Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

On 3/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, chrisf60526 said:

I live 2 miles from Fresh Meadows.  I will not play there.  The driving range however is almost the only option in the area but stay off the grass.

I twisted an ankle in the pot holes over by the grass range.

Oak Brook is 5 minutes away, it's decent until later in the season when the grass is all pretty chewed up.

If we're talking overrated, I gotta throw Mistwood into that mix, outside of the conditions I'm not totally sure I get the appeal.  A lot of the par 4's feel very similar and there's two par 5's that are almost identical, and 18 just felt like an odd hole, especially to close it out. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Whilst Ravisloe is definitely over-rated, Mistwood is the most over-rated.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Mistwood has the best practice facility in the area, the rates also come with free range use. It is always in good condition. It has a variety of different holes with different options off the tee. What about it is overrated. 11 and 12 are the only 4s that may feel similar so I don't get that complaint.. 3 and 8 are par 5s that move a little left with water right and give you options off the tee. So yes, they are similar, but the green complexes and approach areas are quite different. I don't think it is overrated. It is a high end facility. Cantigny would be the only public course that can compete with what Mistwood offers service and amenity wise. 

I'll keep my comments to the course layout only as I have no experience regarding the practice facility. The 1st is the antithesis of getting groups off the tee quickly with that abortion of a trickle down the middle of the fairway. 2nd is decent with nice green shape. 3rd is boring. 4th is good. 5th is meh. 6th is decent. 7th is bland with blind shot. 8th is the 3rd again. 9th is bland. 10th is bland but green complex is fun. 11th best hole on the course as you can see everything before you. 12th is 5th again. 13th has too much going on. And 4 of the last 5 holes are a true Shakespearean tragedy. 17 is the exception as the only decent par 3 on the course. 14/15/16 are nothing more than squeezing unusable land to get 18 holes in. 18th is just a par 5. No holes are truly memorable.

I have spoken.

Edited by B-Man

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

This is all very subjective and can depend on what you value in a course.  I think Mistwood is an amazing experience from parking lot back to the car after the round.  But I also could see how someone would not love the layout.  That said, what importance do you place on cost because Mistwood, Cantigny and Cog are one price tier whereas Highlands of Elgin is a completely different price tier.  I have 7-8 courses within 15 minutes of me and they all range from $60-80 (Bloomingdale, Schaumburg, Poplar, Hilldale, Fox Run, Eaglewood, etc.)  I decided a while ago if I am going to pay that much, I might as well drive and pay the same to play better courses (Blackstone, Highlands, Stonewall, etc.)

Surprised to hear some the overrated talk for HOE. I always enjoy playing there, has a variety of fun and challenging holes and is generally in good condition, you can play aggressively or by the book depending on your game or the weather. I've played it when a little more damp than expected, but never had the mud ball situation others speak of, not that I doubt it. Greens typically run well and bunkers kept in pretty good shape. I too would love to see firm and fast, but for a town/park district operated course I think it's set up more for the typical clientele; I can't imagine pace of play there on a weekend with firm and fast. And for the price of usually $70 or less it's not easy to beat in the area. It's certainly not as good as Bowes or Blackstone IMO, but I'd still put it in the upper echelon of Chicagoland public courses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VNutz said:

Surprised to hear some the overrated talk for HOE. I always enjoy playing there, has a variety of fun and challenging holes and is generally in good condition, you can play aggressively or by the book depending on your game or the weather. I've played it when a little more damp than expected, but never had the mud ball situation others speak of, not that I doubt it. Greens typically run well and bunkers kept in pretty good shape. I too would love to see firm and fast, but for a town/park district operated course I think it's set up more for the typical clientele; I can't imagine pace of play there on a weekend with firm and fast. And for the price of usually $70 or less it's not easy to beat in the area. It's certainly not as good as Bowes or Blackstone IMO, but I'd still put it in the upper echelon of Chicagoland public courses.

Yes, I haven't played in a group at Highlands with anyone who didn't love it.  I also love the conditions personally.

Also, I have always said the same thing, there is no way you can make that course firm and fast.  Drives would bounce through fairways into the fescue and rounds would take 5 hours plus with searching for balls.  It is the same reason they had to slow up the greens at Erin Hills...playability.

P.s.  Just got the email, Bowes and Highlands opening Saturday...what are the chances!  

Edited by Shriner

Just now, Shriner said:

Yes, I haven't played in a group at Highlands with anyone who didn't love it.  I also love the conditions personally.

Also, I have always said the same thing, there is no way you can make that course firm and fast.  Drives would bounce through fairways into the fescue and rounds would take 5 hours plus with searching for balls.  It is the same reason they had to slow up the greens at Erin Hills...playability.

There is a difference in Erin Hills greens running at 15 and HoE just being dried out a bit. Plenty of courses play that way, many of the best courses in the country are firm and fast. If you are going to design a course a certain way it should play the way it is designed to be played. Fronts of greens there shouldn't be soggy at all times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

There is a difference in Erin Hills greens running at 15 and HoE just being dried out a bit. Plenty of courses play that way, many of the best courses in the country are firm and fast. If you are going to design a course a certain way it should play the way it is designed to be played. Fronts of greens there shouldn't be soggy at all times.

I think you hit it on the head @mci711 the course begs to be firm and fast but they just don't allow those conditions to happen. And as I am no superintendent I do not know what goes into that decision (pace of play, tee sheet size, general public destruction) however I still think public condition wise HoE is up there as most have said. Mistwood for me is everything you would want in amenities for a top tier public however I think you see what happens with firm and fast in respect to the greens after 2pm for a public course. Spike marks, feet draggers, the occasional jerk that doesnt fix his ball mark, and that stuff just stinks at $115 a round. 

8 hours ago, VNutz said:

I’m in the landscape/golf course supply industry. The superintendent is one of my customers. I’ve asked him about the wetness of HOE. He said that because the course is built on a gravel pit and they could only afford so much topsoil, if you don’t water the course thoroughly, it will dry out and the turf could die. According to him, there’s not much of a line between firm and fast and dead grass. I also think most golfers like lush conditions and the super gives the majority what they want.

I love HOE. You aren’t going to find many better views in the suburbs, especially in the twilight hours. 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, and 15 are fantastic holes.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

I’m in the landscape/golf course supply industry. The superintendent is one of my customers. I’ve asked him about the wetness of HOE. He said that because the course is built on a gravel pit and they could only afford so much topsoil, if you don’t water the course thoroughly, it will dry out and the turf could die. According to him, there’s not much of a line between firm and fast and dead grass. I also think most golfers like lush conditions and the super gives the majority what they want.

I love HOE. You aren’t going to find many better views in the suburbs, especially in the twilight hours. 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, and 15 are fantastic holes.

That pretty much describes Harborside sitting on a clay-capped landfill. 'Not enough soil to let it get firm, so you wind up with an overwatered mud pit.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

13 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Didn't know it was on a gravel pit, but makes sense given what you can see next to it along the back 9. Given that knowledge it doesn't surprise me given what we've seen of other similar built over courses like Harborside, Water's Edge and Settler's Hill, all tend to be more wet than you'd expect. I've never had the chance to play it in the twilight but I imagine it would be great. I do know that playing the 2nd hole early in the morning is brutal though, just hit the ball directly at the sun and then go search.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Would anyone be interested in a 2017 ping hoofer grey/blue in very good shape? Looking for $100, but may be willing to do less depending on where/who it's going to. Kind of want a new mid size stand bag, but can't justify it with this sitting in the house. 

I may be interested. Just shot you a PM.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

It's not Chicago but the Indy thread is lame. Anyway, I'm in Indianapolis for the NCTM Regional Conference. Get excited for two days of math teacher-centric professional development! Today was designated a "travel day" but that just means "golf day" for me so I played Coyote Crossing in West Lafayette. Overall, I enjoyed the course. It's not as good as Bear Slide but it's got solid variety among the par 3's and 4's, I never felt like I was playing the same hole twice (a common issue on housing development courses), and the greens were rolling at about a 10 once the dew baked off. It's not a very difficult course though. No forced carries or tricked out greens. The 140 slope is a little misleading. Yeah, it's heavily bunkered and there's plenty of water but I didn't feel like the hazards really impacted any shot selection. The par 5's are all in the 530-550 range. Overall, I'll be back, likely either to pair with Harrison Hills or play on the way back from Indy. Shot a birdie-free 74. 

• Like 4

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 3/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, mci711 said:

Mistwood has the best practice facility in the area, the rates also come with free range use. It is always in good condition. It has a variety of different holes with different options off the tee. What about it is overrated. 11 and 12 are the only 4s that may feel similar so I don't get that complaint.. 3 and 8 are par 5s that move a little left with water right and give you options off the tee. So yes, they are similar, but the green complexes and approach areas are quite different. I don't think it is overrated. It is a high end facility. Cantigny would be the only public course that can compete with what Mistwood offers service and amenity wise. 

I'm only speaking about the course layout.  The amenteties and conditions are legit.  3 and 8 are basically the same hole off the tee,  split fairway, water right, bunkers up the middle.   10 and 13 are both dog leg right holes that more or less take driver out of the hand, you also hit on 11 and 12.   I also thought 18 was an odd hole.  I'd play it again, I just think they use their ameneties\conditions to cover up what the design lacks, which is fine, always play to your strengths.  

I guess I'll put it this way, the redesign changed very little about the layout, I don't recall anybody raving about it as a course prior to the update. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Would anyone be interested in a 2017 ping hoofer grey/blue in very good shape? Looking for $100, but may be willing to do less depending on where/who it's going to. Kind of want a new mid size stand bag, but can't justify it with this sitting in the house. 

I myself got a Hoofer tour I'm looking to dump but don't feel like dealign with shipping.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I'm only speaking about the course layout.  The amenteties and conditions are legit.  3 and 8 are basically the same hole off the tee,  split fairway, water right, bunkers up the middle.   10 and 13 are both dog leg right holes that more or less take driver out of the hand, you also hit on 11 and 12.   I also thought 18 was an odd hole.  I'd play it again, I just think they use their ameneties\conditions to cover up what the design lacks, which is fine, always play to your strengths.  

I guess I'll put it this way, the redesign changed very little about the layout, I don't recall anybody raving about it as a course prior to the update. 

... Which one is prettier, Halle Berry - Gal Gadot - Amber Heard? I loved Mistwood before the layout update when it was much cheaper, and other than their first most ridiculous starting hole (tied with Cog Hill #3) I like all the changes. I think mostly because it is unusual compared to most of the Chicago area woodland courses. It is just so unique and #14 might be my favorite par #3 from the tips. But hey, I also love Prairie Bluff which is another love/hate course. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played Village Links earlier today. Looking more "linksy". A lot of trees getting cut down and most of them along the right and back of 16 are gone inc. bushes etc. Course was decent considering. Not too many soft areas but still a few plugged balls. Shag-carpet, sand-dressed greens very soft and slow. Did manage to make one birdie for the day though on the easiest hole. The 13th.

Edited by B-Man

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I myself got a Hoofer tour I'm looking to dump but don't feel like dealign with shipping.

I just bought a Hoofer Tour. Best-looking stand bag around. Not too heavy to carry.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, worst opening holes in Chicagoland? Tanna Farms? 

... Yea not a good start but better than hitting a knockdown 7 iron off the tee on a 268yd par 4 with trees pinching in on all sides, making the second shot a knockdown as well to start your round? 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Opened the Chicago season yesterday on #1 at St. Andrews.  While the course was debris free, it played really slow with most tee balls plugging or plugging and one hopping out like a bunker shot. Thankfully we were on 1 as looking at #2, there were 10 carts on the first tee. They've put fresh, albeit coarse sand in the bunkers. The greens haven't received much work but they did get a dose of food coloring.

Interesting start to the year.  Obviously some wind yesterday but not gale force winds.  My playing partner told me to wait before teeing off on 1 and having lost a ton of distance over the past few years, I thought it safe to hit.  Well, that was wrong and somehow, my tee shot covered the 311 yards to the green leaving the young 3 some on the green, and me, shocked.  2 putt birdie to start the year, not all bad.  Sadly, no other drivers like that magically appeared during the round.

Hoping yesterday was just everyone getting out and not a harbinger of how play will go this year.  The two 3 somes in front of us were clearly inexperienced players and on several holes, they hit anywhere up to 8 tee shots as most didn't make it more than 20 yards.  If I had a dollar for every "fore right" think I'd have left with an easy $50.00.

We start our competitive season on Saturday on course 2 at SA...let the games begin.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... Which one is prettier, Halle Berry - Gal Gadot - Amber Heard? I loved Mistwood before the layout update when it was much cheaper, and other than their first most ridiculous starting hole (tied with Cog Hill #3) I like all the changes. I think mostly because it is unusual compared to most of the Chicago area woodland courses. It is just so unique and #14 might be my favorite par #3 from the tips. But hey, I also love Prairie Bluff which is another love/hate course. 

I have a hole in 1 on 14. I should have given this information before I started defending Mistwood as much as I am 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

I have a hole in 1 on 14. I should have given this information before I started defending Mistwood as much as I am 😂

No need to defend it, I seem to be the only one with the odd opinion!  

I never had an ace, but if I had to pick a par 3 to have it on around this area, 14 would probably be on my shortlist.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

19 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, worst opening holes in Chicagoland? Tanna Farms? 

#1 at Lost Marsh. Though a poster here once described Lost Marsh as a 12 hole golf course, lol. Can't say I disagree.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

#1 at Lost Marsh. Though a poster here once described Lost Marsh as a 12 hole golf course, lol. Can't say I disagree.

I was just going to say #1 at Lost Marsh. Seems everyone I see tee off there hits it into the water and take 2-3-4 shots off the first tee.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

George Dunne and the unsurprising 4:45 afternoon pace yesterday, 1:30 tee time and 6:15 finish. One of the few places I could play in proximity to work so had to bite the bullet for the 70 degree mid March day. Course was surprisingly pretty playable other than the bunkers that haven't been touched in two years (don't expect them to be this early at most courses). Greens were really quick and fairways were pretty dry. Didn't notice any standing water really at all. They could have put some tee markers out there but I guess compared to how they don't maintain the course throughout the year conditions were surprisingly not bad.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, chisag said:

Is main issue the diagonal creek which you have to decide how much to take on as far as carry?  I played it once 13 years ago and that's one of my memories from playing it.  

Never mind: I see B-Man mentioned it in his typical "reserved" fashion for course reviews...

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x