2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help Me Plan My Scotland II Trip For 2023

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

The chipper in Anstruther is good. In fact two are good. May as well play the 9 holer there for a complete evening. It's not a great courde, but there are a few cool holes and lovely views. 

Now yer talkin Gringo - remember to play first as the Fish and chip greased hands play havoc with your grips - like gettin in the car a week after having fish and chips and the aroma that just won’t quit!!! Hehe

On 2/13/2023 at 12:03 AM, AltC said:

Hammer - you got it - the slow steady build up of tougher holes makes this for me one of the best golf courses you can ever play - it’s not scenic - it’s not nice - it’s just f’kin tough to finish - great golf course in my opinion. Love it!!

Totally agree. Our caddie said to us at the last in the encroaching dark “just aim for the wee light on the clubhouse”. I’m thinking “what wee light is he talking about!!” It was impossible to see anything through the mist. But it was awesome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AltC said:

Now that is a recommendation right there- chipper owner admits driving 40 mins to rival chipper!!! Hehe

I will check it out in April! Mind you and it pains me to say this - the best by far Fish and Chip place I have ever been to is “Fish” in Sausalito Nor-Cal just over the golden gate - jeez superb!! Will be back for sure!!

Edited by AltC

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Totally agree. Our caddie said to us at the last in the encroaching dark “just aim for the wee light on the clubhouse”. I’m thinking “what wee light is he talking about!!” It was impossible to see anything through the mist. But it was awesome.

Also the greens are pure - they may look a little strange with some fungus circles and different colours but always true- I played the budden one day as a single and was teamed up with a German crowd - I one putted the first seven holes - and they all wanted a look at the putter ( a betenadi  neewport)  I had to explain it’s not the putter but the “Puttee” they needed to be worried about. I scored crap by the way but putted well! Hehe

Here is an update to my plans.  As stated earlier, I was planning to invite one of my colleagues as my guest.  Word among the other guests spread rapidly, and the other two guests wanted to join me to witness the spectacle of the Imperial Invitation.  It was very difficult to try and get together with this invitee, who had taken previous dinner invitations lightly, and it was my last attempt before giving up on him and moving to another candidate.  After a couple reschedules I told him by text message that it was an important dinner because I had to ask him something.  He was reluctant to go because he had other plans, but I had to ask him personally and directly, so I insisted.  He relented and he finally met up with me at a Japanese restaurant we frequent.  My other two guests coordinated to get together with us, all to appear we just happen to meet there by chance.  OK, so the four of us finally got together, had our dinner, and I finally gave him the invitation.

"[Invitee's first and last name], we have known each other for over twenty years, so I will ask you this directly: Will you come with me to Scotland as my guest to play ten rounds of golf on nine of the finest courses in Scotland?  I will cover your airfare, hotel, golf, transportation and caddies.  All you pay for will be an additional luggage fee at the airport for your golf bag, you rotate hosting dinners with the others who are sitting with you now, and you will give each hotel your credit card to cover incidentals.  I will cover everything else, and there will be no hidden costs to you.  All I ask is for you to be yourself and to bring your best golf game."

He now understood why I had to ask to meet with him in person to ask this question, and he was flattered.  I gave him a week to decide, to talk to his wife about it and to see if he can manage to take the time off to play golf with us.  We all thought he would easily accept, given the nature of the invitation.

About a week later, I received this text message from him: "Sorry bud not looking like I can go this time...I know ur covering almost everything but just doesn't look like it's a good idea for me this year.  With all that we paid for so far just moving ...I should be ok by the time we left. But don't want to take that chance.  I very much appreciate the opportunity.  I know I'll regret it in a couple months...have a great time send pics."  I would have much preferred a phone call instead of a text message to decline, but to me this was an invitation not to be taken lightly.  By rough estimation, he turned down a package totaling over $17,000.  I will not be so inclined to invite him again.

So almost immediately after receiving that message I had to act quickly to invite another.  It was very fast, and I invited the new candidate during a simple dinner at a Chinese restaurant.  We had a great time at dinner and I told him at the end the real reason why I invited him to dinner.  His eyes widened as I invited him to come with me as my guest under the same terms as the previous invitee.  I gave him a couple days to decide because I had to buy the plane tickets very soon.  He accepted the next morning and is very excited to come.  So we now have our group: four golfers, one wife, and of course the venerable Emperor.

We all had a get-together at the new invitee's house, who hosted a Texas-style BBQ for us.  I had to ask for everyone's first and last names exactly as they read on their passports, as well as DOB's for the plane tickets.  I bought the plane tickets yesterday morning.  Because of the turnover of the original two guests (the rogue guest and the other who must attend two weddings), combined with seeking replacement candidates, I could not buy plane tickets until just now.  The original plan was to fly Aer Lingus from San Francisco to Dublin, then to Glasgow, then for the return flight fly Edinburgh to Dublin to San Francisco, also through Aer Lingus.  We are a little over three months out and the return flight through Aer Lingus is no longer available to book; I assume they sold out.  We can fly to Glasgow through Aer Lingus, but the flight back the only suitable flight is through WestJet, a Canadian airline, from Edinburgh to Calgary, then to San Francisco with a 3.5-hour layover in Calgary.  I have access to American Express Centurion Lounge, so hopefully there will be one there for us to relax and sip some bourbon while we wait; I also have Priority Pass, so if the former will not be there I hope the latter will.  I have never flown WestJet before, so can anyone chime in on if that is a good airline?  To me it seems like the best alternative because Calgary is on the way to San Francisco from Edinburgh.  I am looking at the booking for Aer Lingus.  The luggage allowance on the ticket is free carry-on, but we must pay for both suitcase and golf bag, so I guess we pay about $200 each.  The luggage allowance for the return is free carry-on, free suitcase, but for the second checked bag (golf bag), I think there is a $60 Canadian-dollar charge.  My guests will be more than willing to pay for those fees.

Is it better to pay in advance for extra luggage, or is paying for it at the airport so easy it is not worth pre-purchasing?

always better in advance!

I have two ski trips coming up to Switzerland(KLM) and France(Jet 2) and have all he bags set up already.

Westjet for what an airline it is is fine, I have never flown long haul with them but they are great around Canada and from Vegas to Calgary etc in the past. My friends from Calgary are all planning a long weekend in Edinburgh now the Westjet flight has started. I am not a fan of any of the US airlines if that helps, for flights to Houston I always try and do the Singapore Airlines flight as its awesome!

I am glad you have your trip all set up now! I can't wait to see pics etc and hope you have a great time!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Penguin - I ain’t gonna call you Emperor!!- did you book the flights? A while back we had guys flying from NY to Edinburgh frequently and those guys used to like to fly via Reykjavik as there is a stopover of a couple of hours where they take you ( still airside) to a hot volcanic spa pool - you have a good soak and a few beers outdoor  hot pool for an hour - then fly on direct to Edinburgh- just an option. Obviously direct is always best but if you have to break the journey just an idea. 
Scott is correct always pay in advance for extra luggage - but some airlines still accept golf clubs as “sporting equipment “ which is outside baggage allowances - you need to check with the airline- but I have seldom had to pay for clubs - plus shoes/balls golf stuff packed into the carry case!! Hehe - have a great trip 

• Haha 1

I do not have much time to post because I must leave for work in a few minutes.  I took a quick look at the Aer Lingus site and for now it appears the Irish airline is charging for everything.  Seat selections, luggage, sporting equipment, etc.  Some of it seems a little complicated, so in the near future I will read through slowly before making purchases.  Anyone who has flown transatlantic through Aer Lingus please chime in.

3 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I do not have much time to post because I must leave for work in a few minutes.  I took a quick look at the Aer Lingus site and for now it appears the Irish airline is charging for everything.  Seat selections, luggage, sporting equipment, etc.  Some of it seems a little complicated, so in the near future I will read through slowly before making purchases.  Anyone who has flown transatlantic through Aer Lingus please chime in.

I’ve flown Aer Lingus many times from Chicago to Dublin and I have always been able to check my golf clubs as a standard checked bag as long as the weight was under 50lbs, so no need to pay more for the sports equipment. Aer Lingus is a touch better than US carriers for transatlantic flights. Their planes tend to be newer, and Dublin also has an advantage to connect through. First it’s not a huge airport, so it’s very easy to connect through. In addition, it’s a USA port of entry so you can actually clear US customs there in Dublin on your return flight so there’s no need to do it when you arrive at SFO.  If you book the SMART fare it includes your checked bag and seat selection which saves you about $20 from buying them separately. Just fyi, the overhead bins on their planes are the newer version, so they have plenty of room for a large carryon. I normally pack the majority of my clothes in packing cubes and put them in with clubs in my travel bag to get it right to the 50lb mark. If you have any other questions about Aer Lingus just message me. I’ll be happy to help.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

For our upcoming trip in July, we are flying British Airways directly from the west coast to Heathrow, then to Edinburgh.

Last year, the horror stories about the lost luggage/golf bag situation at Heathrow has most of us planning to use Shipstix for our clubs.

Has Heathrow improved at all?

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

1 minute ago, njlam said:

For our upcoming trip in July, we are flying British Airways directly from the west coast to Heathrow, then to Edinburgh.

Last year, the horror stories about the lost luggage/golf bag situation at Heathrow has most of us planning to use Shipstix for our clubs.

For Scotland I trip in 2019, we all flew from SFO to LHR with British Airways.  We flew on the Airbus A380 and experienced no turbulence since the plane was so big.  Anyhow, we had about 90 minutes at LHR to connect to Inverness, so you would think that there would be reason for the luggage to be lost.  When we arrived Inverness Airport I was a bit concerned because I did not find my golf bag, but as I was the last passenger at the tiny baggage claim ready to concede my lost bag, a baggage handler came in with my bag.  All of our luggage made it to Inverness.  Of course, this is anecdotal, but I would stick with caution of connecting at LHR.

Shipstix has their share of nightmares, too, with all the supply-chain issues.  Your clubs may arrive after your trip is over.

47 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

bYour clubs may arrive after your trip is over.

This happened to two guys on last year's Ireland trip.

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

7 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I’ve flown Aer Lingus many times from Chicago to Dublin and I have always been able to check my golf clubs as a standard checked bag as long as the weight was under 50lbs, so no need to pay more for the sports equipment. Aer Lingus is a touch better than US carriers for transatlantic flights. Their planes tend to be newer, and Dublin also has an advantage to connect through. First it’s not a huge airport, so it’s very easy to connect through. In addition, it’s a USA port of entry so you can actually clear US customs there in Dublin on your return flight so there’s no need to do it when you arrive at SFO.  If you book the SMART fare it includes your checked bag and seat selection which saves you about $20 from buying them separately. Just fyi, the overhead bins on their planes are the newer version, so they have plenty of room for a large carryon. I normally pack the majority of my clothes in packing cubes and put them in with clubs in my travel bag to get it right to the 50lb mark. If you have any other questions about Aer Lingus just message me. I’ll be happy to help.

It would have been great to connect in Dublin on the way back, but unfortunately that return route is no longer available.  We will be flying WestJet from Edinburgh to Calgary, then to San Francisco, so we will go through the normal immigration line--except I, since I have Global Entry.  A must-have for frequent international travelers.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, scott_Donald said:

Most places no trainers in the clubhouse either!

Forgive me for asking because I have never worn anything other than true trousers.  By "trainers," are you referring to that recent trend of disgusting golf pants that are cuffed and with elastic bottoms like you see at the end of sport-jacket sleeves?  I think they are called joggers here in America.  If so, then I agree with their being banned, not just from the elite clubs in Scotland, but from the whole world.

Call me old-school, but I prefer very simple, straight-leg, flat-front trousers.

Jogger Golf Pants.jpg

Edited by EmperorPenguin

16 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Forgive me for asking because I have never worn anything other than true trousers.  By "trainers," are you referring to that recent trend of disgusting golf pants that are cuffed and with elastic bottoms like you see at the end of sport-jacket sleeves?  I think they are called joggers here in America.  If so, then I agree with their being banned, not just from the elite clubs in Scotland, but from the whole world.

Call me old-school, but I prefer very simple, straight-leg, flat-front trousers.

Jogger Golf Pants.jpg

Trainers = Sneakers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njlam said:

Heathrow is back to normal now. 

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Sorry forgot my Americanisms - Sneakers. I wear some UGG shoes in the clubhouse.

And yes I hate those trousers. I just use the Under Armour Spieth trousers, perfect.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

17 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Penguin- that is their business model (same for most US and European carriers these days) charge extra for everything! I mainly fly Asian or ME airlines these days and they still allow golf clubs as - sports equipment- which (so long as you have a reasonable ticket - not bottom drawer discounted) means the clubs are free and don’t count against your allowance ( unless your golf bag is ridiculously heavy). Anyway just pay and smile there ain’t no way out of their “policy” once you have bought the tickets. Much better to pay before online than get there and have some smug agent try charge you 50 dollars a kilo for overweight baggage ( or whatever the exorbitant rate they make up on the spot). Enjoy your trip not long to go - I will be in Bonny Scotland in April and early May for some tough links  golf and Belhaven Best. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Heathrow is back to normal now. 

Sorry forgot my Americanisms - Sneakers. I wear some UGG shoes in the clubhouse.

And yes I hate those trousers. I just use the Under Armour Spieth trousers, perfect.

Living in the UK for 8yrs growing up, and having a British mum allowed me to translate for you….. lol 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Living in the UK for 8yrs growing up, and having a British mum allowed me to translate for you….. lol 

These days tons of clubs don't care about trainers. I see them all the time even at some smart clubs...usually fancy ones that one wouldn't wear while training 😎. Of course, it's wise to bring a decent pair of shoes to avoid the possibility of embarrassment. But, things have rapidly changed. 

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

These days tons of clubs don't care about trainers. I see them all the time even at some smart clubs...usually fancy ones that one wouldn't wear while training 😎. Of course, it's wise to bring a decent pair of shoes to avoid the possibility of embarrassment. But, things have rapidly changed. 

I forgot my shoes one time so I just wore socks, I got thrown out, I did say the rules said no trainers so I thought socks were fine.

My club has three areas really where you can get food - One where golf shoes are fine along as not metal spikes, One where shoes are a must, one where you must wear a jacket and tie. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Always pack a pair of comfortable loafers - can wear formal or casual - to the pub or dinner - Sebago make the best in my opinion - although Herring and Cheany are more than  just as good - as you are in SF there is that shoe store “Alden” it’s really good - just get the plain ( no tassel ones) in black or cherry red  ( my fave) you will never be thrown out of a golf club - light and easy to pack,

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I forgot my shoes one time so I just wore socks, I got thrown out, I did say the rules said no trainers so I thought socks were fine.

Whatever side of the Atlantic you are on, that is funny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

4 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

My club has three areas really where you can get food - One where golf shoes are fine along as not metal spikes, One where shoes are a must, one where you must wear a jacket and tie. 

I remember seeing guys in socks. Very odd thing to do😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is some stuffy strange s*** goes on in golf clubs - which to be honest is fading away -  no trainers when most normal people wear trainers - jackets and ties in the members bar - etc. However you have to respect the guys in blazers who want to stick to this - they defeated hitler and watched their mates get killed doing so - so respect is due - if it means wearing shoes and proper trousers - I have no issue with that. 

10 minutes ago, AltC said:

There is some stuffy strange s*** goes on in golf clubs - which to be honest is fading away -  no trainers when most normal people wear trainers - jackets and ties in the members bar - etc. However you have to respect the guys in blazers who want to stick to this - they defeated hitler and watched their mates get killed doing so - so respect is due - if it means wearing shoes and proper trousers - I have no issue with that. 

Well, I agree, but not because of WWII. I agree because we are visitors and guests of private clubs. By paying the green fee we tacitly or openly agree to abide by club rules. If folks don't like the rules, don't visit the club. It's a straightforward choice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Related question:

for the famous/renowned lunch at Muirfield, I am aware that a jacket and tie, collared shirt and shoes (non-golf) are required.

How about the pants? Can we wear the same slacks as on the course, or do we need to bring a complete change of clothes?

Thanks in advance.