Driver head recommendation - forgiving of "thin/low on face" contact

I play a Cobra F8 that I get great results with if I can hit the upper half of the clubface.  However, I, unfortunately, tend to miss frequently on the lower half of the face, which gives me a high-spinning shot that loses 30 yards or so.  I've read that it's known that the F8 is "spinny" low on the face.  Is there a head that is known to be particularly forgiving of that kind of miss?  Maybe a Speedzone Xtreme or Sim Max? 

Hit the PXG Proto + earlier this week.  In a range setting, I don't really have this miss and on the best hits, the F8 was more than competitive.  The PXG fitter said "stick with your gamer."

King Cobra F8 driver, 3w, 5w 
Callaway Rogue 21

PXG 0211 5-GW 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson Tuition Diagnosis first..check out some on line videos then get 2 or 3 lessons.👍No point in buy selling till you are closer too solving the Impact Issue.I use marker pen on Tee Balls too check Impact.

By raising,lowering tee, by moving ball forward...centre..back and by small Stance Changes

eg Square Open,Closed at Impact, you can improve the fault.

Its one of the 3 above too work on, plus Driver may be too long for you eg 46 inch

HowardsDriver Tuneup is Brilliant.Find the Link

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

21 hours ago, hanfrac said:

I play a Cobra F8 that I get great results with if I can hit the upper half of the clubface.  However, I, unfortunately, tend to miss frequently on the lower half of the face, which gives me a high-spinning shot that loses 30 yards or so.  I've read that it's known that the F8 is "spinny" low on the face.  Is there a head that is known to be particularly forgiving of that kind of miss?  Maybe a Speedzone Xtreme or Sim Max? 

Hit the PXG Proto + earlier this week.  In a range setting, I don't really have this miss and on the best hits, the F8 was more than competitive.  The PXG fitter said "stick with your gamer."

Start playing 3-woods of the tee box or find an older 250 to 350 CC driver.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 11/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, Red4282 said:

Yep regular SIM, the shallower face is a perfect recipe for more forgiveness on low strikes.

This. My buddy tees his Sim up only about half to 3/4 inch and gets some unbelievable results off the low face impact.  Personally I am a high toe draw player so it doesn’t suit my game. 

My 3 wood off the tee, when I hit it well, gets pretty close to the Driver.  I am thinking about the suggestion of getting a shallower face driver.  My favorite drivers have been deeper ones (TM R5TP, Cleveland Classic 290).  If the regular SIM is on the shallow side of average, that's a possibility.  If I could stay in the Cobra family, I would prefer that, all other things being equal.  I have an ascending blow, so teeing it way down and hitting down on it isn't my swing.

When will the SIM be replaced?  I'd hate to buy it at full price, only to have a new model announced over it a month later.

King Cobra F8 driver, 3w, 5w 
Callaway Rogue 21

PXG 0211 5-GW 
Callaway MD5 54/58
Odyssey O-works #7s