The best shot you have ever hit?

Luckily, there's a lot to choose from.  Of course, that would also be the case if this were the Worst Shot thread.  40 years of golf will give you plenty of each.  A few come to mind - 

- Craziest "why not?" shot - playing a casual round with my dad in like 1991 or 92.  The 7th hole is a sometimes reachable par 5.  I push my tee shot a little, and it ended up underneath some huge trees, among all the roots.  I've got a clean lie and a full swing, maybe like 245 or so to pin.  But, there are overhanging limbs, a pond about  halfway to the green, and a deep pot bunker 15 yards short of the pin.  I have to keep it low, so I pull out my driver (TaylorMade BurnerPlus 9.5, with a tiny head compared to today).  I nail it, under the limbs, then it climbed a bit, over the pond, lands in the fairway just short of the pot bunker, which it hops over, rolls up, clanks off the pin, leaving me an almost-gimme eagle.

- Best "show off" shot - mid-2000's, playing by myself late in the day.  It's very dry out, which plays a role.  Ninth hole is an uphill, dogleg right par-5, with a mound long-left of the green, and the pin was cut front right.  Middle of a drought, course and greens all playing firm and fast.  On the tee, I get waved up by a foursome of young guys.  I nail the tee shot up the middle, basically even with where they are.  I pull out a 3-hybrid (Sonartec).  Knowing I can't stop the ball on the firm green, I intentionally aim long-left.  Crushed the shot.  It's in the air, a couple guys in the foursome are saying "get down" as they watch.  I'm climbing into the cart and driving off, saying "it will".  The ball hit the back edge of the green, rolled halfway up the mound, then came right back down, eventually ending up two feet from the hole, eagle.      

Edited by whiteout73
  • Like 2

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

• 3 weeks later...

Invitational 2021...I hit a drive into the trees...my partner (alternate shot) gets me back in the fairway. We are now lying 2, we have to make birdie, or par to move on...the pin is right behind a bunker with 6 yards between the bunker and the edge of the green..I hit 9 iron 145 over the bunker to 4 feet, he makes his putt...we move on and win:) 

Well, yesterday aimed for and hit a 3w 230yds through a 15' x 15' opening in a maple tree that was 20yds away. Made par on my way to carding a 99. One I'll remember.

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

I actually called ala Babe Ruth my first HIO.

I called a high cut 9 iron that would be just past the hole (which sat on a downslope that day) and spin back into the hole.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I've had a few but the most recent one that sticks out in my mind was from last summer...blind second shot on a par 5, about 35 feet uphill from 223 with a light left-right breeze in my face to back-right tucked pin, hit my 4 iron right how I wanted to and didn't see the outcome until I got up there and had 2.5 feet for eagle...I knew the shot was going to be good, but not THAT good.  

Oh yea...made the putt for eagle too.  Good stuff!

Ping G425 LST 9*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX Small Batch

Callaway XR 16 Pro 14*, Fujikura Speeder 765 Evo II TS X

Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 20*, HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 Hand-Crafted

Miura MB-101 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X7

Miura Tour Milled 52, 56, 60, Dynamic Gold X7

Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Standard

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Jet Set

Titleist Pro V1 Left Dot 

Ninth hole is a par 5 with trees down the left side. Hit my tee shot in these trees, only shot is a pitch out. 10th hole is also a par 5 running next to the 9th with no trees. Instead of pitching out I go left into the 10th fairway. About 190 left to the 9th green, hit a 6 iron that goes in for an eagle, golf is a stupid game! Only 1 good shot on a par 5 & make a 3.

It's either my sloppy eagle following a duffed tee-shot on a short par-4 in Toronto, or that time I bested Omar Uresti in a closest to the pin contest at the Teardrop Golf company party during the '97 PGA Show in Vegas... 

Callaway GBB EPIC 9* +1*
TaylorMade Aero Burner 3-wood 15*

Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 5-wood 18* +2*
E21 Hybrids 18* & 26*
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 5-E Stiff
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 50/10

Callaway JAWS Raw Full Face Wedge 54/12
Vintage Zebra putter 

Not necessarily one shot - but I had a round where I just felt like no matter what, I could make up for my mistakes and end up par or better. 

I ended up with 7 birdies, 6 bogeys and 5 pars. 

This was a combination of some very boring holes and some darn near miraculous recoveries, and a lot of pin seeking from weird places on the course. 

Par 4 380 hole, hit my drive about 230 but off to the right a little, coming to rest in a small clearing behind trees. The green is straight through the trees. I opened the face of a 5 hybrid and aimed at the edge of the tree line.

It clicked a couple of branches but flew out nicely and turned right after a bit and landed on the green about 10 feet above the pin.

Great when it works like you want it to.

I was behind a tree. Choked up on a 6 iron and hit a super low hooky shot around the tree that nailed the false front of the green right behind a bunker and ended up rolling out to about a foot. I've tried the same shot since and usually end up hitting the tree and going out of bounds. 

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

First Par 3 with my wife and 2 kids, my first ever birdie was with them on #2.

Then on the 9th hole, par 4 255 with a guy ahead of me on the green, I smoked a 3w that rolled up to the green in front of my family. I've never hit it that far and wasn't expecting for it to reach. Wife yelling at me for hitting at him but honestly I wasn't expecting that shot to go that far. I watched the guy pick up my ball while he was walking off the green. A little upset, my wife calms me down as I drop to roughly where I hit which was about 40ft out. Sunk it for the "eagle". Family had no idea what I just did.

Lw from bare lie to elevated green and I couldn’t even see the flagstick. I have to lob the ball to edge of the green 20 feet above me and the green ran away from me. 
Hit the landing spot and rolls 40 feet in the cup Didn’t see it.  Playing partner on the green shouts to me that it’s in the cup! 
Bonus was it for eagle on par 5.  I hit my 2nd over the green and face what looked like impossible up and down ! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 this Spring that are right at the top, same hole.

135, almost dead behind a tree, fairly low branch, trees and road left, water short and right, choke down low riser cut 7 iron to 3-4 feet, and made it for birdie.

Week later, same hole 2 man with buddies and some drinks, tried to go down right side, pulled into water, buddy shanked over by a tree.  Not as dead behind this this one, but another low branch, 180 dead into wind 15, trees and road left, water short or right, low rising cut 4H to 10ft.

the ones that put a smile on your face…..

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Certainly not a great shot, but funny - This had to have been 15 years ago, at least.  I was playing in a scramble. When we arrived at one of the par-3's, Tour pro Billy Andrade was on the tee, and we got to have a closest-to-the-hole contest with him. I hit a 7-iron, and basically flat skulled it, but right at the pin. The greens were aerated and really soft. My ball impaled itself in the green, 4 feet above the hole. Then all four of us proceeded to miss the putt (sharply downhill, breaking, on sand), and had to listen as Billy gave us $h*t about it from the tee.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

2016 - playing with my family, The Old Course, last round of a dream vacation, beautiful morning and I'm on track to break 80, the goal I dared not even speak, and I knew I was having a really good round but wasn't really in touch with how many over I was, someone else was recording the scores.  Hit my drive way left on 17, wind is into us a bit and I think I needed hybrid.  Caddie had me focused on the right side of the green (pin was tucked behind the Road Bunker on the left, not too many on and not gettable from where I was).  Pulled my hybrid left, it shot up into the air and I was short of the Road Bunker and probably 30-40 yards from the pin.  I hit the best Monte Scheinblum little use the bounce keep my right shoulder moving and release 58 degree wedge I've ever hit (really, ever hit, I can still hear the crisp contact!) that landed just on top of the mound over the Road Bunker and then hesitated oh so slightly, then disappeared as it trickled down and my caddie and youngest daughter are on the green opposite the hole and their reactions tell me I almost holed it.  It apparently landed in the perfect spot and nearly went in and ended up a tiny tap in past the hole.  Magical!

That set me up for thinking about my score, lol, and wanting to know just where I stood before I teed off on 18.  I was on the 18th in regulation on the right side of the green with maybe 10 feet downhill, fairly straight, and of course now I thought I could wrangle a birdie for a . . . . 77, and hit it 15 feet past, lol, barely got the comebacker to the hole and in for 79!  18th hole was the only hole all day, and really only on the green standing over my first putt I ever let score enter my head that day, haha. I can still hear my caddie telling me on the first putt, "75%, 75%" and I hit it 100% thinking I was holing it, it just looked so easy!  

Edited by Hawkeye77