Junior Female Golfers

Hi dads! Curious if you guys are in the same boat as me.. I have an 11 year old daughter that is currently in various tourney associations and doing very well. How far is your daughter driving the ball (total, not carry) I’m trying to get an idea if she is on par (pun intended) or if we need to step it up. Good luck to your kiddos! 

First off as a dad with a few girls who plays the main thing is they like golf. Let them be kids. 

As far as carry should be driving between 150-200 yards with roll.  The distance can vary a lot a kid who hits it 160 might hit it 200 in Texas because of the hard fairways.

don’t worry about they place just have fun if they like golf step it up but don’t over do it either what an 11 year scores doesn’t matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I don't know @tiger1873 if a girl isn't hitting it well past 225 at 11 then there's few events she'll be able to compete in.  Probably best to just play local stuff and focus on education.

I don’t think you want to be an Alexa Pano now that she is older she seem to be having problem breaking 80 when it matters.

kids at 11 just need to focus on getting better not trying to play a women’s open

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:03 AM, Firetruck11 said:

Hi dads! Curious if you guys are in the same boat as me.. I have an 11 year old daughter that is currently in various tourney associations and doing very well. How far is your daughter driving the ball (total, not carry) I’m trying to get an idea if she is on par (pun intended) or if we need to step it up. Good luck to your kiddos! 

A lot of this will vary based on how quickly a girl matures

Might be more useful to check back when she and all her peers/competitors have stopped growing

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:03 AM, Firetruck11 said:

TBH she is 11.  Ensure she has fun.  The distance will come eventually.  You only drive 14 times.  I would worry about her short game and ball striking.  But again she has to want it and it needs to be fun.

My golfing son is way out of my league and he is preparing for college.  I play these days with my daughter.

If I showed you a video of her from 2 years ago.  You would laugh.  Alot can change good or bad.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:42 AM, tiger1873 said:

My issues with pano is not with her play but how she has been treated. It well documented the abuse and she hasn’t performed well in a while.

Unfortunately she has had a lot bad choices made for her by parents. 

Alexa's parents are divorced...so it's her Dad Rick who has been raising her.

Yes....Alexa was hyped by the media and I agree she hasn't done much lately....she's now #72 in WAGR rankings.

I know it's only 1 result this year and she's only 16.

At Gainbridge, she finished DFL with 85 + 80 and had a 220 driving avg

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/gainbridge-lpga/results

Typically only the top 5 women's Am's have a legit shot to qualify for the LPGA....how long they keep their card is another question.

It's tough to make it and stay on the LPGA and PGA tour......GOLF IS TOUGH.

Look at another hyped past WAGR #1.....Hannah O'Sullivan....past US Women's Am Champ in 2015.

No longer on Duke's team.

In 2018-2019, played in 3 events....never broke 80 with some 90 & 91 scores.

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-golf/roster/hannah-o-sullivan/15639

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, Firetruck11 said:

You focus on carry....course conditions will affect total distance a lot

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, Firetruck11 said:

At 11 years old you shouldn't really be worrying about distance. It will either come or it won't once they grow and develop. Plus I'm not really sure what you mean by "step it up". Putting an 11 year old in a weight room and pumping her full of protein shakes isn't going to be good for anyone.

Your focus right now (aside from just making sure she's enjoying herself) should be on short game. If she can beat people around and on the greens then she'll be miles ahead of her competition in a few years. She'll need those skills long term regardless of whether she's blowing it by people with her driver or not.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

Not quite in the same boat but perhaps some day.

As the Dad of a 5yr old who is showing budding interest in putting with me and knocking around a US Kids yard club, I really appreciate the advice in this thread to just let them have fun first and foremost.

1. Let him drive the cart.

2. Sand Angels in the bunker

3. Rolling down fairways.

4. Mix in some putting comps.

He will tell you when he is ready.  Until then FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Alexa's parents are divorced...so it's her Dad Rick who has been raising her.

Yes....Alexa was hyped by the media and I agree she hasn't done much lately....she's now #72 in WAGR rankings.

I know it's only 1 result this year and she's only 16.

At Gainbridge, she finished DFL with 85 + 80 and had a 220 driving avg

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/gainbridge-lpga/results

Typically only the top 5 women's Am's have a legit shot to qualify for the LPGA....how long they keep their card is another question.

It's tough to make it and stay on the LPGA and PGA tour......GOLF IS TOUGH.

Look at another hyped past WAGR #1.....Hannah O'Sullivan....past US Women's Am Champ in 2015.

No longer on Duke's team.

In 2018-2019, played in 3 events....never broke 80 with some 90 & 91 scores.

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-golf/roster/hannah-o-sullivan/15639

Being 16 and 72 in WAGR is an amazing achievement.  I can assure you she drives the ball further than 220 (they only take data on two holes).   Pano has a bright future and will be fine. 

Admittedly, I’ve watched very few 10-12 year old girls recently but saying they need to be hitting it 225ish seems like a huge exaggeration. I’ve been around a current Stanford and Clemson player and they hit it 235-260. 

For reference, 250 avg is top 100 on the LPGA tour. 

Focus on the swing and overall game. Stressing about distance Before puberty and maturity won’t help much in the long run. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Admittedly, I’ve watched very few 10-12 year old girls recently but saying they need to be hitting it 225ish seems like a huge exaggeration. I’ve been around a current Stanford and Clemson player and they hit it 235-260. 

For reference, 250 avg is top 100 on the LPGA tour. 

Focus on the swing and overall game. Stressing about distance Before puberty and maturity won’t help much in the long run. 

Daughter plays with a girl in the 2025 class (From the philly area).  She is a legit blue chip kid.  Best junior golfer I've ever seen.  She kills the ball off the tee.  She took lines the last tournament I thought for sure she couldn't carry.  I never measured but my daughter is probably 190 on good days.  This other girl is probably 220 or so.  The young lady I am speaking of carried it 50 yards at least past her.

3 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Daughter plays with a girl in the 2025 class (From the philly area).  She is a legit blue chip kid.  Best junior golfer I've ever seen.  She kills the ball off the tee.  She took lines the last tournament I thought for sure she couldn't carry.  I never measured but my daughter is probably 190 on good days.  This other girl is probably 220 or so.  The young lady I am speaking of carried it 50 yards at least past her.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNI_Hglbig/?igshid=1m2bmqodsqixn

shes a 2027 and can hit it 250 (220 plus carry).

The top 2025 girls are swinging around 100 mph and capable of 240+ yards carry.  

Distance shouldn’t be the only focus but it’s certainly a massive advantage.  For girls, 11-13 years old is THE MOST CRITICAL TIME to work on/develop speed.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNI_Hglbig/?igshid=1m2bmqodsqixn

shes a 2027 and can hit it 250 (220 plus carry).

The top 2025 girls are swinging around 100 mph and capable of 240+ yards carry.  

Distance shouldn’t be the only focus but it’s certainly a massive advantage.  For girls, 11-13 years old is THE MOST CRITICAL TIME to work on/develop speed. 

Very few girls 2025 can carry 240plus if you look at LPGA numbers they include roll.

you placing them in the top LPGA driving distance which is not happening at that age. 

At most there probably 240-250 average with roll. 

Average is very different from peak.  Most people need to care more about there worst drive during a round then there best drive.

7 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Very few girls 2025 can carry 240plus if you look at LPGA numbers they include roll.

you placing them in the top LPGA driving distance which is not happening at that age. 

Average is very different from peak.  Most people need to care more about there worst drive during a round then there best drive.

I know how LPGA Tour gets driving distance. It also includes shots not hit with a driver for the longest players.   I’m not making a statement based on hearsay or guessing.  I’ve literally witnessed and in some cases measured their data.   I’m not placing them in the top LPGA Driving distance, more like above average with clubhead speeds in the 97-100 mph range and ballspeeds in mid 140s-150ish.   And I said the top, I didn’t say many, in fact that’s the opposite of what I said. I also said capable, not that they do it every time.  

Sofia at 11 is at LPGA tour average with driver and is longer than LPGA average with irons.  I’d need both hands to count off the top of my head elite 2025 girls who are 97+ mph consistently with driver.  I’m sure there are plenty I don’t know.   I have a 2023 who can swing it 105+ (AJGA All American) and was swinging it 97+ as an 8th grader.  I’ve been doing this a long time and have been working with radar based launch monitors since 2006 when they were first introduced.  

16 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

I know how LPGA Tour gets driving distance. It also includes shots not hit with a driver for the longest players.   I’m not making a statement based on hearsay or guessing.  I’ve literally witnessed and in some cases measured their data.   I’m not placing them in the top LPGA Driving distance, more like above average with clubhead speeds in the 97-100 mph range and ballspeeds in mid 140s-150ish.   And I said the top, I didn’t say many, in fact that’s the opposite of what I said. I also said capable, not that they do it every time.  

Sofia at 11 is at LPGA tour average with driver and is longer than LPGA average with irons.  I’d need both hands to count off the top of my head elite 2025 girls who are 97+ mph consistently with driver.  I’m sure there are plenty I don’t know.   I have a 2023 who can swing it 105+ (AJGA All American) and was swinging it 97+ as an 8th grader.  I’ve been doing this a long time and have been working with radar based launch monitors since 2006 when they were first introduced.  

Sounds like the speed/distance revolution is coming to the LPGA tour in future, with Tavatanakit giving us a taste of the future this weekend.

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

@iteachgolfdid say "The top 2025 girls are swinging around 100 mph and capable of 240+ yards carry."  

He didn't say half, and he didn't say top 25%--my take is he means like 1% of the class of 2025, or thereabouts.

What if I told you there was a class of 2028 female World Champ driving hitting 220-yard hybrids? 

There are some girls out there with freakish power, and one of them is a 2025 girl Palm Beach county.

Of course, this isn't normal and shouldn't be treated like such.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, tiger1873 said:

My issues with pano is not with her play but how she has been treated. It well documented the abuse and she hasn’t performed well in a while.

Unfortunately she has had a lot bad choices made for her by parents. 

Golf, is a very small sport. It saddens me to read a comment like the above because it usually comes from a very envious or jealous parent.

I've officiated junior and amateur golf many years, know Alexa and her Dad well, and have many friends who speak highly of them and can say your comments baseless. While her Dad keeps to himself, hard to get to know well, he's a very intelligent man who knows the game well.

I recently watched Alexa on Golf Channel interview, where she admitted struggling a few months due to swing changes, many do. It reminded me of another favorite, Rachel Heck who dropped down a few months, but now is hottest player in college golf.

Lastly, I'm an adult, who reads comments a ton, but wonders what drives adults to come after minors???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDee1935 said:

Golf, is a very small sport. It saddens me to read a comment like the above because it usually comes from a very envious or jealous parent.

I've officiated junior and amateur golf many years, know Alexa and her Dad well, and have many friends who speak highly of them and can say your comments baseless. While her Dad keeps to himself, hard to get to know well, he's a very intelligent man who knows the game well.

I recently watched Alexa on Golf Channel interview, where she admitted struggling a few months due to swing changes, many do. It reminded me of another favorite, Rachel Heck who dropped down a few months, but now is hottest player in college golf.

Lastly, I'm an adult, who reads comments a ton, but wonders what drives adults to come after minors???

Her former coach put a lot comments out there on his his Facebook page.  It is almost certainly true what he said and I based my comments off that.  Her dad is very aggressive with her. 

I don’t agree with the coach going public with all the information but he did and in some ways I understand why he might have felt the need to.  A lot girls take a lot bs from parents it isn’t right and not helpful. I don’t think he liked what he seen and just couldn’t take it anymore.

Also her Dad has put her out there since she was a very young kid. He also stated her desire to go pro instead of college.  They also seek attention as much as possible. So we are not talking about a random minor.  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

I officiated the US Girls Championship where incident happened. So can state what I know as report was filed by player, seen by every official.

Coach was caddying for player. Player fired caddy on course. Parent was not nearby. Player asked officials that coach not be allowed back on premises, and her story confirmed by other players, as she was visibly upset at his behavior. Parent knew nothing about what happened.

Since then, I've heard similar from 2 current college players who left coach while in their teens, not blatant, but uneasy feelings they'd had.

So, anyone can post anything they want, is a free country. While I haven't seen his post, bet story is different?

The few conversations I've held her Dad, he'd mentioned wanting her to get advanced degree, so not sure when you spoke with them.

13 hours ago, JDee1935 said:

Rachel Heck, for those not following college women's golf, just won the Fresno Classic event by six shots against a very good field.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, JDee1935 said:

I officiated the US Girls Championship where incident happened. So can state what I know as report was filed by player, seen by every official.

Coach was caddying for player. Player fired caddy on course. Parent was not nearby. Player asked officials that coach not be allowed back on premises, and her story confirmed by other players, as she was visibly upset at his behavior. Parent knew nothing about what happened.

Since then, I've heard similar from 2 current college players who left coach while in their teens, not blatant, but uneasy feelings they'd had.

So, anyone can post anything they want, is a free country. While I haven't seen his post, bet story is different?

The few conversations I've held her Dad, he'd mentioned wanting her to get advanced degree, so not sure when you spoke with them.

I personally think it very unprofessional that a coach talk about a student in bad light anyway in public.  A lot girls Dads  though need to lighten up their kids. Most them couldn't break 90 if they wanted to but will yell at their kid who misses a 15 foot for birdie or just simply has a bad shot

Also more then one coach has said they will not teach her from my understanding..Honestly I think we are talking about 2 different coaches because I know nothing about US Junior Girls Issues and the post mentioned nothing about that. 

I am about 99% sure what the coach posted is True. I am not even sure it still posted but I we have all heard the rumors as well for a long time I only mentioned Pano but there are some others that are worse.  Her Dad needs to get off her bag and let her lean to enjoy the game again. If he doesn't I don't see long term success.

There are rumors some clubs will not let her and her dad on the course to practice. Don't know if that is true but seems to keep coming up.

Obviously this not everyone but I know more then 1 girl who is highly ranked who most likely will just quit playing once they old enough and actually get away from under their parents. 

Edited by tiger1873

20 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Rachel Heck, for those not following college women's golf, just won the Fresno Classic event by six shots against a very good field.

Rachel is one of my all time favorites, watched her since she was 12 become a really good player. Right now, she's 1 more strong finish from being College POY, or heavily in conversation.

She's another example of strong player, who took some steps back, made some long term changes, struggled and took some lumps for some time, and came back a much much stronger player. All the great ones do that.

• Like 2