2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

whats an L4v? can someone give me information on it?

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

[quote name='cavemeister' post='2165397' date='Jan 6 2010, 01:58 PM']whats an L4v? can someone give me information on it?[/quote]

Go back to the initial post by Robopti. I followed his advice back then and got one with a PM 702 X that he also recommended. Still maybe the best longest driver ever. I play the R9 460 because it's a little more solid feeling, a little more muted, and a little more forgiving. But I still hit the L4V sometimes and it is one driver I will always keep. If I was still playing twice every week it might still be in the bag.

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Thnanks to this thread I'm playing my L4V F 10* with Protopype 60s since June 2008, and it's still in the bag. I've tried with an Adams A4 9015 10,5 but honestly it's so light compared with my L4V that I cannot feel it.

Two month ago I bought another head L4V X 9* and I put in it a Motore stiff , but this head is completely another beast than my 10* F . I cannot lift the ball, and my nice usual draw became a heavy fade. I bought then, for a steal, an Aldila NVS "PINK" 60g. regular with a GP PINK multicompound grip, and as soon as the snow melt here in northern Italy I'll try it on the course .

What I can say is that , for me, it's the easiest driver I've ever hit in 15 years of golf (and I'm a club ho!!) : yesterday I've played a narrow course, and I missed only a couple of fairways by few inches .

[quote name='blade_man' post='2145476' date='Dec 27 2009, 08:50 AM']OK, its after Christmas and lots of us have new equipment, I'm just wondering how many of us that use the L4V have switched to another driver this year. I for one am sticking with the Cobra until I find "that magic club" to replace it but that being said I'm not looking very hard right now. Still haven't tried the FT9 so that may be in the future.
Come on guys "fess" up and let me know if you're still drinking the Kool Aid![/quote]

I confess, my wife bought me a Ping G15 w/whiteboard for Christmas. I was able to play just 9 holes before the snow and sub freezing temperatures moved in so no real comparison yet. I'm leaving for 4 days of golf in Myrtle Beach next week, so I should know more after that. I will never get rid of my L4V, it's been to good to me. I have been thinking about pulling the grafalloy platinum shaft I have in it and putting something in that 46" or 47" just to experiment a little.

[i][color="#000080"]too funny... just like the 9015D thread, 90% of the people going on about how great and crazy long this driver is, no longer have it in their sigs.

We truly are just a bunch of club ho's. Wonder what tomorrow's flavor of the day will be? ;) [/color][/i]

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

Just getting around to trying one of these and trying to chose a shaft for the head. Typically use the Grafalloy Comp NT 85X, but after reading a few pages, not sure if that will be too much weight--another option I have lying around would be a Grafalloy BiMatrix Proto, a little lighter but not much. Any experience/suggestions would be much appreciated--thanks guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I swing around 100mph and found the bog standard 10* f speed l4v with the basic redboard stiff is really starting to work. Unless you have an unusual style or are swinging alot faster than most mortals, it's my opinion the stock shaft was chosen for a reason - because it should work for the vast majority. Believe me I've tried alot of drivers out and I can see this lasting most of this year at least in my bag....

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

https://www.caddiesbag.com/ has the L5V on sale right now for $139. Pretty good deal.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

[quote name='albatrosser' date='07 January 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1262877092' post='2166762']
[i][color="#000080"]too funny... just like the 9015D thread, 90% of the people going on about how great and crazy long this driver is, no longer have it in their sigs.

We truly are just a bunch of club ho's. Wonder what tomorrow's flavor of the day will be? ;) [/color][/i]
[/quote]

idk a lot of the 9015d guys have kept theirs. I'm getting one soon i think.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a used very inexpensive L4V F 9* with stiff stock shaft to tinker with. I had way to high launch angle approx. 20* with stock redboard shaft. Have not hit outside yet but expect I will have to replace the shaft. I play Fubuki and speeder 757 in current gamers. Any ideas on a shaft to cut down launch angle and spin that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?
thanks

Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 915 F
Titliest 915 2 hybrid, RBZ 4 hybrid
Titleist AP2 714 4-9iron
Nike Method model 001
Vokey 48, 52, 60

[quote name='KJ25' date='12 March 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1268444625' post='2312471']
I just picked up a used very inexpensive L4V F 9* with stiff stock shaft to tinker with. I had way to high launch angle approx. 20* with stock redboard shaft. Have not hit outside yet but expect I will have to replace the shaft. I play Fubuki and speeder 757 in current gamers. Any ideas on a shaft to cut down launch angle and spin that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?
thanks
[/quote]

Provided you dont want to swap the excellent 757 in to the Cobra--here are 3 shafts available for 50.00 or less on the auction site (that are popular in this head)

Aldila NV75
Grafalloy ProLaunch Red (original model)
Graphite Design Pershing 65 or 75 (not 55)
(even the red LDA model Throttle shaft is come down to this price range, and thats what I prefer)
'Luck

i think it's safe to assume the honeymoon period is over, hopefully not, hopefully for most it's a successful marriage, i was wondering what some of yous guys thoughts are on the l4vx after endless nights with it in your bag

the reason i ask is because i think it's time for me to pull the trigger, i've been eyeing this thing for roughly two years now, i just got my tax return and i've been working hard and saving every penny, all my money has been going into my savings, and my only luxuries have been "butts and beer" for over a year now

i'm looking for a fun driver, that is loud and keeps you exited for the next tee shot, anybody still willing to recommend this beast after 100's of predesesors? i'd like to treat myself to an l4vx 9* head, and get a brand new protopype from golfworks.com, and most importantly, i'm not looking for every little yard i can get, or to go through an extensive fitting, or the holy grail of drivers, just a fun monster that i can put in the bag and look forward to smashing over and over and over again, until i break it!

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

[quote name='307golf' date='21 March 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1269187400' post='2330935']
I'm still loving mine. There is no reason to look anywhere else for me. I have a back-up and will likely play the L4V for years to come... Long live the L4V/Protopype combo!!!
[/quote]

how do you feel about the swingweight? i think i remember reading the l4vx head was rather heavy. im looking at eather the 60x or 70x pype. i think the 60x would be better with the heavier head. not that the 10 grams is a life and death decision lol

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

I'm still gaming the L4VX as well. I had a 60-X pype in there for a while and it was good, but I then tipped the DVS that came with it originally an inch, and the thing is great. Has great hang time, but doesn't balloon with spin, and has some stank on it when it hits the ground. It's the definition of high launch, and seemingly low spin as well. Great combo for me.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Rob, et all-

I have played my L4V-X for about a year and a half now. I played 4 years of NCAA college golf and when I graduated I felt I needed a little more forgivenss. It has stayed in the bag longer than any other driver I have had however I can't say it's the longest that I've played.

I had a Ping G5 with a Proforce V2 Stiff 76g in 9* that I bombed but was often inaccurate with it. I could smoke it down to around 290-300 but it might be in rough (or off in the trees for that matter). I sold it, bought the L4V thinking I would need a little more shaft also.

I ordered my L4V from the factory with a Diamana BB 73-xstiff (or is it 77g? I can't remember off the top of my head). I have changed my swing slightly, throttled back just a hair to maintain accuracy and I have found that while my L4V finds the fairway and I can hit it on a rope, I feel I am not getting the most out of it and often the ball knuckles or drops out of the sky. I am thinking I need something with a little more spin and launch. I have considered dropping back to a stiff shaft to see what happens. I am hitting it out to about 280ish which is fine but I have to imagine what it would be like to drop down to a lighter shaft to see if I could really pound it.

Shaft recommendations for my L4V-X? I have scoured the pages but am somewhat puzzled as to which direction I should go. Admittingly I need to hop on a launch monitor to see what is going on but I was hoping you all could provide a little insight. I am confident though that the shaft is a little much for my liking. I enjoy the control but I feel handicapped by distance loss. 7 iron distance- 158 yards 6 iron distance 172 for reference 4 iron distance- 197 with a quick tempo.

IM gamming mine still or atleast for the winter. i love it and i just can crush the thing. I hitting on avg 15yrd further then my brother that hit a bit longer like 5yr. I like to play it for winter since it gives me more carry and then switch to my 905R in the summer. i love the 905 b/c i can work the ball and find the fairway 9/10 times. So far i been hitting 9/10 with L4. i had 2 one with BB and the other with ROmbax 6v05 I keep the one BB that thing is great. I will never sell eithetr driver smile.gif

[quote name='deadeye ruck' date='30 March 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1269981272' post='2350775']
Rob, et all-

I have played my L4V-X for about a year and a half now. I played 4 years of NCAA college golf and when I graduated I felt I needed a little more forgivenss. It has stayed in the bag longer than any other driver I have had however I can't say it's the longest that I've played.

I had a Ping G5 with a Proforce V2 Stiff 76g in 9* that I bombed but was often inaccurate with it. I could smoke it down to around 290-300 but it might be in rough (or off in the trees for that matter). I sold it, bought the L4V thinking I would need a little more shaft also.

I ordered my L4V from the factory with a Diamana BB 73-xstiff (or is it 77g? I can't remember off the top of my head). I have changed my swing slightly, throttled back just a hair to maintain accuracy and I have found that while my L4V finds the fairway and I can hit it on a rope, I feel I am not getting the most out of it and often the ball knuckles or drops out of the sky. I am thinking I need something with a little more spin and launch. I have considered dropping back to a stiff shaft to see what happens. I am hitting it out to about 280ish which is fine but I have to imagine what it would be like to drop down to a lighter shaft to see if I could really pound it.

Shaft recommendations for my L4V-X? I have scoured the pages but am somewhat puzzled as to which direction I should go. Admittingly I need to hop on a launch monitor to see what is going on but I was hoping you all could provide a little insight. I am confident though that the shaft is a little much for my liking. I enjoy the control but I feel handicapped by distance loss. 7 iron distance- 158 yards 6 iron distance 172 for reference 4 iron distance- 197 with a quick tempo.
[/quote]

ruck,
My distances on my irons are similar to yours, maybe a tad longer. I hit the L4V with a Prolaunch Platinum Stiff 63g. I smoke this thing. Long, accurate, and perfect trajectory. This is a sweet shaft with this head. You can swing smooth or bring the heat it doesn't matter, it just goes straight or a slight draw. Nice shaft and can be had cheap on ebay.

[quote name='kanzaclimber' date='30 March 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1269995927' post='2351267']
[quote name='deadeye ruck' date='30 March 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1269981272' post='2350775']
Rob, et all-

[/quote]

ruck,
My distances on my irons are similar to yours, maybe a tad longer. I hit the L4V with a Prolaunch Platinum Stiff 63g. I smoke this thing. Long, accurate, and perfect trajectory. This is a sweet shaft with this head. You can swing smooth or bring the heat it doesn't matter, it just goes straight or a slight draw. Nice shaft and can be had cheap on ebay.
[/quote]

I don't play the l4v but agree on the shaft really nice shaft for the money if it fits your swing, for me nice mid high launch with penetrating flight I play it in hyper x head.

The L4V continues to amaze me.

I have a 9* L4V F with a stiff DVS in it, and just drop bomb after bomb. In one of my worst ball striking rounds in recent memory, I still hit the majority of fairways and put myself in good position. I'm not getting much roll however, so i'll be picking up another head (hopefully on the cheap) and seeing what I can do to knock the launch and spin down a touch. The previously mentioned Prolauch Platinum sounds like a good inexpensive candidate.

This driver won't be going anywhere for a long, long time.

9.5* Callaway Rogue ST Max / MR Tensei Blue 55

15* TaylorMade SIM Ti / MR Diamana Limited FW 75

17.5* TaylorMade GAPR Hi / KBS Hybrid

21* Callaway Mavrik Max TC / MR Kuro Kage Black TiNi

5-GW Cobra Forged Tec X / KBS Tour Lite

52, 58* Ping Glide 4.0 / ZZ 115

Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth