G400 Max vs the G425 Max

clemsontiger1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, golfer55082 said:

not sure if it is applicable to other people but g425 Max seems to launch lower than prior versions for me. I have both 9 and 10.5 and cannot get good launch from the 9 degree head. I will keep the 10.5 degree which is a winner against a few others I tried - g425 Max 9, g410+ 9, g410+ 10.5, sim2 max 9 and 10.5. 

Certainly could be applicable to me. I had a G400 Max 10.5 that just kept going way too high. When I moved to the G410+ I went with the 9*.

I have not hit the G425 yet but it sounds like I should possibly put the 10.5 head back on the table. I'm assuming the lower spin keeps the launch down. I'm not a fast swinger, probably mid 90's.

I have the G400 Max, the G410+ and the G425 Max.

The G400 Max has the stock tour shaft (x-stiff) the 410+ and 425 Max I just have my Ventus shaft that I've used in both.

The G400 Max is excellent.  It does launch a bit high and it's not what I would call 'spinny', but when I get nearly 15* of launch getting 2,500 rpm is more than ideal.  

When I went to get fitted for Ventus at Fujikura HQ in 2019, they had me hit the G400 Max and they were telling me that they didn't think they should touch a thing with the G400 Max.  The numbers were really good and I was very accurate and consistent.

They didn't have a G400 Max adapter, but got me to try the G410+ with the Ventus because I insisted and we found fairly similar accuracy and consistency, but an added 12-yards in distance.

So I ended up getting the G425 Max because it was apparent that the idea was to create a G400 Max but with lower spin and launch.  This is very much true.  In fact, the G425 Max spins noticeably less than the G410+.  

However, it's not as accurate or forgiving as the G400 Max or the G410+.  My biggest issue with the G425 Max is that it's very hooky.  I even moved the adapter weight to the toe.   That helped with toe hits to a degree, but it's still a bit hooky for my tastes.  My guess is that the CoG must be more towards the heel, probably designing the club more for higher handicaps.

So I'm going to return my G425 Max and probably try the Callaway Epic Max LS and see how that goes.

RH

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

However, it's not as accurate or forgiving as the G400 Max or the G410+.  My biggest issue with the G425 Max is that it's very hooky.  I even moved the adapter weight to the toe.   That helped with toe hits to a degree, but it's still a bit hooky for my tastes.  My guess is that the CoG must be more towards the heel, probably designing the club more for higher handicaps.

So I'm going to return my G425 Max and probably try the Callaway Epic Max LS and see how that goes.

RH

How does the face angle sit, neutral or closed? I've seen some people reporting a closed face angle at address and some say it's neutral which makes me wonder if there is manufacturing variance (perhaps larger than usual).

Rick Shiels is usually a hook machine and he called it the straightest driver he's hit so maybe he got a neutral one.

5 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I have the G400 Max, the G410+ and the G425 Max.

The G400 Max has the stock tour shaft (x-stiff) the 410+ and 425 Max I just have my Ventus shaft that I've used in both.

The G400 Max is excellent.  It does launch a bit high and it's not what I would call 'spinny', but when I get nearly 15* of launch getting 2,500 rpm is more than ideal.  

When I went to get fitted for Ventus at Fujikura HQ in 2019, they had me hit the G400 Max and they were telling me that they didn't think they should touch a thing with the G400 Max.  The numbers were really good and I was very accurate and consistent.

They didn't have a G400 Max adapter, but got me to try the G410+ with the Ventus because I insisted and we found fairly similar accuracy and consistency, but an added 12-yards in distance.

So I ended up getting the G425 Max because it was apparent that the idea was to create a G400 Max but with lower spin and launch.  This is very much true.  In fact, the G425 Max spins noticeably less than the G410+.  

RH

Wow same boat g400max launches 16* and i spin it 2600

no low spin bombs but very playable for me

thanks For the review I def need something more anti left 

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

On 2/26/2021 at 10:15 PM, Tee1up4 said:

Too each their own, obviously... but... G425 for me and not even close. I was a huge proponent of G400 MAX. Apples to apples for Me Ventus Black in both. 1.8 index for reference. I didn’t think a driver could be more forgiving than G400 max. I was wrong. g425 is. Distance gained is marginal. Forgiveness is noticeably better for me believe it or not. 

I don't have a great driver swing but by watching some great repeatable swings on YouTube with these... I don't see the difference at all. 

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

On 2/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, Jlb123 said:

Ping sent you back a cracked driver?  Or they replaced it and just sent the old one back?

they replaced it and sent the old one back all together. 

hit a few times more to see how big the crack would grown and now it runs through the entire top. still hits great and solid yardages lol...

