What's Happening with Golf in the UK?

In Scotland golf is open you can play 4 balls as long as the club has a "covid officer".  Clubhouses and pro shops closed but atleast we can play. 

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

In England, we've been placed under new lockdown restrictions until the middle of February, so golf courses are not open to any play until at least then. Note that this is England only; Scotland is still allowing play. I'm not sure about Wales, Northern Ireland or ROI.

4 hours ago, Ade_x said:

Yes, golf has stopped in the UK with the exception of Scotland where  you have to be local and a max 2 ball. Where were you planning to play?

Ha Ha. I was planning Askernish, Isle of Harris and Prestwick but that was last year. At this stage in Australia we are all locked up so not going anywhere for quite a while. But it's good to hear Scots can play some golf - probably the safest place to be is on a golf course.

• Like 1

This sums up the scene in England especially with Golf, While golf have been shafted into the rough for a 3rd time in a year, The UK Government have allowed Fishing/Angling to continue since they see fishing as exercise. Though I do fish myself (With my dad) I can't understand why people are allowed to travel to lakes, rivers and canals to fish and golfers can drive to their local course and can walk it but not with clubs and balls. Simply Mad

The cartoon is from Fridays Daily mail. 

20210108_124658.jpg

I live less than 3 miles from the Scottish border. Golf in England and Wales is not allowed and it is illegal for me to drive 8.5 miles to the nearest Scottish golf course. Ridiculous.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

• 1 month later...

Currently golf is due to resume on the 29th March. All golf courses and driving ranges will open then. I think you will be allowed to play a four ball, which is good, because courses will be busy and having lots of two balls can slow things down.

The golf courses in January struggled, even without people playing on them, as the weather was so bad in the UK. However, now the courses are looking in great condition, and most people are very much looking forward to getting back on the golf course. For those interested, here you can find every UK golf course. Hopefully soon, overseas golf tours and trips will also be allowed in Europe. 

Just 

11 hours ago, Rich2873 said:

Currently golf is due to resume on the 29th March. All golf courses and driving ranges will open then. I think you will be allowed to play a four ball, which is good, because courses will be busy and having lots of two balls can slow things down.

The golf courses in January struggled, even without people playing on them, as the weather was so bad in the UK. However, now the courses are looking in great condition, and most people are very much looking forward to getting back on the golf course. For those interested, here you can find every UK golf course. Hopefully soon, overseas golf tours and trips will also be allowed in Europe. 

Just a quick note that only driving ranges that are considered “outside” will be open. This does not include all ranges and can vary depending on local council’s definitions.

also, March 29th is when golf restarts (straight into 4 balls) but is England specific. Scotland haven’t announced further changes for golf up there and won’t until their next review in mid-March.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, DavidH88 said:

UK update: Wales allowed Golf Courses to reopen yesterday (13th March) which absolutely bonkers when England Golfers still have to wait till the 29th. >.< still a two week slog to wait it out if your a english golfer 

Well hopefully that’s a sign of good things to come. Still crossing our fingers were able to make our trip to Ireland late September.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 2 weeks later...

What do you UK people think. When will we be able to come over from europe? I won't get vaccine until the end of the year. but maybe with a negative pcr test? Will countries decide by themselfs? Or will the decision be made by the whole of UK? I am missing Scotland so much. First stop after covid: Machrihanish.

Edited by babyfade
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:40 PM, babyfade said:

What do you UK people think. When will we be able to come over from europe? I won't get vaccine until the end of the year. but maybe with a negative pcr test? Will countries decide by themselfs? Or will the decision be made by the whole of UK? I am missing Scotland so much. First stop after covid: Machrihanish.

I’d love to think it won’t be too long but realistically I’d be surprised if it happens before July. And then it’ll be restricted to people who’ve been fully vaccinated (and 3 weeks after the 2nd dose) imo. 
they may allow some travel with negative tests as well, but probably only from countries with lower levels of virus circulating. 
The U.K. government will bring in some rules, then the Scottish and Welsh governments will bring out their own (maybe even a few hours before, assuming they get given a heads up) that go a little further. 

I think The Open will almost definitely have fans in attendance this year. I know they’re pushing for it to be fully attended but I suspect it’ll be at a reduced capacity, or at least the grandstands will be socially distanced. Perhaps spread fans over the course more than usual. Probably more likely in England this year than if it was being held in Scotland.

I don’t know what restrictions there will be for international visitors by then, but certainly seems like holidays for Brits planning on going abroad are unlikely until at least late summer. Enforced 10 day quarantines for people coming here I think will be in place until July/August imo. As well as no travel at all from “red list” countries.

I’ve got a trip to Scotland in August, to St Andrews that got pushed from May 2020, to May 2021 and now August 2021. And I’m not 100% certain what I’ll be allowed to do by then, and I’m only travelling from England to Scotland....

I was planning to go in July/August, but that’s unlikely now. Might still be a good idea to book flights now, they’re still cheap and airlines have been generous with rescheduling policies. 

This would be year 2 with an overseas membership and not one round played. Mainly, I was looking forward to making use of the reciprocal arrangement my club has with Royal Dornoch. £ 12 for a round is just bonkers!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

7 hours ago, babyfade said:

ok thanks. but dont you think that by august the whole of uk (or at least everyone who wants to) should be vaccinated? so what reasons could there be to stop you travel nationaly? mutants?

I think there’s a good chance the majority will be vaccinated by then, but yes, I think the government will be concerned about the risk of people bringing in mutations from elsewhere. 
so much of it will depend on how the rest of Europe (and the World) have progressed with their programs.

I think there may be a sweet spot in July/ August here, where we are much closer to normal, but then things will get more cautious again as we near September/ October. 

like most of plan making atm, it’s only a risk if you’re financially liable for anything. If you get flights that are flexible or will be refunded if you can’t travel, and tee times that can be adjusted etc then it’s probably worth a risk from July onwards?

12 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I was planning to go in July/August, but that’s unlikely now. Might still be a good idea to book flights now, they’re still cheap and airlines have been generous with rescheduling policies. 

This would be year 2 with an overseas membership and not one round played. Mainly, I was looking forward to making use of the reciprocal arrangement my club has with Royal Dornoch. £ 12 for a round is just bonkers!

Is that Tain by any chance? Their reciprocal agreements are insane. 3 x rounds at RD for £12 a round. Your overseas membership pays itself back just for those rounds alone.

I personally think you should be ok for July/August. Every person in the UK will have been offered the vaccine by then. As @Oufcfan mentions the variants are the concern as well as Autumn approachiing. If you can afford to forgo a few hundred £s if airlines don't pay out then book it. Rescheduling also an option too. 

Edited by jonnymc44
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonnymc44 said:

Is that Tain by any chance? Their reciprocal agreements are insane. 3 x rounds at RD for £12 a round. Your overseas membership pays itself back just for those rounds alone.

I personally think you should be ok for July/August. Every person in the UK will have been offered the vaccine by then. As @Oufcfan mentions the variants are the concern as well as Autumn approachiing. If you can afford to forgo a few hundred £s if airlines don't pay out then book it. Rescheduling also an option too. 

Yes, Tain it is! Great course and a gem in the area. 

Thanks for giving me hope again...but it’s just super hard to predict anything now. I want to think late summer should be fine, but what do I know. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

20 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Yes, Tain it is! Great course and a gem in the area. 

Thanks for giving me hope again...but it’s just super hard to predict anything now. I want to think late summer should be fine, but what do I know. 

I was told about the Tain membership deal by a caddy when I played RD in 2019. I've posted about it a few times on here, still can't get over how good it is. Not just at RD but all the other courses in the reciprocal arrangement as well.

Fingers crossed for you for later this year.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jonnymc44 said:

I was told about the Tain membership deal by a caddy when I played RD in 2019. I've posted about it a few times on here, still can't get over how good it is. Not just at RD but all the other courses in the reciprocal arrangement as well.

Fingers crossed for you for later this year.

Actually, I just checked on their website again and I’m not sure if they’ve changed it or I just remembered it wrong, but it’s £20 for RD Championship and £12 for the Struie course. But still, phenomenal deal. 

The others, too: Brora, Golspie, Duffhouse, Fortrose & Rosemarkie, Durness...

I really hope it will work out, all the money I’d save on the greenfees could be put into a couple pints! 😁

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

• 3 months later...

England opening to US visitors very soon. Scotland makes it's own rules but news should be coming shortly.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG