2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Whatever Happened to Liquid Metal Golf

choeppner

Hey Guys,

Anybody know what happened to the Company Liquid Metal Golf. Never real hear about them anymore, and I remember they used to make some pretty nice woods. Did they go under, as I no longer see companies stocking them, or anyone playing them. If I remember right, back when I was at SDGA in 2000 a Liquid metal driver would run you around 300-400 dollars so not cheap by any means. Just wondering what ever happened to them now? Are they still making golf clubs, get bought out?

Thanks

-CHRIS-

The last I had heard they were bought out by Cleveland Golf a while back ago.

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

Golfsmith had some of their components a year or two ago. I guess once you have hit that level you are done as a company. Same thing with the MAC by Burrows Golf. They had some of their stuff too.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I don't know what happened as far as who bought what right's etc, BUT...

The clubs had good feel, but were very expensive for the time (pre Tour issue and import days lol) and the iron lie's couldn't be bent; actually, you could bend them, but they slipped back to the stock lie very quickly. Price, limited adjustability, and competing with established companies like Callaway, Taylor, and Titleist probably made the owners/backers decide to call it a day.

Cool material though.

Liquidmetal was a product produced at Howmet Foundries in Whitehall Michigan. The parent company was an overseas group of investors,but all of the work from design to production was performed by Howmet. The investors eventually gave up on the product and Howmet took over. They eventually folded the line up after a few more years and sold remaining inventory and the rights Golfsmith.

PS At one time Howmet produced Titanium heads for Mizuno,Cobra,Macgregor, and Callaway

• Thanks 1

Liquidmetal was never able to rebound after their initial production run was deemed Non-Conforming by the powers that be. (when I think about it, this might be one of the first drivers to fail due to a rebound effect) They did another run that was deemed conforming, but it was a moot point and the company never took off commercially.

The "liquidmetal" alloy is still used in a number of other non-golf related applications and think Maruman licensed the technology in the late 90s for some stuff they were working on overseas.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, mfitzy said:

They have been out of business for about 20 years

Liquid Metal Corporation is no longer in the golf business, but it continues to be a company trying to design and sell products for the medical and, or, industrial industries. https://www.liquidmetal.com/

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2007 at 12:02 AM, gentles said:

Not sure about the golf company, but I kniw about the mother company.

It is the same company that produce Head Tennis equipment...I think the Babolat name is also under Liquidmetal. As far as I know, it was a short stint into the golfing world that never really took off.

Must have also produced Head skis. I had Head skis with Liquidmetal in them.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

I bought a putter off eBay probably 10 years ago.  It was some kind of Ford Motors promotional piece.  Actually pretty nice feeling (mostly) face-balanced model.  Totally smooth and shiny face.  The shaft in it is a single bend.  I just putt around the family room once in awhile because I like mallets.    Always wanted to pull the shaft and get more offset in it to see how it plays.  

F138B54E-EEED-4B46-81A2-17F54792EA77.jpeg

• Like 1

TaylorMade r5 Dual TP 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 83 R
TaylorMade R7 TP 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 19* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80 HB S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 22* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana H S
Titleist 735 CM 4 - PW with UST ProForce 115 RV2 Gold Tour R 
MacGregor MT Pro Gunmetal DW design 54* and 58* w/ DG S300
MacGregor Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings w/ BeCu insert

My brother-in-law has a full bag of Liquid Metal clubs.  They were designed by a team at Cal Tech (he is associated with folks there), but the clubs failed the conformance testing (as someone noted earlier), so that spelled the death knell for their golf foray.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a full Liquidmetal bag with 2 sets of irons(steel/graphite). Play them regularly and love the look and feel.

I did have a few durability issues over the years. My steel shafted 4 iron failed on me, breaking off at the end of the hosel. Another issue was with a PW that lost a big chunk off the sole due to a rock strike(it was hidden in the dirt).

I love the sound of the drivers too. Haven't been able to pull myself away from them. My golf gear is stuck in the 90s like I am...

Edited by AcePHA

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been buying their stock LQMT, since Apple bailed them out over 10 years ago.  Net net, they are much bigger than golf clubs. Apparently Apple has nearly 60ish patents today using Liquidmetal technology. The net of the technology is that they can inject a mixture of metals into cavities, just like plastic has been done for years. The metal cools and is more precise than anything out thee. Additionally the end results is lighter and stronger metal than other metals, like titanium and stainless steel.   Additionally, Apple products will utilize this technology. The rumor on the street is that the next Apple Watch, the "rugged one" will be BMG (Bulk Metallic Glass aka Lquidmetal).  Apple announce date is September 7th, 2022. Other areas that they targeted is Medical and auto industry. Tesla is going to re using their technology.. And lastly, the folding phones that everybody is using... the hinge is LQMT... So... I have been buying their stock for over 15 years... Hoping that the payoff is right around the corner. I'm going to celebrate by buying a full set of LQMT clubs from the Japanese company that currently working to bring the technology back..... Cheers happy golfing and... buy LQMT... it is currently at 9 cents.... going to 20 bucks (IMHO).  

Additional history:  Developed by CalTech grads, few years back ... the king of the industry (Professor Lee, man from China, spent 60 Million to buy the company). Lee is a Industry Major player and has been working to develop the Operations to support the wave of products that are coming!  Go check out Reddit.com. (search LQMT) and read up about it.   If you have 5K to invest... you might be glad you did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, DCGolf2022 said:

Been buying their stock LQMT, since Apple bailed them out over 10 years ago.  Net net, they are much bigger than golf clubs. Apparently Apple has nearly 60ish patents today using Liquidmetal technology. The net of the technology is that they can inject a mixture of metals into cavities, just like plastic has been done for years. The metal cools and is more precise than anything out thee. Additionally the end results is lighter and stronger metal than other metals, like titanium and stainless steel.   Additionally, Apple products will utilize this technology. The rumor on the street is that the next Apple Watch, the "rugged one" will be BMG (Bulk Metallic Glass aka Lquidmetal).  Apple announce date is September 7th, 2022. Other areas that they targeted is Medical and auto industry. Tesla is going to re using their technology.. And lastly, the folding phones that everybody is using... the hinge is LQMT... So... I have been buying their stock for over 15 years... Hoping that the payoff is right around the corner. I'm going to celebrate by buying a full set of LQMT clubs from the Japanese company that currently working to bring the technology back..... Cheers happy golfing and... buy LQMT... it is currently at 9 cents.... going to 20 bucks (IMHO).  

Additional history:  Developed by CalTech grads, few years back ... the king of the industry (Professor Lee, man from China, spent 60 Million to buy the company). Lee is a Industry Major player and has been working to develop the Operations to support the wave of products that are coming!  Go check out Reddit.com. (search LQMT) and read up about it.   If you have 5K to invest... you might be glad you did. 

That’s some pretty cool info. Might have to buy a few hundred shares just to put aside and see what happens. Can’t be worse than dodge coin was.