes I'll grab a bunch just to have some balls to whack out into the field.  

Edited by ericschlukebir
typo

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Nike VR Pro Combo 5-9 iron

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

Hey guys - just moved to Chicago and looking for some people to play with who wouldn't mind some betting and friendly competition. I'm a +3 and in my mid/late 20s. Haven't played any courses out here before so could use some advice.

Edited by Ahmedelta123

TM SIM Driver 8.0 | Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo VI X-Flex

TM SIM Titanium 3 Wood | Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7x

TM P790 UDI | Graphite Design Tour AD Hybrid IZ-95x

Mizuno MP 20 MMC 4 to PW | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 60o | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Seven CH

Titleist Prov1

21 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Prairie View was interesting on Saturday.  They stated over 2 inches of rain fell, but you'd never had known that from the conditions.  There were a few mud balls but those were in low areas of the fairways or rough.  Only 1 bunker on the entire course had water in it (hole 5) and the other bunkers were in pristine condition and had been groomed in the AM.  Believe me, I saw quite a few bunkers on Saturday, so I'm confident in this assessment.

The greens were in amazing condition. They were lightening fast, firm, but holding shots from the fairway. I'm a 1/3rd-2/3rds chipper and I learned after the second chip to reduce that dramatically. They also did a controlled burn on most native areas of the course, so the aesthetics that are normally an asset for PV were a golf ball laden liability.  If you were looking to pick up 10-12 dozen of your favorite brand I'm certain that you could easily find your brand, color, etc. PV has also removed a lot of trees which is helping to add to the health of the course.   It looks a bit different, but healthy courses are clearly the appropriate trend.

We were stuck behind a 4some and 3some that weren't the fastest, but we managed to get around in 4 hours, which is fine.  The winds were the defense of the course Saturday and a variety of shots, including putts, were impacted by the winds.

Still of the believe that PV is one of the best values in the Chicago area.  It's an easy drive, fun layout, great conditions, good people running the place and a decent pace of play.

You were 30 minutes from my doorstep Mr. Pelz. PV is a fun course. Try the Freeport Club sometime. Greens are always nice but lacking thick grass in fairways. It was a private course for years that was run down and was bought out last year by a husband and wife who are customers of mine. They're sticking a ton of money in it and it gets better every week. You might not like it if you don't like trees.😄 If you come out and play it you'd better let me know !

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Rant of the day... I know I mentioned this before, but it takes some real audacity to claim your course is now on "summer rates" or my new favorite "in prime season" when the rough hasn't even been cut yet. It's April in Northern IL. The current temp is 42. This ain't summer nor "prime". Either have spring rates that actually correspond with the local calendar or drop the lame charade. 

Spring rates are still a thing?  By what I've paid this year at the Preseve and Prairie Landing I figure we're already in prime season despite what mother nature is tellign us. I'm shocked at the rates I'm seeing at many coures in April, more shocked that people are actually booking times at them.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 hours ago, Ahmedelta123 said:

Hey guys - just moved to Chicago and looking for some people to play with who wouldn't mind some betting and friendly competition. I'm a +3 and in my mid/late 20s. Haven't played any courses out here before so could use some advice.

Where in the area do you live?  As far as courses go, the top end consensus seem to be:

Thunderhawk

Stonewall Orchard

Cantigny

Dubs (Cog #4)

The Preserve

Ravisloe

Schaumburg

Mt. Prospect

Highlands of Elgin

Bowes Creek

Blackstone

Prarie View

Prarie Landing

Mistwood

Harborside

The Glen Club

Shephards Crook

I'd normally add Fresh Meadows to the list as a joke, but my luck you would book that to play tomorrow. I'm probably missing some of the higher end courses, also  there's a lot of great mid tier courses in Chicago, but knowing your location would be helpful.   

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Where in the area do you live?  As far as courses go, the top end consensus seem to be:

Thunderhawk

Stonewall Orchard

Cantigny

Dubs (Cog #4)

The Preserve

Ravisloe

Schaumburg

Mt. Prospect

Highlands of Elgin

Bowes Creek

Blackstone

Prarie View

Prarie Landing

Mistwood

Harborside

The Glen Club

Shephards Crook

I'd normally add Fresh Meadows to the list as a joke, but my luck you would book that to play tomorrow. I'm probably missing some of the higher end courses, also  there's a lot of great mid tier courses in Chicago, but knowing your location would be helpful.   

I live downtown and don't mind driving an hour so I think I have pretty good coverage of the area. Definitely willing to pay a premium for great conditions and 7,000+ yardage.

TM SIM Driver 8.0 | Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo VI X-Flex

TM SIM Titanium 3 Wood | Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7x

TM P790 UDI | Graphite Design Tour AD Hybrid IZ-95x

Mizuno MP 20 MMC 4 to PW | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 60o | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Seven CH

Titleist Prov1

39 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Spring rates are still a thing?  By what I've paid this year at the Preseve and Prairie Landing I figure we're already in prime season despite what mother nature is tellign us. I'm shocked at the rates I'm seeing at many coures in April, more shocked that people are actually booking times at them.  

My rant came after receiving an email from a course advertising they are now on "prime" rates. I looked out the window and laughed. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

7 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

My rant came after receiving an email from a course advertising they are now on "prime" rates. I looked out the window and laughed. 

... The disregard for long time customers for the sake of short term profit has become a disease. In Phoenix the prices are through the roof since Covid hit and twilite has always been an option starting at 1pm in December then moving to 2pm in February then 3pm in April. This year they started twilite at 2:30 on February 15th and 3pm March 1st. This really effects a handful of regulars and some families for 1/2hr of a few dollars more. Greed pure and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

22 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

What the hell course is this thinking we're anything close to "prime"???  We should still be on winter rates if you ask me. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Rant of the day... I know I mentioned this before, but it takes some real audacity to claim your course is now on "summer rates" or my new favorite "in prime season" when the rough hasn't even been cut yet. It's April in Northern IL. The current temp is 42. This ain't summer nor "prime". Either have spring rates that actually correspond with the local calendar or drop the lame charade. 

Our comp is at Arrowhead on Saturday.  $93.00.

9 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

You were 30 minutes from my doorstep Mr. Pelz. PV is a fun course. Try the Freeport Club sometime. Greens are always nice but lacking thick grass in fairways. It was a private course for years that was run down and was bought out last year by a husband and wife who are customers of mine. They're sticking a ton of money in it and it gets better every week. You might not like it if you don't like trees.😄 If you come out and play it you'd better let me know !

Have to be honest BC...haven't heard of TFC!  The pics look great, will let you know if we venture our to the land of The Pretzels!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:04 PM, Wham49 said:

BD is a good track both courses. I have played there 30 plus times a year for about 8 years in a row. I dont play out there much anymore becasue I am not a fan of the people running it, total jerks sometimes. Be ready for many delays and no cart days if it might rain

No carts at BDale? Music to my ears. It was pretty soaked last Saturday yet carts were out. CPO but that doesn’t impact walkers. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, Ahmedelta123 said:

I live downtown and don't mind driving an hour so I think I have pretty good coverage of the area. Definitely willing to pay a premium for great conditions and 7,000+ yardage.

Okay, of the 7000+ courses, we’ve got the following off the top of my head:

Stonewall Orchard

Thunderhawk

Village Links of Glen Elyn

Foxford Hills

Cog 4

Golf Club of Illinois

OAK GROVE

White Deer Run

White Hawk

Harborside

Pine Meadows

George Dunne National

Prairie View

Mistwood

Heritage Bluffs

Bolingbrook

Odyssey

I’m sure I’m missing some. Conditioning…umm…varies. 
Also, there are quite a few more in the 6900-7000 range. 
Highlands of Elgin

Prairie Landing

Bowes’ Creek(?)

Broken Arrow

Cinder Ridge

Sanctuary

Ives Grove (what? Is it not between 6950-7000 depending on the combo?)

Shephard’s Crook

Midlane

Deer Creek

A bunch more

Again, conditioning will vary. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

27 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Okay, of the 7000+ courses, we’ve got the following off the top of my head:

Stonewall Orchard

Thunderhawk

Village Links of Glen Elyn

Foxford Hills

Cog 4

Golf Club of Illinois

OAK GROVE

White Deer Run

White Hawk

Harborside

Pine Meadows

George Dunne National

Prairie View

Mistwood

Heritage Bluffs

Bolingbrook

Odyssey

I’m sure I’m missing some. Conditioning…umm…varies. 
Also, there are quite a few more in the 6900-7000 range. 
Highlands of Elgin

Prairie Landing

Bowes’ Creek(?)

Broken Arrow

Cinder Ridge

Sanctuary

Ives Grove (what? Is it not between 6950-7000 depending on the combo?)

Shephard’s Crook

Midlane

Deer Creek

A bunch more

Again, conditioning will vary. 

Add Seven Bridges. It is about 7100 from their Gold tees.

23 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Add Seven Bridges. It is about 7100 from their Gold tees.

And the Glen Club. That would be one of the better conditioned (and pricier) options. I’ll say this though. Not all 7000 yard courses in the area are created equal. Highlands of Elgin is exactly 7000 to the number but since it’s always soaked it plays longer. A place like Prairie View (not really the Chicago area but whatever) is over 7100 but it plays shorter with the generally firm conditions. Of the “not really Chicago area,” add Aldeen and Atwood-Holmstead in Rockford and Washington County and Hawks View in WI. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Oh, can’t forget Whisper Creek and Big Run in the 7000 yard+ club. Get Big Run now since it’s already been sold. And Prairie Bluff is over 7000 from the tips. A lovely view of Stateville Prison and audio from the neighboring gun range. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

17 hours ago, Ahmedelta123 said:

Sign up for the weekly Chicago Police Dept Skins game at Joe Louis...throw that 66 at them, then they’ll tell you where you should be playing!

lol

Yeah, don’t play The Champ. You’re welcome. 

• Haha 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

And the Glen Club. That would be one of the better conditioned (and pricier) options. I’ll say this though. Not all 7000 yard courses in the area are created equal. Highlands of Elgin is exactly 7000 to the number but since it’s always soaked it plays longer. A place like Prairie View (not really the Chicago area but whatever) is over 7100 but it plays shorter with the generally firm conditions. Of the “not really Chicago area,” add Aldeen and Atwood-Holmstead in Rockford and Washington County and Hawks View in WI. 

Truer words could not be spoken.   Oak Grove is a monster from the back with three par 4's around 480 whereas Prairie View feels like a 6500 yard course.  Links of Glen Ellyn plays alot shorter than 7200.  Not to mention that some courses play very similar from back tees as they are the same tee box, just 20 yards back.  On the other hand, Stonewall is a completely different course with tee boxes in different locations, different sight lines and brutal yardages on certain holes from the back.  That would be my pick if you want a test...think it is 75/150.

30 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Truer words could not be spoken.   Oak Grove is a monster from the back with three par 4's around 480 whereas Prairie View feels like a 6500 yard course.  Links of Glen Ellyn plays alot shorter than 7200.  Not to mention that some courses play very similar from back tees as they are the same tee box, just 20 yards back.  On the other hand, Stonewall is a completely different course with tee boxes in different locations, different sight lines and brutal yardages on certain holes from the back.  That would be my pick if you want a test...think it is 75/150.

Yeah, from the back tees the five biggest tests are probably Cog 4 (78/153), Stonewall (75/150), George Dunne (75.6/142), White Hawk Black to Silver (76.3/149), and Oak Grove (75/142). 

Piretti Cottonwood II

14 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

No carts at BDale? Music to my ears. It was pretty soaked last Saturday yet carts were out. CPO but that doesn’t impact walkers. 

Still CPO out there.   They had an outing last Saturday on the White and judging by the tracks on saw when I played Sunday, people couldn't stay on the paths very well. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

On 4/25/2022 at 2:04 PM, Wham49 said:

I've been playing out there over a decade and if I didn't get first tee time out on the weekends I wouldn't go out there as often as I do.  They are usually stacked up 4 or 5 groups by 9am going off each course.  No thanks.    I get along with the staff up there but I could see how they would rub a person the wrong way depending on the day. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado