How much to tip Caddies at Bandon Dunes

On 12/9/2023 at 2:07 AM, Michael mcgreevy said:

These responses are idiots caddys at Bandon dunes work hard reading puts the best they can also giving distances with wind and knowing how the greens role. It takes years to know all five courses!  Im a caddy out there we average the 100 bag fee plus 50 to 100 in tip 20 is considered an insult the information on here is ridiculous. Consider that caddys have to drive to the courses 1 hour before the round pay oregon gas of 5$ a gallon drive home and Bandon is expensive to live in. Were not waitresses tip 50$ we work hard thanks!

Don’t the guys that work on the course have to get up early and drive to the course? Maybe I’m biased since I have a turf degree, but I’d rather play a well conditioned course, and get my own bag around than pay a caddy $200 bucks for four hours work. I wish I could have made $200 a day when I was an assistant superintendent working long hours trying to keep bentgrass alive in Fayetteville, NC.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I think the big part here is that no one in the US is forced to do a job, Want more money, be a waiter. Want to enjoy the outdoors and be around golf, caddie. I think the US tip culture is over the top. I honestly think in no way is a Bandon caddie worth double a caddie at Prestwick or the Old Course. I get it, it is a tough job, but it is a choice, not a requirement.

you have a very weird hatred of caddies/tipping. 

caddies in the US may not be “worth” double of those in the UK but they are facing massively different monetary issues (healthcare being the most obvious)

caddies in the US tend to be more “lifers” vs those in the Uk. Especially af places like Bandon 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ND2005 said:

you have a very weird hatred of caddies/tipping. 

caddies in the US may not be “worth” double of those in the UK but they are facing massively different monetary issues (healthcare being the most obvious)

caddies in the US tend to be more “lifers” vs those in the Uk. Especially af places like Bandon 

Then dont be a caddie? You know how many people in this country are facing monetary/healthcare issues and have to pay for gas to get to work? I mean...all of them mostly.

I love caddies - I have posted a dozen trip reports *including BD* about how much I love caddies and use them everywhere we go. But FOH with coming on a Golf/Bandon message board and complaining that people who don't tip 50-100% are "insulting you". Like I said, you dont like it - complain to your caddie master or management that the rates arent high enough. 

Imagine you had a waitress who bitched throughout your entire meal that people werent tipping good enough.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

54 minutes ago, monty09 said:

how soon should I been requesting caddies?  Our trip is late april 2024

A lot of the good caddies now will not take reservations months out unless you are willing to pay $$$. They prefer to keep their flexibility up until a week or two out.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

31 minutes ago, doc52 said:

A lot of the good caddies now will not take reservations months out unless you are willing to pay $$$. They prefer to keep their flexibility up until a week or two out.

ROFL, of course. I guess I'll take my chances calling a couple months ahead.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

13 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

ROFL, of course. I guess I'll take my chances calling a couple months ahead.

A good caddie I had on a previous trip wanted double the going rate (only would take a double bag at the 2x rate) to book him in advance. Decided to carry my own bag lol.

33 minutes ago, monty09 said:

that is not the question...   

Bandon now has over 500 caddies (most are new). IMO if you aren't booking someone who has been there and knows the courses it will be a waste of time/funds. 

24 minutes ago, doc52 said:

A good caddie I had on a previous trip wanted double the going rate (only would take a double bag at the 2x rate) to book him in advance. Decided to carry my own bag lol.

How did this come up? Part of me says good for him for telling you that up front. Another part thinks man what an awkward conversation to have with someone. 

I assume our system is different than Bandon but whenever someone asks me ahead of time about a loop I either accept right away or say let me check my schedule and I’ll get back with you. If it’s someone I enjoy and they pay well they will get a response as soon as possible. If it’s something I will caddy for but am hoping for a better offer then I usually wait a bit to see if a better offer comes up.

I’m dealing with members at a private club and not guest so I understand it’s much different. I can’t ever see myself getting a request and then discussing payment before choosing weather to accept or decline the job though. 

33 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

How did this come up? Part of me says good for him for telling you that up front. Another part thinks man what an awkward conversation to have with someone. 

I assume our system is different than Bandon but whenever someone asks me ahead of time about a loop I either accept right away or say let me check my schedule and I’ll get back with you. If it’s someone I enjoy and they pay well they will get a response as soon as possible. If it’s something I will caddy for but am hoping for a better offer then I usually wait a bit to see if a better offer comes up.

I’m dealing with members at a private club and not guest so I understand it’s much different. I can’t ever see myself getting a request and then discussing payment before choosing weather to accept or decline the job though. 

The caddies are VERY aggressive about their moneys and are not afraid to be direct about what they expect to be paid.

8 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

The caddies are VERY aggressive about their moneys and are not afraid to be direct about what they expect to be paid.

bravo for the caddie... i don't mind that at all.. and if i an locking up a known good caddie.. happy to pay the premium..... if I just need a body to carry my bag - ill go with whoever the club has on short notice

45 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

at my private club....  this is how we roll as well... 2 caddies.. i tend to play more then the field... they are all over my phone call.. others not so much and thats fine 

48 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

He was just upfront and said his prices have changed since the trip the previous year. After having a different and newer caddie I see why he requests what he does. 

So now I'm cheap if I'm not paying $200 a round plus some sort of under the table advanced booking fee? 

Just out of curiosity, the guy demanding 2x the rate, what happens when no one pays and he gets assigned to a random double bag? I guess he just demands $400 for the round?

I'm learning a lot in this thread.

I've read in other threads that people are worried about getting stuck with a bad caddie for a while week. Why dont you just change out after the first round? Last time we had someone ask us after our first round if the caddie was OK. But even if they didnt and I wanted to change out, I would immediately say something. I dont think this is unusual, in fact I bet they would rather you do that than hate your caddie for another 6-7-8 rounds.

Edited by dcmidnight

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

7 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

So now I'm cheap if I'm not paying $200 a round plus some sort of under the table advanced booking fee? 

Just out of curiosity, the guy demanding 2x the rate, what happens when no one pays and he gets assigned to a random double bag? I guess he just demands $400 for the round?

I've read in other threads that people are worried about getting stuck with a bad caddie for a while week. Why dont you just change out after the first round? Last time we had someone ask us after our first round if the caddie was OK. But even if they didnt and I wanted to change out, I would immediately say something. 

its a hustle, that’s all it is. The experienced guys will try to lock in people ahead of time that they know are willing to pay what they ask/demand. 

many of them are now promoting themselves on social media, handing out business cards, etc. the more people they can get locked in in advance the better off they will do for themselves. 

but yeah if they aren’t booked in advance they’ll show up and take what the caddymaster gives them. I have seen senior caddies basically be like F you and just leave if they get stuck with a single bag. Or just not come back on day 2 if the tips suck 

such is the life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

My experience is much different.  Had 5 different caddies on 7 different trips.  The attitude I usually get is, "pay me what you think I'm worth." As long as you're not insulting, I think they are generally cool.  I've found $100 bag fee plus $40-50 tip (plus food/drink on course) is usually enough not to get the cheapskate label.  I usually do a final round bonus, maybe $100 depending on how many days I've been there and how good they were.  I will say, I don't request specific caddies and am not all the picky.  I really just want my bag carried and someone who is funny and easy to get along with.

Edited by jrg75

5 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

I don't request specific caddies and am not all the picky.  I really just want my bag carried and someone who is funny and easy to get along with.

Couldnt agree more.

On a trip like Bandon I would call and just request two guys who get along and dont mind spending the week together. Last time we were out there (as a twosome) our caddie didnt love a couple of the other caddies that we got paired up with.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

32 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I've read in other threads that people are worried about getting stuck with a bad caddie for a while week. Why dont you just change out after the first round? Last time we had someone ask us after our first round if the caddie was OK. But even if they didnt and I wanted to change out, I would immediately say something. I dont think this is unusual, in fact I bet they would rather you do that than hate your caddie for another 6-7-8 rounds.

100% agree.  I am happy to fire a caddy after paying him for his service on say 1 round... 

It is odd that some caddies can demand that much. Unless they are a professional comedian or an amazing golfer that somehow meets me and knows my game in a 15 minute warm up, i'm happy paying 1/2 just to save my back. I know how far my clubs should go. Give me a line and carry the bag. I learned to read putts when I was 9. Are they always perfect....no, but is it worth $200 for the caddie also to not be right some? No...I work with people daily who expect to start at 75K per year with no education or experience. Eventually common sense on the value of someone doing manual labor must come into play. I've had great caddies around the world, but none worth more than a Dr or Teacher per hour.

48 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

It is odd that some caddies can demand that much. Unless they are a professional comedian or an amazing golfer that somehow meets me and knows my game in a 15 minute warm up, i'm happy paying 1/2 just to save my back. I know how far my clubs should go. Give me a line and carry the bag. I learned to read putts when I was 9. Are they always perfect....no, but is it worth $200 for the caddie also to not be right some? No...I work with people daily who expect to start at 75K per year with no education or experience. Eventually common sense on the value of someone doing manual labor must come into play. I've had great caddies around the world, but none worth more than a Dr or Teacher per hour.

highly subjective.   I love that a caddie says his rate is $150....   thats all im in for... even if they do a rock star job i likely wont pay more.. if they do a crappy job.. i fire..   and hire someone else.  

so why they are trying to limit their downside they also limit their upside in my eyes...   

If the rate is $100 and the premium is $50 for a veteran caddie.. i am happy to pay $50 more for that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbaird12 said:

You guys are disgustingly cheap.

At a place like Bandon, if someone is carrying your bag give him $200.  If he's double bagging, give him $300 total ($150 each)

Should it cost more at bandon for a caddy because it’s an expensive place in general? If that’s the case, should caddies get paid less in the off season when rates are 50% less? Or should golfers staying off site to save some money pay caddies less because the trip is less expensive? There is a former NFL player that plays where I caddie. It doesn’t cost him any more for a caddie than it does the rest of the members. Just because he has a gold jacket and made a couple hundred million in his playing career doesn’t mean he has a special pay scale. 

It’s really not that deep. Pay caddies the bag fee plus a tip based on the service provided. (And this is coming from a caddy that always wants caddies to make as much as possible.)

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Dbaird12 said:

You guys are disgustingly cheap.

At a place like Bandon, if someone is carrying your bag give him $200.  If he's double bagging, give him $300 total ($150 each)

ROFL your initial post said the proper tip is $200 per bag if carrying? So now I should be paying $300 a round per bag for a caddie?

New account - what are the odds this tracks to the West Coast of Oregon. 

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Most guys who go to Bandon have alot deeper pockets than the average joe.  When I went a few years ago I was paying $150-$160 and the guys just loved me.  I think anything from $130-$150 all in is just fine......if the guy stinks I would give him a $100 and talk to Caddie Master.

Some of the better caddies I have had at Bandon are Mitch, Dave (from upper peninsula of Michigan) and Hersch.  They were all fantastic and were really good

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

28 minutes ago, Dbaird12 said:

$130-$150 cash on top of the caddie fee, right?

No $130-$150 for each 18 holes is on par with what they expect.  I know alot of the guys out there and thats totally acceptable.  I paid about $150-$160 a round and I still get a few texts a year asking when my group is coming back.  They double bagged so making $600 a day is big money and they were all very thankful and want us back.  If you are able to tip more that is fantastic but $130-$150 it totally acceptable and they will be happy

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link