Why is the Vokey F grind "the most played sand wedge on tour"?

cw1209

On 2/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, cw1209 said:

Couldn't help but notice a Vokey F grind sand wedge (56.14F) won today. Nice win for Max Homa. Every other grind seems to add more versatility compared to the "simple" F grind. Some will be tempted to say "bounce is your friend" and the Vokey F grind sand wedge (54* or 56*) has the most bounce at 14*. Maybe it is that simple. At the same time, if you pick up a D (12*) or S (10*) grind and set them on the ground to compare it to a F grind, the leading edge of the F grind sits as close (or closer) to the ground than D or S. I get that not having any trailing edge relief adds to total effective bounce. My understanding is that trailing edge relief 1) helps keep the leading edge close to the ground when opening the face and 2) provides less resistance through the ground. Is there a situation where trailing edge relief is counter productive? I have played the M,S, and D grind for my sand wedge, but never F. Didn't seem to provide any advantage over the other grinds?

Are you steep or come in shallow. Players who take a divot may want more bounce to escape the bunker. I come in shallow/neutral and play the shaft a little behind the club head and let the club head pass the hands on bunker shots to use the bounce. Why? Because on a SW and LW, I want it to sit close to the ground on most shots and set up fairly neutral with higher lofted wedges - my hands are even with the club head. I play the ball in the middle or forward. I don't want that full sole in 50-60. When I see a pro not be too creative, I wonder if they are using that full sole and playing it safe.

But aggressive pros want that bounce - it won't stick in the sand. But in today's bunkers, those which are not kept well with Covid, lesser bounce because lesser sand does well with less bounce. And since you're not in bunkers that frequently (my guess), get the bounce/grind that fits your swing and allows you to use your creativity outside of them.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 2/22/2021 at 6:30 AM, North Butte said:

I think the Vokey tour van guys can start from an F-grind and then customize it just about any way the player wants. So it's possible that many of the F-grind sand wedges on tour start out "Full" but then have a specific type of trailing edge, heel or toe grind treatment that the player prefers over the grinds that make us the S or M or D. 

Alternatively, even though I'm as far from a Tour player as you'll ever see I find that F-grind wedges are just about the best wedges around for full-swing approach shots and they also work better for me out the sand than any other Vokey grind I've tried (including the K). So maybe a lot of Tour players place a large priority on full-swing performance in their SW. I'm just speculating, of course.

The downside of an F-grind out of heavy or wet sand or out of very thick rough is you need a LOT of strength and clubhead speed to really zip the club under ball with the face opened up and that heavy trailing-edge engaged. I struggle with that a lot but I doubt it matters much to most tour players who are really strong with more than ample clubhead speed.

Thanks for this. Very interesting! 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@A1) Ventus TR Blue 6TX

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

Not sure if this applies to most of the pros today, but at least for me (39 year old) the F and S grinds work the best for me. And I think the reason why is that I learned to play with Cleveland 588s and pretty much all of those were an F style grind. I hit (well, attempt) a lot of different shot around the green and have always done so with pretty minimal grind work done to the soles. Just a hypothesis as to why there are so many F grinds on tour. 

Taylormade Qi 10 LS 8* Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Qi 10 Tour 3 Wood Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 19* Hybrid Tensei Black 95X

Ping G430 22* Hybrid Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Taylormade P790 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Taylormade MG4 48* HiToe 3rd Gen 54, SM9 60T KBS Tour 120

LAB Mezz Accra shaft

Lots of good points here. 

the main reason is many pros use the Vokey 46 or 48 as their PW, then They have a F grind gap wedge.  So two of the wedges are F by default. The only question is if the SW is F, or S like Spieth uses.  Then the L wedge is whatever works for their swing. 

Edited by dlygrisse

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 9:41 PM, Judge Smails said:

Reviving this from the depths as someone who just snagged a tour issue 56 F.  

I've been having so much success with my 50 F on a variety of shots (and 60s lob) but just haven't dialed in the sand wedge slot.  I had borrowed a friends bag last year and it had a 58D in it. Used it all day with great success.  So, first I bought a 58D which has yet to arrive.  However, after realizing I am so solid with the 50 F and seeing the surprising number of players on tour who rock the F in 54 or 56 I couldn't resist an over-priced tour issue SM7 56F on the bay!  My mine driver in pulling the trigger is that I never ever ever open up the face on my 54-56 wedge.  I almost exclusively use it for pitches and chips in the 60-20 yard range. 

Will report back once I've put the wedge through the paces...

Well We’re waiting

I've been having so much success with my 50 F on a variety of shots (and 60s lob) but just haven't dialed in the sand wedge slot.  I had borrowed a friends bag last year and it had a 58D in it. Used it all day with great success.  So, first I bought a 58D which has yet to arrive.  However, after realizing I am so solid with the 50 F and seeing the surprising number of players on tour who rock the F in 54 or 56 I couldn't resist an over-priced tour issue SM7 56F on the bay!  My mine driver in pulling the trigger is that I never ever ever open up the face on my 54-56 wedge.  I almost exclusively use it for pitches and chips in the 60-20 yard range. 

Well We’re waiting

• Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 6:43 AM, DShark1 said:

Well We’re waiting

Haha.

I went a little crazy at the end of the year and purchased F grinds in 54 and 56 and an S in 56.  I already had the 54 S.  The winner for me was the 56 S-grind.  I certainly haven't made a final decision but that's what was in the bag at the end of the year.  I found I don't swing as hard on the sand wedge shots, and clip them a bit more than I would with a pitching or gap wedge.  The S helps with that. 

The SM7 46F is still easily planted in "favorite club in the bag" territory.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been having so much success with my 50 F on a variety of shots (and 60s lob) but just haven't dialed in the sand wedge slot.  I had borrowed a friends bag last year and it had a 58D in it. Used it all day with great success.  So, first I bought a 58D which has yet to arrive.  However, after realizing I am so solid with the 50 F and seeing the surprising number of players on tour who rock the F in 54 or 56 I couldn't resist an over-priced tour issue SM7 56F on the bay!  My primary thought in pulling the trigger is that I never ever ever open up the face on my 54-56 wedge.  I almost exclusively use it for pitches and chips in the 60-20 yard range. 

Adding some comments to reflect on my experience with the 56F.

I have tried all kinds of combos this year.  My usual 50F, 54S and some kind of Lob Wedge (always changing). Then, I was full on that my new SM9 52.12 and a 58V grind was all I would ever need.  The problem with this combo was no high/low, just two high bounce wedges and nothing to "nip" the ball with.

I pulled some old favorite S grinds, a 56S (which might be my favorite of all time) and a 60S (which was wonderful for chipping, and the 56F (bought last year that has never even been played in a "real" round).  My first thought was how good the 56F was a on full shots and how the 56S was a very close second, but with some added versatility.  For the last few weeks the 56S won the battle and has been the star of my bag, but that was paired with a 58V which doesn't make a ton of sense.  Now, I've decided to give the tried and true 60S a run and pair it with the 56F for a true "high/low" set up.  I hope the shots off tight lies I've really dialed in with the 56S will be just as good with the 60S, and that I will also have the 56F for full shots and soft sand.  I usually use a 60 out of the bunker, which is a strength of my game, so we shall see how the 56F/60S combo treats me...

All this experience leads me to better understand why the pros play the F.  These guys are hitting full sand wedges all the time, and any touchy green side shots around the green are always with the 60. (Usually a T, and for me the S is basically a poor man's T.). There is no question that the F works better for a full swing.  No question.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby