2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our comp group plays Saturday at the highest rated golf course in all of Elk Grove Village, yes, Fox Run.  What?  There's only 1 course in EGV so it's definitely the highest rated. To say I'm excited would be an overstatement. 

Fox Run is lucky that Pirates' Cove doesn't have mini-golf. Otherwise, that accolade might be in trouble.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Yikes, Fox Run is pretty awful.  The pace of play is almost always terrible by the 3rd tee box.  It is literally shoehorned into a townhouse community and the units are pelted with golf ball dings.  There is no way someone has not been hit there.  You have to tee off with an 8i on a par 5 and the 13th hole is a joke.  But hey, they have a new clubhouse!  Curious how that looks at least.

I played Stonewall yesterday, pace was as good as ever...right at 4 hours.  Magnificent course but definitely the worst condition I have seen the greens in.  They were sandy with pebbles on some, very hard to get the ball to roll true.  That was surprising for Stonewall but it was the only time I have seen it so I will chalk it up to a bad day.  Such a challenging layout with danger lurking on virtually every hole.  The view and sight line from the tee box on hole 8 is just amazing, so unique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

Yikes, Fox Run is pretty awful.  The pace of play is almost always terrible by the 3rd tee box.  It is literally shoehorned into a townhouse community and the units are pelted with golf ball dings.  There is no way someone has not been hit there.  You have to tee off with an 8i on a par 5 and the 13th hole is a joke.  But hey, they have a new clubhouse!  Curious how that looks at least.

I played Stonewall yesterday, pace was as good as ever...right at 4 hours.  Magnificent course but definitely the worst condition I have seen the greens in.  They were sandy with pebbles on some, very hard to get the ball to roll true.  That was surprising for Stonewall but it was the only time I have seen it so I will chalk it up to a bad day.  Such a challenging layout with danger lurking on virtually every hole.  The view and sight line from the tee box on hole 8 is just amazing, so unique.

The 8th hole there plays as a par 4 for tournaments. That's a beastly 510-yard tour-length par 4. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Heritage Bluffs tomorrow arvo. Should be a great day.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

GCI this morning. Man, last year it was a major hassle getting an early tee time. Had to book by like Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. I booked the 7:00 AM at GCI at 10:00 last night. That bubble is nothing but a memory. Anyway, GCI is what it is. There was sand in the bunkers on 1 and 9. A sand/dirt/mud mixture in all the others. But the greens were good. Had some pace to them and had been cut. Guessing they were rolled the evening before. Irons, driver, and wedges were all pretty sharp but I only got one birdie putt to drop (16). Still, 73. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 6/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, VNutz said:

The stars aligned for just my 2nd round of Chicagoland golf over the weekend. Finally had a Saturday void of baseball/softball, previous travel plans fell through, and a friend was gracious enough to invite me out to Chicago Highlands for the first time. I drive past it daily but from the road you really have no idea what's going on there. Such a cool place. Nice combination of upscale without feeling stuffy, or at least not overly so, with a big emphasis on family offerings with the pool and 3 hole practice/kids course. I feel like I don't hear much about that course anymore but it felt like everything I did hear during construction and early years was somewhat on the negative in terms of design, lack of a clubhouse at that time, etc. but no complaints from me. Course was in pristine condition with the exception of 1 spot and greens ran extremely quick and true. It was amazing how different a Saturday morning time there was vs a public course, felt like we had the place to ourselves. Drove a par 4 on the back, had 3 birdies on the day and brain farted a 2 footer for another. Can't help but wonder when that 3rd round of the season might occur...

This is like looking into the future for me and the golf part of that future is…disconcerting. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 6/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, TheBear95 said:

Fox Run is lucky that Pirates' Cove doesn't have mini-golf. Otherwise, that accolade might be in trouble.

What about Rainbow Falls?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 6/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, Shriner said:

It’s not that awful. It is pretty tight and driver isn’t a good idea on a several holes even if the distance says hit driver. It is kept up pretty well. The third hole does back up but it usually speeds up after that. Staff is alway great. The rangers actually try to keep people moving. The new clubhouse is nice.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

11 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Early morning out at Blackstone today.  Been dealing with more random injuries with a sprained foot and pulled back music (can't seem to make it through a season without something) so I haven't gotten out in two weeks.  My right foot is still bothering me but I figure what the heck.

Tee time slightly before 7am, not a normal tee off time for me.  The course was in outstanding shape tee to green, and even better on the greens. Course was playing firm and fast and the greens were slick. Bunkers all had a perfect amount of sand, and pace was a cool 3:45.  This course is easily one of the best in the state, and should be the standard all other courses are held to for conditioning.   I need to get out there more than I do.  Considering what you pay in the Chicago region for some pretty sub par courses, Blackstone is a great value.

Got off to a bit of a slow start, i was having a hard time pushing off my right foot early on.  Finally started coming around on 8 dropping a shot two feet from the pin resuling in a nice birdie and a 40 on the front.  Started the back off with another bird, then there was the highlight of hole 12 with an eagle.  Throw in a second eagle, a birdie and a par and our group collectively played that hole -5.  Anyway, finished up with another birdie on 15 and a bogie on 17 for a 33 on the back, for a solid 73 on the day.  Glad I battled the foot.  

I teed off at 6:36 today and agree that the course was fantastic and the greens were perfect. Great round with those pin placements today. I made some stupid mistakes on 14-16 to shoot 75. Was cruising 3 deep with the perfect greens. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jcook10 said:

I teed off at 6:36 today and agree that the course was fantastic and the greens were perfect. Great round with those pin placements today. I made some stupid mistakes on 14-16 to shoot 75. Was cruising 3 deep with the perfect greens. 

You must have been two groups in front of us.   They've never not been perfect,  I dunno how they do it. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

35 minutes ago, jcook10 said:

How about that pin on 7 today? That was brutal. It was maybe 3 on from the right. Straight in the middle of the downslope. I’d love a ruling on that one. 

Yeah that was funky.  I went for that one and threw a 3w in the swail just in front, two others missed the green to the right.  The guy who was able to stick it close was the one who laid up and had a full shot.   With the way that green is,  it's almost impossible to get any short shot close.   There were a couple fun placements today with how those greens were running.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Thanks to LD's round recap and a surprisingly open tee sheet, I got out to GCI this afternoon. Beautiful day, however a pretty ho-hum round. Though #11 was playing downwind today. I swear every time I play GCI, #11 is straight into wind. It was nice to walk away with a drama-free par today.

While the round was nothing special, I had a moment in the clubhouse I will not forget. I was checking in and a group came in to give the pro shop an item they found out on the course. Now, I find stuff all-the-time that I turn into the pro shop; clubs, cart speakers, sunglasses, head covers, etc. But, this item was something I would never ever touch.

This group found and brought back someone's denture. How the hell does someone lose their dentures on a golf course? Anyway, I guess good on this group to bring in the denture. Completely gross, but honorable, lol. 

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for the review of Fox Run.  In all fairness, the course is in decent conditions.  The greens were good and moving at a nice pace with some pin positions right out of the Iowa girl's high school championship.  A couple of rough patches in the fairways but that's to be expected.

It's been quite a while since playing there but the last time we played FR, I thought 13 had a water saving bunker running up the right side of the fairway but that's gone.  While I was fortunate to be in the fairway my fellow players found a watery grave.

It wouldn't be a round without some type of wacky thing happening and of course, FR didn't disappoint.  Hitting my second shot on 9 from the left edge of the fairway and as I followed through, a ball from the 10 tee landed about a foot to the left of me.  Of course, no warning.  Thankfully, the heart appears to be in good shape.

If my ethnicity was Hispanic, Saturday's nickname would have been Ocho.  Haven't had an 8 this year and managed to put 2 lovely snowmen on the card.  

On 6/4/2022 at 8:05 PM, ldchristopher said:

This is like looking into the future for me and the golf part of that future is…disconcerting. 

You've got about 5 good years in my experience. Everybody talks about having kids being the death sentence for golfers, but it's not as immediate as that IMO. First couple years I've heard described as "baby jail" which is fairly accurate. You just need to be there and around and put in time and help as needed. Ages 3-6 are the sweet spot IMO as they're capable of handling themselves a little more independently and you get out some more again. When you start getting into little league and soccer is where the trouble begins. This year is extra crappy because the spring was so awful and wiped out some weekend round chances I had, combined with rainout makeups. If you can get out early and be in early you'll be fine, but that's a different challenge.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, VNutz said:

You've got about 5 good years in my experience. Everybody talks about having kids being the death sentence for golfers, but it's not as immediate as that IMO. First couple years I've heard described as "baby jail" which is fairly accurate. You just need to be there and around and put in time and help as needed. Ages 3-6 are the sweet spot IMO as they're capable of handling themselves a little more independently and you get out some more again. When you start getting into little league and soccer is where the trouble begins. This year is extra crappy because the spring was so awful and wiped out some weekend round chances I had, combined with rainout makeups. If you can get out early and be in early you'll be fine, but that's a different challenge.

Got my first one on the way and you guys aren't giving me much hope here!  Being older (42) I think we both have some good perspective tho from seeing how friends handled things ect.  I'm guessing my best route is gonna be to become one of those 5am guys and if I can get out ahead of the pack I can route through 18 on my own in 2ish hours.  We'll see, I half wonder if I'll even want to be on a golf course over being at home with the kid.  As much as I love golf, it's not my favorite thing in the world and I lose interest in it at the expensive of other things. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

11 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Got my first one on the way and you guys aren't giving me much hope here!  Being older (42) I think we both have some good perspective tho from seeing how friends handled things ect.  I'm guessing my best route is gonna be to become one of those 5am guys and if I can get out ahead of the pack I can route through 18 on my own in 2ish hours.  We'll see, I half wonder if I'll even want to be on a golf course over being at home with the kid.  As much as I love golf, it's not my favorite thing in the world and I lose interest in it at the expensive of other things. 

Congrats! All joking and griping aside, it's the best thing in the world, and frankly worth missing stuff like golf and other things. The best part is introducing them to loves like golf (and baseball in my case) and sharing it with them as they grow. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

Played Shepherds Crook for the first time and was extremely impressed.  The conditions were immaculate and for $56 on a Sunday morning, you could not beat it.  We were behind a foursome and waited alot but still managed four hours on the button.   I thought the layout was very fair while still challenging.  Some of the par four's blend together but that is about the only complaint.   Quite possibly the nicest bunkers I have played all year!

• Like 1

If anyone is interested.... I just saw the Pro Circle Demo Day up in Spring Grove is this Saturday from 11-3.

It's free and hitting off grass which is nice.

Sign said these manufacturers will be there....

Taylormade

Cobra

Cleveland/Srixon

Wilson

Honma

Tour Edge

Doesn't look like Ping, Titleist or Callaway will be there this year for some reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VNutz said:

Yeah, I'm in the sweet spot right now and have been an early morning golfer for years. I'm generally home before 11 on Saturdays so the only thing I miss is Saturday AM swimming lessons. And that's something my wife is far more into than I am anyway. She was a swimmer. Loves being in the pool with her. I know when soccer, softball and all that other fun stuff really starts to kick in. That's when golf takes a backseat. 

@MountainKing, congrats. It's the best thing ever. Seriously, nothing compares. I love golf but being a dad is 1000 times better. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Yeah, I'm in the sweet spot right now and have been an early morning golfer for years. I'm generally home before 11 on Saturdays so the only thing I miss is Saturday AM swimming lessons. And that's something my wife is far more into than I am anyway. She was a swimmer. Loves being in the pool with her. I know when soccer, softball and all that other fun stuff really starts to kick in. That's when golf takes a backseat. 

@MountainKing, congrats. It's the best thing ever. Seriously, nothing compares. I love golf but being a dad is 1000 times better. 

Thanks guys!  I can't wait.  We'll see what happens next year and beyond, but like I said I often lose focus/interest on the game at the expense of other things so once she's here I may not have much motivation to play.  My old man was never around much since he had to travel for work (and I don't mean this to shade him, he sacraficed a lot to make sure we had everything we needed), and I don't want her to have the same experience as that, especially over something that's a hobby.  Hopefully she'll have an interest in the game as she gets older, but if not that's fine as well.  I want her to be her own person and look forward to supporting her in whatever she digs. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 hours ago, Shriner said:

Played Shepherds Crook for the first time and was extremely impressed.  The conditions were immaculate and for $56 on a Sunday morning, you could not beat it.  We were behind a foursome and waited alot but still managed four hours on the button.   I thought the layout was very fair while still challenging.  Some of the par four's blend together but that is about the only complaint.   Quite possibly the nicest bunkers I have played all year!

always a fun track and they keep the greens in very good condition year round.

they did raise rates this year, to the consternation of some Lake County players that were accustomed to a bargain.

don't know if volume of play has been affected.

when they had their Players Club, it worked out to about $55 to ride on weekend mornings.

now the rack rate to ride is $74, and for that there are some other course options with additional amenities, like a range.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

5 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

always a fun track and they keep the greens in very good condition year round.

they did raise rates this year, to the consternation of some Lake County players that were accustomed to a bargain.

don't know if volume of play has been affected.

when they had their Players Club, it worked out to about $55 to ride on weekend mornings.

now the rack rate to ride is $74, and for that there are some other course options with additional amenities, like a range.

The walking rate remains the same as last year.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Enjoyed TopTracer at St Andrews. Normally it’s only open after 8 PM, but it’s open all day on rainy days. And it’s free with the purchase of a bucket. Great opportunity to dial in your numbers. I would bring a larger plastic tee to place under the mat though.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

30 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

The walking rate remains the same as last year.

Shepherd's has been one of my go-to's for many years.

The pricing is fine for me, as I still walk the course.

The group I was in there for about ten years on Saturday mornings had a 5:30 start.

Changed my life for the better.

Some of the group began to play SC when the course opened. To be fair, they all live much closer than I.

Still, was surprised when a few of them were really miffed at the price increase.  I didn't think the change was all that significant for riders.

Maybe they just thought things would stay constant but life isn't like that.

Everybody wins when they play the game - no matter where.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I golfed more than ever before our first one was born (March 2020) because I was nervous golf wasn't going to be a thing once I had a kid. First couple months I didn't get out a ton since I wanted to be around to help and also because she was born the week of the shutdown and we were told no one should be coming over to help... once we got past that, golf was back on. 

#2 is coming next Wednesday at the very latest, so golf will take a back seat for the next couple months. Unfortunate timing with summer finally being here in Chicago! But since we have family all close by, hopefully someone can pop over to help my wife while I go get a round in 🙂 .

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport