Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

7 hours ago, mci711 said:

No. Not with all of the other good courses you'll pass on your way through Chicagoland to Wisconsin. 

Like Lost Marsh? 😁

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 hours ago, mci711 said:

No. Not with all of the other good courses you'll pass on your way through Chicagoland to Wisconsin. 

Give me a few to check out!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

10 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

The layout is good. It’s a Donald Ross design that’s been around since 1901. I think it’s better than Ravisloe across the street. But it went public a few years ago and the new owner has made clear his plan to redevelop it (very long story short, the community is trying to block the sale so it doesn’t become a warehouse or fulfillment center or something and there are some zoning technicalities that they’re clinging to) so conditioning could be iffy. You’ll go past much better courses on the way to EH though. I’ll say this, Calumet will be waaaaaay different than EH. 

I really enjoy Donald Ross courses and I am sure this course won't be around all that much longer, which was why it was on my radar!

2 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

I really enjoy Donald Ross courses and I am sure this course won't be around all that much longer, which was why it was on my radar!

I believe it has 11ish of the holes original to the Ross routing. It is very claustrophobic, trees overgrown everywhere. The conditioning is poor, with all that being said I will end up going out there at least a couple times this year if it is their last hurrah. 

I disagree with the poster above, not that one anynomous poster should be trusted over another, that it is better than Ravisloe. I'd stop at Ravisloe if I only had time for one. 

• Like 1

Kenosha CC, one of two Ross’s in Wisconsin, celebrates its centennial this year.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

It's looking like Ravisloe CC it is. It's been on my radar for a bit also.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

It's looking like Ravisloe CC it is. It's been on my radar for a bit also.

Ravisloe and Calumet are only a mile apart. I think Ravisloe is the better option, but with Calumet closing in the near future, I'd try to play both on the same day. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

There was a photo posted on twitter of a sizable tree that came down at orchard valley 

did you see it?

https://twitter.com/ijgamatt/status/1514719117265276935?s=21&t=KQoKUVeobxxIhiSJULmb_Q

Edited by geochitown

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

37 minutes ago, geochitown said:

There was a photo posted on twitter of a sizable tree that came form at orchard valley 

did you see it?

https://twitter.com/ijgamatt/status/1514719117265276935?s=21&t=KQoKUVeobxxIhiSJULmb_Q

I didn't see that. The tree must have come down after I was off the course. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

It is 2nd green

TM TP5x

Went by white deer this am to walk dogs. 

wind coming across the lake almost convinced me not to stop by and practice a bit

college tourney in progress at white deer today

smaller schools including a few Wisconsin schools 

• Like 1

TM TP5x

LD and I played Maple Meadows this morning. My last round at Maple Meadows was 5 years ago. Gotta say, it was in much better shape than I remembered. 

The greens were excellent. The bunkers were groomed and the grounds crew was out adding sand to them.

Challenging conditions today, especially on the back 9.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Good Friday is generally our season kick off.  With it being late this year I was expecting great weather.   We made a go of it at Prairie Landing with a 1:20 time.  It was cold and windy but playable at tee off.  Weather  quickly deteriorated and by the 6th hole it was a sleet/rain combo and at best 40 degrees with insane wind.  After 9 we decided to call it and spend the back 9 in the bar worry beer.

Course was in pretty solid shape given the poor spring.  Fairways were wet with no roll,  but not so wet where it had to be CPO.  Greens were punched a probably last week,  but were healing well, rolling well and fast.

I shot a 43 on the front, which featured a triple bogey.   I'm soft and hate this weather.   Not sure why I still live here.   

Highlight was the beer instead on the back 9 and talking to a sub 70 employee.   Lowlight,, mother nature. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 4/15/2022 at 1:21 PM, TheBear95 said:

LD and I played Maple Meadows this morning. My last round at Maple Meadows was 5 years ago. Gotta say, it was in much better shape than I remembered. 

The greens were excellent. The bunkers were groomed and the grounds crew was out adding sand to them.

Challenging conditions today, especially on the back 9.

maple meadows is coming up for a re-do

think they are considering options now with Greg Martin 

• Like 1

TM TP5x

As Bear said, we played Maple Meadows yesterday. Tough weather conditions on the front with graupel hitting us in the face for about 20 minutes. Nothing like frozen ice pellets to the cheek and neck for two holes. We did some waiting around in between shots for the first 13-14 holes but the group in front of us started picking up. They were seeing basically every inch of the property and had lost LOTS of balls. The greens at MM were very good but the course just doesn’t drain that well. Drives had basically no roll and everything short of the greens plugged. One birdie on 2 with bogies on 1 (barf), 6, 9, 10, 13 and 15. Kind of a bizarre round. I only hit one fairway on the front but hit 6 greens. On the back I hit every fairway but only two greens. Short game got a test. 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

Hit up the Preserve today in weather far colder than I normally would consider, but I had a friend of mine convince me to go out, and by convince I mean ask.  This weather is ridiculous, but I'm trying to get a few rounds under my belt so I I can get things together by May.  Course was overall in good shape, fairways were nice, greens had some pace and were rolling well, bunkers however needed sand.  I was expecting it to be swampy, while there was no roll, it was dry enough to let carts out in the faiways.  Pace was a solid 3:30 for our 4 some.  The only real negatie was the $90 green fees + small bucket.  If you're charging that on a day like today, at least have sand in the bunkers...

Finally found my game a bit.  9 fairways, 9 greens, 30 putts.  No real bad misses other than a bad drive on 7 that resulted in a double (mostly thanks to the lack of sand in the bunker).  Few bogies, couple birdies for a solid 77, which felt like shooting even par on a a day like today.  Hopefully we'll get some nice weather soon, I have no real interest in playing in weather like yesterday or today anytime soon.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Hit up the Preserve today in weather far colder than I normally would consider, but I had a friend of mine convince me to go out, and by convince I mean ask.  This weather is ridiculous

... Growing up in the South but living in Chicago for 42 years I didn't know how guys played in really cold weather. Now, after a summer in Phoenix with 105-115* daily temps, I had to wear a sweater last week when the temp went from sunny and 97 to cloudy, windy and 68 in just one day. Almost walked off after 9 it was so chilly! 🤪

• Haha 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Just now, chisag said:

... Growing up in the South but living in Chicago for 42 years I didn't know how guys played in really cold weather. Now, after a summer in Phoenix with 105-115* daily temps, I had to wear a sweater last week when the temp went from sunny and 97 to cloudy, windy and 68 in just one day. Almost walked off after 9 it was so chilly! 🤪

Yeah I normally don't even bother when it's under 60, glad I went out tho, it wasn't awful when the sun came out.  It seems like mother nature right now isn't really giving us much of a choice.  Hopefully that'll turn around soon.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, geochitown said:

maple meadows is coming up for a re-do

think they are considering options now with Greg Martin 

Damnit. There goes another of my more affordable and lesser traveled options then. With my kids I so badly miss the maple east 9, that would’ve been perfect for cheap twilight teaching rounds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Yeah I normally don't even bother when it's under 60, glad I went out tho, it wasn't awful when the sun came out.  It seems like mother nature right now isn't really giving us much of a choice.  Hopefully that'll turn around soon.

70’s and sunny next weekend. Winter comes later these days but so does Spring. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

was at Club Champ in Schaumburg today having some irons tweaked.

Alex Prager was super helpful when I mapped out what my goals were for the session.

I had started at the local range to warm up and used the sharpie method of marking the balls to check impact points.

with that reference and his tools, the club adjustments went smoothly.

he was great showing me what lie adjustments were needed and how the progression thru the set would work.

stopped at PGATSS to grab a new putter grip.

ended up with the GP Pro Only . they only had one 72cc model so I also grabbed an 81.

many models were in short or no supply.

like to try out the smaller one first, but I have no experience dry mounting anticipating the need to re-use.

wonder if WD-40 will let me slide one on for a test session and them remove...

anyone had success with that?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

37 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

was at Club Champ in Schaumburg today having some irons tweaked.

Alex Prager was super helpful when I mapped out what my goals were for the session.

I had started at the local range to warm up and used the sharpie method of marking the balls to check impact points.

with that reference and his tools, the club adjustments went smoothly.

he was great showing me what lie adjustments were needed and how the progression thru the set would work.

stopped at PGATSS to grab a new putter grip.

ended up with the GP Pro Only . they only had one 72cc model so I also grabbed an 81.

many models were in short or no supply.

like to try out the smaller one first, but I have no experience dry mounting anticipating the need to re-use.

wonder if WD-40 will let me slide one on for a test session and them remove...

anyone had success with that?

YouTube is your friend. I’ve removed grips with a coat hanger and grip solvent. Have a grip remover now but it’s an easy process. Just remember to rotate, reapply more solvent/lighter fluid/WD40 and pull. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Our group played our third comp round at yet another private club, HoE yesterday.  Teed off at 10 and there had to be a 30-45 minute gap in front. The course was in very good shape though, although I wish we wouldn't have listened to the starter about there being no mud balls in fairways.  Each of us experienced quite a few.  Other than that, the course conditions were really good.  Bunkers perfect and the greens were really good although not as fast as HoE usually plays.  

Geez, it was freaking cold and windy.  Not sure where it was coming from but there was a lot of dampness in the wind which only added to the conditions.  Saw something I've never seen before, as one of our guys lipped out a hole in one opportunity on 4 and then on 15, did the same thing.  Think his total distance from  the cup was maybe 3 feet.

Had a record in our comp as the differential between first and second in terms of points was 8, beating the previous high of 5. Because of the conditions, the average Stableford points was 29 and there was an outlier at 39 points.  

Off next weekend and then to one of my fave courses, Arrowhead on the 30th.  Hopefully we won't be in parka's and mukluks for that round.

• Like 3

I played four courses in high school that I figured I never needed to play again.  Over the last two years, I have now played all four roughly twenty years later...lol. 

- Fox Run - No need to ever go back...Ultimate subdivision course.

- Mount Prospect - No need to ever go back...Someone is going to get seriously injured here and I don't want to be the cause of it!  

- Arboretum - I can admit when I was wrong. This course was much nicer and playable than I remembered in High School.  I think it was used as the conference championship and I hated the quirkyness.  After twenty years, I felt it was pretty fair and the conditions were great.

And now for the fourth...After 22 years, went back to Seven Bridges yesterday.   Wow, so many thoughts.  I hated the course back then because of the layout although I could swear I played the two nines in the reverse order.  The back nine as played yesterday was silly BUT the conditions other than greens were really nice for April.  The fairways were lush and felt like carpet.  Tee boxes were flat.  Some of the greens were extremely beat up but they were playable.  They were smart about putting pins in the good areas of the green which was really appreciated.  I still don't know what to think...I love the fact that there are doglegs right and left and the variation of holes is awesome.  All the par 3's were perfect in every way.  All that being said, there are some awful landing zones on that back nine.  I'm just not good enough to avoid pushing or pulling a drive every 4-5 holes and there are no bailouts.  Possibly the best front nine of my life as far as hitting the ball (38) followed by a lovely 46 on the back.  I guess in summary, it is a lot better than I remembered but unfortunately there is no need to go back simply due to one reason...price.    

• Like 2

They reversed the 9's years back.  I never was and never will be a fan of that course, but I end up there a few times a year cause it's somewhat local to me. In yesterday's winds, the back 9 had to be brutal, it's tough getting through that in light winds.  

Arboretum is one of the worst layouts in the area, probably up there with Tanna Farms.  I'd play Fresh Meadows anyday over either.  

• Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Yeah, Arboretum is the North suburban answer to Lost Marsh. That’s as big of an insult as I can think of. But the back is so easy that as long as one can hit the landing zones on the front it loses most of its teeth. I’m giving the architect the benefit of the doubt though. It’s pretty smashed into the available area around the nearby homes and the purpose of the course is as much to just keep water away from the homes as it is to create a golf course. Hence the amount of retention ponds. But the greens have always been decent and the tee boxes are flat.  

Piretti Cottonwood II

17 hours ago, MountainKing said:

They reversed the 9's years back.  I never was and never will be a fan of that course, but I end up there a few times a year cause it's somewhat local to me. In yesterday's winds, the back 9 had to be brutal, it's tough getting through that in light winds.  

Arboretum is one of the worst layouts in the area, probably up there with Tanna Farms.  I'd play Fresh Meadows anyday over either.  

I can't remember which 9 is which but I much prefer whatever is the north 9 of that course. Has a nice variety of holes, some that can be played a few ways, others that you have to think your way through. Southern 9 bugs me with the par 5s and long 4s where a miss to either side of the fairway is death, and the par 5s with fairways that cut off for some stupid reason. That said, conditions are almost always great, but the course layout never matched the price.

Fresh Meadows comp legit made me laugh. Big statement there.