The best shot you have ever hit?

I have several that I remember.

The first, I had only been playing for 2 months, and I had started to use a driver. Impact had a very hard feel (too hard it turned out), and I hit low chasers most of the time. I remember trying to get it past a telephone pole. Then i hit my first proper drive and it flew above the telephone line. Wow!

Another was maybe 10 years later. I could hit driver off the deck back then, and opted to try the brave & silly shot from the woods. Hit a big, big fade that found the green some 220 yards away. 

Couple of years ago I hit a 3w from 240 m on a par 5 that flew like never before - or after - and landed right in front of the green and bounced on. It must have carried at least 25 m longer than I was hoping for.

On a dog leg left, I pushed my tee shot to far ended of the fairway and ended up in the middle/under the trees. Only shot I had was to punch out laterally and take my third shot to the green, or was it my only shot lol??.

I had 160-170 to the green and I decided to take my long iron , open the face, line up to the houses across the fairways and hope I hit a hockey stick slice. The harder part for me was keeping the shot low to clear the branches. I saw the shot in my minds eye, but I never done or practiced a shot like this, a very low super slice. But since I was already playing horrible that day, I gave it a shot. 

I hit made that low hockey stick shot and ended up above the pin putting downwards on a fast green. It was a great shot, but the three putt wasn't so joyous lol.

Playing at my brothers club the match is even on the par 5 17th tee and I pushed my drive high right over the trees and next to the par 3 green. Can't get over or through the forest. As golf luck would have it I was next to the sidewalk that led to the bathroom between the holes. So I told my brother to close the doors and hit a sweet 5I knock down that caroomed of the bathroom just above the doors and out onto the 17th fairway. My bogie put us 1 up going to 18. 

Great shot birdseye crop.jpg

• Like 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

Best 2. Playing two balls , I hit two great drives fairly close together, both blocked by a tree water in front of green. Two 6 irons, 1 fade , 1 draw around tree, both to three feet. 

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Hit this on Saturday, I ended up on the edge of a bunker on an uphill slope, 1 foot in the bunker and 1 out to keep the ball at my feet, I couldn't see the green as it was elevated and I had to go over trees but was about 100yards out based on the marker in the fairway. Pulled out my 56° felt like I could get a solid swing and just swung, got clean contact, up and over the trees and heard a thud (green were rock solid). I head up and ball is just off the green, and the cart girl gave me a compliment after driving away, I proceeded to flub the first chip and end up with a double. I should have gotten the cart girl to watch I probably would have holed out.

But seriously it was a nice shot considering the conditions, I've had uglier shots lead to better results but all things considered one of my best shots. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Great stories here. It might be easier to pick your best shots for each club.

If I had to pick one it is a 7 iron shot out of the woods. I’m talking real woods with knee deep brush, shrubs, and too many trees to count. I had no business shooting for a window up in the trees but I figured what the heck, chipping out is a bummer and might not even make it to the fairway. I think I may have actually shut my eyes through impact. Flushed it. I ran out to the fairway to find the ball two feet from the pin. Mostly luck, but I’ll never forget it.

2 shots came into the mind. 

• I averaged 220 yard off the tee. On that particular afternoon, I've been slicing the driver all day. So I figure it is going to be even shorter. The group in front is 240 yard out. The pace is a bit slow, so I told my group that I'm going to hit first. Pured my driver and hit their cart. I apologized profusely. 
  • Long par 3. Push the tee shot short and right. Chunk the pitch. 40+ feet, downhill, left to right break. We are talking about 3-putt territory. Made the putt. Everyone went wild. 

I picked up the game in 2013 and these are the shots I still remember to this day. 

1. 160 yards out, I hit a 7 iron that got caught in the flag fabric and fell straight down to 6 inches from the cup.

2. A 3wood off the deck from 240 yards out that I stuck to about 6 feet, but missed the eagle put, lol. (I can rarely make solid contact and hit it off the deck solid.)

3. Barely got on the green in 2 on a par 5 and had a 50+ footer with like 3 different breaks across 2 levels of slope and somehow sunk it for my first eagle. 

Other shots that are always memorable but don't remember exact specifics are: 

1. Holing out chips/pitches from the greenside rough which has only happened a handful of times. 

2. Commonly finding myself in the trees after a tee shot, I've threaded some gaps with some punches that somehow made it to the green.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

Mine has to be last weekend, by far. Par 5, 2 iron off the tee leaving 225 uphill to the green, Flushes a 4 iron to 3 inches. Easiest eagle I've ever had.. If I'm lucky to get the holy "hole in one" that will top it lol.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

On 5/18/2021 at 11:13 PM, Phabs said:

Happened yesterday...216 to a back pin on a 560 yard par 5.  Hit a pure 6 iron all over the flag, walked around the green for 5 minutes looking for my ball. Holed out for albatross.  Absolutely couldn’t believe it. 

EBC1CCA6-8A82-4414-9E26-B324EABD9ED1.jpeg

I came 3" away last weekend from 225 out 😞 Still happy with an easy Eagle.. GTZ!

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, 225 yard par 3 5 wood I got a hole in one!

• Like 2

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

20+ years ago. Im with a friend staying at his families house in State College, PA. His family is a member at the Elks club,(Now Mountain View)  where Penn State played. On the 9th tee, if I recall correctly, it's an elevated tee hitting to an elevated green. Miss the green and it's all up hill. As my friend tees off you hear some one yell "Hey! There's my nephew!". It was the clubhouse. The patio of the clubhouse was hosting a wedding and my friends uncle was attending. The whole party is now watching. He hits the green. I miss left with some boos. Total blind uphill shot to the green. I hole my flop shot. 

The one shot that stands out in my memory was from the river course at Sevierville golf club.  On 18 I had 170 left to a back flag and hit a towering draw with my 7i that finished 10' from the cup.  Why this shot stands out in my memory I have no idea, but I was on vacation and having an extremely crappy round but managed to hit my last iron shot of the day exactly the way I wanted to.  The ball flight was beautiful.  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

In a tourney this June. Flail a drive on a par 5 so far into what appears to be a forest in New Guinea, it was laughable. Hit a provisional (we didn't know if there were red or white stakes). We get up there; New Guinea is 20 feet thick with trees, bushes, thickets, tall grass (expect to see a Cape Buffalo), but red staked. We Lewis & Clark into it and immediately see my yellow ball sitting in an open area in the middle of nowhere. Can't see the fairway, green, flagstick, daylight, nothing. There is a small window however. No clue on yardage; pointless anyways. Have to Bubba-Watson-in-Masters-playoff slice a hybrid. I tell opponent try follow it if my ball makes it out of the forest. I hit. No clue. I hear nothing though. No trees, branches, leaves. Step 1 accomplished. Then I hear yelling. Minutes later after trekking back to civilization, I ask is it in play? Opponent says its on green 10' from pin. I can the putt for eagle. We're done here.

• Haha 1

Par 3-170 carry over water, wind in our face 30-40, really blowing hard. Hit a low 3 iron that never left the fla, finished an inch from going in. I've had 2 holes in one but this was the purest shot I've ever hit.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

• 3 weeks later...

Playing in city amateur, opponent a young buck with game. Match is one helluva battle but my wedge game is on all day. Match ends up all square after 18. Sudden death playoff, opponent stripes his drive on 400 yard par four. Dogleg left, OB left, so, I hit 3-wood because I can aim right and draw that club, as opposed to my driver. I hit it plain ugly off the toe, 40 yards right in the rough, very short. Second shot, I pretty much scull it but it's straight and ends up 72 yards from the hole, my perfect yardage for lob wedge. Opponent stripes his and is on the green only 12 feet from hole. I told my bud, my caddie, "Watch this." (My favorite shot.) My approach is a thing of beauty, almost holing out, skips, spins back straight in the hole for birdie. Opponent turns around in disgust, can't even look at me. Finally has to putt, misses his birdie putt. Victory!

Cold topped a 3 wood off the tee on a 400 ish yard dogleg right par 4 in a match, all square 3 to go. Needed to do something special i had about 280 left blocked out by tree all down the right, my ball is above my feet, i pull 3 wood and hit a 20 yard cut to about 10 feet i was shocked that it stopped on the green but it did and i made my put won that hole and won the next hole. I will never forget that shot.

I just holed a 140-yard choked-down 9 iron for eagle.  I absolutely flushed the shot: it landed 6 inches past the hole and spun back in.  I wouldn't have been excited had it been a "lucky" shot but this certainly wasn't. 

Great feeling for sure! That kind of stuff gets you addicted to the sport. Too bad it came at the end of an otherwise mediocre round! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An eagle on a par 5-tee shot across a ravine, then uphill to a blind green-Got the tee shot well over...decent 2nd shot to within 110 yards , 3rd shot made it to the green.

Got up there and the ball was missing. Looked everywhere. Finally one of the others putted out and found it in the hole.

I'm happy just to par or bogey #13

Not necessarily my best shot but the second most memorable. 22 years ago I thought golf was a stupid rich guy activity. I ended up taking my bosses spot in an outing the, only reason is I got the day off using no benefit time, free food and alcohol, event and participation prizes. I stunk it up all day, never swung a club before that day. On on particular hole, can't remember the distance I asked the other players what I should hit, they said "try" a six iron. I hit the ball, it felt like I hit butter, landed two feet short of the pin bounced into the flag and dropper. The next day I went to a local club maker that handled quality knock off components and ordered clubs, never looked back and never stopped buying more and "better" golf equipment. One shot hooked me on golf, good thing I am not a fish.

• Like 1

Links at Ivy Ridge in Buffalo, hole #6, 568 yards, par 5. Hit a really nice drive right at the left hand edge of the fairway/rough, not a bad lie but not good. I had 245 to the pin but there is water down both sides as you approach the green. With the uneven lie and water I ruled out a 3 wood. I hit a 16* Baffler DWS hybrid that felt super solid-it went out over the water and drew back to the green. I found it  3 feet from the cup and made the eagle putt before I could overthink it.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:29 PM, Tax77 said:

I'll never match this drive, hole out. I don't drive the ball 280, or hole out from 150 ever. Had swagger rest of the day.

Screenshot_20210801-085438-422.png

I had the same scenario play out recently.  Perfect drive, 280 or so, then holed out from just over 140-perfect 9-iron that spun back into the cup. Trouble was, it was the 18th, so no swagger for me!  At the end of a bad round, no less. I didn't find a groove until 16. 

• Like 1

I should have gotten a picture, but I was busy laughing with one of the ground crew. 

I had a clean approach on 10. I hit my 8 iron right at the pin, but I was 15 feet short on the front of the green. Decided I could muscle one a little closer and pulled it right. Over the cart path hit the roof of the greens crew shop. Bounced off the roof, off the cart path lands 5 feet from the pin. 

One of the guys came out, saw my ball and we both stared laughing. It was glorious.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray