Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @CallawayLefty said:

> > Nice! How you liking them?

>

> These are a beautiful set of irons. Picked up today, hit them at the range and played a quick 9 holes in 94° heat..where's fall?? Hit beautifully, they are longer than my MP-32s, going to have to dial in my distances. They will go right in the bag. I just ordered the HMB 4 iron as well to complete my MP-20 bag.

Curious (as per my post above) I see you have the s300 in your 3 iron and the DG120 in your MP-20s. Do you notice much difference in weight when swinging the club? Why did you not go straight s300 throughout?

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

> @beluga99 said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > > @CallawayLefty said:

> > > Nice! How you liking them?

> >

> > These are a beautiful set of irons. Picked up today, hit them at the range and played a quick 9 holes in 94° heat..where's fall?? Hit beautifully, they are longer than my MP-32s, going to have to dial in my distances. They will go right in the bag. I just ordered the HMB 4 iron as well to complete my MP-20 bag.

>

> Curious (as per my post above) I see you have the s300 in your 3 iron and the DG120 in your MP-20s. Do you notice much difference in weight when swinging the club? Why did you not go straight s300 throughout?

I hit every shaft Mizuno had in their fitting cart, and I know I love the feel of the dg s300. It was not the best performer for me, that was the px lz 6.0, but I just didn't care for the feel of that shaft.

The dg 120 felt identical to my old standard s300, but felt slightly easier to swing. The 120 feels marginally lighter, but retains that same dynamic gold s300 feel. I felt the lighter shaft would be beneficial in the long run, I'm 41 and not getting any younger.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Nice! I went with the 4-Pw and Modus 120. I spent two long demo sessions with that combo and really liked the results. In general I felt like this was the most forgiving blade I have ever hit. I’d personally characterize it as a “fake blade.” To me it’s a little bigger and feels a little more springy than a typical blade. A very strong flight for sure.

As to the SELs in particular, I love (at least on paper) how they handled the gapping. 4* gaps all the way down the bag. Hoping it leads to nice consistent distances.

> @CallawayLefty said:

> Nice! I went with the 4-Pw and Modus 120. I spent two long demo sessions with that combo and really liked the results. In general I felt like this was the most forgiving blade I have ever hit. I’d personally characterize it as a “fake blade.” To me it’s a little bigger and feels a little more springy than a typical blade. A very strong flight for sure.

>

> As to the SELs in particular, I love (at least on paper) how they handled the gapping. 4* gaps all the way down the bag. Hoping it leads to nice consistent distances.

I liked the Modus 120 and the KBS $ taper as well, but I was a bit scared to move away from the dynamic golds.

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

> @lefty1978 said:

> > @beluga99 said:

> > > @lefty1978 said:

> > > > @CallawayLefty said:

> > > > Nice! How you liking them?

> > >

> > > These are a beautiful set of irons. Picked up today, hit them at the range and played a quick 9 holes in 94° heat..where's fall?? Hit beautifully, they are longer than my MP-32s, going to have to dial in my distances. They will go right in the bag. I just ordered the HMB 4 iron as well to complete my MP-20 bag.

> >

> > Curious (as per my post above) I see you have the s300 in your 3 iron and the DG120 in your MP-20s. Do you notice much difference in weight when swinging the club? Why did you not go straight s300 throughout?

>

> I hit every shaft Mizuno had in their fitting cart, and I know I love the feel of the dg s300. It was not the best performer for me, that was the px lz 6.0, but I just didn't care for the feel of that shaft.

>

> The dg 120 felt identical to my old standard s300, but felt slightly easier to swing. The 120 feels marginally lighter, but retains that same dynamic gold s300 feel. I felt the lighter shaft would be beneficial in the long run, I'm 41 and not getting any younger.

Thanks for your input. Trying to narrow down to 3 or 4 option before I go and test.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

5 rounds in with 6-pw, I am not sold to be completely honest. Keep in mind this is coming from a good ball striking 3 handicap who has never played blades before. My miss tends to be low on the face and these things just don’t carry with that miss for me. Also been taking huge divots... the low bounce is probably not ideal for a digger who plays on soft, wet Northern California courses.

They look and feel incredible when hit solid, perhaps just not for me. T100s look like the obvious next choice. I’ll probably never stop trying to find a blade I can hit though.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

What irons are you coming from? I’m a bit of a digger and coming from Srixons with the V sole was concerned about turf interaction. Played Sunday after 3.25” of rain in 36 hours with 90 degree cart rule so obviously very soft wet conditions and was very pleasantly surprised to not see any issues.

I would agree there are probably better choices for a thin miss, I think irons with sole slots are great for that but not gonna find that in a blade that I’m aware of.

The Epon Personal 2’s might be something to look into. A very beautiful unique minimalist design with a forgiving sole camber, easy launch, play almost like a CB but with MB feel.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

What did you think of the $Taper? It sucks Mizuno does not have the Modus 130, that's what I have in my MP4s and like them a lot.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @MBBG said:

> What irons are you coming from? I’m a bit of a digger and coming from Srixons with the V sole was concerned about turf interaction. Played Sunday after 3.25” of rain in 36 hours with 90 degree cart rule so obviously very soft wet conditions and was very pleasantly surprised to not see any issues.

>

> I would agree there are probably better choices for a thin miss, I think irons with sole slots are great for that but not gonna find that in a blade that I’m aware of.

>

> The Epon Personal 2’s might be something to look into. A very beautiful unique minimalist design with a forgiving sole camber, easy launch, play almost like a CB but with MB feel.

miura cb lh. I don’t think they made personals in left handed. Thinking of 302s though, might get the new miura blades as well, the y grind is money.

Lefty

Alright, I've played 27 holes with my new MP-20 SEL set. They are everything I expected from a Mizuno MP set. I don't have any crazy stories from the course, these irons feel incredible. They are about 7 yards longer than my MP-32 set and slightly more forgiving on low strikes. I have 18 more tomorrow starting at 7:28am.

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > What irons are you coming from? I’m a bit of a digger and coming from Srixons with the V sole was concerned about turf interaction. Played Sunday after 3.25” of rain in 36 hours with 90 degree cart rule so obviously very soft wet conditions and was very pleasantly surprised to not see any issues.

> >

> > I would agree there are probably better choices for a thin miss, I think irons with sole slots are great for that but not gonna find that in a blade that I’m aware of.

> >

> > The Epon Personal 2’s might be something to look into. A very beautiful unique minimalist design with a forgiving sole camber, easy launch, play almost like a CB but with MB feel.

>

> miura cb lh. I don’t think they made personals in left handed. Thinking of 302s though, might get the new miura blades as well, the y grind is money.

Sorry completely whiffed on the lefty thing.

> @MBBG said:> 57-DD7403-9938-477-F-AFB3-12-AB04089-E0-F

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

So far so good. Love the shape. Put a lot of spin on the ball. Sound and feel is, of course, very good.

> @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

>

> 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

>

You need to hit the nippon 130x they would be perfect for you. I have the 120x and love them. Second set in my Mizuno’s But I don’t have the speed you have.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I have a set of mint epon af302 for sale if you are interested. Also i came from LH miura blades Y grinds, epon 302 has a very similar sole grind/relief as the Y grind. 302 goes for a full club further than the miura blade with a soft feel.

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > What irons are you coming from? I’m a bit of a digger and coming from Srixons with the V sole was concerned about turf interaction. Played Sunday after 3.25” of rain in 36 hours with 90 degree cart rule so obviously very soft wet conditions and was very pleasantly surprised to not see any issues.

> >

> > I would agree there are probably better choices for a thin miss, I think irons with sole slots are great for that but not gonna find that in a blade that I’m aware of.

> >

> > The Epon Personal 2’s might be something to look into. A very beautiful unique minimalist design with a forgiving sole camber, easy launch, play almost like a CB but with MB feel.

>

> miura cb lh. I don’t think they made personals in left handed. Thinking of 302s though, might get the new miura blades as well, the y grind is money.

> I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

>

> 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

>

Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

> >

> > 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

> >

>

> Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

If you’re carrying it that far why is a little extra spin a bad thing? It’s not like he needs the distance.

Lefty

Mine are ordered with KBS Tour X and I am sitting by the window waiting on the mail man! I can’t wait!

Currently playing 10 clubs

Titleist TSR2 9* [Tensei White 1k 6TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 14.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 7TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 17.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 8TX]

GEOM Golf Moe [Raw] [21, 29, 37, 45] [LA Golf 125X]

Artisan Golf [Raw] [54, 60] [LA Golf 125X]

Bettinardi BB1F Blackout [LA Golf Soho]

Iomic Grips make the best grips in golf (sponsor me please)

@TheGolfBench builds my clubs

#PlayOrPerish #LeadTapeChronicles #SlowPlayersWillBeAskedToLeave

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > > I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

> > >

> > > 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

>

> If you’re carrying it that far why is a little extra spin a bad thing? It’s not like he needs the distance.

Nothing wrong, just seems inefficient. I think most agree that the correct spin number for a 7 iron is right at 7K. He is well above that and reached to 8K with one shaft. I am not saying it is not playable. Just that he could be leaving some gains on the table... He is probably a better golfer than me. They just struck me as high.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

How is the gapping working for you? Did you adjust the lofts to match a little better? Thats the EXACT setup I am planning to get, as I can hit the MB 7iron really well but need a little extra help on the 6 and downwards.> @MBBG said:> 57-DD7403-9938-477-F-AFB3-12-AB04089-E0-F

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > > > I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

> > > >

> > > > 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

> >

> > If you’re carrying it that far why is a little extra spin a bad thing? It’s not like he needs the distance.

>

> Nothing wrong, just seems inefficient. I think most agree that the correct spin number for a 7 iron is right at 7K. He is well above that and reached to 8K with one shaft. I am not saying it is not playable. Just that he could be leaving some gains on the table... He is probably a better golfer than me. They just struck me as high.

My main reason for wanting to lower spin is because I am looking for a stronger flight especially on windy days. Hitting it to the moon with a 15-20 mph crosswind or headwind can wreak havoc on controlling the outcome of any shot. I have hit a 7i Callaway Apex Pro Forged with C-Taper 130x and it was flying 206 average with the long going 212 and it was very penetrating so I know I’ll hit it farther (and STRAIGHTER) with the correct setup, finding that setup is the main goal right now. I honestly do not care what the distance is because with my current setup I am about as short as I could be with the irons so I am looking for a flight that I consider to be ideal to my eye. Those #’s posted were 1 day after taking a cast off my foot so my normal 7i SS is closer to 102-104 and spin is usually upper 7’s to 8,000. At any rate I am getting an iron fitting Saturday so we will see what happens.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @golfinguru11 said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > > > > I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

> > > > >

> > > > > 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

> > >

> > > If you’re carrying it that far why is a little extra spin a bad thing? It’s not like he needs the distance.

> >

> > Nothing wrong, just seems inefficient. I think most agree that the correct spin number for a 7 iron is right at 7K. He is well above that and reached to 8K with one shaft. I am not saying it is not playable. Just that he could be leaving some gains on the table... He is probably a better golfer than me. They just struck me as high.

>

> My main reason for wanting to lower spin is because I am looking for a stronger flight especially on windy days. Hitting it to the moon with a 15-20 mph crosswind or headwind can wreak havoc on controlling the outcome of any shot. I have hit a 7i Callaway Apex Pro Forged with C-Taper 130x and it was flying 206 average with the long going 212 and it was very penetrating so I know I’ll hit it farther (and STRAIGHTER) with the correct setup, finding that setup is the main goal right now. I honestly do not care what the distance is because with my current setup I am about as short as I could be with the irons so I am looking for a flight that I consider to be ideal to my eye. Those #’s posted were 1 day after taking a cast off my foot so my normal 7i SS is closer to 102-104 and spin is usually upper 7’s to 8,000. At any rate I am getting an iron fitting Saturday so we will see what happens.

Cool, please post the numbers. I would love to see if anything has changed.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @golfinguru11 said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > > > > I went and demoed the lefty 7 iron with 6 different shafts and they all seemed the same to me besides feel.. every shot was hit with a ProV1x on GC2 or whatever that system is called. Many would look at the data and pick the Nippon but that shaft was producing a pull while I normally hit a high fade. Nippon felt overly kicky in the 120x so I’d like to try the tx. DG felt like garbage to me and I found they were the toughest to hit solid for whatever reason. At any rate I was surprised 6 different shafts produced nearly identical numbers on average of 5-6 decent shots with each

> > > > >

> > > > > 9wdfkebzi90c.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Pretty high spin numbers. With the ball speeds you are showing you should be getting 15 more yard easy.

> > >

> > > If you’re carrying it that far why is a little extra spin a bad thing? It’s not like he needs the distance.

> >

> > Nothing wrong, just seems inefficient. I think most agree that the correct spin number for a 7 iron is right at 7K. He is well above that and reached to 8K with one shaft. I am not saying it is not playable. Just that he could be leaving some gains on the table... He is probably a better golfer than me. They just struck me as high.

>

> My main reason for wanting to lower spin is because I am looking for a stronger flight especially on windy days. Hitting it to the moon with a 15-20 mph crosswind or headwind can wreak havoc on controlling the outcome of any shot. I have hit a 7i Callaway Apex Pro Forged with C-Taper 130x and it was flying 206 average with the long going 212 and it was very penetrating so I know I’ll hit it farther (and STRAIGHTER) with the correct setup, finding that setup is the main goal right now. I honestly do not care what the distance is because with my current setup I am about as short as I could be with the irons so I am looking for a flight that I consider to be ideal to my eye. Those #’s posted were 1 day after taking a cast off my foot so my normal 7i SS is closer to 102-104 and spin is usually upper 7’s to 8,000. At any rate I am getting an iron fitting Saturday so we will see what happens.

This makes more sense now. Controlling flight windows is definitely a more lofty (no pun intended) goal than just hitting arbitrary spin targets on a launch monitor. I’d expect nothing less though, you are a +3 playin in the mid am. we are just plebs.

Lefty