So what about the AVX?

BeerPerHole

I was in our pro shop yesterday and mentioned I wanted to try a softer ball. Asst. pro handed me a sleeve of AVX. I have hit these a few times when they first came out. I remember them being long and low. I think they look very cool with those dimples. But, what are these in terms of comparison with the ProV and ProVx? I've heard they're similar in construction. Firmer mantle? Different cover material?

It's a soft-ish ball that flies lower, but spins more than the previous AVX, but less than the ProV1 and X. That said, it's a very long golf ball. But compared to a ProV1/X, they're going to be softer than those. If you need more spin around the greens, that might not be the ball for you. I love everything about the AVX, but need more spin around the greens. If you don't need that, then this is an outstanding option.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Ball feels like a marshmallow and you can possibly lose some distance if you are a higher swing speed player. It will fly lower and spin less than the V1 and V1X.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

The pro talking the balls with me said something along those lines. He pointed to the Chrome Soft and said I probably wouldn't like it if my driver is faster than 85 or something like that. Eh...I know some fast-swinging pros play it. My son plays it and loves it - probably swinging around 110.

I'm hitting my irons pretty high lately as my swing has evolved. Same with driver, really. High shots.

• 1 month later...

I tried unsuccessfully to just find a sleeve of the new AVX to try, so I broke down and bought a dozen. Just putting them on my green, I can tell I hate them.(Back in the day, a small golf store would walk over and pull out a sleeve for ya if you wanted to try them. GG had ZILLIONS of them in dozens, which I guess should have been my first clue....

My make percentage is much higher with the newest PV1 and I can at least stand to look down at it.

AVX with the bright shiny cover with the optic blue added makes the ball appear to be larger in diameter and higher next to the blade and it is just MESSING with my head when putting. These are going BACK. No doubt. Hate the sound off the blade, hate the feel. Very hollow.

How did these make it this far into development? I haven't played in 5 years. This is gen 2, no less?

Obviously, Titleist has MAJOR bottlenecks in their available I.P. in that they can't make a better soft core urethane performer.

I only wish I had stocked up more on FG Tour closeouts years ago... that's what I'm after now. I have one dozen left and suddenly feel like THEY are the balls that should have cost $51.57 at the register. Golf is getting so nuts with the prices. Even a box of balls seems like a MAJOR decision now. No likey.

Edited by blueonblack
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sean2 said:

I don't quite get this ball. They are $40 a dozen, and in my experience they don't perform nearly as well around the green as premium balls do. Seems to me there are less expensive alternatives out there that do what the AVX does. 

Problem is, I want the AVX to do what the PV1 does with a softer feel, and apparently, they can't deliver. This is not at all what I expected, and I haven't even hit a full shot with it. I hate how it putts, and that's as far as it needs to go. ha!

I did their ball selector tool, and played the different PV1's, and PV1 is still #1 according to that, and AVX was my alternative. It feels like a MUCH less expensive ball just putting it. Had kinda wonky results with RXS years ago when my swing speed was higher on full swings. I lost distance with that one. I think the true "top end" ball from whatever manufacturer it is will be my ball still.

I sure wish I could have been on a panel or something with the AVX. I would have had a lot to tell them about putting the AVX, anyway....

I am not making any sacrifice there for any softer feel. Who would?

Kinda (really) had to search to find some discussion on this ball. That is telling too!! So glad I have my receipt...

• Like 1

For that matter, I want the higher flight of the PV1x with softer feel of the PV1.

Can they make a PV1* or something that fits the bill?

Am I asking for modern day balata? What's going on here?? Ha!

I feel more and more I'm being pulled to Chrome Softs, but I haven't played a Cally in ages so no frame of reference. HX-Tours? Loved.

Is it me, or do ALL the golf balls in the store look "gimmicky" with all the soccer logos and stuff.? It's fun, but they all kinda look like old surlyn balls at $50 now. Everything is a Nike Mojo. ha!

Edited by blueonblack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I don't quite get this ball. They are $40 a dozen, and in my experience they don't perform nearly as well around the green as premium balls do. Seems to me there are less expensive alternatives out there that do what the AVX does. 

Any ball with the Titleist logo on it is going to have cheaper alternatives. It's the most expensive brand of golf balls on the market. 

• Like 1

I had my uncle over today, who never touches a golf ball or club unless he comes to my place. We putted some golf balls in the living room for fun (which it was) and just to see if he could tell a difference between the PV1 and the AVX. A sleeve of each. #4's both.

After he putt about 6 balls with each, I asked him if he could discern any difference. "The second one was faster when I hit it." (AVX.)

I have found the same, and I have played to scratch in my life. LOL! It was that obvious, even to someone who doesn't play the game.

I shudder to think my PV1's went to $48/dz just do they could bankroll coming out with the AVX and Tour Speed lines.

Ditch those and put the PV1 back to $43 per dz. I give them a pass on price only because of U.S. Labor laws and people gotta eat. Only that.

AVX are back in the sleeve ready to be returned.

Hasn't it been like ten years since Pro V1's were $43 a dozen? I think at least the 2013 Pro V1 was same price as today, possibly even the 2011 version.

As to raising the price of one ball to somehow pay for another, that doesn't make any sense at all. They charge what they think people will pay. Obviously about a million golfers are willing to pay $48 a dozen for Pro V1 (or nearly the same for TP5 or for Chrome Soft for that matter). That's why they cost that much.

Finally, about choosing a ball based on how it feels putting in your living room...what the what???

• Like 1

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Well, I used to be scratch too, and I love the AVX. It gives me a consistent ball flight and longer off the driver than most every other ball I have tried. But since you hate it, I guess we all should too... whatever. There is a reason that there are so many choices in golf balls and equipment. What you do not like will be perfect for another player. By all means, go ahead and tell us how we should all be playing blades...lol. So many clowns on this site any more...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blueonblack said:

I tried unsuccessfully to just find a sleeve of the new AVX to try, so I broke down and bought a dozen. Just putting them on my green, I can tell I hate them.(Back in the day, a small golf store would walk over and pull out a sleeve for ya if you wanted to try them. GG had ZILLIONS of them in dozens, which I guess should have been my first clue....

My make percentage is much higher with the newest PV1 and I can at least stand to look down at it.

AVX with the bright shiny cover with the optic blue added makes the ball appear to be larger in diameter and higher next to the blade and it is just MESSING with my head when putting. These are going BACK. No doubt. Hate the sound off the blade, hate the feel. Very hollow.

How did these make it this far into development? I haven't played in 5 years. This is gen 2, no less?

Obviously, Titleist has MAJOR bottlenecks in their available I.P. in that they can't make a better soft core urethane performer.

I only wish I had stocked up more on FG Tour closeouts years ago... that's what I'm after now. I have one dozen left and suddenly feel like THEY are the balls that should have cost $51.57 at the register. Golf is getting so nuts with the prices. Even a box of balls seems like a MAJOR decision now. No likey.

I love the AVX, it's my favorite urethane ball from Titleist. I respect the idea that you hate it, some certainly do....different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwbloom93 said:

I love the AVX, it's my favorite urethane ball from Titleist. I respect the idea that you hate it, some certainly do....different strokes for different folks I guess.

I hate to cut it short, but I'm just used to a urethane ball having a certain sound and feel when I putt it, and it just sounds/feels "hollow."

Seemed a little hot off the face too. I wanted to like them very much. But I figure return them for something else at this price too. Kinda have to, or I would give them a go.

3 hours ago, North Butte said:

Hasn't it been like ten years since Pro V1's were $43 a dozen? I think at least the 2013 Pro V1 was same price as today, possibly even the 2011 version.

As to raising the price of one ball to somehow pay for another, that doesn't make any sense at all. They charge what they think people will pay. Obviously about a million golfers are willing to pay $48 a dozen for Pro V1 (or nearly the same for TP5 or for Chrome Soft for that matter). That's why they cost that much.

Finally, about choosing a ball based on how it feels putting in your living room...what the what???

Oh, I had a stroke, so all I've done for 5 years is putt indoors, and some outdoor and range time this year trying to get back into the game. I have a Big Moss putting green as well. The practice indoors has always translated very well for me to the outdoor game. I'm old and have experienced many equipment and balls, many decades of playing now, so I hone in on what feels good pretty fast. (OK, 45, but I've been playing since age 6. These just didn't do it. Being honest. Hope that is OK.

I'm so excited to play again, as my putting is really good from the practice. Wasn't always the case for me.

I got a sleeve of new PV1 from my club guy when he put the aerotechs in my irons and wedges this year. Last ones were the 2013 version that I got a box from my uncle on my Bday and they were $43 from Dicks at the time and he thought that was pretty steep. I still have a sleeve of those as well for reference that I'm rolling too.

I'm just having some fun at Titleist's (my $51.52) expense too a little. David vs Goliath. Why not? ha!

Isn't everyone trying to get better, better, better. Just food for better.

Edited by blueonblack

5 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

I hate to cut it short, but I'm just used to a urethane ball having a certain sound and feel when I putt it, and it just sounds/feels "hollow."

Seemed a little hot off the face too. I wanted to like them very much. But I figure return them for something else at this price too. Kinda have to, or I would give them a go.

Maybe this time you'll figure out a way to have the store allow you to putt for a while before you buy,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

Titleist Pro V1X

10 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

My mom is in her final days and I just had to dash in and out of the store when I was out on an errand. I'm her caregiver.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

But I hear ya. When my Mom passed I used the internet to keep my mind off things too.

Condolences.

• Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1X

5 hours ago, North Butte said:

Yes at least 10 years. Other premium tour balls are or have sold for the same price as Titleist Pro-V1's (current Callaway Triple Track, old Callaway SR1, SR2, SR3 and other Callaway balls, Rule 35 balls for $42 for 10 balls back in 2000) and it seems few complain about those as being too expensive. Cracks me up that plenty of people will easily pay $44.99/dozen for balls with no issue but somehow balls retailing for $47.99/dozen are too "expensive". If you don't want to play a DTC ball buy the Z-Star line when they have their $10 1/2 dozen sample packs or their BOGO sale that will net out to $20/dozen for balls are arguably better than anything Titleist, TM and Callaway currently offer for tour line balls.

Edited by grm24

21 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I'm with you.  It seems to me, at least, that there are a lot of balls that feel soft and spin less than the ProV1's that cost a lot less than the AVX.  (For that matter, I'm not sure why anybody wants a soft ball that spins less, but that's another argument.) 

The best I can come up with is that it's for players who want those things with a Titleist logo and don't care what that costs.  Other than that, I got nothing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blueonblack said:

For that matter, I want the higher flight of the PV1x with softer feel of the PV1.

Can they make a PV1* or something that fits the bill?

Am I asking for modern day balata? What's going on here?? Ha!

I feel more and more I'm being pulled to Chrome Softs, but I haven't played a Cally in ages so no frame of reference. HX-Tours? Loved.

Is it me, or do ALL the golf balls in the store look "gimmicky" with all the soccer logos and stuff.? It's fun, but they all kinda look like old surlyn balls at $50 now. Everything is a Nike Mojo. ha!

Try the TM TP5. As long or longer than Pro V1. Spins as well around the greens. Feels a little softer, at least to me.

im staying with AVX. i hit the ball high to begin with (partly on purpose) and i really appreciate the lower spin this ball gives me ... wind has less effect and i can just launch it high and have it hold its line. to test my commitment i went back and tried the PVX1 a few weeks ago, and maybe it does got a bit longer off the tee, and sometimes the firmer feel off longer irons is a plus. but still overall i found myself losing feel and performance at higher trajectories I am looking for.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

2 minutes ago, dalehead said:

Try the TM TP5. As long or longer than Pro V1. Spins as well around the greens. Feels a little softer, at least to me.

Thanks. I did love the TP Reds many, many, many moons ago. I haven't tried but this variant in the "soft" compression styles recently. I get the feeling they are all a little softer across the board now? I still love those Wilson Staff FG Tours. Shoulda bought more closeouts....doah!

Heck, even the new PV1 I have to get it out on course and see how it feels since its supposedly softer.

I never, ever thought the way a ball putted would have such an influence on me. But since its all I've done for so long, I am so attuned to that part of my game now.

It made a big difference to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

23 hours ago, Sean2 said:

Yes, there are similar balls for less - up to you.

But they are $48 a dozen, same as the V1 and the V1x. The prior/original version, a better ball IMO, is $40/doz.

That said, I haven't been "myself" since the new version came out so perhaps that adversely colors my opinion of the new ball. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

They are $48 a dozen, same as the V and the V1. The prior/original version, a better ball IMO, is $40/doz. And yes, there are similar balls for less - up to you.

That said, I haven't been "myself" since the new version came out so perhaps that adversely colors my opinion of the new ball. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The original version was $40? Had no idea. That makes the present $48 at golf galaxy seem all the more overpriced then. No wonder they had so many in stock.

Just now, blueonblack said:

The original version was $40? Had no idea. That makes the present $48 at golf galaxy seem all the more overpriced then. No wonder they had so many in stock.

They're $40 NOW because the new version is out. Same as every company when a new model is released.

IIRC they were a buck or 2 less than the ProVs when they were current. Today all 3 premium Titleists are at the same price point, $48.

Titleist Pro V1X