HH vs Myrtle Beach golf trip

Bamabowtie

I'm looking for a resource to compare these two locations. We've got a foursome wanting to plan a Summer trip to SC for a 4 day golf trip. Without much research we had pretty much all agreed on HH for our destination but as I started looking at greens fees for some of the courses our guys want to play I quickly realized that it may be a stretch for some of our group.

I have started doing some digging into MB and the greens fees across the board seem much more reasonable even for the higher tiered courses. Are there any go to spots for planning advice for golf trips to either of these destinations? I'm looking to see if there are maybe some package deals in HH that could bring the trip back into the budget.

Is the golf significantly better in Hilton Head than Myrtle Beach?

In my opinion HH courses are no better than Myrtle Beach.

The Myrtle Beach courses are much more spread out, however.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

In my opinion, Myrtle doesn't have an absolute gem like Harbour Town, but on balance Myrtle has a much wider selection of upper middle class courses at very reasonable rates. I really enjoy vacationing on Hilton Head for lots of reasons, but other than Harbour Town there are no public courses that I would choose over Caledonia or True Blue or the Barefoot courses or a number of others in Myrtle for the quality of golf.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Through my brief research that I have been able to do what you are saying backs up what I am starting to realize. Our group really wants to play Harbour Town and also drive to Kiawah one day for the Ocean Course but not a single one in the group has any idea how expensive those greens fees are. Any resource you recommend on planning a MB gold trip? I am starting from square one.

It's awesome to play Harbour Town and of course the Ocean Course but price is going to be heavily favored going with Myrtle. I've done numerous golf trips to MB, sometime we piece together new courses we want and stay in a condo in the Cherry Grove area (when we want to go up to play some courses closer to the NC line) or sometimes more centrally located hotels. Barefoot offers some good stay and play packages that include breakfast as well.

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

Myrtle Beach will give you a much better trip golfwise, both from a affordability and selection. HHI has harbour town and a few other solid courses, but you're going to pay double for those. Caledonia is arguably MBs best, it doesn't have Harbour towns ranking, but it is excellent and a must play in it's own right. Was in MB in November and played at the Legends Resort, had a great deal going..57$ for a round with Buffett breakfast, lunch off a menu (sandwiches or burger) and 2 drink tickets for beer from tap or fountain pop all included. And their golf is excellent (Heritage, Moorland, Heartland and Parkland). Heritage and Moorland are both top ten in SC public courses. And Heartland is a Dial course that's quite good. Also, both Dunes courses are excellent as are all of the Barefoot courses. HH is easier to get to the courses but they have so much less to choose from.

myrtlebeachgolf.com has the best rates. I wouldn't stay in downtown Myrtle because it's a little sketchy and tourist-trappy, but outside of that everywhere is nice.

Don't get me wrong, HHI is beautiful, I lived there for 9 months. But golf trip wise, it doesn't stack up to Myrtle.

It's been a few years, but my last trip I booked through Barefoot and they handled all the reservations even off site. We stayed in a condo on site, breakfast every morning in the clubhouse, and the only driving we ever really had to do was to dinner at night and our trip down to Caledonia and True Blue.

Yep Sheriff you nailed it--- I live here and totally agree

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I believe Ocean course is at $495 right now. Not sure if you still have to be staying in resort or not. I believe they do have package deals at Kiawah for stay and play where you get 2 nights 3 rounds, and you can play cean course twice if you want. I think it is like 500 a night per person. There is a couple of Kiawah threads on this site that talk about it.

I think Harbor Town is 300 to 400. They also run some stay and play specials. I think they have one now thru Feb that is 400 a night for 2 people including round on Harbor Town..

I haven't priced it in a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 4 nights in Myrtle and 4 rounds on great golf courses with breakfast every day for $500 per person.

There is a great MB forum at MyrtleBeachGolfTalk.com The owner of that, Brian, is a great packager. Even you have your own rooms,

he can book the golf. BF Yacht club is a good room location, to reach a lot of good courses. MB is spread out, so pay attention to

course locations. From Barefoot, you can play the BF courses, Grande Dunes, Kings North, The Dunes, Tidewater without long drives and one long drive to Caledonia. MB golf rates are low in the summer. Room rates can be high if you stay on the beach. That BF Yacht is off the beach, so not much higher in the summer.

I don't know HH, but I hear the same things that others have posted about HH. With limited courses they can keep rate high in the summer.

MB peak season are in the spring and fall. In the summer, ask about green aeration, when planning.

• Like 1

I would listen to Art, he is super knowledgeable on MB. I belong to the site he is talking about and there is tons of information there about MB. I also use Brian for all my golf needs, he is the best.

I think for your party of four MB is way to go, spend less and get lots of night life along with great golf.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Thank you to all that have responded. Here is my first draft itinerary - would love to get some feedback on course selection/feasibility.

Day 1: Travel + Afternoon round at TPC (or would you recommend - Heritage, Pawley's or one of the other southern courses more?)Day 2: True Blue in the AM + Caledonia in the PMDay 3: The Dunes Club in the AM + Dye/Love @ Barefoot in the PM (or would you just do a full day at Barefoot?)Day 4: most likely a travel day, potential for an early am round depending on how the group feels

That itinerary is going to involve some travel as it's probably an hour+ drive between True Blue/Barefoot.

If you are going to include some of the better courses in MB driving around is part of the deal though.

I would choose Heritage over TPC, although it is way down south. Not a fan of Pawleys.

Could play 36 at Barefoot. I like the Fazio Course as well.

If you are flying in and want to play close to the airport on your first/last day might try Arrowhead. 3 nines are tight but fun to play. Grande Dunes Resort Course is also very nice and pretty close to the airport.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I think the TPC is a must play. In fact it is best track except maybe for Dunes on the entire Grand Strand.

Also, I think it would be perfect for your arrival day, as the practice area is world class and unlimited balls are free with your round. Tough course but no tricks. Awesome greens and really not a bad hole out there. NCAA regionals were here last spring and this course is the gem of the Founders group courses.

Thank you for that link. My group does a Myrtle trip every year.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Question. What techniques are used to take such high quality and number of photos and not impact play? I try to snap photos using my iPhone but those photos are fantastic

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My top three are definitely True Blue, Caledonia and The Dunes Club, I've played each a half dozen times. After those three there are about 6-10 that are really good but not in the same category as those three. e.g. The three Barefoot courses, Glen Dornoch, Grande Dunes, Tidewater and TPC. There are a few in this next group that are real good value, including Rivers Edge, Legends Heathland, Legends Moorland, Oyster Bay and Heritage.

Phones are not conducive to getting good photos on a golf course. You need one with an eye piece and a good sensor that can get good pix in all types of light. I use a Lumix DMC ZS 100. It has a good lens and a good sensor and fits in my pocket. In order to not impact play you need to take photos while your playing partners are hitting or getting ready to hit. I'm a very fast player and get to my ball fast while others are still getting to theirs. I take a lot of them while walking to my ball so the angles I get depend on where I'm hitting it that day. One of the keys to good photos is how you frame them. If you play from the back tees, the photos will not be good if all you are seeing is five sets of teeing areas. You need a decent zoom or take photos from a more forward tee. There's a paradox in that the smaller the camera (e.g. to fit in your pocket)) the less zoom the camera can have. It's worth a trade off to get a better sensor and smaller size with less zoom capability (IMO) for golf course photos. If I was taking them while not actually playing a round, I'd use a better/larger camera.

If you have never been to MB, you can't play all the best courses in 5-6 rounds, but you can play all top 10ish on your trip.

You said a summer trip, so make sure to ask about green aeration, which might make you pick alternates.

Heritage is as good as TPC, but for a first round TPC has a better range that is convenient to the first tee. At Heritage you have to shuttle from parking lot to bag drop to range and

back to clubhouse, so it's annoying on a first day when you probably want to warmup.

If you are booking 36 at True Blue + Caledonia, TB is good to play first, since it has a range. Cal does not have a range, but you can stop at TB on the way. If hoping for a replay rate on the PM round, play the more popular Caledonia in the AM, since TB is not a busy. Replay rates are about half price +$10 at courses from the same owner/management.

If you play 36 at Barefoot, you can book one course and get a replay rate on the 2nd round. Play Fazio AM, since it single tees (no return after 9), then Love in the PM. This would be

cheaper than The Dunes plus a BF.

The Dunes is great. You can play there in the AM, then drive 15 minutes to Barefoot, or 10 minutes to Grande Dunes.

You don't have to move your room every night. That is a pain. Stay central and have One 45-60 minute drive to Cal/TB.

You have a great lineup. If you want or need to switch any, consider, MBN Kings North, Grande Dunes or Tidewater.

I’ve booked my golf packages with golfzoo.com. Good way to get pricing and you will also have condo/townhouse accommodations if you choose which is much more comfortable than a couple of hotel rooms.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Dunes member here, and I think what am I am saying is still true... I believe the greens fee for the Dunes Club is an all day fee for unaccompanied play, making replay rounds cart fee only. I know this is the case for accompanied play. You can easily check with the pro shop. Might make the greens fee more palatable for your group. Imo the Dunes will be the best course you can play on the trip.

For other courses, everyone here is spot on. South end Caledonia and True Blue are the best options. If you end up on the north end, big cat courses in sunset Beach are great and affordable. Central area has the Dunes, Grande Dunes resort course, and Barefoot resort.

Don't be put off by the need to drive. You only have 4, so only 1 car is needed, and none of the drives are that long as long as you stay and play in the same region.