2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G400 Max vs the G425 Max

clemsontiger1

18 hours ago, DaRiz said:

I would assume at your swing speed literally anything will go further than the MAX with center face contact. The MAX is meant for people with low swing speeds, or people who can't find the center of the clubface. At 110-115 mph, you for sure can eek out another 10-20 yards, but you will 100% need a less forgiving club. You are playing the most forgiving, highest spin club of all time. Personally I would try a G400LST head, pop in on your shaft, and see if you don't get a couple pokes that go over 300 while still maintaining control. 

Thanks for the tip. I put the Hzrdus Black stiff shaft in my G400 Max and it helped a bunch--I just didnt know the driver was that tuned down in the distance department to maximize the forgiveness. There are at least 4-5 drives per round that I absolutely crush center face, right down the middle and when I check my golf watch after the round---I find out they only went like 260-270 where it feels like that ball should have been closer to 290 with how hard I swung and how clean I hit it.

Thats kinda why Im hoping the new G430 that comes out (I love PING and the turbs) has a little bit more pop behind it.

I will say I hit more fairways with the G400 than any driver I have ever owned--which is nice. I just wish I got max distance out of some of those perfect swings.

Edited by akronswitness

Hate to beat a dead horse but after 6+ months with the 425LST I am shorter than I was with the 400max, might be not hitting it as well or I just had a better combo with the 400 max. 

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

23 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Thanks for the tip. I put the Hzrdus Black stiff shaft in my G400 Max and it helped a bunch--I just didnt know the driver was that tuned down in the distance department to maximize the forgiveness. There are at least 4-5 drives per round that I absolutely crush center face, right down the middle and when I check my golf watch after the round---I find out they only went like 260-270 where it feels like that ball should have been closer to 290 with how hard I swung and how clean I hit it.

Thats kinda why Im hoping the new G430 that comes out (I love PING and the turbs) has a little bit more pop behind it.

I will say I hit more fairways with the G400 than any driver I have ever owned--which is nice. I just wish I got max distance out of some of those perfect swings.

Just to be clear. The driver is not "tuned down in distance", there is simply a tradeoff between spin and forgiveness. Many players (even lots of pros as someone mentioned above) play the MAX because they like the spin for control. If you want more distance you have to go less spin which means less forgiveness. The G400LST is the GOAT IMO because it is the best tradeoff in being low spin but still forgiving all over the face. The MAX is very much on one side of the spectrum 

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

19 hours ago, DaRiz said:

Just to be clear. The driver is not "tuned down in distance", there is simply a tradeoff between spin and forgiveness. Many players (even lots of pros as someone mentioned above) play the MAX because they like the spin for control. If you want more distance you have to go less spin which means less forgiveness. The G400LST is the GOAT IMO because it is the best tradeoff in being low spin but still forgiving all over the face. The MAX is very much on one side of the spectrum 

I find it astonishing we can put a man on the moon but cant create a golf driver that provides both forgiveness and distance 😉

On 10/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, golfwb said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but after 6+ months with the 425LST I am shorter than I was with the 400max, might be not hitting it as well or I just had a better combo with the 400 max. 

The G400 series was the greatest set of drivers Ping ever produced, IMO.  Long and forgiving.  The G400 LST was a nasty beast and the Max was also a monster.  That said, I moved on to a G425  and regret it at times.  Of course, you can't go back because those clubs are never quite the same once you get rid of them and try to replace them.  I am looking very forward to the G430 series.  The sound of Ping drivers never bothered me, so that's a non-issue.

4 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I find it astonishing we can put a man on the moon but cant create a golf driver that provides both forgiveness and distance 😉

We did. It is the G400LST, the pinnacle of human technological achievement 

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

On 10/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, Anser3 said:

The G400 series was the greatest set of drivers Ping ever produced, IMO.  Long and forgiving.  The G400 LST was a nasty beast and the Max was also a monster.  That said, I moved on to a G425  and regret it at times.  Of course, you can't go back because those clubs are never quite the same once you get rid of them and try to replace them.  I am looking very forward to the G430 series.  The sound of Ping drivers never bothered me, so that's a non-issue.

Very true about going back. I LOVED the G400 Max I bought shortly after launch. My favorite driver of all time. I got down to my lowest handicap. I had my best year by far in our men's league. I absolutely loved that club. So what did I do?  Got horny over the hype of the soon to be released Cobra Speedzone. I bought it in March 2020 (right before the pandemic hit) and STUPIDLY sold my G400 Max. I sold it to a WRXer who had regretted selling his G400 Max.

A few months into the Speedzone (and the joy of pandemic golf), I realized I made a big mistake. On a flier, I wrote to the guy I sold it to telling him I regretted selling it. He offered to sell it back to me for the same cost he bought it.  He said he couldn't find the same magic with it.

I got it back and it was clear she was still mad at me. The old magic we had was gone.  She was giving me the cold shoulder no matter how much a tried to smooth things over. I sadly realized it was truly over and sold her again. I was in the driver desert for 2 years before finally biting the bullet and getting another G400 Max from 2nd Swing.

It's not as magical as my original, but something about going through a third party limited the amount of G400 Max magic she lost.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

The LOVE is BACK!!!

I just returned to the GOAT after a couple of years of searching for something better than the G400 MAX. That quest was fun and I hit some long bombs, but the accuracy just want there. Had some great rounds and some real stinkers. In the end I decided I would rather hit fairways than bombs and decided to return to the best overall driver I ever had. I found one in new condition and decided to give her a fresh look and new shaft and she returned the love by hitting fairway after fairway. It was just like old times. Made the round so much easier. Did I hit every fairway? No but every drive was in play for a stress free round. I learned my lesson. No more chasing distance in a launch monitor, I sticking with my girl this time.

GOAT 2022.jpg

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShortSticks said:

The LOVE is BACK!!!

I just returned to the GOAT after a couple of years of searching for something better than the G400 MAX. That quest was fun and I hit some long bombs, but the accuracy just want there. Had some great rounds and some real stinkers. In the end I decided I would rather hit fairways than bombs and decided to return to the best overall driver I ever had. I found one in new condition and decided to give her a fresh look and new shaft and she returned the love by hitting fairway after fairway. It was just like old times. Made the round so much easier. Did I hit every fairway? No but every drive was in play for a stress free round. I learned my lesson. No more chasing distance in a launch monitor, I sticking with my girl this time.

GOAT 2022.jpg

The GOAT has some competition coming up, something about a G430. My G400 looks slightly nervous. Mighty fine e stick you have posted.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, DaRiz said:

I played this past weekend and was feeling it a bit so I decided to swing 120% a few times with everything I got. 3-4 of them I mishit badly, but on one of them I grooved it perfectly and drove the front of the green on a short 304 yard par 4. On another short par 4 that was 324 I was about 5 yards off the front of the green lol 

So apparently if I just try to go full hulk smash with the G400 Max I can touch 300. Barely, but it takes everything I got and a bit of luck that you square it up. The 50-60 year old guys I was paired up with were quite impressed haha Felt like my high school self a bit again with my driving distances 

My question is, when the scorecard says 304. Is that to the center of the green or the front closest edge?

Edited by akronswitness