I was finally able to dial in the new 425 ended up sticking with the Tensei orange av 65. just had to set the the weight to draw as to standard to get somewhat of the same feel as my 400max.  now i can honestly say it is straighter than ever.  marginally better than my 400max set up but only because the sound is just so awful... I was thinking of doing hot melt but honestly scared that these pro shop guys have not a clue what they are doing or do a crappy job and completely ruin it. 

so i was considering opening up the hot melt port and stuffing some yarn in to see what the sound is like along with how the extra weight will affect the feel. And before anyone says anything about the yarn business i know it's stupid but it's the only way i can think of deadening the sound and reversible without out melt. Please let me know if there are better ways. 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, RichieHunt said:

My guess is that the CoG must be more towards the heel, probably designing the club more for higher handicaps.

I know for a fact that the MOI is highest with the weight in the draw position (heel).. and I *think* that means the CoG is heel side?

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

7 hours ago, Celeras said:

I know for a fact that the MOI is highest with the weight in the draw position (heel).. and I *think* that means the CoG is heel side?

That would make sense.  I did look at MGS 2021 Driver study and the G425 Max's shot dispersion did have a left bias.  That would also indicate the CoG is more towards the heel.

RH

20 hours ago, golfer55082 said:

So.... should us who play G425 max use fade setting to hit straight? 

You might have to.  However, I think it's more important as to what your typical miss is.  If you tend to miss it towards the toe, then the G425 Max may be problematic.

RH

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:35 PM, Celeras said:

On 3/3/2021 at 6:36 AM, RichieHunt said:

That would make sense.  I did look at MGS 2021 Driver study and the G425 Max's shot dispersion did have a left bias.  That would also indicate the CoG is more towards the heel.

RH

The 425 Max's CG is slightly towards the toe.  Spread out mass decreases twisting moment (meaning increased MOI), which is why having the weight in the heel on the 425 MAX results in the highest MOI.

If you are having hooking issues, make sure you have the hosel in one of the flat settings (especially if you have a shorter than standard shaft).  It is certainly possible that an individual driver may be particularly closed, but Ping in general is very, very good at matching spec (spec is square).  Another possibility is that Ping driver heads are heavy.  Most people, even using a CB shaft resulting in a similar SW, will feel the difference, which can certainly effect a persons swing mechanics until they adapt (some people will feel the head is 'behind', even when it's not, and slow down near impact allowing the face to close more).  This is especially noticeably when directly comparing with lighter than average heads (such as Callaway).  This is usually a temporary effect, most people will adapt to the weight differences (which are small) pretty quickly (minutes to days).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BackNineCollapse said:

The 425 Max's CG is slightly towards the toe.  Spread out mass decreases twisting moment (meaning increased MOI), which is why having the weight in the heel on the 425 MAX results in the highest MOI.

If you are having hooking issues, make sure you have the hosel in one of the flat settings (especially if you have a shorter than standard shaft).  It is certainly possible that an individual driver may be particularly closed, but Ping in general is very, very good at matching spec (spec is square).  Another possibility is that Ping driver heads are heavy.  Most people, even using a CB shaft resulting in a similar SW, will feel the difference, which can certainly effect a persons swing mechanics until they adapt (some people will feel the head is 'behind', even when it's not, and slow down near impact allowing the face to close more).  This is especially noticeably when directly comparing with lighter than average heads (such as Callaway).  This is usually a temporary effect, most people will adapt to the weight differences (which are small) pretty quickly (minutes to days).

Thanks.  I have my hosel set at -1.5* flat and the shaft is 45-1/8" long.

The only other thing I could come up with for the hooking, as you mentioned, was the face may be closed.  I took my Ventus shaft and put it back in my G410+ and everything was back to normal as far as ballflight goes.

RH

35 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

The only other thing I could come up with for the hooking, as you mentioned, was the face may be closed

RH, I am probably pointing out the obvious but will you consider using a 10.5 degree head and flat minus setting to loft down and essentially open the club face a bit? .... and even add a few grams of lead tape to slow down the head close ? 

Edited by golfer55082

Freezing in my area but got a warm day yesterday where I finally got to test the G425 Max w/ Tensei AV Orange Raw. Swing weight as C9-D0 because I have a midsize GP CP2 Wrap grip with 3 wraps underneath.

Coming off a G410 Plus w/ Graphite Design Tour AD XC. I used a lighter head-weight at 10g. I had this config to help drop all the spin I was getting. Roughly around 2700-2800 ( was getting around 3100 with stock config ). Also at SW C9-D0.

D0 is what I like my SW to be in my driver. Both heads are 9*.

The G425 Max launches lower than my G410 Plus did. The Apex is lower for me, and the spin is consistently about 300 rpm lower. I'm also finding it more efficient, get better smash factor numbers than I ever got with the G410 Plus.

It is loud though. A little louder than the G410 Plus. I couldn't detect this in the in-store bay. And it's a little too loud for me (at least at the range which isn't completely open).

The guy in the bay next to me said it sounded angry!

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

5 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

RH, I am probably pointing out the obvious but will you consider using a 10.5 degree head and flat minus setting to loft down and essentially open the club face a bit? 

No.  I'm going to keep my 410+.  Since I've got the 425 Max and I am still within the 90-day timeframe for returns, I'll probably exchange it for either a Callaway Epic Max LS or a Titleist TSI head.

RH

1 minute ago, golfer55082 said:

and

2 minutes ago, sshadow2 said:

The G425 Max launches lower than my G410 Plus did. The Apex is lower for me, and the spin is consistently about 300 rpm lower

This is exactly what I see too - Lower launch and spin in 425 Max than G410+. I normally play 9 degree head but have to use 10.5 head in 425 Max.

4 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

No.  I'm going to keep my 410+.  Since I've got the 425 Max and I am still within the 90-day timeframe for returns, I'll probably exchange it for either a Callaway Epic Max LS or a Titleist TSI head.

RH

I'll also be leaning on the 90-day return and will be testing out the Callaway Epic Max and Max LS as well.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

Did the driver fitting again (free one at PGATSS). They taped up the face this time around. I didn't realize I was so all over the face in my strikes. Says a lot for the forgiveness as I didn't detect really any distance loss while on the range or on the monitor.

I swapped out for a Callaway Epic Max where I kept hitting the same spot on the head...easily.

The G425 Max did what I needed it to do...be better than the G410 Plus (and 400 Max) for me. It just wasn't the best for me in this generation of drivers.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

After a few weeks with the g425 max, I'm finally making it work.  Not as well as the 400 max, but hitting many more fairways now and seeing some distance gains.  Nothing huge, but best drives are about 10 yards longer than the 400.  For some reason I was hooking the g425 initially so i've been setting up opening the face a bit and balls are going straight with some slight fades.  The sound has become much more tolerable as well after 'break in'

I just finished the U try with the 425 Max.   Luckily I had a few of my favorite shafts in the adapter from my 410 LST to try in it.  It is good, however I will be echoing some of the others in here.

I had a good shaft for it spin wise, but nothing good or where I like dispersion wise.  I found it more forgiving than the 410 LST I still have in my backup bag.  I never found it as forgiving as the 400 MAX in my main bag.

The bees knees to say for me has been the Ventus velocore "Purple" in my 400 MAX.   My dispersion is even better and my spin has come down due to better delivery and consistent contact(from the shaft) and it's overall lower spin characteristics.  The Tour 70 had been my best shaft in the 400 MAX(I was a huge UST fan boy for A LONG TIME) and the chrome just fits me very well.  However the Red tipped 2 inches has allowed me to hit center top right just a smidge (where the 400 MAX is really hot, and I think most drivers are hotter there) more often.  My spin is still a smidge high, but launch has come down where I want it, and I am getting a few more yards without an almost unplayable ball-flight into the wind.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

9 hours ago, kekoa said:

After a few weeks with the g425 max, I'm finally making it work.  Not as well as the 400 max, but hitting many more fairways now and seeing some distance gains.  Nothing huge, but best drives are about 10 yards longer than the 400.  For some reason I was hooking the g425 initially so i've been setting up opening the face a bit and balls are going straight with some slight fades.  The sound has become much more tolerable as well after 'break in'

Is this the club breaking in or your ears?🤣

• Haha 2

Have you tried the fade setting?  I have an inside out swing, and was fighting a hook with my Sim Max which forced me to set up with the face slightly open.  My hook is less pronounced with the G425 in neutral.  But just tried the fade setting on the weights yesterday (also have it in the first flat setting), and wow.  Balls were flying straight, with maybe a slight right bias.  Didn't really believe the weights did much, but for me they've been great so far.

I really don't have much to add, here. I loved the G400 and G400 Max and presently waiting on the G425 Max, which I ordered a few weeks ago. Really interested in how the Alta Stiff will perform in the G425 head - compared to the gaggle of other shafts I'll be testing.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

• 1 month later...

I am hitting bombs with the G Max 400. I started releasing the arms right, and am getting out there like never before. Plus the TFC 419 shaft has been a real winner. My playing partner doesn't get it past me like before. Not changing drivers, this area is covered well.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 2 months later...

I’ve never seen a thread with so many strong, diametrically opposed opinions that didn’t involve politics. To sum everything up, go hit these two drivers yourself because there’s no consensus here. 

In aggregating various opinions...

- The 425 is too left bias

- The 425 will only go straight

- The 425 is too right bias

- The 425 is 300-400 rpms lower spin than the 400

- the 425 is 600 rpms higher spin than the 400. 
- I will be staying with the 400

- I will be switching to the 425

😳😳😳

this was the first year I even hit a “max” style head after playing an R9, Vapor Fly Max, M5, 400lst and 410lst. Then I finally hit a 400 max that I had lying around and it’s been more consistent than ever. I just know I’m spinning it a lot. Wondering if either the 425 max or some other max style head might offer similar forgiveness but bring down the spin a touch? Oh well, I guess I’ll have to see for myself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max is the longest and most forgiving driver I've ever played. I paired mine witha Rogue 125 MSI 70 x and had no spin issues.  Just teed it high and let it fly.  

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2