am freaking out a little. Help me out here

I am about an 11 handicap. I have played some Ping e1 irons for the past 5 years. I got fit for these irons as I was getting more serious about golf and my swing has changed a lot since. I decided to go hit some new irons (partly because I want to get irons to support getting better and partly to get new shiny things)

I zeroed in on a combo set of taylormade 790-770s. The PGA superstore suggested (in a round about way) that I get an extra stiff shaft in the set and recommended the Nippon Pro Modus 130t x. I had a Taylormade fitting session and the rep recommended the same. I went ahead and placed an order directly with Taylormade with the Modus 130 X shaft in all the clubs.

Yesterday on the course a buddy of mine who is a very good golfer made a comment along the lines of “wow, that’s a lot” which just stoked my fears of me buying something “above” my game.

I have in my mind that the set up being recommended is much more advanced for my game and I worry that swing weight and flex is not right. All the generic articles are painting horror stories about playing the wrong shafts. 

anyone have any thoughts to calm my mind? :) I am considering canceling the order and going to a local shop to pay more to have the ability to return them (TM won’t accept returns).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The question is did you get custom fit? Do you have a high swing speed? If the answer is yes on both the questions above, I’m sure your good. No offense to your buddy but he’s not a pga fitter. If you

Your friend isn't a fitter, simple as that. Professionals deal with that stuff all the time "I know you're the professional, but my buddy said..." They're fitters, they'll get their money if you buy,

You're no slouch at 175 yards with 7 iron.  I believe you have enough  oooomph to handle the 130x.  As others have said.  The fitter is a paid professional to get you into the right clubs, your buddy

If you are having doubts like this, you might want to cancel and possibly get a shaft fitting for the irons you want to play. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The question is did you get custom fit? Do you have a high swing speed? If the answer is yes on both the questions above, I’m sure your good. No offense to your buddy but he’s not a pga fitter. If you hit them good and they feel good who cares. You may have gotten better over the years and your swing has gotten faster.

everyone swing is different, tempo, speed, even the way you load a shaft. I’ve really had to get over what the sticker says....the proof is in custom fitting. Who cares if it says, R flex, S flex or X flex. Shafts are so good now I hope you really like them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tpcoug said:

Yesterday on the course a buddy of mine who is a very good golfer made a comment along the lines of “wow, that’s a lot”

Does your buddy have deep experience in fittings for golf clubs, or is he a natural athlete who scores well without understanding why? Also, do you two play for big $$ bets and he may be trying to throw off your confidence?

One of the problem everyone faces with Tour Stiff shafts: Can you play them on days when you don't have your A-game swing? If not, you might do well to lighten up a little.

One possible work-around: The P790 and P770 clubs 4-PW sell for around $1400 a set, or ~ $200 per club. You could always order a P790 5i and a P770 8i and see if they work.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 minute ago, ChipNRun said:

Does your buddy have deep experience in fittings for golf clubs, or is he a natural athlete who scores well without understanding why? Also, do you two play for big $$ bets and he may be trying to throw off your confidence?

One of the problem everyone faces with Tour Stiff shafts: Can you play them on days when you don't have your A-game swing? If not, you might do well to lighten up a little.

One possible work-around: The P790 and P770 clubs 4-PW sell for around $1400 a set, or ~ $200 per club. You could always order a P790 5i and a P770 8i and see if they work.

What? He already has the clubs on order.

OP who do you trust with club fitting? Two sources that do it professionally or your buddy? The two sources suggested the same shaft as best for you why would you question it now?

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

The Modus 130x shafts are pretty damn stiff.  You would have to swing pretty hard, I'd say at least 115 mph with driver in order to load them properly.  I tested the 130 TX and that thing was a beast even for me when my ss was 122 many eons ago. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I personally wouldn't sweat it.  Everyone said the same thing to me when I had TTDG X7's installed in my Ping S55's.  Played the best golf of my life with them and wore those things out.  I have the Modus 125's in TX in my MP20 MB's right now because I couldn't get the X7's from Mizuno.  I chose the 125's over the 130's because they seemed to spin it a little less, which I needed with the blade.  The modus shafts are very nice and none of them feel overly stiff to me.  the Modus 130's feel softer than C-Taper 130's IMO.

46 minutes ago, Joe Jordan said:

The question is did you get custom fit? Do you have a high swing speed? If the answer is yes on both the questions above, I’m sure your good. No offense to your buddy but he’s not a pga fitter. If you hit them good and they feel good who cares. You may have gotten better over the years and your swing has gotten faster.

everyone swing is different, tempo, speed, even the way you load a shaft. I’ve really had to get over what the sticker says....the proof is in custom fitting. Who cares if it says, R flex, S flex or X flex. Shafts are so good now I hope you really like them.

I went to the pga superstore 3 separate times and then did a taylormade fitting.

For some context, on solid strikes:

my ball speed was 120-125.

I carry my 7 around 175 yards.

I have a smooth tempo but the TM guy commented that I loaded the shaft in a unique way but that I had “effortless power”.

I know I shouldn’t be questioning the fitters over my friend (who is a very well versed golfer in equipment) but hard to plunk down $1400 on something you doubt before pulling it out of the bag.

9 minutes ago, Tpcoug said:

I know I shouldn’t be questioning the fitters over my friend (who is a very well versed golfer in equipment) but hard to plunk down $1400 on something you doubt before pulling it out of the bag.

Your friend isn't a fitter, simple as that. Professionals deal with that stuff all the time "I know you're the professional, but my buddy said..." They're fitters, they'll get their money if you buy, it's not like it's in their best interest to fit you to a poor set. That will make you unhappy, give them a bad reputation, and make them unhappy. If they said you have a unique delivery and those shafts would be ideal for you, I'd trust them especially if it's coming from multiple fits from different sources. most people would consider my P790 udi in 6.5 "a lot" but hey, I'm out here swinging my swing, and it's working for me. Can't base your game on what others think or you'll never get ahead

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Tpcoug said:

I went to the pga superstore 3 separate times and then did a taylormade fitting.

I have a smooth tempo but the TM guy commented that I loaded the shaft in a unique way but that I had “effortless power”.

You're no slouch at 175 yards with 7 iron.  I believe you have enough  oooomph to handle the 130x.  As others have said.  The fitter is a paid professional to get you into the right clubs, your buddy isn't. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

55 minutes ago, Tpcoug said:

It's a legitimate question by your friend, because a smooth tempo would not normally be a fit for the Modus 130 'X'.

Any chance you could get one club first to test it?  or order a shaft yourself and have someone install it an iron, so you can at least try it

Honestly I’d trust the fitter, and Nippon 130 are high launching if I recall as compared to similar offerings. Don’t sweat the static weight as Taylormade will swing weight then to your fitting specs.

Titleist TSi3 9* UST Mamiya Prototype

Callaway UT 2 Iron VTS Black 100X

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW Project X LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Raw 52,56,60 DG TI Spinner S400
Team Bettinardi Hive

You were fit into the same shaft in two independent fittings, assuming you didn't bias TM by telling them what PGA SS had fit you into.  So you should feel pretty comfortable that shaft is pretty close to the correct spec for you.  If you have concerns about stiffness and shaft weight then just go for the Modus 130 S instead and have them hard step it for you or soft step the X once or twice.

And when amateur equipment experts comment on your clubs, just politely ignore them.

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

The Modus 130x shafts are pretty damn stiff.  You would have to swing pretty hard, I'd say at least 115 mph with driver in order to load them properly.  I tested the 130 TX and that thing was a beast even for me when my ss was 122 many eons ago. 

The concept of "proper loading" is 100% subjective.  In a pure physics standpoint, there doesn't have to be any loading so it's really all about what the player wants or doesn't want to feel from the shaft during the swing.   There are certainly some people that need to feel a certain amount of loading but not everyone is like that and there are some who actually don't want to feel any loading.  If memory serves, Snead was one like that - had to play the stiffest shafts he could find.

So the better question is not what the swing speed might be or even the transition, rather it's how did they feel when he was fit into them?