Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @MBBG said:> Was able to make it in and pick mine up. Had my retailer check lofts and lies. Lofts were spot in but all the MBs were 3/4* flat to requested spec while the HMBs were perfect. Weird. Beautiful clubs. > > 01465-AB8-AD5-B-4451-AC3-C-7-B6-A992-B6169> DDB165-B3-1-B8-B-4-A26-BDC0-334121736-C43

upload images

How are the wedges?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

> @StarFleetGolfer said:> > @MBBG said:> > Was able to make it in and pick mine up. Had my retailer check lofts and lies. Lofts were spot in but all the MBs were 3/4* flat to requested spec while the HMBs were perfect. Weird. Beautiful clubs. > > > > 01465-AB8-AD5-B-4451-AC3-C-7-B6-A992-B6169> > DDB165-B3-1-B8-B-4-A26-BDC0-334121736-C43

upload images

> > How are the wedges?Shape and size is perfect to my eye. Gorgeous finish. The Z Cords and TI S400 are a really nice touch even though I got mine with CP2 midsize wraps to match my irons. I went through gobs of wedges until 2015 everything from obscure JDM to Callaways to Vokeys and the 2015 JDM Forged Vokeys stuck for 5 seasons. So for me its saying something to be switching. The T-20 wedges just match the MP-20 irons perfectly...they look like extensions of the iron set rather than a wedge set. The 2015 Vokey Forged have an exaggerated leading edge grind and that’s why they stuck around so long because I’m a big of a steep digger with wedges especially and the Mizunos don’t have that so it’ll be interesting to see how the turf interaction is for me.

• Like 1
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @MBBG said:> > > @StarFleetGolfer said:> > > @MBBG said:> > > Was able to make it in and pick mine up. Had my retailer check lofts and lies. Lofts were spot in but all the MBs were 3/4* flat to requested spec while the HMBs were perfect. Weird. Beautiful clubs. > > > > > > 01465-AB8-AD5-B-4451-AC3-C-7-B6-A992-B6169> > > DDB165-B3-1-B8-B-4-A26-BDC0-334121736-C43

upload images

> > > > How are the wedges?> > Shape and size is perfect to my eye. Gorgeous finish. The Z Cords and TI S400 are a really nice touch even though I got mine with CP2 midsize wraps to match my irons.> > I went through gobs of wedges until 2015 everything from obscure JDM to Callaways to Vokeys and the 2015 JDM Forged Vokeys stuck for 5 seasons. So for me its saying something to be switching. The T-20 wedges just match the MP-20 irons perfectly...they look like extensions of the iron set rather than a wedge set. > > The 2015 Vokey Forged have an exaggerated leading edge grind and that’s why they stuck around so long because I’m a big of a steep digger with wedges especially and the Mizunos don’t have that so it’ll be interesting to see how the turf interaction is for me. > > Interested to hear about turf interaction. What lofts/bounces did you go with?

> @Crooksc17 said:

> Wow, very long playing length on your woods :p

>

Nah , the Ogio wood slots are just super shallow ?

> @MBBG said:> > > @StarFleetGolfer said:> > > @MBBG said:> > > Was able to make it in and pick mine up. Had my retailer check lofts and lies. Lofts were spot in but all the MBs were 3/4* flat to requested spec while the HMBs were perfect. Weird. Beautiful clubs. > > > > > > 01465-AB8-AD5-B-4451-AC3-C-7-B6-A992-B6169> > > DDB165-B3-1-B8-B-4-A26-BDC0-334121736-C43

upload images

> > > > How are the wedges?> > Shape and size is perfect to my eye. Gorgeous finish. The Z Cords and TI S400 are a really nice touch even though I got mine with CP2 midsize wraps to match my irons.> > I went through gobs of wedges until 2015 everything from obscure JDM to Callaways to Vokeys and the 2015 JDM Forged Vokeys stuck for 5 seasons. So for me its saying something to be switching. The T-20 wedges just match the MP-20 irons perfectly...they look like extensions of the iron set rather than a wedge set. > > The 2015 Vokey Forged have an exaggerated leading edge grind and that’s why they stuck around so long because I’m a big of a steep digger with wedges especially and the Mizunos don’t have that so it’ll be interesting to see how the turf interaction is for me. > > Thanks. Great info

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

27 holes in with mine now. I think this is the best iron they have made since the MP33.. just my opinion... the MP4 was really nice.. but these new 20's are something special.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Got a round booked for tomorrow am, hoping we can miss the rain.

> @pga43 said:

> > @archer1 said:

> > The effort, and time, which went into these photographs is very much appreciated.

>

> Thx, they are so much easier to photograph when they are shafted but they didn't have any sets made up yet.

>

>

> Greg

Thanks for sharing Greg. Now if I could only buy the 4-pw heads only, I have the shafts waiting and ready to install. Like to see if these can kick my 2008 Cobra Pro MB's out of the bag as the Cobra's removed my Mizuno MP29's out of the bag which were in my bag for many years. Here's hoping these MP20's have the feel of the 29's or TN87's.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

> @musclefront said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > Which looks chunky? Mine are a split set of HMB and MBs.

>

> The MP20’s mb. Saw them in person and was disappointed. Oh well

Doggone it

I’m really impressed with how these get up in the air. People always say MBs are hard to launch but imo all my forays into more GI clubs have been harder to launch like the Srixon 5 series and JPX Forged and those sets had Modus 105 and CTL in them. Some of the highest launching sets I’ve had over the years have been blades with low launching stiff shafts.

After struggling with low ball flight all year it was a pure joy to see my 7 iron launch on a perfect trajectory on my first approach shot with it and land softly on the right edge of the green from 165. Dropped 4 more and every one was pin high. I noticed I was setting up for a draw like I hit with the Modus 105 and was hitting it straight and I was missing right a hair so I had to adjust for that.

Pulled the 8 out so I could see what would happen if I stepped on an 8 from that distance, of course I missed it so far toeside it was almost off the grooves, but it still landed on the front fringe about 2’ from the green. I can sure live with that level of “punishment”.

Played first full round yesterday and think I hit more good iron shots in one round than I did all summer with my Srixons with Modus 105. Those were just not a good fit for me.

One thing that was kind of funny was that every time I hit the ball pure my playing partners said “good shot” regardless of whether the ball was actually flying at my intended target or not. Playing TP5x and 2019 PV1 good shots with these irons sound like iron shots the pros hit on TV. ?

• Like 1

> @MBBG said:

> Played first full round yesterday and think I hit more good iron shots in one round than I did all summer with my Srixons with Modus 105. Those were just not a good fit for me.

>

> One thing that was kind of funny was that every time I hit the ball pure my playing partners said “good shot” regardless of whether the ball was actually flying at my intended target or not. Playing TP5x and 2019 PV1 good shots with these irons sound like iron shots the pros hit on TV. ?

What setup of mp-20s did you go with?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

They are a bit chunky in person for an MB, but that probably makes them more forgiving. I think the swingweights on mine are a bit low but after 3 rounds three some lighter grips on and don’t mind. Hitting everything about 5 yards further as well. They are definitely high launch high spin as far as blades go, although mine are 1* weak.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @mBiden2 said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > Played first full round yesterday and think I hit more good iron shots in one round than I did all summer with my Srixons with Modus 105. Those were just not a good fit for me.

> >

> > One thing that was kind of funny was that every time I hit the ball pure my playing partners said “good shot” regardless of whether the ball was actually flying at my intended target or not. Playing TP5x and 2019 PV1 good shots with these irons sound like iron shots the pros hit on TV. ?

>

> What setup of mp-20s did you go with?

3-6 HMB 7-P MB with AMT Tour White shafts

The 3 iron has already been invaluable to me for a punch out club, long par 3 tee shots, and 220y from FW carry club and I didn’t think I’d hardly ever use it.

The MP20 MB Modus 120x are pretty sweet. They launch high and are some of the easiest irons I have swung in a long time.

Good control on the flights and they feel awesome.

This is coming from my old standby, 2014 TM MB and RAC MB ZTPs

They little bigger blade and slightly thicker looking, which I thought was a detractor, but after a few swings, oh my.

Turf interaction is great, so the grind works well with me

• Like 1

Everybody relax, I’m here

This is pretty random but with all the talk about the size of these MBs being a little bigger (which is actually a plus for me) how cool would it be if Mizuno made a Moira Baby Blade style iron with the Mizuno forging process/harmonic impact tech/copper underlay /awesome sole camber, but with sharper lines?

> @MBBG said:

> This is pretty random but with all the talk about the size of these MBs being a little bigger (which is actually a plus for me) how cool would it be if Mizuno made a Moira Baby Blade style iron with the Mizuno forging process/harmonic impact tech/copper underlay /awesome sole camber, but with sharper lines?

Check out the mizuno MS-11

Super thin topline, very small blade, cambered sole, copper and satin finish. Just awesome. Only downfall is the offsets looks weird in the shorter irons.

ev475xypprm7.jpeg

• Like 1

> @MBBG said:

> > @mBiden2 said:

> > > @MBBG said:

> > > Played first full round yesterday and think I hit more good iron shots in one round than I did all summer with my Srixons with Modus 105. Those were just not a good fit for me.

> > >

> > > One thing that was kind of funny was that every time I hit the ball pure my playing partners said “good shot” regardless of whether the ball was actually flying at my intended target or not. Playing TP5x and 2019 PV1 good shots with these irons sound like iron shots the pros hit on TV. ?

> >

> > What setup of mp-20s did you go with?

>

> 3-6 HMB 7-P MB with AMT Tour White shafts

>

> The 3 iron has already been invaluable to me for a punch out club, long par 3 tee shots, and 220y from FW carry club and I didn’t think I’d hardly ever use it.

>

>

Coming from the Modus, how do you find the AMT White? I was contemplating DG120 or AMT as it would seem the AMTs would be a little easier to swing once we get down to the 6, 5 and so on. I know it's only early days, but did you consider other shafts, and have you noticed differences in dispersion or distance? Thanks

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

> Coming from the Modus, how do you find the AMT White? I was contemplating DG120 or AMT as it would seem the AMTs would be a little easier to swing once we get down to the 6, 5 and so on. I know it's only early days, but did you consider other shafts, and have you noticed differences in dispersion or distance? Thanks

I did consider other shafts including the Modus 125S. The 125S have been the best iron shafts I’ve ever used for mid to short irons but with the weight and profile I needed a little extra launch on the long irons. That’s why I went to the 105 in the new Srixons I bought last winter because I thought the 105 was basically just a lighter version of the 125 I had such good luck with. But I just didn’t get along with that shaft at all in S flex.

I really liked the idea of lighter shafts in the longer irons to help with launch transitioning to heavier in the short irons and wedges for control. Also the new Mizuno wedges I got have the DG TI S400 which played into my decision. There is no question that my ball striking and comfort level swinging the AMT White improved dramatically from the 105S. It’s simply a more stable shaft that works better for my swing.

I have a shorter swing with an abrupt transition. Just really didn’t have a good feel for where the head was at and getting things timed up. Reminded me a lot of the MCI composite shafts I had in some Srixon 745 years back...loved the feel at impact and how they looked but just didn’t perform as I hoped.

So basically I didn’t want to do a split shaft set like a 105/125 as I wanted consistency throughout the set, I was intrigued by the $ Taper but have had bad luck in the past with KBS shafts with tips bending despite them performing and feeling great, I wanted lighter long iron shafts and heavier short iron shafts than the DG 120 offered. I’ve always had good luck with Steelfiber shafts but the up-charge was a deal breaker for me.

So basically I took a flyer on the AMT because I thought it checked the most boxes for me without having to pay up-charges. So far I’m quite pleased. I think I’m giving up maybe a 1/3 - 1/2 club distance compared to the Srixons with 105s but that makes sense given the lighter shaft and stronger lofts. I don’t much care how far I hit an iron as long as I know how far each one is going to go.

@MBBG thanks for the detailed response. Hope they work out for you. This is me also "I have a shorter swing with an abrupt transition." I have been playing the PX LZ 6.0 in my 919 Tours with some success but tend to turn them over a little too much when I step on the gas. I have a DG S300 in my 5 iron (MP 18 Fli Hi) and seem to hit it more consistently (and straighter) than the LZ. I may have to take the plunge on the MP-20 with either the DG/120/AMTs. DG tend to have a stiffer tip which suits my swing.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

My clubs have arrived this morning, will go and pick up at my club where I ordered from. FYI - I ordered exactly 2 weeks ago on the 18th.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @beluga99 said:

> @MBBG thanks for the detailed response. Hope they work out for you. This is me also "I have a shorter swing with an abrupt transition." I have been playing the PX LZ 6.0 in my 919 Tours with some success but tend to turn them over a little too much when I step on the gas. I have a DG S300 in my 5 iron (MP 18 Fli Hi) and seem to hit it more consistently (and straighter) than the LZ. I may have to take the plunge on the MP-20 with either the DG/120/AMTs. DG tend to have a stiffer tip which suits my swing.

Certainly don’t overlook the Modus 125 if you don’t mind that weight in your longer irons. If you’re hitting a 5 iron well with DG S300 sounds to me like the weight won’t be an issue. Very stable and straight shaft just a little heavy for my in the 4-5 iron range. I used to be a flipper and hit the ball a mile high but once I mostly cured that launch height has become a big deal for me.

> @lefty1978 said:

> My clubs have arrived this morning, will go and pick up at my club where I ordered from. FYI - I ordered exactly 2 weeks ago on the 18th.

Wait...I assume you’re a lefty and ordered SELs? I though I read they weren’t out yet. I just placed my own order, and would be thrilled to see a 2 week turnaround.

Thanks l!

> @CallawayLefty said:

> Nice! How you liking them?

These are a beautiful set of irons. Picked up today, hit them at the range and played a quick 9 holes in 94° heat..where's fall?? Hit beautifully, they are longer than my MP-32s, going to have to dial in my distances. They will go right in the bag. I just ordered the HMB 4 iron as well to complete my MP-20 bag.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @CallawayLefty said:

> > Nice! How you liking them?

>

> These are a beautiful set of irons. Picked up today, hit them at the range and played a quick 9 holes in 94° heat..where's fall?? Hit beautifully, they are longer than my MP-32s, going to have to dial in my distances. They will go right in the bag. I just ordered the HMB 4 iron as well to complete my MP-20 bag.

WOW!!! So so beautiful. Keep us updated on how you're getting along with them as you get some more rounds under your belt.

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]