Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

17 minutes ago, propman said:

I'm less than 10 minutes away. Haven't been there in awhile. How much are they charging these days? I realize they now have top tracer?

I just looked it up $39 per hour during the week and $45 on the weekend. Insane. I moved away a year ago. It think it was around $27-$30 an hour before I left. I was ok with that price. $39 to practice is outrageous though. I believe it is more so tailored towards getting groups in there and playing simulated rounds of golf. 

Edited by mci711

2 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I just looked it up $39 per hour during the week and $45 on the weekend. Insane. I moved away a year ago. It think it was around $27-$30 an hour before I left. I was ok with that price. $39 to practice is outrageous though. I believe it is more so tailored towards getting groups in there and playing simulated rounds of golf. 

I agree. $39 is ridiculous. Guess I'll wait til temps get to 40 and head off to cog and their heated bays.

15 hcp

I go to Golf Center Des Plaines. It is outside, but with heaters. If you have a tolerance for the cold, it's fine. I was there on Sunday morning and temps were in the high 20s. With the heater going, I was just in two layers and a regular golf glove. And, compared to the indoor options, it is cheap. I hit over 100 balls for $15 over the course of an hour and fifteen minutes.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

17 hours ago, eric61 said:

For those without home simulators, where are you all practicing this winter? 

I'm in Oak Park, and don't seem to have any good options closer than 25-ish minutes away. Golf Galaxy Trackman bay rental is an option for like $50 an hour. Game of Irons just opened up, but it's more expensive and you get less data. PGA Tour Superstore in Downers Grove is cheap, but fully booked most of the time and you don't get club data from the GC2s there. 

Looks like Links and Tees golf dome in Addison might be an option -- I haven't tried it. It's $30/hour. Not sure if they have anything that gives you any data at all or I'd need to take my own monitor.

Was at Links and Tees a week ago Sat for the first time. They've added some top Tracer technology on a few bays and a significant number of new targets as well.  That's the good.

Not sure if Todd is still there but they had 3 rude kids behind the counter and they just didn't give a rat's arse. My name was second on the list for a downstairs bay and there were not only open bays on the lower level but they called at least 5 others before they had a bay for me.  I went to the counter and politely pointed out there were open bays on the lower level and one of the kids said "Yeah, sit down and we'll call you when we have an open slot." When I pointed out the empty bays, he yelled "GO SIT DOWN AND WE'LL CALL YOUR NAME."

Have always been loyal to L/T but that experience has me thinking.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, propman said:

I'm less than 10 minutes away. Haven't been there in awhile. How much are they charging these days? I realize they now have top tracer?

$25 per hour for over 60. I think it's $30 or $35 for under 60. You can also play courses like Torrey Pines and The Old Course. 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

6 hours ago, Woodridge said:

$25 per hour for over 60. I think it's $30 or $35 for under 60. You can also play courses like Torrey Pines and The Old Course. 

not bad at all.

Sportsman's charges $50 an hour on weekends for their sims.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 hour ago, @_the_crook said:

not bad at all.

Sportsman's charges $50 an hour on weekends for their sims.

It may be more on the Weekends. I only go during the week at off-peak times.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, ldchristopher said:

Ace Golf on Irving Park and Elston if you want to keep it close. Or the aforementioned Tour Store. 

Called Ace Golf they no longer do loft and lie adjustments.  So it’s down to PGA Superstore or Club Champion.  CC wants $10 per club, anyone know what PGA charges?  Anyone experience with the Vernon Hills location?

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

I've gone a couple of times to Game of Irons, a new place that opened in Oak Brook. 

It uses simulator technology called GolfZon, which I'd never heard of before. The place is very much geared to be a classy, indoor version of TopGolf, and it's $65 an hour, so it's not cheap. Definitely intended for groups to play actual simulator rounds, rather than as a practice place. However, they're going to start doing a monthly membership, so if you can practice on weekday mornings, it might actually be reasonable for that. 

GolfZon is interesting. It has an elevated platform that can tilt in all directions based on your lie when you're doing simulated rounds. It also has tees plus surfaces that mimic fairway, rough and sand. (The sand was ... somewhat shockingly accurate for synthetic materials? That was the one that I expected the least from and was pleasantly surprised.) 

Hard to tell, but the numbers I was getting did seem basically accurate. Spin off my driver seemed high, but club speed, ball speed, face angle and club path did seem very much in the range of where I normally am, and the ball flights the simulator was giving me did seem to basically be what I'd have expected based on my delivery. 

Putting was interesting. Directionally, it was on point, really impressively so. But the pace was weird -- it required you to putt at basically the speed you'd use if you were playing on a shaggy, soaked green. 

The first time I was there, I was with my wife, and we did a simulated round. The second time, I just went for a couple of hours to pound balls. I was testing driver shafts. Mostly used the range. And when you use the range option, it gives you video from the side of your swing, which can be useful. I'd rather have the video from behind me, but I understand when you're running a place like that with kids and families running around, setting something like that up permanently without it getting kicked and bumped into and broken can be problematic.

Other than the high price and the funky driver spin measurements (it was consistently about 1000 RPM higher than I'd expect), no real complaints, and I'll be back -- especially after they get the membership option up and running. Sometimes my work allows me to have mornings basically free, so I could see being there for an hour as soon as they open, and taking my laptop with me and setting up for a while just in case something with work unexpectedly pops up, since they do have some tables and food and a bar. I chatted with one of the owners while I was there the second time and he seemed like a nice guy who will listen to customers as they're getting this place up and running. 

I am, though, still probably looking for someplace else to use on the weekends and nights when I'm just looking for a driving range type of experience. The Game of Irons membership is going to be something like $200 per month with free simulator time during weekdays from opening until something like 4 or 5 p.m. and then discounted rates otherwise. But I'd rather just pay for a bucket of balls on the nights and weekends.

Edit for clarity: I was told membership would be like $200 per month. Initially I just wrote $200 without specifying the time frame. 

Edited by eric61
  • Like 4

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Went to the Mistwood dome today for an hour. I got started a few minutes early which was nice. Not a fan of the upper deck. There's enough room, but you feel like if you do a Gary Player walk-through swing that you'll drop. So, I altered my swing a bit and altered it some more when I saw the distances that it was going. It only gives you distance and ball speed. Still, more than enough info for me to think "I hit it further than that!" and alter my swing. I need to re-think what my goals are when I'm there. 

All in all, a nice way to spend an hour. I'm blessed to be able to sneak away during the week. I'd say that virtually every bay was full, most had 2, 3 or 4 people sharing a bay.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

It was real nice to get out this weekend at The Frog in Georgia.  It may be the second February round of my life.  We had a frost delay of 1-1.5 hours and the grass was "dormant" but the greens were nearly perfect.  Even though you are down South, the weather can vary by 30 degrees day to day just like here.  It warmed up to mid 40's which was fine with me.  Those courses with the Georgia pines running down both sides of a hole can be brutal.  It was a challenging, but enjoyable layout.  I LOVE courses that do not have houses and this was set in the woods for the most part.  I watched my own trainwreck unfold on the 1st hole with an 11 and somehow still had a good time.

I loved the starter's stories (81 year old).  He looks at the range and says, "I don't know why them guys hit all those balls and then come over to the 1st tee and then hit two more."  LOL!

• Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, 2Tall4Golf said:

Called Ace Golf they no longer do loft and lie adjustments.  So it’s down to PGA Superstore or Club Champion.  CC wants $10 per club, anyone know what PGA charges?  Anyone experience with the Vernon Hills location?

PGA is $30 for a set of 8 I think and $5 for individual club. 

Opened the season with a round in Dallas before the ice storm hit this week.  Played Cedar Crest which hosted the 1927 PGA Championship.  Although the fairways were dormant, they played fast.  The greens were lightening quick with some poa, which was growing and impacting some putts. 

The layout of the course was one of the best I've played in many years.  Each hole was unique with some greens being tiny and the green complexes were just that, complex.  Long holes, including a 602 yard par 5 to start and a couple of 200 yard uphill par 3's. A couple of short par 4's that played difficult despite having any length. If you were above the hole you were a word that rhymes with ducked.  I had a 6 foot down hill putt on one hold that I barely started and it ended up about 50 feet off the green, seriously.

Had to rent clubs which was not a lot of fun but it was golf in February, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Would love to go back when the course was in prime condition as I think this would be a top 5 layout I've ever played. If the course was 700 yards longer it could easily host a major, it was that fun and challenging of a track.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, 2Tall4Golf said:

The guys at PGA in Downers are good,  but unless you know their work, I'd stick with CC.  If PGA decides it's training day and your set is up,  they can do some damage.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 hours ago, MountainKing said:

The guys at PGA in Downers are good,  but unless you know their work, I'd stick with CC.  If PGA decides it's training day and your set is up,  they can do some damage.   

wise to pay a bit extra for quality service, remembering it's all in the hands of the person at the bench. 

one might take pics of the set prior to going in - just on case there are any concerns after the fact.

the end user has to rely on a store's past performance and reputation.

wonder if there's any benefit to adding some extra work to the order....

new grips, reshafting another club, or would that be pointless?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

3 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

wise to pay a bit extra for quality service, remembering it's all in the hands of the person at the bench. 

one might take pics of the set prior to going in - just on case there are any concerns after the fact.

the end user has to rely on a store's past performance and reputation.

wonder if there's any benefit to adding some extra work to the order....

new grips, reshafting another club, or would that be pointless?

If it needs to be done then I guess it's not pointless.  I do everything else myself, I just don't have tools to adjust lie\loft, so that's the only thing my clubs go in for, but that's just me.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I went with CC, just don’t have confidence in box stores unless I know the person doing the work.  I do all my own work outside of loft/lie adjustments as well.  The cost benefit of getting a bending machine just doesn’t work out.  

If I can just get my swing back to where it was before the pandemic it should be a good year.

Edited by 2Tall4Golf
  • Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

It's going to be very interesting to see what inflation does to prices this year.  I just noticed that Downer's Grove GC is opening on Friday and the price is $27 for 9 walking.  I think 2 years ago it was at $19 so thats a good increase.  Maybe more folks going back to work this year will keep the crowds down.

• Like 1

All set for Royal GDN Saturday morning. Heard the course is untouched by golfers for months! Should be in superb nick!

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

9 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Knowing your personal proclivity for this fine track, I wanted to insure you saw it.  Keep in mind there's a limit on how many of these you can purchase...

tanna.png.07ac7e9f8fb5e3ba956c9d07cd64fca1.png

... Isn't that first hole a little like Tin Cup dropping a ball in the bar and hitting out the door?

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Knowing your personal proclivity for this fine track, I wanted to insure you saw it.  Keep in mind there's a limit on how many of these you can purchase...

Just snorted my afternoon tea out my nose! And when I say tea, I mean Guinnness. So not happy!

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Deer Creek this morning with Bear. Greens were stimping at a damp 4 but the majority of the course was surprisingly dryish. Probably not dry enough for carts, but that didn’t stop Deer Creek from letting people zoom around with no restrictions. I only hit 3 fairways but therein lies the beauty of Deer Creek. Players certainly CAN hit fairways but it’s not necessary to make par. First round with the ZX7’s and I like them a lot. They’re actually a bit more forgiving than my Honma’s so that was a nice surprise. I only went to the range once all winter but full shots are like riding a bike. Don’t ask me about half-swing wedges. Two birdies on 13 and 18. 

For kicks I called Palmira and they were walking only and first-come-first-serve so…36 holes to open the season it was. Palmira is a bit more demanding than Deer Creek off the tee and the entire course was like walking on a sponge. After we played through two groups we had pretty good pace and finished in under 4 hours. No birdies but my driver started to behave itself and full irons, hybrid, and fairway woods stayed pretty good. Looks like high 20’s with snow on the ground next weekend. Will we see temps like this again before May? I’m thinking………maybe? 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 3/4/2022 at 10:51 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Even if that meant they were paying me $32, there's no way

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy