Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Likely purchasing my Kenosha County membership this week.  Courses open 3/18.  Got tee times for 19th and 20th but it is likely going to be pretty cold.   Went to virtual hitting spot 2x last month so only touched the clubs those two times since Labor Day.  Should be an interesting start to the season.   Likely pulling the trigger on membership including cart with hopes that I can play 2x early mornings during the week as well as the weekends.   

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

It looks like we made it...beautiful weather starting Sunday with mid 50's and getting to 70 throughout the week.  I have been looking around to book but very few "nice" courses are open.  Oak Meadows, the two Elgin courses, Stonewall, Bridges, Prairie Landing, etc. all do not have an open date posted.  if you notice any courses open, please share!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shriner said:

It looks like we made it...beautiful weather starting Sunday with mid 50's and getting to 70 throughout the week.  I have been looking around to book but very few "nice" courses are open.  Oak Meadows, the two Elgin courses, Stonewall, Bridges, Prairie Landing, etc. all do not have an open date posted.  if you notice any courses open, please share!

Marengo Ridge, Pinecrest, St Andrews

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

Preserve at Oak Meadows and Maple Meadows are both Forest Preserve run, so I believe they're operated on budgets and open/close at specific dates rather than just when it's warm enough to collect money. Or at least that's what I remember from years past; Oak Brook traditionally was the same way but haven't driven past there lately and I feel like that may have changed in recent years. A lot of the courses that don't want to get trashed early on will wait for the first few weeks of slop before opening up.

Yeah, the weather is getting better but the turf is still dormant. And Forest Preserve courses are all patronage gigs meaning they are only open for 6 months a year. I go to the South suburbs this time of year. Deer Creek, Skanctuary, Palmira, GDN and White Hawk are all open year round. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

4 hours ago, Shriner said:

I say next Thursday and Friday you will start to see a number of the better courses start to open. Stonewall will likely be in that group.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

On 3/9/2022 at 11:50 AM, ldchristopher said:

Yeah, the weather is getting better but the turf is still dormant. And Forest Preserve courses are all patronage gigs meaning they are only open for 6 months a year. I go to the South suburbs this time of year. Deer Creek, Skanctuary, Palmira, GDN and White Hawk are all open year round. 

Highland Woods is open on Sunday...think they're open as long as the ground isn't snow covered.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, TheBear95 said:

I say next Thursday and Friday you will start to see a number of the better courses start to open. Stonewall will likely be in that group.

This is good news, I can't wait to hit Fresh Meadows

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 3/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, Shriner said:

This is why we don't speak too soon around here. 🤣

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

This is good news, I can't wait to hit Fresh Meadows

Oh yes. When I think "premium" "upscale" and "best-in-class", Fresh Meadows is my first choice as well.

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

21 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Oh yes. When I think "premium" "upscale" and "best-in-class", Fresh Meadows is my first choice as well.

... My old playing pard was the a**. GM there so I played for free. One day a few employees got sick and he asked me to help out as a ranger. He got a call from a 4some that said the group behind hit into them... twice. So I rode out to talk to them and they had hit into them a 3rd time, clearly on purpose. Course was packed and when I reached the group I said the guys in front says you guys hit into them. Clearly drinking they said "He!! yea we hit into them! They are so f*****g show on the greens so we sent some messages." I told them there was no place to go and the group in front waited on every green and they said they don't care they need to speed up on the greens or they would hit into them again. I told them we would have to call the police if they did it again. "We ARE cops!" and pulled out a badge and told me to get out of their f*****g face before they launch a few balls at me. 

... Got back to the clubhouse and told Steve what happened and he said those guys are regulars and pretty cool unless they get drunk so nothing we could do. Pretty much sums up Fresh Meadows. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

32 minutes ago, chisag said:

... My old playing pard was the a**. GM there so I played for free. One day a few employees got sick and he asked me to help out as a ranger. He got a call from a 4some that said the group behind hit into them... twice. So I rode out to talk to them and they had hit into them a 3rd time, clearly on purpose. Course was packed and when I reached the group I said the guys in front says you guys hit into them. Clearly drinking they said "He!! yea we hit into them! They are so f*****g show on the greens so we sent some messages." I told them there was no place to go and the group in front waited on every green and they said they don't care they need to speed up on the greens or they would hit into them again. I told them we would have to call the police if they did it again. "We ARE cops!" and pulled out a badge and told me to get out of their f*****g face before they launch a few balls at me. 

... Got back to the clubhouse and told Steve what happened and he said those guys are regulars and pretty cool unless they get drunk so nothing we could do. Pretty much sums up Fresh Meadows. 

The next time I plan on seeing Fresh Meadows, is when I get buried next door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

3 hours ago, propman said:

One of the more popular facilities in the Chicago area for hosting golf outungs? No kidding. I played each of the courses once. My 2nd visit earned the course a spot on my permanent doo doo list. Teed off early on a Saturday, and when we made the turn we noticed a number of carts set out for an outing. We assumed it would be an afternoon affair. Hah. We got to the 12th green and noticed four carts near the 13th tee. Two of the carts were not the group playing ahead of us. It didn't take long to realize that they sent out a shotgun start right in the middle of the morning play. We played the front in two hours, but the back took over 3 hours. I ran into a ranger a few holes later and asked him what the heck they were doing. He couldn't look me in the eye, mumbled something, and drove off. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

The next time I plan on seeing Fresh Meadows, is when I get buried next door.

You should ask to be buried on the course. Would make a big improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

One of the more popular facilities in the Chicago area for hosting golf outungs? No kidding. I played each of the courses once. My 2nd visit earned the course a spot on my permanent doo doo list. Teed off early on a Saturday, and when we made the turn we noticed a number of carts set out for an outing. We assumed it would be an afternoon affair. Hah. We got to the 12th green and noticed four carts near the 13th tee. Two of the carts were not the group playing ahead of us. It didn't take long to realize that they sent out a shotgun start right in the middle of the morning play. We played the front in two hours, but the back took over 3 hours. I ran into a ranger a few holes later and asked him what the heck they were doing. He couldn't look me in the eye, mumbled something, and drove off. 

Yeah, i avoided this course on the weekend like the plague. But then again since retiring, i can say that for all chicagoland courses.

I go to gleneagles during the week, mid afternoon and play as many holes til dusk. My version of practice.😁

• Like 2

15 hcp

8 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Locally known as Fresh Ghettoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

On 3/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, B-Man said:

Locally known as Fresh Ghettoes.

must have heard it called that 30 years ago. . maybe more. reputations last.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Was invited to play Ravisloe late April.   Kind of a haul from up Kenosha way.  Is the course worth the effort?  It's on my short list of places in the Chicagoland area I haven't teed it up at.  Curious what you guys opinion of the place is. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

How much do you like playing with who invited you? Honestly, that is what I would go off of. I think the course has become a less great over the years. Conditioning is spotty sometimes, if you aren't a big architecture person it may be very underwhelming and quite the long drive home. If you love golf course architecture/history it may be worth it. I'd rather play the courses near the boarder, specially from where you are! 

45 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

Village Links in Glen Ellyn officially opens Wednesday

9:40 tee time booked for The Experimentation Round. Might be 18+ clubs in the bag.

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Was invited to play Ravisloe late April.   Kind of a haul from up Kenosha way.  Is the course worth the effort?  It's on my short list of places in the Chicagoland area I haven't teed it up at.  Curious what you guys opinion of the place is. 

IMO Ravisloe is a love/hate place. Some love the layout and the clubhouse architecture, others that like more modern courses don't appreciate nor care for it. I enjoy it but it but I play it maybe every other year, if that. It's a nice change of pace course and has some cool bunkering, but it's not a grip and rip type of course IMO.

From what I recall it's better to play there early in the season rather than later. I seem to recall in years past people commenting on great course conditions early, and a long, slow downhill after that. I know I've played there in late summer/early fall in the past and had really spotty conditions, especially on the greens. That said, I'm not sure how great of condition any course around here will be in April.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

How much do you like playing with who invited you? Honestly, that is what I would go off of. I think the course has become a less great over the years. Conditioning is spotty sometimes, if you aren't a big architecture person it may be very underwhelming and quite the long drive home. If you love golf course architecture/history it may be worth it. I'd rather play the courses near the boarder, specially from where you are! 

These are good questions.  I would be playing with a few guys I know from a sports message board.   It likely would be a slow round and long drive home.  I prefer to tee off early in the morning and make good time.   I am interested in the architecture and am playing Lawsonia in about 6 weeks partially to see the architecture.  I think the answer is going to be to pass on this.  I'd also have to take a day off work to play on a Friday which isn't very appealing to me either.   I think if I had heard that it was a can't miss course with rave reviews maybe that would  have tilted the scale in the other direction. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

These are good questions.  I would be playing with a few guys I know from a sports message board.   It likely would be a slow round and long drive home.  I prefer to tee off early in the morning and make good time.   I am interested in the architecture and am playing Lawsonia in about 6 weeks partially to see the architecture.  I think the answer is going to be to pass on this.  I'd also have to take a day off work to play on a Friday which isn't very appealing to me either.   I think if I had heard that it was a can't miss course with rave reviews maybe that would  have tilted the scale in the other direction. 

Agree with the others. I certainly would never label Ravisloe as a "can't miss". Save the gas money.

Honestly, I think a case could be made it is one of the most overrated courses in the Chicagoland area. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

29 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Agree with the others. I certainly would never label Ravisloe as a "can't miss". Save the gas money.

Honestly, I think a case could be made it is one of the most overrated courses in the Chicagoland area. 

That gets me thinking and my hot take most overrated.....Highlands of Elgin. It gets talked about like it is Mistwood, Cantigny or Cog, it isn't. I don't even think it is as good as Bowes. It is good. But they completely mishandle it. Should be firm and fast, instead you get a waterlogged mudfest even if it hasn't rained in weeks. The other probably more obvious option would be both courses at Harborside.

9 minutes ago, mci711 said:

That gets me thinking and my hot take most overrated.....Highlands of Elgin. It gets talked about like it is Mistwood, Cantigny or Cog, it isn't. I don't even think it is as good as Bowes. It is good. But they completely mishandle it. Should be firm and fast, instead you get a waterlogged mudfest even if it hasn't rained in weeks. The other probably more obvious option would be both courses at Harborside.

It's not that hot of a take. I agree with most of it. I have started to prefer Bowes to HoE as well. And, that's even with Bowes now very much being a housing development course. The year round mud balls at HoE are annoying. However, I do find the layout at HoE enjoyable to play.

I labeled Ravisloe as overrated because it almost always appears on the "top courses of Chicagoland" lists. However, unless you're a big fan of Donald Ross courses or just have a desire to play old-school C.C., there's a solid chance a first-timer likely walks-away underwhelmed by it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo