2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Which should I get ... GCQuad or X3? **80% outdoor use**

• 4 months later...

Before going with the Quad, I was in a similar camp. I could've purchased an X3 for $9k which would've been signficantly cheaper than what I paid for my Quad. I was able to borrow an X3 from a friend for a week and that was key. The easy of use of the GCQuad is impossible to beat - long battery life, you just plant it down and its ready to go within 15 seconds. No calibration, no adjustments, no moving it around much. What really annoyed me with the X3 was when I took it to driving ranges - setup takes 3-4 minutes - doesnt sound like much, but when you have kids at home and a busy life, it starts to matter. Overall, I just decided that radar would be too clunky for how I like it use it - plus, if i ever want to build an indoor sim, I have that great option with the GCQuad

On 9/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, m_w said:

Before going with the Quad, I was in a similar camp. I could've purchased an X3 for $9k which would've been signficantly cheaper than what I paid for my Quad. I was able to borrow an X3 from a friend for a week and that was key. The easy of use of the GCQuad is impossible to beat - long battery life, you just plant it down and its ready to go within 15 seconds. No calibration, no adjustments, no moving it around much. What really annoyed me with the X3 was when I took it to driving ranges - setup takes 3-4 minutes - doesnt sound like much, but when you have kids at home and a busy life, it starts to matter. Overall, I just decided that radar would be too clunky for how I like it use it - plus, if i ever want to build an indoor sim, I have that great option with the GCQuad

valid point.  As much as I love my X3, I too wrestle with time and there are many times I take it to the range and don't set it up because I am in a bit of a rush.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, m_w said:

you just plant it down and its ready to go within 15 seconds. No calibration, no adjustments, no moving it around much.

I don't know what you were doing that took so long, but I could say this is all it takes when I bring my Xi Tour to the range.  Well, maybe 20-25 seconds if the tablet was turned off before I put the radar down and I have to wait for it to boot up.

Edited by Stuart_G

13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I don't know what you were doing that took so long, but I could say this is all it takes when I bring my Xi Tour to the range.  Well, maybe 20-25 seconds if the tablet was turned off before I put the radar down and I have to wait for it to boot up.

Your Xi Tour doesn’t self-level/calibrate. I’m talking about the X3

2 hours ago, m_w said:

I thought that feature is exclusive to the X3 - my bad. Well the X3 I had to approx 90 seconds to be done with the process

No worries.  It does get faster the more you do it.   The only real difference is the X3 has an onboard camera that can be used to align the unit to the target line via the app.   The Xi Tour you'd have to place your phone or tablet on top of the unit to use it's camera.  But it's really easier and faster to just eyeball the alignment direction.

11 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Will somebody please detail the setup process for the quad? Specifically, how do you align it to be exactly on a flag that is say 200 yards away?

I'll say thou, I haven't seen anyone use it. Approximation with a regular alignment stick works just fine for me

Edited by m_w

On 9/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, m_w said:

I have had my quad a few months now and agree, it is definitely easier to setup. I was in the same boat as well where flightscope was going to give me a pretty hefty sum to trade in my Xi+ so the out of pocket for the X3 would have been 9k ish. For me not needing the 3rd party device is really nice as well. I use my phone and ipad to run mirror vision, so would not be able to do that with the X3 without yet another device.  100% happy with the quad and still have not setup the PC software yet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For more outdoor, I would suggest X3. 

I've compared X3 vs GCQuad briefly, and just obtained X3 in my hand last month. 

I will be testing side by side once my back gets better as I just suffered an injury. 

Flightscope X3 vs GCQuad Quick Comparison (As of August 2019) – LEO MODE's Reviews – Anchoring 'Only Facts' (home.blog)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:58 PM, m_w said:

I'll say thou, I haven't seen anyone use it. Approximation with a regular alignment stick works just fine for me

Somehow missed this back when you posted.

I'm struggling to understand how an eyeball alignment with the rod is anywhere near accurate enough?! Trackman lets you zoom in with the camera and align it to an exact point up to 400 yards away. If the rod is even slightly off of your target it's going to make a huge difference in club and ball data and I don't see how it's possible to align it accurately to a target 200+ yards away. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Somehow missed this back when you posted.

I'm struggling to understand how an eyeball alignment with the rod is anywhere near accurate enough?! Trackman lets you zoom in with the camera and align it to an exact point up to 400 yards away. If the rod is even slightly off of your target it's going to make a huge difference in club and ball data and I don't see how it's possible to align it accurately to a target 200+ yards away. 

Similar to a drive or long iron shot, you take an intermediary point to aim towards. The main thing is to hit towards that target - as long as you do that, the data will

be accurate respectively

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m_w said:

Similar to a drive or long iron shot, you take an intermediary point to aim towards. The main thing is to hit towards that target - as long as you do that, the data will

be accurate respectively

I understand that and it works for aiming your shot but how could it possibly be precise enough for horizontal launch and club data to be useful? I mean there is no way you can eye ball a 200+ yard target with an alignment stick and have it be accurate to the margin of error Quad advertises. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

I understand that and it works for aiming your shot but how could it possibly be precise enough for horizontal launch and club data to be useful? I mean there is no way you can eye ball a 200+ yard target with an alignment stick and have it be accurate to the margin of error Quad advertises. 

You are doting on a complete non-issue, golf is not a game of perfect and that level of "inaccuracy" is well within the noise of even the best golfers on the planet

Even if you pick a pretty generous 2yrd wide target at 200 yards, that represents a pointing  "error" of +/- 0.28 degrees. Do you really think that level of potential misalignment makes a huge difference when no golfer has a swing that repeatable? When even pga tour pros have dispersion patterns much much wider than that past 200 yards? Avg proximity from beyond 200yrds is 51ft, that means their actual dispersion pattern is realistically double that, or 30yrds+ wide. Even a swing robot have a dispersion circle wider than 2yrds at that distance due to a wide assortment of variables.

I also don't understand how it's any different than trackman's video alignment. The unit may be aligned to some feature, but the golfer must then properly align to some secondary target (or an alignment stick on the ground, just like quad). At that point you are still relying on "eye-balling" to trust the data

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post this for anyone like me who hadn’t used both. Gcquad has to have stickers on the club for indoor data on club. I have used Flightscope and trackman indoors and out but never a quad until recently. I was surprised to find out that without several stickers on the driver you couldn’t get all of the data. Just wanted to post this for info. Flightscope and Trackman need sticker on the golf ball or you can use the RCT Titleist  balls which work well from my experience 

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

On 2/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, sethdavidsdad said:

Just wanted to post this for anyone like me who hadn’t used both. Gcquad has to have stickers on the club for indoor data on club. I have used Flightscope and trackman indoors and out but never a quad until recently. I was surprised to find out that without several stickers on the driver you couldn’t get all of the data. Just wanted to post this for info. Flightscope and Trackman need sticker on the golf ball or you can use the RCT Titleist  balls which work well from my experience 

It does need the stickers but you can find some that work for cheap on ebay. Honestly once we all got used to them, we just left them on our clubs all summer as well.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

On 2/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, SnapHooker_307 said:

It does need the stickers but you can find some that work for cheap on ebay. Honestly once we all got used to them, we just left them on our clubs all summer as well.

Buy a roll of hvac tape and punch your own, costs almost nothing, works perfect.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Buy a roll of hvac tape and punch your own, costs almost nothing, works perfect.

Have you tried that? The HVAC tape worked well for my flightscope since it's metallic, different principle for the quad however, where reflectivity is more important than composition. I am still on my original roll of stickers so have not had to deal with that yet

I've used it on a GC Quad outdoors but mostly use it on a TM4 indoors. If I punched ten of them and put them on a table with ten of the "full priced" dots - I think there's no chance anyone could tell the difference in reflectivity. 

Well, I'll put it this way, since someone will clearly say they are a dot expert - I personally have had no issues with this method. 

• Like 2

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I've used it on a GC Quad outdoors but mostly use it on a TM4 indoors. If I punched ten of them and put them on a table with ten of the "full priced" dots - I think there's no chance anyone could tell the difference in reflectivity. 

Well, I'll put it this way, since someone will clearly say they are a dot expert - I personally have had no issues with this method. 

I still have a huge roll of metallic tape, so I will give it a shot.