2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

14 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Hmm. Im guessing the low spin numbers are due to the low launch readings (assuming you really deloft the club or hit it thin). Thats where i would look. Can you confirm you actually dont hit it that low, like on another monitor? If so, then i would make sure your garmin is setting level (and not angled up a few degrees, giving false readings. I guess you could prop the back up just a hair and see if it improves. It may be out of calibration or something.

I don’t hit it that low.  The Garmin sits on a base with a level (see pic above).  I did notice some ridiculous steep attack angles with the 5i paired with the low launch numbers.  Not sure what exactly is measured vs. calculated with the R10 but perhaps this does indicate the unit is aimed high.  This would increase the angle of attack and lower the launch numbers. Maybe next session I’ll slip some coins or washers under the back foot of the tripod like you suggest.  Makes sense.  Thanks.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, Cliffy2020 said:

I don’t hit it that low.  The Garmin sits on a base with a level (see pic above).  I did notice some ridiculous steep attack angles with the 5i paired with the low launch numbers.  Not sure what exactly is measured vs. calculated with the R10 but perhaps this does indicate the unit is aimed high.  This would increase the angle of attack and lower the launch numbers. Maybe next session I’ll slip some coins or washers under the back foot of the tripod like you suggest.  Makes sense.  Thanks.

Yep i would try that. If it works id contact garmin and see if there is a fix.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:14 PM, Red4282 said:

Yep i would try that. If it works id contact garmin and see if there is a fix.

SOLVED:  Although my R10 was on a leveled tripod behind my hitting mat, the angle of attack & launch numbers were proportionally off which ultimately affected distance, spin, and apex.  What could be wrong?  It’s leveled and set up to the distances spec’d in the manual....  doesn’t make sense.  However...

Raising the R10 another 1/2” off the floor (mind you it was already on an elevated tripod - see pic above). And incrementally adding thin washers under the back leg of the tripod (affectively reducing vertical tilt) solved the Angle of Attack / Launch discrepancy.  

My short irons/wedges are typically flighted and registered medium/low on the R10 (not out of the ordinary).   My middle irons hit stock on the R10 came out low launch and low spin (could NOT send them over the moon if I tried). My long irons and woods registered stingers/grounders (impossible to get them airborne).

Simply raising the unit another half inch (presumably to the level (or slightly above) the hitting mat). And incrementally adjusting the vertical tilt by adding washers under the back foot of the tripod (monitoring the numbers while hitting shots) dialed in this little bad boy of a launch monitor.  

NO it should not take this much effort to set it up!  But, after 4 sessions I know what I need to do to personally set up my specific R10 moving forward (in my unique garage hitting area).   Luckily I already knew what my numbers were to gauge what the R10 should register.  If I wasn’t as accomplished as I am I’d be lost, frustrated, and angry.  

Ultimately, I think if you have a pretty good grasp of your own statistics you can manually dial in this unit to be an exceptional bang for your buck launch monitor.  I’m SO glad I stuck to it.  It’s going to provide endless hours of practice and entertainment through winter!  

In summary, it took fractions of an inch correction to dial in.  Each unit may vary slightly in its manufacturing and assembly.  Is that Garmin’s fault or simply taking account for natural slopes/pitches of an upper Midwest garage floor?  I don’t know but I do know where the water puddles in relation to the seams in the concrete. The floor ain’t perfect!

👍🏼👍🏼 for the R10....  but keep in mind it isn’t  “set it and forget it” in my experience thus far.  

• Like 1

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

41 minutes ago, Cliffy2020 said:

SOLVED:  Although my R10 was on a leveled tripod behind my hitting mat, the angle of attack & launch numbers were proportionally off which ultimately affected distance, spin, and apex.  What could be wrong?  It’s leveled and set up to the distances spec’d in the manual....  doesn’t make sense.  However...

Raising the R10 another 1/2” off the floor (mind you it was already on an elevated tripod - see pic above). And incrementally adding thin washers under the back leg of the tripod (affectively reducing vertical tilt) solved the Angle of Attack / Launch discrepancy.  

My short irons/wedges are typically flighted and registered medium/low on the R10 (not out of the ordinary).   My middle irons hit stock on the R10 came out low launch and low spin (could NOT send them over the moon if I tried). My long irons and woods registered stingers/grounders (impossible to get them airborne).

Simply raising the unit another half inch (presumably to the level (or slightly above) the hitting mat). And incrementally adjusting the vertical tilt by adding washers under the back foot of the tripod (monitoring the numbers while hitting shots) dialed in this little bad boy of a launch monitor.  

NO it should not take this much effort to set it up!  But, after 4 sessions I know what I need to do to personally set up my specific R10 moving forward (in my unique garage hitting area).   Luckily I already knew what my numbers were to gauge what the R10 should register.  If I wasn’t as accomplished as I am I’d be lost, frustrated, and angry.  

Ultimately, I think if you have a pretty good grasp of your own statistics you can manually dial in this unit to be an exceptional bang for your buck launch monitor.  I’m SO glad I stuck to it.  It’s going to provide endless hours of practice and entertainment through winter!  

In summary, it took fractions of an inch correction to dial in.  Each unit may vary slightly in its manufacturing and assembly.  Is that Garmin’s fault or simply taking account for natural slopes/pitches of an upper Midwest garage floor?  I don’t know but I do know where the water puddles in relation to the seams in the concrete. The floor ain’t perfect!

👍🏼👍🏼 for the R10....  but keep in mind it isn’t  “set it and forget it” in my experience thus far.  

Good to hear! Yea the more experience you have with launch monitors and flight numbers the better it is to help troubleshooting. Those who do not know much would just say its crap and send it back. There could be a quality control issue, but man they are having trouble getting these things out. For the price point im willing to deal with a headache or two as the end result is worth it to me. Also, did you try the calibration in the app? Not sure if thats a fix but there is an option, not hsure what it does. 

edit: found this-

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

I got mine last week and finally had a chance to get it set up.  I’ve been working with it for about three hours now and haven’t had a single shot read indoors or out.  This thing is very disappointing.  I wasn’t expecting a super accurate unit for $600 but I essentially got a paperweight.

• Sad 1

My wife ordered one for me for Christmas but its on backorder for the foreseeable future.  I was on the fence anyway with the reviews I've been reading so I had her cancel the order and ordered a Mevo instead.  I'll keep the Garmin in mind for future reference because I really like the look of it. 

Edited by Bigjim1022

On 12/24/2021 at 7:04 AM, rlefig said:

great news Cliffy. I purchased a stand with level and "laser" to ensure i get it setup correctly in my very uneven driveway in the North East

What stand with level and laser did you get? I see a few options on Etsy - never bought from there before, ha! 

2 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

My wife ordered one for me for Christmas but its on backorder for the foreseeable future.  I was on the fence anyway with the reviews I've been reading so I had her cancel the order and ordered a Mevo instead.  I'll keep the Garmin in mind for future reference because I really like the look of it. 

Ouch, im afraid that was a mistake, on multiple levels!

1 hour ago, farundrpar said:

What stand with level and laser did you get? I see a few options on Etsy - never bought from there before, ha! 

Hi I got it from here.

https://golfsr.ca/en/collections/all

Where are you in CO? I used to live out in Thornton up by 130th street. Have Silverton and Wolf Creek booked for March if covid does not kill it.

55 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Ouch, im afraid that was a mistake, on multiple levels!

We'll see, doesn't really matter since Garmin really wasn't able to provide any concrete info when they will be back in stock.  Their website says 5-8 weeks before they are in stock and if thats the case I'll almost be able to hit balls outside again.  Maybe by next Christmas things will be different but I'll be content with the Mevo for what I intend to use it for. 

Side note, already got shipping confirmation on the mevo so that's cool. 

Edited by Bigjim1022

2 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

We'll see, doesn't really matter since Garmin really wasn't able to provide any concrete info when they will be back in stock.  Their website says 5-8 weeks before they are in stock and if thats the case I'll almost be able to hit balls outside again.  Maybe by next Christmas things will be different but I'll be content with the Mevo for what I intend to use it for. 

Side note, already got shipping confirmation on the mevo so that's cool. 

Understood, waited 3 months to get mine from the time i ordered. Its frustrating but now its here im glad i stuck it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlefig said:

Hi I got it from here.

https://golfsr.ca/en/collections/all

Where are you in CO? I used to live out in Thornton up by 130th street. Have Silverton and Wolf Creek booked for March if covid does not kill it.

Oh, nice. I’m in south Denver. Stay safe up there! Saw wild fires going on. 

good luck with Wolf Creek and Silverton. It’s been an odd winter. 

thanks for the link… will have to check it out. Anyone else using another  platform/leveling system that have worked well that I should know about? 

Just got mine today. I was on the course playing when my wife texted that it arrived.  Set it up as soon as I got home. That was super easy and the only satisfactory experience I’ve had with it. I play a strong draw.  Every swing starts right and turns over. Period. Every shot.  Some would call it a mini hook. If I have a miss 9 out of ten it’s a hook. Every shot in the first 30 showed a big time push right. I could finally get it to show a draw when I hooked the crap out of it. 

I practice off a 4” raised platform into a fairly large outdoor net. Ball travels about 18’ before hitting the net.  I raised the unit 4” to accommodate for the platform. I updated to the latest firmware. 

Anybody out there have any suggestions or think they can help?

52 minutes ago, Isgolf23 said:

Just got mine today. I was on the course playing when my wife texted that it arrived.  Set it up as soon as I got home. That was super easy and the only satisfactory experience I’ve had with it. I play a strong draw.  Every swing starts right and turns over. Period. Every shot.  Some would call it a mini hook. If I have a miss 9 out of ten it’s a hook. Every shot in the first 30 showed a big time push right. I could finally get it to show a draw when I hooked the crap out of it. 

I practice off a 4” raised platform into a fairly large outdoor net. Ball travels about 18’ before hitting the net.  I raised the unit 4” to accommodate for the platform. I updated to the latest firmware. 

Anybody out there have any suggestions or think they can help?

Are you hitting irons or woods? It wont be able to account for gear effect in woods. If thats not it, its likely not seeing club path correctly. Face angle accounts for start direction and path accounts for curvature. You might Try turning your unit just a hair to the right (for a right handed golfer)- where the alignment line may appear to be pointed to the right of target/ball and see what happens. 

On 12/16/2021 at 3:41 AM, Red4282 said:

Note to self: never order anything again from 2nd swing.

To each his own.  I ordered mine from them and the unit has worked great.  Much rather have a device from the current run versus those coming in the next batch given the world-wide component shortages and what compromises Garmin might have to make to manufacturer them.   I noticed they still have them in stock.  

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

On 12/30/2021 at 2:03 PM, farundrpar said:

Yes, the Etsy one with bubble level, adjustable feet, and alignment rod attachment.  Never ordered from Etsy either.  Sorry for the late response (was out of town).

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

14 hours ago, Kirios said:

Friendly heads up - E6 Connect software is on sale on PC and iOS.  It's usually 299 for a 12 month subscription but it's currently discounted to 199.

Hi purchased it for $199. I have never used GSpro the Golf club so can not compare. E6 seems good, I wish they had more fun short game practice as I am kinda stuck in my basement

5 hours ago, Junior1988 said:

Has anyone had the chance to use outdoors since the 3.8 update as spin is supposedly measured outdoors now? Just curious as I never expected spin to actually be measured with this device, but awesome if it actually is. 

Where did you hear that? Its my understanding that this device doesnt have that capability.

18 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Where did you hear that? Its my understanding that this device doesnt have that capability.

I've had mine since August and measures all provided data points both indoors and outdoors. This is a screenshot from an outdoor session in September..

Screenshot_20220104-170810_Garmin Golf.jpg

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

24 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Software version 3.8 added actual spin measurement to some shots, as seen here:

image.png.e233f628a3a6045752d1601f931e3e40.png

4 minutes ago, vsabre said:

I've had mine since August and measures all provided data points both indoors and outdoors. This is a screenshot from an outdoor session in September..

You are confusing measured spin with calculated spin.  The unit only measures a few data points directly, and calculates/estimates the others.  

7 minutes ago, jjschafe said:

You are confusing measured spin with calculated spin.  The unit only measures a few data points directly, and calculates/estimates the others.  

I fully understand the difference between measured and calculated, my post just indicated that the R10 provided all the data points listed in the specs. I should have been clearer..

Edited by vsabre
Clarification

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

23 minutes ago, jjschafe said:

Important Information on Ball Spin Rate Calculation 

Ball Spin is calculated differently depending if you are outdoors or indoors. 

• Indoors
    • Calculated using a machine-learned model that uses measured radar metrics as inputs.
  • Outdoors
    • Calculated by either of the following:
      • Observed ball trajectory by the radar, or
      • Measured by the radar

This from the Garmin R10 update page made me question if outdoors is still a calculation or if there is actually a measurement involved. 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=kj37CgzvwM98hC9WPrIQm5

43 minutes ago, jjschafe said:

15 minutes ago, Junior1988 said:

• Indoors
    • Calculated using a machine-learned model that uses measured radar metrics as inputs.
  • Outdoors
      • Measured by the radar

This from the Garmin R10 update page made me question if outdoors is still a calculation or if there is actually a measurement involved. 

Interesting. Good news but i would take it with a grain of salt because of the conditions that seem to be met. 

1 hour ago, Junior1988 said:

• Indoors
  • Outdoors
      • Measured by the radar

Ha, good point that wording is pretty convoluted. I guess if you think about it, even if it measures the actual spin of a ball it still has to do a calculation and some interpolation to report final revolutions per minute.  It is just a calc based on measured spin as opposed to a much more made up assumed number based on launch conditions.  

Edited by jjschafe