TaylorMade bullet weights - approximate size

taiwangolfer

Can anyone tell me the approximate size of the TM bullet weights they use to achieve swing weight in some of their iron heads?  Looking to understand what aftermarket bullet weights might fit in the bottom of the bore. (Yes I have brass tip weights and know how to use them but want to explore this option as well)

Edited by taiwangolfer

Here are lower end and upper end examples for length. The top weight is 8g. It's about 0.425" in length. The bottom weight is 13.5g and about 0.9" in length. Both are right around 0.300" in diameter (my caliper needs a new battery, otherwise I'd give precise measurements).

Most of their weights that I've dealt with over the years have been around the length of the top one in my pic; usually a little longer, but normally in the 0.5" to 0.75" range. The bottom weight is what I've removed from the new P770 and P7MC. It seems they've gone with a little lighter heads and are using heavier weights to give them more SW range flexibility for builds. At least that's my interpretation.

One thing to notice that some of their irons, like the original P770, have had shorter hosels an the longer weight might not fit. But anything in a 0.5-0.75" range would work on all of the models I've worked with.

IMG_8969.jpg.6cc6c5d7c2d585eefb6dde6a19f21138.jpg

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

So in looking at the images Jim shared above and then at my P790 heads tonight I believe the shorter weight is designed to fit all the way down in the port so it finishes below the shaft tip. The larger weight appears to me to be designed to finish up into the shaft, thus avoiding the need for a tip weight - or at least that’s what I’m seeing...

john

Edited by taiwangolfer

Has anyone successfully ever tried taking these weights out of the P heads?  I have tried heat and drilling and they just don’t want to move. I do not want to heat it up too much or else you would destroy the speed slot or maybe even the foam inside the head. 

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

I have never taken them out. I bought heads with no shafts and a T serial and none of them have the weight added yet.

After exploring multiple options for aftermarket weights that would fit I’m leaning towards tungsten putty and brass tip weights if needed. 

I think you are right to be a little concerned about the impact of heat on the speed foam but don’t know for sure....

john

19 minutes ago, DoNDoN said:

Has anyone successfully ever tried taking these weights out of the P heads?  I have tried heat and drilling and they just don’t want to move. I do not want to heat it up too much or else you would destroy the speed slot or maybe even the foam inside the head. 

Yes, lots of them.  Wrap a wet face towel around the head and then use a butane hand torch to heat the hosel.  Takes alot of heat and once sufficient you will see smoke from the hosel and some crackle/poping...hit the hosel end on a hard surface and the bullet weight will come out.

Here is a 4g weight just removed from a P790Ti....

1279517736_TMhoselweight.jpg.f7c23799a1946af8b7a783a4ec643c7d.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

22 hours ago, taiwangolfer said:

So in looking at the images Jim shared above and then at my P790 heads tonight I believe the shorter weight is designed to fit all the way down in the port so it finishes below the shaft tip. The larger weight appears to me to be designed to finish up into the shaft, thus avoiding the need for a tip weight - or at least that’s what I’m seeing...

john

NO. The larger weight sits fully below the shaft in the hosel. TaylorMade irons have a hosel with two different sized bores. The top of the hosel is a tapered bore for .355" shafts. There is a small ridge where shaft insertion depth stops. Below this is a smaller bore for the hosel weights. The weights sit below the shaft and do not extend up into the shaft.

Edited by jll62
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

11 hours ago, DoNDoN said:

I've removed a bunch of them. They require a lot of heat, much more than you think is needed. If you're not careful, you can absolutely have heat travel into the head and cause issues with rubber components like the speed slots.

Follow BirdieBob's advice above. It's spot on. The wet towel helps keep the areas with rubber/foam cooler, and the trick is to wait until you've heard the adhesive crack/pop and you see some smoke start to rise up. Then you can tap the head and the weight will come out. TaylorMade doesn't use regular epoxy to seat the weights. It's more of a rubbery substance and it requires a lot of heat to release.

• Like 2

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

20 minutes ago, jll62 said:

NO. The larger weight sits fully below the shaft in the hosel. TaylorMade irons have a hosel with two different sized bores. The top of the hosel is a tapered bore for .355" shafts. There is a small ridge where shaft insertion depth stops. Below this is a smaller bore for the hosel weights. The weights sit below the shaft and do not extend up into the shaft.

Got it - thanks and that makes sense - the P790’s I have definitely have the shorter bore as there is less than 1/2” of space from the ridge to the bottom of the bore. 

23 hours ago, DoNDoN said:

When I removed them from P760’s, they took way longer than I expected too. About 8-10 minutes with a propane torch. Follow the instructions as posted above and they’ll come out. 

I went with tungsten putty. 3.5 grams tamped down into the TM weight port works perfectly. I broke it up into 3-4 small ~1g balls and dropped them in, used an old shaft with a brass tip weight epoxied in to tamp it down. Fits perfectly and gets the heads where I want them without needing big tip weights

john

• Like 2

8 hours ago, taiwangolfer said:

I went with tungsten putty. 3.5 grams tamped down into the TM weight port works perfectly. I broke it up into 3-4 small ~1g balls and dropped them in, used an old shaft with a brass tip weight epoxied in to tamp it down. Fits perfectly and gets the heads where I want them without needing big tip weights

john

Sure one can place weight down into the bottom of the hosel in various forms.  BUT, the issue is if one or someone else wants to change them!  Can you remove them with minimal effort?  Tip weights are much easier to remove I suspect.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Just for informational purposes, there's a couple of ways to get hosel weights out without using a ton of heat.  Sometimes just using a drill bit will work.  E-Z outs can work if you have them.  One of the most effect ways I have removed them is just using a drywall/wood screw.  Just predrill with weight with a small drill bit far enough in to get the screw to start.  Many times the torque of the screw going in will break them free, or just use the screw to embed into the weight and then use pliers or something to pull if they are stubborn.  Same trick can be used to removing things like hosel bore plugs in woods, etc.  Will save you guys some effort/risk of damaging other parts of the head trying to cook these things out of there.

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 2

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

59 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Sure one can place weight down into the bottom of the hosel in various forms.  BUT, the issue is if one or someone else wants to change them!  Can you remove them with minimal effort?  Tip weights are much easier to remove I suspect.

Good point - These are for me to use and I expect them to last 5-6 years and don’t expect to ever need to take the putty out so I’m not to worried.  I believe getting the putty out would be pretty easy if needed with a small drill.  The issue wasn’t tip weights so much as the lack of availability of bullet weights to fit the TM weight port. The anal part of me doesn’t like the idea of leaving the port empty and using a larger tip weight in the shaft, even though the logical part of my brain tells me I wouldn’t know the difference..

Even with the putty and no tip weights these are about D2, I am still using tip weights to get them to my preferred D4 🙂

john

8 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

Just for informational purposes, there's a couple of ways to get hosel weights out without using a ton of heat.  Sometimes just using a drill bit will work.  E-Z outs can work if you have them.  One of the most effect ways I have removed them is just using a drywall/wood screw.  Just predrill with weight with a small drill bit far enough in to get the screw to start.  Many times the torque of the screw going in will break them free, or just use the screw to embed into the weight and then use pliers or something to pull if they are stubborn.  Same trick can be used to removing things like hosel bore plugs in woods, etc.  Will save you guys some effort/risk of damaging other parts of the head trying to cook these things out of there.

I initially tried drilling out the weight plug. When that failed I went with propane heat and tapped it out. Unfortunately, the weight plug that I tried drilling out was almost impossible to get out. The other weight plug that I heated only came out much easier. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, raydens said:

Where can we buy this type of bullet weights? Thanks

That's the thousand dollar question.....

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

If you don't need too much weight, a viable option would just be to use a hosel bore plug in the bottom to seal off the bullet weight cavity and just use a shaft tip weight.  It's what I have done with Wishon heads, etc in the past.  Easier than filling with epoxy, etc.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played Titleist AP2 for 5 years and in the end of 2020 i got the TM P770. I ordered the exact same shaft, length, grip, tape etc. and the P770 feels a lot more heavy then my AP2. I guess TM really get some weighs in the heads. Thank you so much in this thread. I will change this bullit weights asap. Great forum and users here. Impressed and thanks! 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to know if anyone can tell me what weight are the weight slugs TM puts in their stock irons?

I have TM P7MC heads 5-PW that came with KBS Tour 120 shafts installed stock from factory.

I contacted TM customer service and can't get answer to what the weight of the slugs are. I'm putting in KBS Tour Lite 95 shafts , which by the way are a custom offering from TM.  Per TM the clubs are D3 for 5-9 and PW is a D4.

Per TM they don't use the term Tip Weights put they call them weight slugs.

Not concerned about taking out bullet weights, just want to get clubs to match to swing weights.

Thx for info ahead of time !!

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Jagall75 said:

Anyone know what metal is used for these weights?  Lead, tungsten??

Tungsten

Use SAKO Tungsten Bullet Weight for Fishing Lures.....they work perfectly.  They have lots of sizes, once you get to the 12 gram weights they likely won't fit.

You will never be able to source the TM weights unless you are in the Tour Van or have access to their Assembly line.

Edited by ignitewvu

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I have used old screwdriver/drill bits, shorts and longs. You can heat them up and pull them out if you need to also. Way easier than brass that fits exactly to ID of shaft.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter