2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MP-32 era vs. new era MP-20

wis99ski

Heard it talked about a million times, vintage Mizuno vs newer modern irons. What intrigues me is the Mp-20s partially reverting to what made the classic Mizuno's, i.e. MP-32 such a staple, while many people still play them - including myself. I know the MP-20s arent modeled off the 32's, more similarly to the 33s and obviously the TN87s. But I am curious for those of you who have already hit the MP-20s what are your thoughts on them vs. a classic like the MP 32/33? Thanks.

I'm currently playing 32s and ordered 20s (SEL 5-PW) that will be in Wednesday. I hit the mp20 demo 7 iron hundreds of times before ordering. I cannot say the 20s feel better than the 32s, but distance definitely goes to the 20s. Even though I'm getting the 20s in this week, not sure they will kick the 32s out just yet. I'm playing really good golf at the moment. My observations from just hitting the mp20 7 iron compared to mp32s.

Feel is the same

Distance advantage to mp20 (1/2-3/4 club longer)

Turf interaction advantage to mp32

Forgiveness slight advantage to mp20

I can give a more complete breakdown once I can hit all the irons and play a few rounds to compare.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @wis99ski said:

> Wow, this is excellent..

>

> I haven’t seen the lofts of the MP-20.

>

aev5k37t2dx8.png

The "NA" in the first row indicates it doesn't come in LH.

Personally speaking, don't care for the lofts, they'd have to be adjusted. So many clubs with 3* gaps annoys me.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @wis99ski said:

> > Wow, this is excellent..

> >

> > I haven’t seen the lofts of the MP-20.

> >

>

> aev5k37t2dx8.png

>

> The "NA" in the first row indicates it doesn't come in LH.

>

> Personally speaking, don't care for the lofts, they'd have to be adjusted. So many clubs with 3* gaps annoys me.

MP20 SEL are LH only with 4° gaps. The 5 iron is 26° and the 3 (18°) and 4 (22°) irons are HMB only and 5 iron to pw are mb's.

11wfk52gancr.png

• Like 1

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

• 2 weeks later...

> @wis99ski said:

> Any updates? Thank you.

I've had my MP-20 SEL (5-pw) set for close to 2 weeks now, great iron set. I've played 8 rounds with them, they are as advertised. Great feel, about as forgiving as you can get for a blade. I don't feel they're anymore forgiving than my MP-32 set however. I just got the 4 iron in HMB to finish the set.

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Actually preferred the mp 37, or 33's over the 32's in shape, and prefer the 14's and 29's over the 32's for feel.

The mp 20's offer a chance to make a better combo set, which can be a better option for todays player

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

This is somewhat off topic for the discussion.....

I played a ton of Mizzy irons when I was younger and always favored the MP37. A couple of years ago a nice used set was traded into my shop. I hit them indoors and was SHOCKED at how unforgiving they were. No doubt I was a better ball striker back in my younger days......but it was noticable. I'd say the newer Mizuno MBs should be large step up in forgiveness.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I've had every blade Mizuno has released since the MP 33's. I wore out 3 sets of the 33's I always preferred this look over the 32's. but the 32's flat out performed very well

I think the MP 20 is the best they have made since the 33 and 32's. Looks, feel and performance. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

> @lefty1978 said:

> I'm currently playing 32s and ordered 20s (SEL 5-PW) that will be in Wednesday. I hit the mp20 demo 7 iron hundreds of times before ordering. I cannot say the 20s feel better than the 32s, but distance definitely goes to the 20s. Even though I'm getting the 20s in this week, not sure they will kick the 32s out just yet. I'm playing really good golf at the moment. My observations from just hitting the mp20 7 iron compared to mp32s.

>

> Feel is the same

> Distance advantage to mp20 (1/2-3/4 club longer)

> Turf interaction advantage to mp32

> Forgiveness slight advantage to mp20

>

> I can give a more complete breakdown once I can hit all the irons and play a few rounds to compare.

MP-20 7i = 34°

MP-32 7i = 35°

If you've had your 32 lofts set to spec it makes sense that the 20 would go just a tad further.

Full disclosure ... I play MP-32's

> @maamold said:

> > @lefty1978 said:

> > I'm currently playing 32s and ordered 20s (SEL 5-PW) that will be in Wednesday. I hit the mp20 demo 7 iron hundreds of times before ordering. I cannot say the 20s feel better than the 32s, but distance definitely goes to the 20s. Even though I'm getting the 20s in this week, not sure they will kick the 32s out just yet. I'm playing really good golf at the moment. My observations from just hitting the mp20 7 iron compared to mp32s.

> >

> > Feel is the same

> > Distance advantage to mp20 (1/2-3/4 club longer)

> > Turf interaction advantage to mp32

> > Forgiveness slight advantage to mp20

> >

> > I can give a more complete breakdown once I can hit all the irons and play a few rounds to compare.

>

> MP-20 7i = 34°

> MP-32 7i = 35°

>

> If you've had your 32 lofts set to spec it makes sense that the 20 would go just a tad further.

>

> Full disclosure ... I play MP-32's

Absolutely correct, but the 20s are still a bit longer even with that considered. 1° difference should be 1/4 club or 2-3 yards, my MP-20s are 5-8 yards longer. That could be the slighter lighter dg 120 s300 vs the dg s300, but I believe the 20s spin a bit less compared to the 32s. Not much and not anything that should make any difference once you dial in the distances. I personally don't chase distance with my irons, if I did I wouldn't be playing Mizuno MP irons.

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

> @lefty1978 said:

> Absolutely correct, but the 20s are still a bit longer even with that considered. 1° difference should be 1/4 club or 2-3 yards, my MP-20s are 5-8 yards longer. That could be the slighter lighter dg 120 s300 vs the dg s300, but I believe the 20s spin a bit less compared to the 32s. Not much and not anything that should make any difference once you dial in the distances. I personally don't chase distance with my irons, if I did I wouldn't be playing Mizuno MP irons.

Agreed. They probably cut down spin knowing that they might get a yard or two higher flight with modern or lighter shafts, that decent angle nullifies the less spin that the iron has. I plan to go to my local fitter and work out which shaft suits me and the irons best - swapping the DG300's out in my 32's for KBS Tour 120's or C-Taper 120's or Modus 120's...etc.

That said shiny new 20's ....drool.

Great responses all. I appreciate the comparison feedback. I am very happy which way Mizuno is going with the MP-20. They just get it in regards to what people all around are looking for being a large manufacturer. I am not sure how long it will take the 20s to replace my 32s as I have a few backup sets but it’s comforting to see there is a modern replacement waiting at some point.

> @b2bbirdies said:

> I wonder if the MP-32 and 33s have confirming grooves. Probably but Mizuno probably never bothered to submit them right?

It's been mentioned here (WRX) on occasion, all Mizuno MP models have grooves that conform to the new groove rules. This from Mizuno, IIRC

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

As I opined previously, for the better player, the modern blade designs are more forgiving and higher launching in the long-mid irons, IMO the Mp20s are better than my previous MP69s (looks, feel, flight with the same shaft), I rate the MP20 highly, they create the illusion of more mass behind the ball, similar to the player irons (such as the Callaway Apex Pro 19s). However, the MP20 will deliver the shot making prowess that great ball strikers seek and cannot replicate with cavity back irons.

Due to the technological changes I would recommend a shaft fitting and lie angle check as the MP20 blades are different compared to the MP18.

Golf Magazine writers who describe blades as immune from technological changes are generally weekend golfers who cannot hit their own shadow, some of use hit the dead centre of the face 70% of the time.

I wish the golf magazines would recognised the need for an elite player award for the blade category. But, I have no doubt something like the Apex 19 will be awarded iron of the year award as it suits the masses.

However, for those players who demand the best short making irons, the MP20 are highly recommended.

> @b2bbirdies said:

> I wonder if the MP-32 and 33s have confirming grooves. Probably but Mizuno probably never bothered to submit them right?

You can check the database. All MP irons meet the 2010 groove rule.

n1wluno7a1df.jpg

p05uz6qvgiyu.jpg

• Like 1

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Just ordered 5-PW HMB and then could not miss out on the blades, so ordered the 8-PW MP 20s. Can’t wait!

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-9 CP-03 P-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

Titleist Pro-V1x

I know nobody has mentioned these, but after years of playing Titleist AP2 series irons (I’ve had them all), I had been an initial recipient of the new T100’s. Prior to the AP2’s, I was a loyal Mizuno guy, my favorite being the MP-14’s.

Being disappointed with the feel and the reduced forgiveness in these, yesterday I took advantage of the 90 day guarantee and made the move back to Mizuno and the MP20 MMC’s.

Best first round with a set of irons ever! I had forgotten how great it feels to play a Mizuno forged iron!

I’ll be 64 years old in two weeks, and can’t play a blade anymore. But it sure felt like I was playing a set today!

Don’t overlook these clubs! They are incredible!

• Like 2

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

What is the 90 day guarantee?

> @texcrom said:

> I know nobody has mentioned these, but after years of playing Titleist AP2 series irons (I’ve had them all), I had been an initial recipient of the new T100’s. Prior to the AP2’s, I was a loyal Mizuno guy, my favorite being the MP-14’s.

>

> Being disappointed with the feel and the reduced forgiveness in these, yesterday I took advantage of the 90 day guarantee and made the move back to Mizuno and the MP20 MMC’s.

>

> Best first round with a set of irons ever! I had forgotten how great it feels to play a Mizuno forged iron!

>

> I’ll be 64 years old in two weeks, and can’t play a blade anymore. But it sure felt like I was playing a set today!

>

> Don’t overlook these clubs! They are incredible!

>

>

> @wis99ski said:

> > @eastriver said:

> > I played 32s for a month while I waited for my HMBs to show up. I know this is obvious, but they're different animals. I'm psyched to own both.

>

> Same shaft and set up in both?

>

No. The 32's have stock (I assume) DG S300s, which are a bit heavy for me (stiff and 120-130g). I had a great time playing with them, though. I think it helped my concentration and focus because of the increased precision required. Solid strikes have this incredibly satisfying 'crack'. Carrying and playing the 32s feels great and I got so much enjoyment out of it. I'd like to swap out the DGs for some Modus 105s in R flex, which would probably fit me better. I'm hoping they'll still have that great steel shaft response while being a more manageable weight and flex for me.

The MP-20 HMBs have Recoil 95s in R flex, so again, totally different beast. I don't know if it's the shock-absorbent qualities of the Recoils, or if I'm not hitting down and compressing the ball as much, but the HMBs are much softer on sweet-spot hits. Softer and hotter, for sure. It's a relatively quiet 'knock' and the ball just takes off and goes higher and longer than I've ever hit before, with similar or weaker lofts even.

Loft, lie, and shaft length on the HMBs is standard, but I got the 32's used and have no idea. If/when I get them reshafted I'll have them checked and bent back to standard numbers.

I'm sure the OP was looking for comparisons with the MP20 MBs, and not the HMBs, but I've been reading along and wanted to chime in. Happy to talk more about them, too, if there's interest.

I'm going to look around for a thread on Recoils or start a new one. I'd really like to hear other peoples opinions on them.

> @tets said:

> What is the 90 day guarantee?

>

> > @texcrom said:

> > I know nobody has mentioned these, but after years of playing Titleist AP2 series irons (I’ve had them all), I had been an initial recipient of the new T100’s. Prior to the AP2’s, I was a loyal Mizuno guy, my favorite being the MP-14’s.

> >

> > Being disappointed with the feel and the reduced forgiveness in these, yesterday I took advantage of the 90 day guarantee and made the move back to Mizuno and the MP20 MMC’s.

> >

> > Best first round with a set of irons ever! I had forgotten how great it feels to play a Mizuno forged iron!

> >

> > I’ll be 64 years old in two weeks, and can’t play a blade anymore. But it sure felt like I was playing a set today!

> >

> > Don’t overlook these clubs! They are incredible!

> >

> >

>

>

A few golf retailers offer a “90 Day Playabilty Guarantee” where if you are unhappy with a set of clubs, you can return and get full credit toward a different set. Edwin Watts offers this, as do a couple of others.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

I have to take the MP20s out for a demo on the course. I do t want to get the thread off topic but I hit my MO20 7i off the tee and miss hit it low and off the groves on the toe and maybe lost 5-10 yards. It was the loud crack you get with a miss hit but it surprisingly reminded me how great these clubs really are. The only iron if the 32s I have subbed out is the 4i which I used a JPX850 forged, which goes a mile.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Buckets2 said:

> Bump for input. Seeing a few comments elsewhere that the new MP20 MB may not play as soft as some of the "older" generations.

>

> Thoughts on that?

I haven't seen that about the MP-20 MB's. They are as soft as a pillow as long as you hit the sweet spot. If someone finds the MP-20s are not soft or harsh, they probably shouldn't be playing them anyway.

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind