Not your typical Orlando courses

donny dogtails

Hi Folks,

Starting to put together our fall 2021 trip to Orlando. Looking at different courses below but don't know much about them. Looking at other courses than the normal vacation courses around Orlando. Appreciate guidance and recommendations on the following.

Country Club of Winter Haven, Dubsdread, Red Tail, Deer Island, or your recommendation.

Willing to drive 45 minutes from Kissimmee.

Thanking you in advance.

Donny Dogtail

Red Tail is a good course, I played there a lot when I lived down there. I haven’t been down there in a few years, but it was always in good shape. 

Another good one off the beaten path is Rio Pinar. It used to host the PGA in the late 60s through most of the 70s then held an LPGA event from the late 70s until the early 80s. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

unless something has changed Rio Pinar's conditioning was miserable last time i played (about a year or so ago).

Dubsdread has an awesome bar or it used to pre Covid.

Winter Park 9 you should check out if you're up that way. 

Southern Dunes is a good track

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Dubsdread is very short and very narrow. Has an old 1950's / 1960's vibe. I played it once, that was enough probably. It is near winter park which has some great eats, high end stuff, but maybe not a pick for a "trip" if you know what I mean.

North Shore is a course near the airport, super close if you pay tolls on 417. Interesting course with a tale of two 9s. Front is "australian links" and the back is like parkland florida with super old giant live oak trees. Can hit up some nice places after in Lake Nona, or do 36 and get a round at Eagle Creek.

I have not been but maybe check out Providence Golf Club south of Kissimmie. Self-promoted as the having amazing greens. There's lots of reviews and photos on google maps to see for yourself. But hey, another option a bit further out of Orlando.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

46 minutes ago, jjthomp2 said:

unless something has changed Rio Pinar's conditioning was miserable last time i played (about a year or so ago).

That’s a shame to hear. I haven’t played there in a quite a few years. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Of the courses you listed, Southern Dunes would be my first choice by far. Red Tail would be my second choice, but depending where in Kissimmee you are the drive  could be closer to an hour than 45 minutes.  It would help to know what you like in a golf course. Do you have a budget in mind? Do you like tight tree lined courses vs courses with a lot of width; do you like undulating slick greens? Are you okay with lots of water in play?

The general consensus of most popular courses "normal vacation courses" within 45 minutes of Kissimmee,  include Bay Hill, Championsgate CC, OCN, Grand Cypress New, Reunion, Waldorf  and Disney courses. Of those Grand Cypress is the "least normal" for Florida as it is a faux links, wide fairways, pot bunkers and other links features although it doesn't really play like a true links

If you are looking for a few bargain courses that are not where the tourists flock to, besides Providence (which someone above suggested and is pretty good)  consider Highlands Reserve (wide fairways, elevation changes, not much water and intersting greens), White Heron (some tight holes,  lots of water, fast greens). If you want to drive a little further consider Eaglebrooke and Sandpiper (walkable, variety of holes, nice elevation changes to make things interesting and a couple good short par 4's.

Click on a photo for a full photo tour of each course:

Southern Dunes Golf Course (FL) 2021

Southern Dunes

Championsgate Country Club

Championsgate CC

Eaglebrooke Golf Course

Eaglebrooke

Grand Cypress - New Course

Grand Cypress New

Highlands Reserve Golf Course

Highlands Reserve

Providence Golf Club

Providence

Red Tail Golf Club - FL

Red Tail

Sandpiper Golf Course

Sandpiper

White Heron Golf Course

White Heron

Dear Sabram,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the above. Have you ever played or have comments on Country Club of Winter Haven? Not finding much info on that course.

Right now we have Southern Dunes (our favorite), Deer Island (new for us) Stonegate - Oaks, probably Red Tail and CC of Winter Haven. 

We're in our early 70's mid handicappers, not looking for extremely difficult courses but challenging and aesthetically appealing. We use to play 6,000 yard course but now 5,500 to 5,800. slope around 115-118. This gives us a course that's fun. Don't want be using 4 and 5 woods into par 4's.

Price $60 to $80 but willing to spend $100 for a very nice course.

From your list above we've played Southern Dunes, Grand Cypress New, Providence, Championsgate CC.

Thanks again,

donny dogtail

4 hours ago, donny dogtails said:

Dear Sabram,

Right now we have Southern Dunes (our favorite), Deer Island (new for us) Stonegate - Oaks, probably Red Tail and CC of Winter Haven. 

We're in our early 70's mid handicappers, not looking for extremely difficult courses but challenging and aesthetically appealing. We use to play 6,000 yard course but now 5,500 to 5,800. slope around 115-118. This gives us a course that's fun. Don't want be using 4 and 5 woods into par 4's.

Price $60 to $80 but willing to spend $100 for a very nice course.

Donny D - I'm almost 70 and also a mid handicapper. I haven't played CC of Winter Haven so can't opine on that one.  I've played Stonegate Oaks. It probably fits your criteria. The negatives are it's a very flat property and there are three or four really long cart rides between holes. You'll find tees for the yardage you want, the fairways are wide and the greens are in good shape. There is water on only a few holes and can be daunting on a couple of the par threes. It's not too expensive.  I think you might prefer Highlands Reserve or Sandpiper though. Eaglebrooke and Redtail are better courses and more scenic, but also more difficult, with Eaglebrooke having a lot of water in play and Red Tail having a few tight holes.

Someone else has mentioned the Winter Park 9 holer, which is really good and meets all of your criteria. 

Finally, If you are able to drive about an hour, the Deltona Club is really good and inexpensive. If you like Southern Dunes, I think you'd like Deltona. I've played there several times. It is usually in good shape, but not always... but great layout and great bang for the buck.

Stonegate @Solavita -Oaks Course

Stonegate Oaks

Winter Park Golf Course

Winter Park 9

Deltona Golf Club

Deltona

Edited by sabram
correct typos

Southern Dunes is typically a must play. Country Club of Winter haven is private I believe, played it once a few years ago,nothing spectacular.Royal Saint Cloud has been getting a lot of high praise lately.Red Tail is a course that's a little tough to play the first time, a few fairways end sooner then they appear to. Champions gate Country Club, not the resort, is well worth looking into.

Deer Island is a good choice, but man is it in the middle of nowhere.  Pack a lunch because if they're not serving food there the nearest place to eat is 20 minutes away.  

Bella Collina is probably something you won't care for the first time you play it.  I liked it after the 2nd time I played it.  It's extremely hilly and the hills are such that if you don't know what you're doing it can turn a good shot into a bad shot, quickly.

Rio Pinar hasn't been good in ages.  I was a member there for a little while and the old ownership stopped taking care of the course and then the superintendent lost their greens.  New ownership has never been able to pick up the pieces.  What has hurt the course the most is the neighborhood has taken a turn for the worst and mini-tour, LPGA and Korn Ferry Tour players basically stay in Palm Beach these days instead of Orlando.  

Providence Club is a good value course.  Nothing awesome, but generally a solid course for a good price and the pace of play is usually quite good.

Eaglebrooke is a favorite of mine.  Great design, particularly on the back nine.  Usually a very good price, decent conditions, a good pace of play.

I generally like Eagle Creek, but the pace of play is horrendous this time of year.  Same with North Shore.

Personally, I would replace Highlands Reserve.  If Legends at Orange Lake Resort is in good condition I think it's a big upgrade over HR.  Eaglebrooke certainly is, although it's longer than 45 minutes to get to.  Celebration may be your best bet overall.  It's far superior to HR and is nearby.  And it's just a short trip to downtown Celebration for food and drinks.

RH

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RichHunt said:  "Personally, I would replace Highlands Reserve" - I would agree totally.  Play Disney or one of the Orange County National Courses.  Deer Island is a personal favorite of mine.  And if you need a break from the water holes, you can play Kings Ridge in Clermont

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

Deer Island is a nice course but every time I’ve played it the course is really wet, plus I always lose a ton of balls. It has a couple huge gators, but I’ve never seen any deer there. I also like Mission Inn like Ish mentioned, plus they have 36 holes. Black Bear is another one to look at up north of Orlando, its pretty close to Red Tail. 

• Like 1

I played Red Tail on Monday, and their greens are awful.  I assume they had a pest infestation or just don't care to do maintenance.  I have played some bad courses over the years, but the greens at Red Tail were the WORST I have ever seen.  I would not recommend that course in the near future, and before Monday, I would have said it was one of the best on the outskirts of Orlando

• Like 1

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

If you can get on Winter Haven (it’s private) it’s an underrated golf course IMO. 

It’s more challenging than the yardage indicates and there are a number of holes right on the lake that are gorgeous. 

Ping G30 LS TEC Diamana 'Ahina 70x
Cobra Fly Z+ Blueboard 103x
Ping Anser hybrid, 17
Mizuno MP63 C-Taper X
Ping Gorge 52, 56, 60
Ping Redwood ZB