Wishon?

achappy

I was a long time Wishon user.  Played the 550Ms, 560MC and the 575MMC for several years playing some of my best golf.   The 949 and 919 were also fantastic with the 919 long hosel still one of the best drivers I’ve hit.  So I know the quality is there.  I got away from components mainly because the used market became so good but now that seems have to have reversed course.  Forged sets, driving irons and even good drivers have gone up significantly.  

I love what I have in my bag but I a) want to go back to forged and b) want to switch up my bag and add some hybrids for the 3 & 4 irons.  So I’ve been thinking of going back to the 575s, either 5-PW blades or a combo.  Maltby KE4 TC 3 & 4 hybrids.

Just wondering if anyone still plays Wishon?  Anyone playing the newer 519 driver or the Di595?

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

41 minutes ago, BogeyParBogey said:

Sorry, can't help with Wishon but I do really like the KE4 TC hybrids.  I have the 2 hybrid as my par 5 approach club and it has worked better than fairway woods have.  My game is much different than yours (20.8 cap versus your 2.0) so this may not be that helpful though.

Dave

Yeah I played the original 19* for about a year.  It was a great hybrid and like a dummy I sold it.  I’ve seen quite a few reviews on the new one.  I’ve had too many 3 & 4 irons the past month where I needed way more height than what I can generate now.    Also the rough has been crazy with all of the rain we’ve had.

Maltby PTM-5

11 hours ago, achappy said:

I was a long time Wishon user.  Played the 550Ms, 560MC and the 575MMC for several years playing some of my best golf.   The 949 and 919 were also fantastic with the 919 long hosel still one of the best drivers I’ve hit.  So I know the quality is there.  I got away from components mainly because the used market became so good but now that seems have to have reversed course.  Forged sets, driving irons and even good drivers have gone up significantly.  

I love what I have in my bag but I a) want to go back to forged and b) want to switch up my bag and add some hybrids for the 3 & 4 irons.  So I’ve been thinking of going back to the 575s, either 5-PW blades or a combo.  Maltby KE4 TC 3 & 4 hybrids.

Just wondering if anyone still plays Wishon?  Anyone playing the newer 519 driver or the Di595?

i prefer the 565s to the 575s  little larger all round and close to the 560s which to me are the best irons i have hit

The 318  hybrids seem  good although not seen them in person

The Wishon  Micro Tour  wedges are fantastic  use my 56 at the local  range which has a tournament quality chipping putting green<It beats flat out any other wedges i have seen

My experience with the long hosel 919  differs from yours.I love the older version but just cant find the middle of the  new version. The  shaft plays softer and  it needs tipped to match.

never a fan of tipping Driver shafts could even play softer depending on the tip make up

1 hour ago, Thayneil said:

i prefer the 565s to the 575s  little larger all round and close to the 560s which to me are the best irons i have hit

The 318  hybrids seem  good although not seen them in person

The Wishon  Micro Tour  wedges are fantastic  use my 56 at the local  range which has a tournament quality chipping putting green<It beats flat out any other wedges i have seen

My experience with the long hosel 919  differs from yours.I love the older version but just cant find the middle of the  new version. The  shaft plays softer and  it needs tipped to match.

never a fan of tipping Driver shafts could even play softer depending on the tip make up

The 565s are also on my radar.  My son is on 2 travel baseball teams so my playing time will be limited. I got spoiled because they were shut down for a few months so this is the most I've played in a few years but I know it won't last.

Would you be able to provide a picture of the say the PW, 7I and 5I at address?  I just haven't been able to find any.

Maltby PTM-5

I had an account with Wishon for a long time. When he moved over to Diamond Golf my password got screwed up and no one has been able to correct the issue. I finally gave up. I have played the 560s, 575s, and 919. I really wanted to try out the 565s and the DI. I will live I vicariously I suppose! 

Loved the 560s and 919. 

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

On 9/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, achappy said:

Achappy-  we have known each other for some time thru the GEA.  I played Wishon 550 and 575MMC.   THey are great clubs, but I feel the newer Maltby offerings have all I need and more.

575MMC- were just a bit much as I aged.  I sent them to a kid I coached who is in college and had his clubs stolen.  He would not give them back..  If you are a solid player who is a 8 cap or less I think the 575 are a good choice.  I do believe the TS-1 deserve a long look to compare to the 575.

Wishon- 565-  I never warmed up to the squareness of that design. Sole and topline look.    Poor word- choice in describing it, - but I just had better luck with the Maltby MTE, MMB, and now TS-1/TS-2.    You cannot go wrong with the KE-4 TC hybrids.   Fantastic hybrids..   Have KE-4 tours in my bag and can't see trying anything else..

I went the same path as you.. went away from components when I was picking up used iron sets for under $200 that I could customize etc..   I am back to primarily components again. 

Irons/Wedges/Utilities.        I agree on the 919 driver.   Still have mine and won't sell it.  Great back up.  

I have played Wishon primarily since 2006. I have used other OEM's successfully, but have with few exceptions returned to my Wishon clubs. Perhaps it is the familiarity of having built and tweaked them myself, or more likely it is because they have proven to be reliable performers for me.

For hybrids, the Wishon 775HS is the best I've used and it is the oldest club in my bag. Of course, I built it as a direct 3i replacement, (21*) to maintain appropriate gaps. Most "Brand name" hybrids are built a couple of degrees strong (19*) and 1/2"-1" longer. 

The 919THI driver with Black 65 Stiff shaft has been the best driver for me and I keep going back, although the PING 400/410 is really good for me too. I don't see the 919 leaving the bag any time soon. It's the longest I've played (only driver I've hit 300+ yard drives with) and I find I can flight it more comfortably than others I have owned or played. Perhaps the head and shaft are just a good match for me.

With that said, I'm about to retire my 575MMC's because I've had them in the bag for most of the last 6+ years. I'm not playing as much and will benefit from a more forgiving iron set. I've been considering the 565 MC's, but even though they are the softest iron I've hit, I lose about 1/2 a club with them compared to the 575's. I'm not chasing distance, but at 61 don't want to give any away. (34*  7 iron is 160 club).

As a result of my search, I'm waiting for the PXG 0211's to arrive. I liked the PING i500's a lot and played them well, but hated the DG S300 shafts. Loft for loft I don't think the i500's were much longer, but were more friendly on less than perfect contact. (except thins).

The 575MMC's will go no further than a back up bag  I'm sure. I may never get rid of the 6 iron as I had my only Ace with it. 

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

On 9/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, Darth_Blader said:

I had an account with Wishon for a long time. When he moved over to Diamond Golf my password got screwed up and no one has been able to correct the issue. I finally gave up. I have played the 560s, 575s, and 919. I really wanted to try out the 565s and the DI. I will live I vicariously I suppose! 

Loved the 560s and 919. 

wouldnt  give up

see if you can find your old customer number or an old invoice and contact  gary at [email protected] or  Alison at [email protected]

If that fails you can even email  Tom W  to confirm your status

• Like 1

I really like wishon's designs.

Have played 919 and 950, driver and deep-faced fairway

also played 775hs, current hybrid

The 560mc irons are in the bag (and i've got a few sets)

I have recently discovered his HM wedges, and I really like the grinds with some heel relief and leading grind.

I'm playing a 56 and 60 now with his stepless steel shafts.

Tour Edge is my other favorite brand, but Tom is a great designer as well as a master of clubfitting.

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

some 565 photos that were requested above

I can't find original threads, but saved some photos to the computer.

6 iron at address (1st one)

PW at address (2nd one, without ball)

565mc 6i at address.jpg

565mc PW at address.jpg

another 565mc 6i photo address wooderson golfwrx AXE Tour 95 shaft.jpg

another 565mc 6i photo wooderson golfwrx.jpg

• Like 2

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Let me get everyone somewhat updated on Tom's newer stuff. You all seem so well versed in the forged lines of his irons and the  9191THI Driver. They all stand as solid platforms for a good fitter to do his/her thing.

Some newer  yet to be discovered product:

1. The 519 SHPR Driver:  415cc designed with a forward /higher cg. does exactly what Tom wanted to offer as an option for the better ball striker that want s to/can move the ball. Very solid sound at impact vs. the 919 brighter sound - with no moving parts this thing is gorgeous to look at from address and has a very penetrating flight, I have to put a wedge swing into a headwind to get any kind of ballooning. Get one to your specs!
  2. Di595 driving iron released a few months ago. excellent for those needing a driving iron opposed a traditional ironhead or Hybrid. Tom's European market demands these - if you like a U/Driving iron you have to check these out - they are a touch larger than most on the market but have very little if any offset, a thin topline and the lower part of the clubhead disappears into the grass at address. Soft feel and very forgiving for the  club type. Need to pressure them for a 4 iron loft - right now only avail in 2 & 3. Comes off the deck with ease.
  3. The EQ1-NX fwy and hybrids. The fwy are larger and more forgiving than the 929 model, while retaining the semi shallow faces and low cg - the Hybrids are the best looking things in the world - if you need a semi-shallow faced hybrid, perfectly shaped and great ease getting them in the air. Both fwy and hybrid  the weighting options are cool - can build them to whatever lengths - long/short you need.
  4. The EQ1-NX SL irons. No offset!  Larger and more forgiving  than the Sterlings  - the look at address  makes you want to take a divot - kind of a big blade look to them. Gone is the tink sound of the 5-6-7 irons nice and solid feeling/sounding.  This design may reach the better players.

Diamond /Wishon continues to be really easy to work with shipping is as fast from the UK as it was from Durango. Support them!

• Like 3

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

I play a 919 driver and Sterling Irons.  I cant find anything to replace either. They are both perfect for me.  I never found any wishon hybrids or fairway woods that worked for me however. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I play the 771 irons and the 919 driver both with the 'White' (70 gram) graphite shaft. If I was younger I would definitely play the 565 irons with the 'Black' (80  gram) graphite shafts. I have the black shaft in my 56* Micro wedge. Great clubs. I hit them really well but I need the little extra distance of the 771s.  I have the black shaft in my 56* micro wedge. I happened to hit the Ping G410 irons into the net at the Golf Mart today, last day of their Memorial Day sale. I thought I might like them but not even close. They went all right but I didn't care for their 'feel'. I happen to have a Wishon Fitter nearby so it really helps. I can drop by and chat with him about this or that. Nice clubs.

Edited by wgpinc
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, mustang said:

Achappy-  we have known each other for some time thru the GEA.  I played Wishon 550 and 575MMC.   THey are great clubs, but I feel the newer Maltby offerings have all I need and more.

575MMC- were just a bit much as I aged.  I sent them to a kid I coached who is in college and had his clubs stolen.  He would not give them back..  If you are a solid player who is a 8 cap or less I think the 575 are a good choice.  I do believe the TS-1 deserve a long look to compare to the 575.

Wishon- 565-  I never warmed up to the squareness of that design. Sole and topline look.    Poor word- choice in describing it, - but I just had better luck with the Maltby MTE, MMB, and now TS-1/TS-2.    You cannot go wrong with the KE-4 TC hybrids.   Fantastic hybrids..   Have KE-4 tours in my bag and can't see trying anything else..

I went the same path as you.. went away from components when I was picking up used iron sets for under $200 that I could customize etc..   I am back to primarily components again. 

Irons/Wedges/Utilities.        I agree on the 919 driver.   Still have mine and won't sell it.  Great back up.  

Were you GEAMustang??  I remember!  Yeah, the TS-1s are on my radar too. So many good things I keep seeing about them and they seem like a good compromise between forged feel, blade look and playability.  I'm also looking at the TSW wedges, KE4 TC 4W and PTM-4 putter.  Maltby just has a solid lineup right now.

Maltby PTM-5

1 hour ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Hello AC,

Recently acquired and built a set of 550 Limited Editions. Also re-built my 575s and shafted a 565 six iron as a test club. I enjoy swapping gear, but these will never leave the rotation.  The 775 hybrids are my primary set and the 950HC fairways have benched my F9 fairways.  

Mike

CDA0116A-8E88-43A9-8CCA-39EF1FD19748.jpeg

278A81B3-9ADD-4427-BA34-7ABC9BD5A053.jpeg

FEDBC5D0-DCCF-4885-BE06-B164FB38B9F2.jpeg

See those 575s are just a thing of beauty!  I know it’s nostalgia, but I played some great golf with them and I was deadly with the 7-PW in that set.  And I really didn’t find the CBs that unforgiving.

Decisions!

Maltby PTM-5

I have played, and currently own, many sets of irons. The 575’s are the best feeling clubs I’ve ever carried and the profile is handsome at address.

I wouldn’t think twice AC, go back and read your own threads (that’s where I was convinced).  A trip down memory lane will be good for the golfer’s soul. Recapture the ‘magic’. 

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

3 hours ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Hello AC,

Recently acquired and built a set of 550 Limited Editions. Also re-built my 575s and shafted a 565 six iron as a test club. I enjoy swapping gear, but these will never leave the rotation.  The 775 hybrids are my primary set and the 950HC fairways have benched my F9 fairways.  

Mike

CDA0116A-8E88-43A9-8CCA-39EF1FD19748.jpeg

278A81B3-9ADD-4427-BA34-7ABC9BD5A053.jpeg

FEDBC5D0-DCCF-4885-BE06-B164FB38B9F2.jpeg

PD, were you the one who pulled the badges off of some 560mc's?

I think you were because you had the same canadian flag on those if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

TM TP5x

Twas me geochitown.  Still have those as well. Traded my 771s for the 550 ltd editions you see above.  Always something on the go. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I ordered a 519 SHPR driver head and there was some severe paintwork quality control issues with it on the sole in the red lines. Looks like a child colored it in and missed staying in the lines. We also had a problem with them sending the order to an old address I used to live at before they switched their systems but that's another story. 

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_20200825_210515.jpg

IMG_20200825_210525.jpg

IMG_20200825_210534.jpg

IMG_20200825_210538.jpg

IMG_20200825_210631.jpg

IMG_20200825_210655.jpg

IMG_20200825_210559.jpg

IMG_20200825_210605.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good looking head shape (minus the poorly executed paint-fill).  Really interested to here how they play/feel?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

14 hours ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

Twas me geochitown.  Still have those as well. Traded my 771s for the 550 ltd editions you see above.  Always something on the go. 

Those 550 Ltd's are money!

• Like 2

TM TP5x

22 hours ago, achappy said:

Were you GEAMustang??  I remember!  Yeah, the TS-1s are on my radar too. So many good things I keep seeing about them and they seem like a good compromise between forged feel, blade look and playability.  I'm also looking at the TSW wedges, KE4 TC 4W and PTM-4 putter.  Maltby just has a solid lineup right now.

Yes-  I just ordered a TS-1 #7 iron.  I have TS-2 #5-PW and TS-1 7-GW.    Currently all but the TS-1 #7 are shafted in Recoil 680 F-4.     I am going to experiment with the Aldila NV iron shaft- 95 gram in #7 iron.   If it goes well..... I will pull the TS-1 and then decide what I want to do with my #5 and #6 iron.   I can't see going away from the TS-2 in the longer irons... they are SO good.  I may end up with two complete sets.  

The TSW wedges are FANTASTIC.   My favorite wedges.   I loved my Infiniti IP-3 Wedges and these are better.    I sold my Callaway MD-4 that I had for two months after getting these.  

I have played the KE-4 tour utilities for a long time.  My son TOOK my 22 degree and played it thru HS.  It is his money club.   I now play a 19 degree.    My friend is a 4 handicap and he picked up the 22 and 25 in their paks pre-built.  He raves about them..   I built the TC-4W and sold it to a player.  Solid as well.   Just love my Cobra's in FWY woods.  You won't go wrong there!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mustang said:

Yes-  I just ordered a TS-1 #7 iron.  I have TS-2 #5-PW and TS-1 7-GW.    Currently all but the TS-1 #7 are shafted in Recoil 680 F-4.     I am going to experiment with the Aldila NV iron shaft- 95 gram in #7 iron.   If it goes well..... I will pull the TS-1 and then decide what I want to do with my #5 and #6 iron.   I can't see going away from the TS-2 in the longer irons... they are SO good.  I may end up with two complete sets.  

The TSW wedges are FANTASTIC.   My favorite wedges.   I loved my Infiniti IP-3 Wedges and these are better.    I sold my Callaway MD-4 that I had for two months after getting these.  

I have played the KE-4 tour utilities for a long time.  My son TOOK my 22 degree and played it thru HS.  It is his money club.   I now play a 19 degree.    My friend is a 4 handicap and he picked up the 22 and 25 in their paks pre-built.  He raves about them..   I built the TC-4W and sold it to a player.  Solid as well.   Just love my Cobra's in FWY woods.  You won't go wrong there!

You gotta start playing by yourself or you won’t have any clubs left! ? 

• Like 1

LOL-    His Driver- Putter-FWY Wood and both Utilities came DIRECTLY out of my bag.     I actually LOVE that fact.   He will not let me touch his putter..  TP Mills Mizuno TPM #2.    Best thing ever was after he graduated this year we played a two man best ball.   Had a blast..   Mission accomplished!

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, 03trdblack said:

I ordered a 519 SHPR driver head and there was some severe paintwork quality control issues with it on the sole in the red lines. Looks like a child colored it in and missed staying in the lines. We also had a problem with them sending the order to an old address I used to live at before they switched their systems but that's another story. 

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_20200825_210515.jpg

IMG_20200825_210525.jpg

IMG_20200825_210534.jpg

IMG_20200825_210538.jpg

IMG_20200825_210631.jpg

IMG_20200825_210655.jpg

IMG_20200825_210559.jpg

IMG_20200825_210605.jpg

That is not acceptable. Message me and I will send you another head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/7/2020 at 2:55 PM, Darth_Blader said:

Loved the 560s and 919. 

Please message me with your details and even your customer number if you have it. Would love to sort this out for you and get you back on board.

• Like 2