Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... OK my cold weather friends, the Phoenix Waste Managment qualifier is being held at my muni tomorrow morning and I have a 2:12 tee time so I get to play the same greens and pin placements as the PGA guys. Although I will be playing it from one tee box in at 6403 and they will be playing it at 7089. But ... they tee off with 47* temps and it only gets up to 57* by noon. I would rather play when it is 111* but that's just me. At least it will be 60* and sunny by 2pm. 

Wow, how could you pass up the opportunity to play the same tee boxes!  That would be great to compare scores under the exact same conditions. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chisag said:

... OK my cold weather friends, the Phoenix Waste Managment qualifier is being held at my muni tomorrow morning and I have a 2:12 tee time so I get to play the same greens and pin placements as the PGA guys. Although I will be playing it from one tee box in at 6403 and they will be playing it at 7089. But ... they tee off with 47* temps and it only gets up to 57* by noon. I would rather play when it is 111* but that's just me. At least it will be 60* and sunny by 2pm. 

You poor soul. It's 70 back here right now in Chicago. In my basement. On my lush carpet greens. Haven't hit one fat chip shot yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

12 hours ago, Shriner said:

Wow, how could you pass up the opportunity to play the same tee boxes!  That would be great to compare scores under the exact same conditions. 

... LOL great for who? I am 68 and average around 250 off the tee so I already know how my tee shots compare. I would be playing a completely different course. I played with a qualifier last week who has won multiple times on the mini tours and he was hitting it around 330-350 so a good 100yds farther than my drives. At least from appropriate tees I can hit from places or close to where they will be hitting second shots from and of course chip and putt under the same conditions. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

7,100 yard in Phoenix plays a lot shorter.  It's a dry kind of 7,100 yards.

... True dat definately shorter but not "a lot" shorter. In winter there is an extra 20yds of roll or more on some holes. The problem with Aguila is many tee shots are uphill off the tee before leveling out and then downhill if you hit a really big drive. I can reach the flat or even get to the downhill from 440, 430 and 426 if I hit a really good drive. I can't even get to the flat from the par 4 back tees at 462, 460 and 471 on 18 and would not be able to even see the green for my second shot. The Pro's will all hit the flat and carry to the downslope and the longest hitters can hit the downslope off the tee getting an additional 50 yds of roll. 

... The above is one of the reason I find it a real head scratcher that many play the wrong tees and again can't reach the flat, when moving up a tee box (or two) would give them at least a reasonable shot at reaching long.to medium length par 4's with their 2nd shot. I play a lot with a guy from Downers that has a winter home here and he insists on playing my tees and never as in never reaches the medium/long par 4's in two. Fwiw I rarely see guys playing the tips (6914/7089)  that don't belong there but see guys playing the Silvers (6403) instead of the Golds (5952) all the time that have no business hitting from those tees. While on this mini rant I really wish they would get rid of the Red tees and just give them a different color and called Forward tees, not Ladies tees and some short hitting seniors might move up and enjoy the game more. 

• Like 2

Call me a glutton for punishment then!  I am probably one of the few who loves going to back tees and loves playing courses set up as similar to a pro event as possible; just to see how I do on a similar set-up.  If I get beat up, I get beat up, part of the fun of competing.  I figured like DP4 that 7100 yards would also play a little shorter out there.  That being said, I think with your distance of 250 off the tee, you could play the back tees and do just fine.  I am not much longer and don't have any distance issues with playing 7200 yard courses; it is everything else that gets me lol.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Call me a glutton for punishment then!  I am probably one of the few who loves going to back tees and loves playing courses set up as similar to a pro event as possible; just to see how I do on a similar set-up.  If I get beat up, I get beat up, part of the fun of competing.  I figured like DP4 that 7100 yards would also play a little shorter out there.  That being said, I think with your distance of 250 off the tee, you could play the back tees and do just fine.  I am not much longer and don't have any distance issues with playing 7200 yard courses; it is everything else that gets me lol.  

... I usually play about 5 times a week and at 68 I have shot my age or under quite a few times so I have no interest in beating myself up playing a yardage that makes it impossible for me to play the course the way it was designed. Hitting a hybrid or (gulp) fairway wood into a par 4 designed for a mid iron approach just isn't fun for me. Again playing with a qualifier last week it was painfully obvious I do not play the same game. But I get it, comparing to the PPGA Tour can be interesting and fun as I did it at Dubs a couple times when I was a little longer but still woefully short of the guys on tour. 

• Like 2

LOL, that would be the highlight of my year if a starter asked me for proof of handicap or distance as I walked to the back tee box.  I think I would just respond, "I don't know Mr., this is my first time playing" and then put the tee in the ground.  If someone wants to play a certain tee box and they can keep up, go for it.  Nobody else is more important than me and we all pay the same greens fees.  Just out there to have a good time...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shriner said:

LOL, that would be the highlight of my year if a starter asked me for proof of handicap or distance as I walked to the back tee box.  I think I would just respond, "I don't know Mr., this is my first time playing" and then put the tee in the ground.  If someone wants to play a certain tee box and they can keep up, go for it.  Nobody else is more important than me and we all pay the same greens fees.  Just out there to have a good time...

If you can keep up great. Go for it. Too many people have this selfish attitude "I paid the same rate I am going to do what I want" and don't keep up. Most people don't keep up, slow play is the biggest problem with public golf and playing the wrong tee box is a big reason why (there are a lot of reasons to be fair). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

7,100 yard in Phoenix plays a lot shorter.  It's a dry kind of 7,100 yards.

Depends a lot on what time of day you play. Most of my rounds in the Phoenix area are very early morning, year-round, and the conditions by far tend to be wetter with less roll than the typical northeast/midwest conditions I am used to for the same time of day. Mainly due to overnight irrigation, especially during the summer most courses completely drench the place overnight. Of course, if you come out in the afternoon, most courses will be dried out by then except for right after fall overseeding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... True dat definately shorter but not "a lot" shorter. In winter there is an extra 20yds of roll or more on some holes. The problem with Aguila is many tee shots are uphill off the tee before leveling out and then downhill if you hit a really big drive. I can reach the flat or even get to the downhill from 440, 430 and 426 if I hit a really good drive. I can't even get to the flat from the par 4 back tees at 462, 460 and 471 on 18 and would not be able to even see the green for my second shot. The Pro's will all hit the flat and carry to the downslope and the longest hitters can hit the downslope off the tee getting an additional 50 yds of roll. 

... The above is one of the reason I find it a real head scratcher that many play the wrong tees and again can't reach the flat, when moving up a tee box (or two) would give them at least a reasonable shot at reaching long.to medium length par 4's with their 2nd shot. I play a lot with a guy from Downers that has a winter home here and he insists on playing my tees and never as in never reaches the medium/long par 4's in two. Fwiw I rarely see guys playing the tips (6914/7089)  that don't belong there but see guys playing the Silvers (6403) instead of the Golds (5952) all the time that have no business hitting from those tees. While on this mini rant I really wish they would get rid of the Red tees and just give them a different color and called Forward tees, not Ladies tees and some short hitting seniors might move up and enjoy the game more. 

I agree with this 100%. I run into a ton of age 55+ guys at Aguila who have no business playing from the silver tees and should be on the golds. They can't reach the green 1, 4, 9, 11, 12, or 18 with two well struck shots from the silvers. Frankly I think they should put the golds with the reds on 9 and 18 so shorter hitters can reach the flat part of the fairway better.

• Like 1

... Crazy fun day. Winds were insane for Phoenix a good 20 mph for the guys qualifying. I shot 2 under and 3 under was the low tie for 3 players to qualify for the Waste Management tourney next week!?!? Two things jump out and the first is they started early with temps in the upper 30's and with that wind it must have been brutal. By 1:04 it was 59* and sunny so much better conditions for us. I was also having fun putting on pool table like greens rolling at 12.5 and after a good 300 rounds on Aguila, they have never rolled that straight and true. Tour guys are so spoiled. But these guys were playing under a ton of pressure. I would compare to to prepping for an audition with another actor compared to the actual audition for a Director and Producer that can change your life instantly. Same audition but no pressure until the real deal and then it is very, very intense. Missing a putt can be the difference between playing in a PGA Tour event for the first time and radically different than me missing a putt and just going to the next hole. Obviously many of you have played in tournaments and know about the pressure and it isn't even your job on the line. 

... Still a little shocked 3 under was the number. Back to muni conditions after today but it just showed me what kind of course Aguila could be with CC/Tour level greens. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Crazy fun day. Winds were insane for Phoenix a good 20 mph for the guys qualifying. I shot 2 under and 3 under was the low tie for 3 players to qualify for the Waste Management tourney next week!?!? Two things jump out and the first is they started early with temps in the upper 30's and with that wind it must have been brutal. By 1:04 it was 59* and sunny so much better conditions for us. I was also having fun putting on pool table like greens rolling at 12.5 and after a good 300 rounds on Aguila, they have never rolled that straight and true. Tour guys are so spoiled. But these guys were playing under a ton of pressure. I would compare to to prepping for an audition with another actor compared to the actual audition for a Director and Producer that can change your life instantly. Same audition but no pressure until the real deal and then it is very, very intense. Missing a putt can be the difference between playing in a PGA Tour event for the first time and radically different than me missing a putt and just going to the next hole. Obviously many of you have played in tournaments and know about the pressure and it isn't even your job on the line. 

... Still a little shocked 3 under was the number. Back to muni conditions after today but it just showed me what kind of course Aguila could be with CC/Tour level greens. 

Nice job today.  Good shooting.  Bummed you missed - would have enjoyed hearing your experience if you had qualified.

14 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Nice job today.  Good shooting.  Bummed you missed - would have enjoyed hearing your experience if you had qualified.

... LOL, not me I was just playing for fun so no pressure. I also played from 6400 and they played from 7100 with tons of pressure. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Most of my rounds in the Phoenix area are very early morning, year-round, and the conditions by far tend to be wetter with less roll than the typical northeast/midwest conditions I am used to for the same time of day. Mainly due to overnight irrigation, especially during the summer most courses completely drench the place overnight. Of course, if you come out in the afternoon, most courses will be dried out by then

... One of the interesting things about living in Phoenix. Courses are really night and day different from winter to summer. So hot all summer and as you said they water the he!! out of fairways so little to no roll even in the afternoon too. Often I have to play through sprinklers they turn on for 10 minutes or so. Winter is the opposite when the ball can roll considerably in the afternoon. I never play in the morning so not sure how winter golf is early. 

... A friend just told me Chicago had 10" of the S word. Please ignore the above posts about playing golf. 

21 hours ago, chisag said:

Hi, I'm DP4 and a smart arse. Just ask VNutz.

GC of DP. clear skies and lots of sun.

as you can tell, would rather be outdoors in almost any weather.

notwithstanding the brisk temps, our group met at 8:45 and turned on the heat lamps at the hitting stations. then retreated inside for about twenty minutes to question our sanity and prevent frostbite.

spent a good amt of time with the irons and was mighty pleased with the outcome.

noticed that smart people stayed away this morning.

afterward, grabbed lunch at Don's Dock.

dynamite fried shrimp.

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Against all logic I stopped in at the Cog Hill range Saturday afternoon. Word to the wise, the heaters are nice but not enough when 16* and windy, but I need to see full ball flight to know which of my offseason club tinkerings have promise. Surprisingly a lot of other fools there and the Top Tracer is a nice addition. If it were closer this would be my go to for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

Against all logic I stopped in at the Cog Hill range Saturday afternoon. Word to the wise, the heaters are nice but not enough when 16* and windy, but I need to see full ball flight to know which of my offseason club tinkerings have promise. Surprisingly a lot of other fools there and the Top Tracer is a nice addition. If it were closer this would be my go to for sure.

Man, that wouldn't even cross my mind, going to an outdoor driving range in this sh@t weather. Maybe when it hits a balmy 35 and no wind.😃

15 hcp

6 minutes ago, propman said:

Man, that wouldn't even cross my mind, going to an outdoor driving range in this sh@t weather. Maybe when it hits a balmy 35 and no wind.😃

... After 42 years in Chicago I really feel for you guys. Summer Phoenix heat thinned my blood back to my southern roots and it was just too dammed cold at 58*, cloudy and 10 mph winds so I took a few days off. Back to 71* today so some long pants and a short sleeve windbreaker should do the trick. 🤪  

• Haha 1

For those without home simulators, where are you all practicing this winter? 

I'm in Oak Park, and don't seem to have any good options closer than 25-ish minutes away. Golf Galaxy Trackman bay rental is an option for like $50 an hour. Game of Irons just opened up, but it's more expensive and you get less data. PGA Tour Superstore in Downers Grove is cheap, but fully booked most of the time and you don't get club data from the GC2s there. 

Looks like Links and Tees golf dome in Addison might be an option -- I haven't tried it. It's $30/hour. Not sure if they have anything that gives you any data at all or I'd need to take my own monitor.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Winter for me is mostly just feel. Data is nice but I have my yardages pretty much locked in. So, again, is my swing producing solid contact? But I’m in the minority on this thread. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

I'm in Oak Park, and don't seem to have any good options closer than 25-ish minutes away. Golf Galaxy Trackman bay rental is an option for like $50 an hour. Game of Irons just opened up, but it's more expensive and you get less data. PGA Tour Superstore in Downers Grove is cheap, but fully booked most of the time and you don't get club data from the GC2s there. 

Looks like Links and Tees golf dome in Addison might be an option -- I haven't tried it. It's $30/hour. Not sure if they have anything that gives you any data at all or I'd need to take my own monitor.

Try Legends Indoor Golf in Downers Grove. GC2 and a large practice putting green. 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Thanks 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

Mistwood Golf Dome for me. It's about 25 minutes away, but I work from home, so I go late morning during the week when it's a bit less crowded. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

1 hour ago, Woodridge said:

Mistwood Golf Dome for me. It's about 25 minutes away, but I work from home, so I go late morning during the week when it's a bit less crowded. 

I'm less than 10 minutes away. Haven't been there in awhile. How much are they charging these days? I realize they now have top tracer?

15 hcp