Anyone gaming T200 irons?

SwooshLT

This topic has peaked my interest for sure, when the T series came out I immediately went in for a fitting. Coming from AP2 forever, I initially was fit for the AMT reds with T200’s but felt like it was more of the same kinda. Wanted to love the P790’s I was fit for at the same time during the comparative test and ended up selling the T200 for the P790. I kinda regret it. Now ended up with T100-S but keep seeing my buddies with T200’s just drop their scores. Iron play isn’t my strongest facet of the game, but feel and looks are super important to me. The 48* T200 GW also threw off my wedge game which I just wasn’t ready for. Recently got fit for the TSi series and the fitter checked my 7 iron numbers out and the T100-S puts me in the right windows.  He said I could use a little more height but his first choice would be the T100, considering my history and 7 handicap. I just remember someone saying that golf lives in the grey area of imperfect strokes, as when you center face it any iron will work 

17 hours ago, drscott266 said:

This topic has peaked my interest for sure, when the T series came out I immediately went in for a fitting. Coming from AP2 forever, I initially was fit for the AMT reds with T200’s but felt like it was more of the same kinda. Wanted to love the P790’s I was fit for at the same time during the comparative test and ended up selling the T200 for the P790. I kinda regret it. Now ended up with T100-S but keep seeing my buddies with T200’s just drop their scores. Iron play isn’t my strongest facet of the game, but feel and looks are super important to me. The 48* T200 GW also threw off my wedge game which I just wasn’t ready for. Recently got fit for the TSi series and the fitter checked my 7 iron numbers out and the T100-S puts me in the right windows.  He said I could use a little more height but his first choice would be the T100, considering my history and 7 handicap. I just remember someone saying that golf lives in the grey area of imperfect strokes, as when you center face it any iron will work 

You should re-visit the T200.....the lofts ,while strong on paper, don't give crazy yardages nor low flight.......just the opposite in my findings.......I've mixed amt black and red to get my flight up; my 7-4 irons have red amt and the 8-Gw have black......I throw darts when swinging even decent......misses aren't penal......I came from Srixon combo Z785 7-pw and z585 4-6i 

More overall consistency I feel ......tons of great choices out there but feel, forgiveness,  trajectory, looks , turf interaction......boxes checked!

• Like 1

Where is all this T200 love coming from?

The T200 was like the stepchild release of the T-line last year. Everyone clammored for either the T100 or the T300, and then of course Titleist being themselves released the T100s and that got more praise from those who held off on purchasing. But not a whimper about the T200.

So what changed?

IMO the T200 are like the Apex Pro. 99% similar in lineup, marketing, and performance - to me. Was always a great iron if you like Titleist stuff but again for some reason, it never gained as much steam

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

You should re-visit the T200.....the lofts ,while strong on paper, don't give crazy yardages nor low flight.......just the opposite in my findings.......I've mixed amt black and red to get my flight up; my 7-4 irons have red amt and the 8-Gw have black......I throw darts when swinging even decent......misses aren't penal......I came from Srixon combo Z785 7-pw and z585 4-6i 

More overall consistency I feel ......tons of great choices out there but feel, forgiveness,  trajectory, looks , turf interaction......boxes checked!

Yeah that is what I’m coming to realize, especially with a full season left before new irons come out. I regret selling the T200 and reckon the fit with AMT was spot on. I trust the fitter who did it, but just had to scratch that hollow iron itch. Haven’t settled on anything since, as the level of forgiveness the T100 seems to be at the ragged edge of what I can handle. I’m not typically a hard swinger and with the AMT red I had a nice decent angle. That being said my current setup of AMT black and T100S is in the ballpark according to the numbers, but I was swinging great that day. I can handle the weight of the black but assume T100S spin slightly more than T200. As another anecdote, I took a swing with my friends T300 on the same shot I just hit with my set. I hit a smooth 5 iron to short of the pin and the proceeded to hit a T300 6 iron effortlessly over the green. I am figuring the T200 is the perfect blend of those two shots, as I can’t stand how large the 300 are. Thanks for all advice!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

I’m also tempted to just order the 4-6 iron in T200, as the lofts almost fit and you’re correct... I don’t think they go as far as one would believe from loft alone. I have struggled with combo sets as I can mentally stuck jumping to the more forgiving model on in between shots. That being said I play a u500 4 iron and am strongly thinking of putting an AMT red in as that shaft works for me on most of days, the black seems to help with my best days. 

• Like 1

I don’t think they’re low spin bombers. I went back for a fitting and ultimately ordered a set in the black with the black AMT black shafts. They look so dope in the all black. I found them very forgiving for how compact they look. 

I saw a little less spin with the 7 iron but decent angle was 50 degrees so that’s good. I had a good swing day in my fitting so I really came away impressed. These feel great and look compact for such a forgiving and long iron. 

What really surprised me was the stock amt black shaft. It’s really good with the T200 head. I tried the white, red and PX LZ 6.0 but the AMT black was the perfect feel/distance. 

Now I’m waiting on my order. 

1CBC1987-7AA4-46E9-BB51-204BF8E4F33D.jpeg

Edited by Kmac
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, TrueWRX said:

Debating giving these a shot. I think the back of the club looks ok. Looks great at address. I currently have T100-S but I never really work the ball unless I am in trouble so figure the T200 may be better

Curious to hear more man!  I've been reading up a ton on a few iron choices I'm looking at including T100-S and noticed you've been a big fan in some of those threads, so just wondering more on this! 

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

31 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Curious to hear more man!  I've been reading up a ton on a few iron choices I'm looking at including T100-S and noticed you've been a big fan in some of those threads, so just wondering more on this! 

I’m much in the same boat, and have played T100-S all season. I would say they are lower spinning T100’s that work for people who just plain hit the T100 too short, or wanted to blend with the other T series. The T200 I had I never really gave a chance. I switched to P790 immediately and found them straight but very inconsistent distance wise. That is the thing that concerns me about these high launch low spin irons, that really on decent angle. To be honest the T100-S are basically at the edge of that category based on my last fitting numbers. I will say the T100 chassis may be more consistent but also more punishing. I really agree with the poster who said he only works the ball when in trouble.  As I have spent more time working with an instructor and playing with better players I am learning higher flight with the right spin is desirable. It’s kinda something I avoided before, but I just didn’t know what to look for. 

12 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

I’m much in the same boat, and have played T100-S all season. I would say they are lower spinning T100’s that work for people who just plain hit the T100 too short, or wanted to blend with the other T series. The T200 I had I never really gave a chance. I switched to P790 immediately and found them straight but very inconsistent distance wise. That is the thing that concerns me about these high launch low spin irons, that really on decent angle. To be honest the T100-S are basically at the edge of that category based on my last fitting numbers. I will say the T100 chassis may be more consistent but also more punishing. I really agree with the poster who said he only works the ball when in trouble.  As I have spent more time working with an instructor and playing with better players I am learning higher flight with the right spin is desirable. It’s kinda something I avoided before, but I just didn’t know what to look for. 

That's one of the things I was not quite following. 

I get what it means in theory, but is that based more on that the T100-S being more demanding and less forgiving and the appeal of the T200 is a similar body providing more assistance along with most the same ability as T100?  

Edited by bubbagump

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

54 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

I bought the Black Friday True spec full bag fitting. Going to wait until all the new drivers are out but I will hit the T200 then. Unfortunately probably not until Feb.  

5 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I bought the Black Friday True spec full bag fitting. Going to wait until all the new drivers are out but I will hit the T200 then. Unfortunately probably not until Feb.  

Word.  Anything in particular lead you to be interested in moving from the T100S after liking them so much?

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

1 hour ago, bubbagump said:

Word.  Anything in particular lead you to be interested in moving from the T100S after liking them so much?

Not playing as much as I use too. Looked at my stats end of the year greens in regulation def my weakness and certainly 5 6 and maybe 7 iron. I wish titleist made the u500 4-6. I would combo it up. I could probably combo up t200 and t100-s but I rather just go all t200 if I go that way 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bubbagump said:

That's one of the things I was not quite following. 

I get what it means in theory, but is that based more on that the T100-S being more demanding and less forgiving and the appeal of the T200 is a similar body providing more assistance along with most the same ability as T100?  

That is my conclusion after going psycho and playing almost every model this year. I figured my iron game is just not consistent, and I know I’ll miss greens but everyone is saying T200 are way more forgiving than T100. I can tell you from personal experience that other than off set being more, the T200 are trim for the most part. You can see the long irons stick out a bit, but it’s less than AP3. I didn’t like the T200 because of their looks, but at address it’s really pretty clean. I’m laughing at myself for having been fit into what I’m about to buy again.  I just find the T100 work well on my best days, but the rest of the days are more of a grey area. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

That is my conclusion after going psycho and playing almost every model this year. I figured my iron game is just not consistent, and I know I’ll miss greens but everyone is saying T200 are way more forgiving than T100. I can tell you from personal experience that other than off set being more, the T200 are trim for the most part. You can see the long irons stick out a bit, but it’s less than AP3. I didn’t like the T200 because of their looks, but at address it’s really pretty clean. I’m laughing at myself for having been fit into what I’m about to buy again.  I just find the T100 work well on my best days, but the rest of the days are more of a grey area. 

Yeah for sure man.  That's kind of where I am these days, to the reality of playing the most forgiveness/confidence you can tolerate.  Irons are a strength of my game, and I am hovering around a 5hc but I just play the way it sounds you guys do in straight forward, as opposed to working it all around so there is really no true requirement of playing nimble irons just for the sake of it.  I don't have a giant hostility toward some offset, or some gross cavity badges (one of my favorite irons of all time are the Adams A tours lol) if I'm scoring. T200's I liked when I tried them, but wasn't enamored.  

I am having a hard time X'ing out the T100S due to performance and looks and all, but I think the HMB's are a perfect mesh of all I'm looking for.     

Edited by bubbagump

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

4 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Yeah for sure man.  That's kind of where I am these days, to the reality of playing the most forgiveness/confidence you can tolerate.  Irons are a strength of my game, and I am hovering around a 5hc but I just play the way it sounds you guys do in straight forward, as opposed to working it all around so there is really no true requirement of playing nimble irons just for the sake of it.  I don't have a giant hostility toward some offset, or some gross cavity badges (one of my favorite irons of all time are the Adams A tours lol) if I'm scoring. T200's I liked when I tried them, but wasn't enamored.  

I am having a hard time X'ing out the T100S due to performance and looks and all, but I think the HMB's are a perfect mesh of all I'm looking for.     

So I tried the HMB’s and just my two cents couldn’t get along with them immediately. Admittedly I am Titleist guy, but I had always heard about Mizuno feel. The HMB’s just missed in all departments, looks, feel, and worst of all turf interaction. Might have been the shafts, but they just didn’t jump out as being great at anything for me. Your results may vary. I think the T200 keep nagging at me as they basically somehow do what you described, they are as forgiving as a low to mid cap would need and go through the turf like an AP2. I am 7 right now and play a very straight forward game. Tired of seeing my missed with T100 go all over the place. I do realize it’s mostly my swing but extra ball speed across the face would help a lot of my problems. My head pro moved away from them, but mostly because he didn’t line the occasional jumper distance wise. Feel wise they are no T100 but are close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drscott266 said:

So I tried the HMB’s and just my two cents couldn’t get along with them immediately. Admittedly I am Titleist guy, but I had always heard about Mizuno feel. The HMB’s just missed in all departments, looks, feel, and worst of all turf interaction. Might have been the shafts, but they just didn’t jump out as being great at anything for me. Your results may vary. I think the T200 keep nagging at me as they basically somehow do what you described, they are as forgiving as a low to mid cap would need and go through the turf like an AP2. I am 7 right now and play a very straight forward game. Tired of seeing my missed with T100 go all over the place. I do realize it’s mostly my swing but extra ball speed across the face would help a lot of my problems. My head pro moved away from them, but mostly because he didn’t line the occasional jumper distance wise. Feel wise they are no T100 but are close. 

So you were fit for the T200’s but decided to go with the T100’s? Classic move that I’d do lol 

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2020 at 3:24 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

Where is all this T200 love coming from?

The T200 was like the stepchild release of the T-line last year. Everyone clammored for either the T100 or the T300, and then of course Titleist being themselves released the T100s and that got more praise from those who held off on purchasing. But not a whimper about the T200.

So what changed?

IMO the T200 are like the Apex Pro. 99% similar in lineup, marketing, and performance - to me. Was always a great iron if you like Titleist stuff but again for some reason, it never gained as much steam

My belief is the experienced player or slightly older guy that doesn't want shovels, still enjoys forged yet doesn't play as much as they use to......

For me, the ease of height in a tidy package was the reason I jumped on the wagon.......after 30yrs in the game I realize that there are many choices available.....but also many factors go into the decision:  for me the forementioned apex pro was small and weird scoring lines.....I'm also lefty so limitations are in place somewhat.  Really went into the iron search process looking at the new 921 Mizuno forged but not offered in lefty. Hit P770 , checked i210 and T200...... shaft options , address position and reviews lead me to T200s but also finding a brand new set for 600.00 off paved the way. 

I know satisfaction wise any of the above models would have worked.....but not having  Titleist irons in awhile , I'm very happy to be back ! Former 735cm,990,  962 and 731pm iron user

Talked myself into them, and pulled the trigger on a set. The T100-S will be going up for sale soon. Stopped by my local shop to check the numbers, and they only had the LZ  in 6.0. We hit a few and were blown away by the ball speed numbers. The stopping power was unreal too, but it felt like I had to work to flush it. Tried the LZ 5.5 in the mizuno cart with Brie forged head and pure strikes increased. May not be perfect testing but neither is my swing. I got to see the 5.5 in T200 on my range and it looked good. Pretty excited for these honestly. 

On 12/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, drscott266 said:

What’s everyone’s verdict on forgiveness compared to T100?  Initially I thought these were just distance based but people seem to be thinking they are much more forgiving but still slim. I concur with the looks for sure, just worried they are low spin bombers still a little bit. 

This photo shows two impacts, probably close to a full inch apart.  Yet both shots flew almost exactly the same distance, same height, same shape.  The forgiveness is good enough for me.20200723_165033-a.jpg.3cf0dbc6fcc0601a037fa1bee54da56c.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, plim123 said:

I always thought the T200 was the perfect blend of forged face, tech, head shape/size, stronger loft, and forgiveness. Apex(pro) is a perfect comparison, but never got as much love as their cally counterpart. 

Isn't the Apex Pro more in line with T100/T100s  though 🤔 

24 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Isn't the Apex Pro more in line with T100/T100s  though 🤔 

yeah, they don't line up perfectly. maybe the apex pro dot/double dot lines up better with the T100, but the regular apex pro is more like a weaker lofted apex. it's still more technology-packed and closer to T200 than T100s.

we're really splitting hairs here 😃

i think the way i see it is that you start on one end: blades, then cavity back versions of blades, but then you start chipping away at those cb version of blades with different levels of technology (face vs body, tungsten, mim, hollow body/filled, stronger lofts) before you get down to cast sgi irons. and each of those different levels can slot into any of the categories out there: players iron, players distance, game improvement, etc

but i think the bigger issue within the manufacturers is that they're starting to blur the lines lines between similar products. latest models, especially - T100 vs CB is becoming a smaller distinction (esp now that the T100s is out). And X forged vs Apex Pro - that line got so blurred that callaway technically discontinued the apex pro. (but that might just be temporary until they release the apex/apex pro 21 (or 22) line)

Edited by plim123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...