Relocating to Chattanooga - private clubs?

imafishermn

I'm relocating to Chattanooga for a new job and I'm interested in joining a private club. I would appreciate if any fellow Chattanooga golfers would provide information on top choices in the area, including info on initiation and annual fees. I've done some Google research but would like some first-hand knowledge from the expert at Golfwrx! Also, is Honors Club by invitation only? Feel free to DM if you don't want to publish info.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

Honors is invitation only. I am in Atlanta, so I do not know about the rest of the private courses there.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Hey there and welcome to my hometown. 

The right club for you will depend on what part of town you live in, your age, price range and the kind of games you're looking for. 

Black Creek would be my first choice if it was anywhere close to convenient to you. Great course, facilities and staff and a broad range of members in terms of ages and abilities. It's relatively convenient to downtown and Lookout Mtn but it would be too far out of the way if you lived in say Ooltewah. Initiation around $10k. 

Council Fire is on the other side of town, in East Brainerd on the TN/GA line. It is also a great course, very well maintained. It's a strong club, lots of great players play there, and there are some big money games if you want that. I think the initiation is under $20 by a bit, not sure.

Chattanooga G&CC is the classic high-end country club. I think they're on a waiting list. $30ish initiation and stiff dues too, but they have a lot of amenities like a resort-style pool and fitness center. It's right across the river from downtown so very convenient if you can tote the note. 

Both Lookout Mountain and Signal Mountain have country club courses that are super convenient to residents of those communities but not super appealing to people who don't live nearby.

I'm on Signal and I get to play the course enough with friends and tournaments that I'm not really inclined to join. It's very affordable at about $6,500 initiation and $350/month or so for a golfing family membership. They have a small pool and a decent grill and restaurant. The course is so-so. There are probably 12 good holes and 6 that aren't up to the standard of the others. 

Lookout Mtn's course is longer and more challenging, but I don't know many people who belong there without living on Lookout Mtn. They have a co-membership with another social club there that has great food, a big pool and other amenities. If you join one you belong to both. 

McLemore is interesting but far too expensive for its location on the Georgia side of Lookout Mtn. 

You'll see advertisements for another "membership" that is a monthly fee to have unlimited access to 5-6 formerly private courses. Don't be tempted. Most of the courses weren't great before, and they aren't being maintained well at all. 

I think that's everything worth considering right in Chattanooga. The Farm is in Dalton and I know people in Chattanooga who have been granted "non-resident member" status. Dalton Country Club is undergoing a renovation right now. There's a club in Cleveland as well that I've never played. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

As far as The Honors Course goes, it is definitely invitation only. I've played several times as a guest and it is a great day of golf, but it is a major financial commitment that comes with a lot of caveats. 

It's the only course that closes for the winter. Though our turf grasses go dormant we have a lot of days over 50 degrees throughout the winter and people like to get out and play. The Honors closes around Halloween and reopens around Master's Week IIRC. 

The facilities are nice but not big. There's the course, the practice areas, the caddy barn, a clubhouse with great showers and excellent food, and some on-site accommodations. No pool, no meeting rooms, nothing. Just golf.  

The Honors is very serious about their caddy development and the general expectation is that you'll hire two caddies per foursome for every round. You may rent a cart if you want to ride and play without a caddy but they charge you the caddy fee anyway to discourage that. They really would like for all play to be walking with caddies. Peyton Manning uses a cart there but none of us are Peyton Manning. 

Finally there's the assessment rule. They strive to run at break-even every year, and I think most years they have, but the club rule is that any shortfall is borne pro-rata by the members at the end of the season. You have to be prepared to get an invoice for your share of the shortfall, and if you don't pay the bill your membership is terminated. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Thank you so much for the information - this helps a lot.  I think we are going to end up in Signal Mountain primarily for the schools.  I’m leaning towards Black Creek right now but also considering Chattanooga G&CC, of course if there is a wait list this may eliminate this option.  My realtor has already offered to get me on Honors so I’m looking forward to that once I get settled.  I’m also anxious to see Sweetens and Sewanee - both have almost a “cult” following.

Thank you again and maybe I’ll see you on the course soon!

Todd

• Like 1

the honors is all about golf, period.  they do close for the winter, the past couple of years they have closed the week before Christmas and usually open up the first week in march.  once again, the honors is about golf.  i believe the end of 2021 they are going to close around november and stay closed longer than normal.  they are going to be doing some things to the golf course, irrigation stuff.  they are building an awesome new guest house.  me05501 pretty much hit the nail on the head explaining the courses in chattanooga.  now i played black creek probably 5-6 years ago and thought it was fun but i'm sorry i can't get past a par 5 with a mound in the fairway and you have to aim at a bullseye in the trees cause you can't see the green.  But i liked the vibe and atmosphere there.  Chattanooga G&CC is nice.  there amenities are great.  the golf course is good.  council fire is a great golf course condition wise.  i really enjoy playing GOLF there but i have met some jerks there.  not my cup of tea.  now i have not been out there in a couple of years so that may have changed.

5 hours ago, imafishermn said:

Thank you so much for the information - this helps a lot.  I think we are going to end up in Signal Mountain primarily for the schools.  I’m leaning towards Black Creek right now but also considering Chattanooga G&CC, of course if there is a wait list this may eliminate this option.  My realtor has already offered to get me on Honors so I’m looking forward to that once I get settled.  I’m also anxious to see Sweetens and Sewanee - both have almost a “cult” following.

Thank you again and maybe I’ll see you on the course soon!

Todd

Cool. We have been on Signal Mountain since 2005 and it is a great community. 

I believe Chattanooga still has a reciprocal relationship with Signal. Worth checking into. 

I prefer the course at Black Creek and it would probably be a more friendly environment for someone new to town. Chattanooga G&CC can be a little chilly to outsiders IMO. 

I love to ride out to Sweeten's and Sewanee and have paired those 9's up to have an 18-hole day. I prefer Sewanee actually but both are fun and interesting. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Destroyer said:

the honors is all about golf, period.  they do close for the winter, the past couple of years they have closed the week before Christmas and usually open up the first week in march.  once again, the honors is about golf.  i believe the end of 2021 they are going to close around november and stay closed longer than normal.  they are going to be doing some things to the golf course, irrigation stuff.  they are building an awesome new guest house.  me05501 pretty much hit the nail on the head explaining the courses in chattanooga.  now i played black creek probably 5-6 years ago and thought it was fun but i'm sorry i can't get past a par 5 with a mound in the fairway and you have to aim at a bullseye in the trees cause you can't see the green.  But i liked the vibe and atmosphere there.  Chattanooga G&CC is nice.  there amenities are great.  the golf course is good.  council fire is a great golf course condition wise.  i really enjoy playing GOLF there but i have met some jerks there.  not my cup of tea.  now i have not been out there in a couple of years so that may have changed.

I can't disagree with your comments, especially about the membership profile at Council Fire. There are all kinds of people there, but the ones who dominate the lowballs, member/guests, etc. are not my type. I'd actually say the same about Signal's membership. Mostly great people but the jerks seem to assert themselves into leadership roles and set a tone I don't enjoy all that much. 

Almost every element of Black Creek's design was heavily influenced by very traditional Scottish courses, even the ones many people would say "aren't right." Some of those influences have softened over 20 years of maintenance but it has evolved into a very challenging and playable layout IMO. 

When it first opened a bunch of the bunkers had 90* corners. They also had these furrowing rakes in the greenside bunkers that left them with ridges of sand running parallel with the edge of the green. There was a pronounced spine up the middle of #16 green. I think the members wanted the furrowing rakes gone after a season or two and I assume that regular mowing has made all those other features more subtle. 

The blind shot into #6 green is itself a traditional feature. The aiming target is the only part that is objectionable to me. Not sure if that was put in by the designer or as a concession to members who couldn't get their heads around a blind approach. Some love, some hate. It's definitely memorable and most people can score anywhere from 3 to 9 on it which makes it a great match play hole IMO. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

well i probably came off to harsh on my comments as i was kind of laughing while typing.  i would not hesitate to join black creek, just that one hole make me roll my eyes.  i know council fire has had some change over in the staff.  i will go ahead and say it, Hunt was an ok guy.  richard is pretty good but Thad (spelling?)  was a jerk, did not like him, no one did.  i understand he is gone which is good.  i can tell you that the honors staff is first class.  Henrick(head pro) can not be beat, he is awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the notable thing about The Honors is how everyone there seems to want to make you feel comfortable and relaxed. There’s nothing stuffy about it. They’re serious about their rules, but they’re always very respectful to their guests. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Councilfire is the cheapest to join at $3500 initiation. Also the best maintained greens out of all the courses in the city. Black creek is a tribute to Raynor so you see lots of template holes including a huge Biarritz, Redan, short, eden and an awesome punchbowl. Councilfire also has a ton of new members and a new GM who is great. Honors also requires caddies for all round regardless of walking or cart and they’re closing for a more extended period next year as Gil Hanse is coming in to help with a renovation. But normally they close earlier December and open early March. Lookout is a Raynor design, it was the last course he worked on before he died. It’s spectacular architecturally but conditioning Isn’t always perfect. Chattanooga is good but I wouldn’t join unless you had family that really wants that country club lifestyle with all the amenities.  You do end up paying for a whole lot more than the golf course. Signal is quirky but fun, membership is good and there’s always Opportunities for gambling, like Councilfire. 

• Like 1

Honors is, without question, my favorite Pete Dye track.  And it’s in my top 10 of courses I’ve ever played. The course design is simply incredible.  The amenities are definitely understated, but quality and friendly.  Love that place.  I just wish I’d gotten to play it before the spring tornado took out all the trees, just so I could compare before/after.  

Also, play Sweetens Cove. 

• Like 1

Happy to be invited to the Honors for a Thursday round this week. Hoping for good weather. Excited to hear that Gil Hanse is coming in there. I love his work at Sewanee. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Again, thank you to everyone that has provided information on the Chattanooga golf scene. As I said before, I’m leaning towards Black Creek right now unless my family wants CGCC amenities, which I doubt. I’m fortunate that I’ve already made some connections that will get me on the Honors once we get moved.

One question i didn’t ask earlier - any of these courses have “regular” games that are walkers or push/pull carts? I know the caddy program at the Honors, but what about the others? I’m not sure if any of these courses are suited for walking due to layout and/or terrain.

Thanks again -

Todd

• Like 1

the honors have been taking trees out for a few years now,  i think the number i heard was 900 so far.  you just wouldn't know it cause there is so many trees there.  the spring tornado did change the look on 13, 12, 11, and mainly 9 and 10.  the only problem with the tornado, it did not take out the tree left of 6 green! lol

i will always say that council fire is always in great shape.  there greens are good.  i would probably say better than chattanooga golf and country club but you are splitting hairs.  now you chattanooga guys can laugh at me all you want but i played creeks bend 2 years ago and i can honestly say that day the greens were as good as any green i have played on.  about a month ago a top 20 pga tour player's caddy was playing at the honors and made the comment that these are some of the best greens he has seen.  chattanooga has some damn good courses.

18 hours ago, imafishermn said:

Again, thank you to everyone that has provided information on the Chattanooga golf scene. As I said before, I’m leaning towards Black Creek right now unless my family wants CGCC amenities, which I doubt. I’m fortunate that I’ve already made some connections that will get me on the Honors once we get moved.

One question i didn’t ask earlier - any of these courses have “regular” games that are walkers or push/pull carts? I know the caddy program at the Honors, but what about the others? I’m not sure if any of these courses are suited for walking due to layout and/or terrain.

Thanks again -

Todd

I doubt you'll find many games that are *all* walkers, but walkers are welcome in all groups if that makes sense. 

Every club I've been around in this area has at least two recurring money games that are played 3-4 days each week. The "lowball" group will usually be where single-digits congregate and the "dogfight" will be a little more casual/less competitive. If you're a decent player you can be happy in either group depending on who you want to be around. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Touring and playing black creek next month. Anyone know if council fire accepts reciprocal play? After a couple of days heading up to Knoxville, stopping at wind river and have inquiries with foxden and Holston Hills but haven’t heard back.  If i cant get on either of those two is rarity bay Worth the drive? Thanks

On 8/31/2020 at 12:33 AM, cubanstogie said:

Touring and playing black creek next month. Anyone know if council fire accepts reciprocal play? After a couple of days heading up to Knoxville, stopping at wind river and have inquiries with foxden and Holston Hills but haven’t heard back.  If i cant get on either of those two is rarity bay Worth the drive? Thanks

My guess would be that Council Fire would accept a reciprocal request from your home club. Black Creek and Council Fire are very comparable in terms of course quality and conditions, amenities and food. They're the two best live/play options in Chattanooga and the choice between the two would depend on where one lives. 

Rarity Bay is a fun track, nothing wrong with it. TN National is probably better but it's not night and day. Knoxville is way ahead of Chattanooga in terms of public access courses. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 month later...

Todd,

All of these suggestions are great. Another option if you end up in East Brainerd area is Windstone. We recently converted our greens to tif-eagle and they are fantastic. They were rolling at a 13 this past Friday. It is your cheapest option in town and we have many great member tournaments and regular lowball games. Our membership has flipped over the last four years. When I first joined it was mainly an older crowd, however, they started offering a junior rate and we now have a plethora of members in their 20s-40s. You won’t get the same amenities as the country club or black creek, but if you want to play with a bunch of great guys on a fairly challenging course at a great rate check it out. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If I lived on that side of town I'd be tempted to play at Windstone...but I'd never live on that side of town. 🙂

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, me05501 said:

If I lived on that side of town I'd be tempted to play at Windstone...but I'd never live on that side of town. 🙂

Wife and I drive through Chattanooga when go to Florida(have overnighted there off Shallowford Rd a couple times.)  Have always considered spending more time there if we had more time, which is why I'm always curious when I hear stuff like this.  Why do you say that?  Apologies if it derails the thread...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

Wife and I drive through Chattanooga when go to Florida(have overnighted there off Shallowford Rd a couple times.)  Have always considered spending more time there if we had more time, which is why I'm always curious when I hear stuff like this.  Why do you say that?  Apologies if it derails the thread...

Lots of reasons for me, which obviously reflects just my personal preferences as a lifelong resident of the area. 

East Brainerd and Ooltewah remind me of an Atlanta suburb instead of part of Chattanooga.  Unless you absolutely need the fastest access to the airport or interstates, there are much more scenic and affordable options all over the area.

Our area is incredibly scenic with rolling hills, the Tennessee River and Chickamauga Lake and creeks, the foothills of the Appalachians and the wide-open countryside. It makes it hard for me to understand why anyone would choose to live in the most over-developed part of the city with the most pavement, the most cookie-cutter subdivisions and the most traffic. This can be mitigated somewhat by getting out toward Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, which is a really pretty stretch, but the traffic and congestion to commute from out there would drive me crazy. Plus the interstate congestion between that area and downtown is totally avoidable. 

As far as lifestyle goes, all of the really good local restaurants are located downtown. The mall area is all chains for the most part. There's not a single good coffee shop in the entire East Brainerd area, just Starbucks. 

This is primarily a private school town for people who have the money, and all the best ones are closer to downtown. All three local hospital systems have their main campuses close to downtown. The biggest employers are downtown. 

If you work at CBL or US Express or McKee Foods it makes sense to stay on that side of town. Otherwise there are much more livable and comfortable areas IMO.

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Lots of reasons for me, which obviously reflects just my personal preferences as a lifelong resident of the area. 

East Brainerd and Ooltewah remind me of an Atlanta suburb instead of part of Chattanooga.  Unless you absolutely need the fastest access to the airport or interstates, there are much more scenic and affordable options all over the area.

Our area is incredibly scenic with rolling hills, the Tennessee River and Chickamauga Lake and creeks, the foothills of the Appalachians and the wide-open countryside. It makes it hard for me to understand why anyone would choose to live in the most over-developed part of the city with the most pavement, the most cookie-cutter subdivisions and the most traffic. This can be mitigated somewhat by getting out toward Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, which is a really pretty stretch, but the traffic and congestion to commute from out there would drive me crazy. Plus the interstate congestion between that area and downtown is totally avoidable. 

As far as lifestyle goes, all of the really good local restaurants are located downtown. The mall area is all chains for the most part. There's not a single good coffee shop in the entire East Brainerd area, just Starbucks. 

This is primarily a private school town for people who have the money, and all the best ones are closer to downtown. All three local hospital systems have their main campuses close to downtown. The biggest employers are downtown. 

If you work at CBL or US Express or McKee Foods it makes sense to stay on that side of town. Otherwise there are much more livable and comfortable areas IMO.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I know it always amazes me how a city of that size(good size but not one you would think would have heavy traffic) has a freeway that gets so bogged down at the I-24/I-75 split.  UNless we are there very early or very late, *every time* it slows to a crawl.  I would not want to drive that every day.

Was just looking at Windstone on the map.  I see they are right on the state line.  Must be an administrative nightmare being in both states.

But I take it from your viewpoint, The Honors course is the biggest redeeming quality of Ooltewah.  🤪

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I know it always amazes me how a city of that size(good size but not one you would think would have heavy traffic) has a freeway that gets so bogged down at the I-24/I-75 split.  UNless we are there very early or very late, *every time* it slows to a crawl.  I would not want to drive that every day.

Was just looking at Windstone on the map.  I see they are right on the state line.  Must be an administrative nightmare being in both states.

But I take it from your viewpoint, The Honors course is the biggest redeeming quality of Ooltewah.  🤪

The 75/24 split is currently undergoing a huge renovation that should make it easier to navigate without delays, so that'll help, but avoiding it altogether is entirely possible too. I've always said that people who live in Ooltewah/East Brainerd and work downtown have chosen to include Atlanta-style traffic as a part of their Chattanooga commute. It has never made sense to me. 

Golfwise, you do have more options out there with Council Fire, Windstone, Bear Trace, Champion's Club and the munis, plus TopGolf. That's indisputable. But you can also live over toward Lookout Mtn/Lookout Valley and be much closer to downtown while having Black Creek, Lookout Mountain, McLemore, Sweeten's Cove and other great courses nearby. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...