Tell me about your magic 3 wood

Valtiel

I had been searching for a couple years after breaking my 2016 m2 15° and I tried about everything. Landed on a gen 1 pxg and couldn’t be happier. They can be had a a reasonable price finally. If you’re anything like me you’re embarrassed to be “one of the troops”, but they flat out perform. Not the longest 3 wood I’ve hit but if you’re looking for great feel and incredible consistency, as I assume you are, give it a try.

Hah fair point!

tenor.gif?itemid=12907121The 915FD has been the performer for me but I want to try the F as well just to see. Really really solid fairways. That is exactly the flight I need to be dialed in with a 3w, hang on to that on!Its cool to see the Titleist mentions in here, i've always gravitated towards their fairways. I played the 906F2 for ages and have the old head laying around that I need to shaft up still. Mins is set very similarly, although not flat. D1 setting which is -.75*.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

My 917f3 has been both reliable off the tee and the deck. First one. TS3 Head was too big.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

When the TM aeroburners were the New New I picked up the tour issue versions of the driver and (strong) 3wd (14°, actual loft @ 14.5°)

driver didn’t last long but man the 3wd - it’s still in the bag! Paired with an Aldila RIP alpha 80s. It’s an absolute beast.

like many I knew it was special and spent a long time finding another (backup) TI aeroburner “yardbirds” 3wd.

a couple years ago I built out the backup because the OG was looking beat and it performed just as brilliantly.

lent my back upset to a buddy that contained the OG AB and he promptly stole the 3wd as it was money for him too!

love pulling out that all white head and people are like HOW OLD IS THAT THING??

2012 14.5deg Adams Speedline Super XTD 3 wood. First time I hit it, I declared this club must be illegal. I was launching shots 15-20 yards further than my existing 3 wood and dropping them all in a barrel. I've hit so many great shots with this club from both the fairway and tee it has become impossible for me to find a new 3 wood that I will ever like as much. It's achilles heel is the tungsten toe weight in bottom of the club can suddenly come loose and fly off to neverland. I believe this is the reason Adams stopped making the club so quickly - they got a lot of them sent back for replacement. I've lost the weight on a bunch of them over the years but I love this club so much I went out and stocked up on backups in the event my current one breaks down.

Absolutely love my Callaway Rogue SZ 3+ (13.5*) w/ stiff Proforce V2 75. Bought it at the beginning of the season from CPO when I was struggling with driver - the original EvenFlow blue shaft snapped when flying with it but was able to quickly replace with the Proforce and noticed increased consistency. Use it off the tee for any narrow fairways, naturally has a nice little cut. Same results off the deck.

My Exotics CB2 3+ (13.2*) is over 12 years old and has been re-shafted 3 times. It's been temporarily replaced a time or two over the years but I always come back to it. There are scores of others that are easier to hit but as long as I can find the center, either teed or grounded, I'm gonna keep bagging it. Nothing has performed as consistently long for me.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I'm still using my Cleveland Launcher titanium at 15 degrees. I've had it for what feels like at least 12 years (can't remember when they came out) and will never get rid of it. When my father passed I kept his to have a backup just in case. Don't know what it is about that club, but I hit it every bit as far as my driver (sometimes farther) and 90% of the time straight as can be. The only time I've ever broken 80 my buddy locked my driver in the trunk of his car and I teed off with it all day. I don't know why I can't talk myself into doing that every round!

That's interesting as I ended the season with a Wilson DF6, also with a made-for Proforce V2 regular shaft in 75g (which they don't seem to have ever made for nd the stated torque is 3.4*). I don't know how the paint on the real Proforce V2s wear over time but this one has a really noticeable "spine" at 6 o'clock (if you were setting up to the ball). Though it's a reg flex it stands up to my swing better than a majority of stock "stiff" shafts I've tried.

Much more consistent and confident hitting 3W now but it's not quite "magic" yet. I bought a real Proforce V2 75 in stiff flex to put in a newer head, hoping to pick up 5-10 yards with a little improvement on dispersion.

Another vote for 915 Fd. I play mine with a Rogue Black. Looks great, feels great, and launches perfect for me. I can keep it under the wind if needed, and hit a high launcher when going for the green in 2 on a long par 5. Cuts, draws....it does everything you ask of it. And a bomber off the tee

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

I actually just picked up a Rogue Black to test with my 915FD, trying to narrow down my favorite shafts for this head.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

Early 2000's Cobra SZ. I bagged it all the way until 2018 and I've gone through four 3 woods in the last two years trying to find its permanent replacement.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Macgregor NVG three wood. It was 16 degrees. Had a titanium cup face and was perfect. I played it from the time it was released till about 2 years ago when the face cracked. I have not had a good three wood since.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I hope you have success with it! It definitely works for me. It’s so stable for me, and has great feel.

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

Huh, interesting! Never seen these before but look like they were ahead of their time. It looks like they present with an actual onset with the placement of the hosel. Any more you can say about those? Looks like a fun and cheap experiment via eBay. Thanks! I have adored the Rogue Black 110 as a hybrid shaft, they are just so dang hard to find. The purpose of the 915FD is to be a strong right to left alternative type of club so I need something that won't cut too much spin. Ironically I have an Aldila Rogue Silver 125 80TX in it right now that is tipped 1.5" which on paper sounds like an absolute tank of a club, but it actually feels and works really well! I'll be putting the incoming Rogue Black 110 up against that Silver, another Silver that has been tipped less, a Kuro Kage DC, and likely a Tensei Pro Blue, all in 80TX. Should be fun testing!

Bridgestone 

It was way ahead of its time. I think it has a composite top as well but dont hold me to it. It was maybe one of the last great products before mac went under. The head definitely had some onset to it and was very very easy to hit. I look at them all the time on ebay, I just have not pulled the trigger. Mainly because they are old, and I keep thinking something new will be better.

One more thing. The NVG is better than the NVG2.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I had a Ping G30 with a stiff stock Ping shaft in it. For some reason, I decided to sell it to a friend. In the words of Passenger:

Only know you love her when you let her go...

And you let her go

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S - Ventus Black 7X

Cobra F9 - Ventus Black 8X

Ping Rapture Driving Iron - Ventus Black 9TX

Srixon ZU85 (4) - Tour AD 105X

Srixon ZX7 - (5-AW) - LAGP L Series Stiff

Callaway 2019 PM Grind (54&58) - LAGP L Series WV

Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2010 - LAGP 135

Honestly everyone is making a great 3wd these days the problem with basically all of them is there's no loft on them. When I spec all of them for customers they're basically giving you -1 to -2 degrees of the loft that is stated on the clubhead. It would be a good idea to find a clubmaker who actually uses a golf gauge that way you know what your actually hitting. My gamer is a Titlesit TS2 15* I have it set at B4/C4 which if you go by their specs would put it at 16.5 deg, But I actually do spec my clubs and it actually is playing at 14.5* at that setting.

Really? Is there any particular manufacturer that does that or is it a common trend? I would think it would be the other way around given the average Joe's difficulty in hitting a 3-wood. A lot of the tour issued 3 woods from guys like Callaway that are stamped seem to be at loft or higher usually.

Bridgestone 

I have to say quiet a bit. I actually had a tour issue M6 come in the other day from a mini tour player and his 15* was 12.5 deg. Yes there are some that error higher. But it would be in everyone's best interest to have their heads spec'd out that way you know what is actually have that might be causing the club perform good or bad.