Mavrik Triple Diamond

Lol, I will put it in play even if I have to just swing with my arms. I paid a bunch to be in this tournament and cannot skip it. Got on a prednisone taper which usually helps. Crossing my fingers that I feel like a new man in two days.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I hope you get better quick.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I do wonder if the lockdown caused some of this. I used to go to the gym 3-5 times a week. Even when we reopened the gyms stayed shut and now they have such weird rules. My body doesn’t feel nearly as well as pre lockdown.

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Same here. I tried to keep up with some at home stuff. But, I am not dedicated or focused enough to keep up with it at home. Miss going to the gym. They opened again. But, they're so damn busy all the time that the only thing I can really do consistently is use the treadmill.

On a more related note to the thread. My weight config was 5 gram in the front and 14 in the rear. I ordered an inch under standard hoping for some heavier weights. So, it looks like they added 3 grams to account for it. I haven't measured it yet to make sure it's 44.5". It didn't look that short. Could be 45". Will measure when I get home tonight.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

This thing looks soooo good. Love that the shape is closer to the standard than the regular sz.

20200708-173657.jpg

20200708-173759.jpg

20200708-173700.jpg

20200708-173801.jpg

20200708-173710.jpg

20200708-173807.jpg

20200708-173715.jpg

20200708-173734.jpg

• Like 2

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Soooo, the triple diamond is pretty legit. I played through the back pain today. Didn't score well. But, the driver held up pretty good. I feel like it launches and peaks a touch flatter than the Mav standard. Appears, visually at least, to spin less. I had to restrict my turn through the ball to limit the pressure on my back. But, I swear I was still 10-15 yards further than normal. That doesn't surprise me seeing that the flight is lower and the ball is likely running out more.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's fade bias. It's a lot less draw biased than the standard. And visually, the flatter lot angle and straighter face really help instill a bit of confidence.

I'll have to hit them side by side. But, I think the triple d is a little more solid feeling. A little more sense when you hit the ball if that makes sense.

Anyways, I think it shows a lot of promise. Where with the standard, I felt like I had to over exaggerate to get the ball to fade, the triple d really responds without any major changes. You can turn the ball over with it with little effort. I would say that it's pretty neutral. Even the face doesn't look like it sits way open.

It's in the bag for the tournament this weekend. So, hoping it continues to impress over the next few days.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Mine just arrived at the local post office today. Should get it tomorrow. Knee is getting better so I’m hoping maybe in a week or 2 that I’ll be able to swing it.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Nice. Post the results if you can.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Will try my best but if I can only swing 60/70 % then it wont be a fair review and will have to wait until I'm back to my normal swing characteristics. I just want to go get a general feel (because I just cant wait any longer) for the head and not make any hard determinations until I can give it a real go and fair shake.

Not sure if this is helping at all but I wanted to give you some comparison pics.

well I don’t have the numbers to back it up from a launch monitor yet here is what I’ve experienced. Please note I’ve been a taylormade guy for the last four years (m1 2016 thru m5)so this was a full changeover for me

shafts tested:

ck pro blue 60tx

fuji EVO vi 661x

Mav sub zero was long, won head to head w SIM. So I bought one. Done pre COVID so I was using track man dataMav sub zero was Slightly left biased I thought. EFSZTD unseated MSZ due to spin and flight control/left side elimination So I kept it in play over MSZ. I also loved the head shape in comparison. Used EFSZTD while I waited for MSZTD to come in. MSZTD is very similar both in looks and feel to MSZ. MSZTD sound and feel very pleasing over EFSZTD however I can’t tell when I Really pop one Like I could w EFSZTD. Length seems comparable between both TD heads. MSZTD is definitely more forgiving and left biased gone from MSZ. NET: I’m selling my MSZ

EFSZTD and MSZTD will continue to go head to head until I get on extended launch monitor work. Too similar but I do want the softer characteristics of the MSZTD to win out. Maybe a couple new shaft trials can optimize me in the latest also.

4621483a-cb6c-4001-8a77-4d02ee2f8914.jpeg

0061d777-644a-4af3-b9b7-bd47bfd63af3.jpeg

• Like 1

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 10.5 (N-1 9.5) w Speeder 661 vi

Callaway AI SMOKE Max 15 (N+1) w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 18 w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE Hybrids 4, 5 w Ventus Blue 8x/9x (in the build shop)
PXG GEN 5 0311T 6-W KBS Tour 120 Black

Titleist Wedgeworks Raw 50.08M (50.5), 56.08M (57), PXG SDII Raw 60.07 Wide (61) 
LAB Link.1 34.5/72 H

Mine just showed this morning. Really excited to give it a try. Was really surprised at the shape and look of it, don’t know if it’s the 455 Head or what? That was what drew me to the MSZ but could not hit it but was only a few swings last winter on sim.

Mine came with 2-14 gram weights. Will try to get it out for some swings this weekend. Had been struggling with my EFSZ with lefts so excited to try definitely will be more toe space. Put a pic of my EFSZ animal style One thing I wondered was whether or not I should have received just a stock shaft with it at that price? Could of sworn I read that somewhere that someone did, wondering if I should ask JD?

75daf148-a990-4a03-9666-d9bb33de1578.jpeg

fa88253a-3c0a-4a64-b76b-6742ff8c3b15.jpeg

9c2c1e43-2339-482e-9908-90bf6f8977ac.jpeg

f4ffe36d-14c9-4a2d-9602-a2c39bca9c9e.jpeg

56f3fa42-0558-40ae-a3c7-3c77f855e5f5.jpeg

98b7e668-b8b2-40fb-aafd-19ca434dbec2.jpeg

e4adb881-f232-40b0-8515-061f92b88efe.jpeg

e182e69a-106c-4913-93be-4998fef76595.jpeg

f921e774-8e18-4a9b-9f20-dfbda0f0a304.jpeg

b525eea9-358a-4ddb-b4e8-813fa86ad7db.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah JD for the $500 is just the head. Which was ok with me as I didn’t need any upgraded shafts. Mine is out with the post office today so I should have it around 2 or 3pm.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

So I went out today and even with my bad knee I couldn’t help it. My son wanted to hit the range and I said I was going to just swing a few wedges and maybe putt on the putting green. Was helping him with his swing and decided to try the TDM. I swapped it out with the Ventus Black 6X as I thought the 7X might be too much. Only went half to 3/4 swing and speed. Sound is really nice and the feel was good. Went up a degree as I didn’t know with my swing if I could launch it. Standard with no draw setting and I was still able to put a baby draw on it. Knee didn’t hurt as I only took a couple of swings but boy I cannot wait until I’m ready to go. Also cannot wait to test this vs the reg Mavrik that I had Continental put hot melt forward to reduce spin and also painted all black. Come on knee let’s get a healing!

PXG Hybrid stand bag

So, I mustered up the strength to play through my back issues for my tournament this past weekend. I obviously wasn't hitting it side by side to my Mavrik standard head. But, the results were pretty impressive. Didn't hit any of them way left like I can do once or twice a round with the standard head. I also wouldn't say that this appears to be heavily fade biased. The lie angle is noticeably flatter than the standard. So, I did play it in the D setting as I was a little afraid of it being a fade machine. Not the case. My best drives were a thing of beauty. Push draws that would start over the tree lines and draw back to the right side of the fairway.

I believe it's spinning less. The peak seems to be flatter and I am carrying it further. I would say that I appear to be at least 10 yards longer with it in most cases. Sometimes longer. We had basically no wind Friday and Saturday which is almost unheard of here. On those calm days, I was hitting this as far as I was with a 10-15mph wind before.

It came with a 14 and 5 gram weight with the heavy in the back. I am going to play on Thursday and will be swapping the heavy weight forward to try and make this thing a sledge hammer. If that doesn't yield good results, I may get two 10 gram weights and roll with it that way. Should be a bit lower spinning than it is now and still be plenty workable.

I think it looks better than both the standard head and the regular SZ. Why they don't just make the Triple Diamond the default is beyond me. In theory, it should be more playable than the regular SZ since it will spin a bit more.

I do really like the standard Mavrik. But, I didn't see anything over the course of 3.5 rounds that would indicate that the triple diamond can't outperform it.

I say this every couple of years. But, I can see this one being in the bag for a few seasons. A long off season could change that, lol. But, I can't pin point anything I don't like about it. Looks great, feels great, sounds absolutely amazing, and performs.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Yeah I swapped the heavy 14 to the front and 2 gram to the back and went up that 1 degree. Still set at standard and it was just as flat or seemed a bit flatter than my 9 reg Mavrik. As you said seems to be more roll but it all depends on the course as this was just a driving range but I’m familiar with that range. Knee doesn’t hurt today at all so I might try a small bucket of irons today at lunch. Nothing longer than a 7i. Trying to take it slow.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

I played the OG Epic and the Rogue SZ with the heavy weight forward. Made for some looooong drives. I didn't hate the Epic Flash SZ. But, I did miss the front/back weight setup. I never really found the sliding weight does anything for me in terms of shot correction. I just placed it behind where I typically mishit the face. Just a little toe side.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I loved the Rogue and really didn’t get along with the original Epic. Still had the Epic SZ though ?. Yeah when you connected it on the button it was a bomber. That’s what I love about the Mavrik. Took the best of both those and made the head more forgiving and the sweet spot a little bigger. It’s just the misses are not as punished (heel or toe) and you still get some good distance. I remember those heel shots on the OG Epic were horrible. That was my miss back then. Fixed the swing so now it’s just usually higher or low on the face but I still get the occasional heel but not as frequent.

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

For sure. I think the Mavrik is an improvement over both of those heads. Best feeling driver I remember hitting too. I had good results with the Rogue SZ. I just didn't care for the shape of it compared to the Epic SZ. I learned my lesson from constantly updating. The Epic SZ was the last driver I absolutely loved. I think the Mavrik SZ TD is the king now and won't change so easily now.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS