2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help Me Plan My Scotland II Trip For 2023

1 hour ago, njlam said:

Related question:

for the famous/renowned lunch at Muirfield, I am aware that a jacket and tie, collared shirt and shoes (non-golf) are required.

How about the pants? Can we wear the same slacks as on the course, or do we need to bring a complete change of clothes?

Thanks in advance.

during lunch we have to change our clothing? This is really good information! I assumed that golf attire would be appropriate since you're playing in the afternoon.

Thomas

2 hours ago, stanford88 said:

during lunch we have to change our clothing? This is really good information! I assumed that golf attire would be appropriate since you're playing in the afternoon.

Thomas

You want lunch at Muirfield then bring a jacket and tie. One thing though, you can soak lunch for as long as you like. Just ask to go off later in the afternoon. Make a day of it. Our lunch was 3 hours! The pm game was just to walk off food and drink. It does not matter when you finish. It's not like you will want dinner! 

Still want to know if golf pants are okay....

Given we will be playing in the morning, getting suited up for lunch, then going back out to play the foursomes, can one assume the locker room and showers are available for visitors?

The coat/tie/shoes requirement represents a packing challenge for a 10 day trip....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

2 hours ago, njlam said:

Given we will be playing in the morning, getting suited up for lunch, then going back out to play the foursomes, can one assume the locker room and showers are available for visitors?

The coat/tie/shoes requirement represents a packing challenge for a 10 day trip....

Yes, a ton of people wear chinos or whatever golf trousers for lunch. You will see guys save their clean pair for lunch 😎. It's very casual jacket and tie if you know what I mean. Shoes are often smart casual rather than proper leather uppers and soles. Don't over think it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, njlam said:

a sport coat does not take up much room, especially one with not a lot of construction. A tie even less. 

Shoe wise I brought a nice pair of loafers that I wore many times on the trip in the evenings. You know that sneakers aren’t considered appropriate for most decent restaurants/bars in Europe right? You’ll want an evening pair of shoes regardless. 

Pants - yes lots of people kept their golf pants on. I changed into a proper set of trousers because it felt like the thing to do, I wanted to enjoy the experience. 

• Like 1

For my group, when playing The Honourable Company, I will advise wearing black trousers, because they will go well with most sportcoats.  It will be an easy dress-up after the morning round.  Of course, I will also advise them to bring their dress shoes as well in their garment bags.

Our flight out of Edinburgh will be at 100P.  Since we will be arriving at the airport about two hours prior, if we have breakfast at, say, 700A, that will leave us about three hours to do something.  From the Balmoral Hotel, maybe we can take a quick tour of Musselburgh?  Any other quickie ideas for our last morning in Scotland?

3 hours ago, ND2005 said:

a sport coat does not take up much room, especially one with not a lot of construction. A tie even less. 

Shoe wise I brought a nice pair of loafers that I wore many times on the trip in the evenings. You know that sneakers aren’t considered appropriate for most decent restaurants/bars in Europe right? You’ll want an evening pair of shoes regardless. 

Pants - yes lots of people kept their golf pants on. I changed into a proper set of trousers because it felt like the thing to do, I wanted to enjoy the experience. 

This is what I mean. Bring clothes you would wear anyway. A tie will work with a decent collar shirt that you would wear socially. Other than likely the jacket, there is no need to pack something you will wear only for Muirfield. Trust me, I have been many times. You see some interesting get ups at lunch. 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

For my group, when playing The Honourable Company, I will advise wearing black trousers, because they will go well with most sportcoats.  It will be an easy dress-up after the morning round.  Of course, I will also advise them to bring their dress shoes as well in their garment bags.

what happened if it is a navy blazer??

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Our flight out of Edinburgh will be at 100P.  Since we will be arriving at the airport about two hours prior, if we have breakfast at, say, 700A, that will leave us about three hours to do something.  From the Balmoral Hotel, maybe we can take a quick tour of Musselburgh?  Any other quickie ideas for our last morning in Scotland?

just hang around the royal mile, its so cool. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Agree with Scott - you can walk up the Royal Mile to the Castle have a wander around in there - then meander back down past StGiles and the “heart” of Lothian -there is always some street art and buskers going on around there - 3 hours will be gone quickly. If you want to play Old Musselburgh then do it one of the evenings in Lothian - you can hire hickory’s at the starters hut I heard.

15 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

what happened if it is a navy blazer??

That was going to be my question.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

14 hours ago, buckI said:

That was going to be my question.

great brain.

13 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Fashion wise, black trousers are a terrible choice unless you’re attending a funeral 

I don't own black trousers except my funeral suit.

10 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

My sportcoat is charcoal gray, so the black pants match my pants well.

You are lucky it won't be dark until late here in the summer or they might loose you!

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I did a little research on lounge options for us at Calgary during our three-hour-and-forty-five-minutes layover.  There is no Amex Centurion lounge there, and although there is a Priority Pass lounge over there, it is located in the domestic terminal where we would have to go through the hassle of going through security from the international terminal, and even if we do that and reach the lounge, the website of the Elevation Lounge states as a final note that "The lounge is not accessible to passengers departing to the U.S.."  It looks like we may just have to rough it at Calgary.  For those of you who knows Calgary Airport, please give a suggestion of what we can do during our layover.  Maybe there is another lounge we can access at the international terminal for a fee?

1 hour ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I did a little research on lounge options for us at Calgary during our three-hour-and-forty-five-minutes layover.  There is no Amex Centurion lounge there, and although there is a Priority Pass lounge over there, it is located in the domestic terminal where we would have to go through the hassle of going through security from the international terminal, and even if we do that and reach the lounge, the website of the Elevation Lounge states as a final note that "The lounge is not accessible to passengers departing to the U.S.."  It looks like we may just have to rough it at Calgary.  For those of you who knows Calgary Airport, please give a suggestion of what we can do during our layover.  Maybe there is another lounge we can access at the international terminal for a fee?

Timmy Hortons! having said that its actually not in the main bit after security but down one of the gate bits.

I much prefer slumming over lifeless lounges! to each their own!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

4 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Timmy Hortons! having said that its actually not in the main bit after security but down one of the gate bits.

I much prefer slumming over lifeless lounges! to each their own!

Exactly, people watching at an airport is a top favorite of mine…

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I just had breakfast with three of my guests and two of them have an interesting proposition for me.  One day in our itinerary we will play the New Course at St. Andrews early in the morning, about 730A.  Afterward we will have lunch and then play the Himalayas course.  We should be done with all that by about 230P.  We will have the rest of the day off, so two of my guests are inviting me and the other guest to play at the Crail Golfing Society. They are presently making an effort to get us on by contacting the pro there.  I doubt if they will be successful.

Quite honestly, I would rather spend the rest of the day to relax and get myself fully rested for The Old Course the next morning.  My two guests said they will be willing to host me and my other guest, and they will cover all expenses.  This is quite an attractive offer.

What do you guys think of Crail?  Is it worth squeezing in that round with my plans?

Edited by EmperorPenguin

33 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I just had breakfast with three of my guests and two of them have an interesting proposition for me.  One day in our itinerary we will play the New Course at St. Andrews early in the morning, about 730A.  Afterward we will have lunch and then play the Himalayas course.  We should be done with all that by about 230P.  We will have the rest of the day off, so two of my guests are inviting myself and the other guest to play   They are presently making an effort to get us on by contacting the pro there.  I doubt if they will be successful.

Quite honestly, I would rather spend the rest of the day to relax and get myself fully rested for The Old Course the next morning.  My two guests said they will be willing to host me and my other guest, and they will cover all expenses.  This is quite an attractive offer.

What do you guys think of Crail?  Is it worth squeezing in that round with my plans?

If you want an old school links with history it’s worth the trip. Frankly there are many others in the area that are much better. I would play The Jubilee, The Castle, or Lundin before I’d play Crail. 

35 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

What do you think about Dumbarnie?

I have not played it since it wasn’t open yet on my last trip. However, the reviews from people I’ve talked to were very good. I read they had some issues with their greens last summer but not sure if that has been remedied. Maybe one of the locals can give a better update on the condition.

Edited by hammergolf

The Jubilee (Queen Victoria's jubilee it should be noted) is definitely the simplest and easiest choice - the only option I would throw in for consideration is Ladybank GC as it’s relatively close by and an Old Tom Morris parkland course (which plays very links like - tight lies) but a great course and a wee bit different if you are playing seaside links all tour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I can just imagine a few slaves carrying you in their arms around St Andrews, golf ball spotters, numerous caddies, delivery drivers with food and drink for you!

Hilarious - Conjured up visions of sedan chairs and forelock tugging (black adder style) “lackeys” - jeez  get yer clubs on yer back and go play!!!

• Haha 1

OK, well if the greens are horrible at Dumbarnie I will wait for a future trip.  I saw a couple videos on the place and it looks far more impressive than Crail, which looks like a flat course on the ocean with little character.  I did a quick look on Crail's website and the bookings look very solid, so I am hoping that my two guests will fail in that effort.  My concern is that I do not want to be fatigued by the time I tee it up on the Old.  We play the New on Sunday morning before the Old, and the former will be the sixth consecutive day of golf, which I know we will have no problem since we will not be carrying our clubs at all during the trip.  I already played the Jubilee during our Scotland I trip three years ago.

After we play the New we will probably have a quick lunch and then play the Himalayas.  For lunch, I might want to check out some fast-food place called Munchies? I heard it was called Munchies, but a Google search shows it as Munch.  The menu looks impressive, and the prices quite cheap so this may be a break from the fine dining we will be having every evening.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

OK, well if the greens are horrible at Dumbarnie I will wait for a future trip.  I saw a couple videos on the place and it looks far more impressive than Crail, which looks like a flat course on the ocean with little character.  I did a quick look on Crail's website and the bookings look very solid, so I am hoping that my two guests will fail in that effort. 

Crail has two courses: Balcomie and Craighead.  

Balcomie is an Old Tom Morris course on the water with a lot of character so there is a reason that it is booked solid.  I would not look down at Balcomie at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

We play the New on Sunday morning before the Old, and the former will be the sixth consecutive day of golf, which I know we will have no problem since we will not be carrying our clubs at all during the trip.  I already played the Jubilee during our Scotland I trip three years ago.

After we play the New we will probably have a quick lunch and then play the Himalayas.  For lunch, I might want to check out some fast-food place called Munchies? I heard it was called Munchies, but a Google search shows it as Munch.  The menu looks impressive, and the prices quite cheap so this may be a break from the fine dining we will be having every evening.

Every time you post I find it so funny; I know you don't mean to but it is. 

Sometimes playing golf is not about how many you play but playing the courses you love over and over. I am off skiing for two weeks in the Alps in a week and once I find a run I like I will rep it over and over!

I have never heard of that place, just googled and it and it's next to Rogue which is great for steak. For me for fast food/burgers the Blackhorn Burgers place is unbeatable. I have been to St Andrews twice this year and eaten there 2 times. Last year I probably ate there 15 times, the owner is a real nice guy, food is good and I love the chilled vibe.

Where you eating there the other days?

• Like 2
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

5 hours ago, ALTSean said:

Crail has two courses: Balcomie and Craighead.  

Balcomie is an Old Tom Morris course on the water with a lot of character so there is a reason that it is booked solid.  I would not look down at Balcomie at all.

I don’t look down at Crail. There are just better options to play. One thing I do recommended for Crail is if it’s the first round off the plane. Plenty of room to drive it and not overly difficult.