2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Artisan Love?!?!

23 hours ago, MattM97 said:

That's a nice wide blade. 

Thanks… should be a nice piece when they’re done.   I’m sure it’ll feel as good as it looks

21 hours ago, EVandy said:

Love it!!!

Thanks I’m excited to get it for sure. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 2 weeks later...

Carbon will feel softer than stainless but requires upkeep  

Light mill will feel hotter and have a louder click 

Mid mill will be in the middle both sound and speed off the face 

Deep mill will be the softest and the quietist 

I haven’t rolled anything off the shelf that felt like an Artisan with the exception of a studio design Cameron. 

• Like 1

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

13 hours ago, Phabs said:

Carbon will feel softer than stainless but requires upkeep  

Light mill will feel hotter and have a louder click 

Mid mill will be in the middle both sound and speed off the face 

Deep mill will be the softest and the quietist 

I haven’t rolled anything off the shelf that felt like an Artisan with the exception of a studio design Cameron. 

Appreciate that replay! I understand the theory, would love to know real world comparisons. i.e. Toulon feel, old Scotty studio stainless etc.

Its actually funny in my putter fitting, John's and my observations observations;

Alignment aid made no difference to me.

Weight was huge for me, the heavy putter was so much better for my long range pace control.

Milling I noticed no real difference so went with the mid milling.

John said I should never use a mallet putter!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I'll be visiting Artisan and will take a look at at their putters again. I love their wedges and irons but didn't quite take to the 0217 I had. 

• Like 1

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

1 hour ago, wattage said:

I’m really curious to hear more about the blade vs mallet in your fitting. 

Spending the time hitting various putter styles, face mills, shaft and grip combinations on the outdoor green with John discussing various aspects of putters and putting is priceless. He really takes the time to understand how you putt on short putts, long putts, uphill and downhill putts as well as the type of green surfaces you putt on and uses his experience to build you a gamer which is second to none. No doubt he knows what he's doing and being readily assessable for future ideas or questions is an added bonus. I've enjoyed mine so much and have no issues paying what I paid for such a quality club. First class organization all the way around. 

20210502_200125.jpg

20210502_194158.jpg

20210502_194337.jpg

20210502_194314.jpg

20210502_194402.jpg

Edited by snagy2000
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wattage said:

I’m really curious to hear more about the blade vs mallet in your fitting. 

I had no idea where it was going, simple after 5 putts he said, never use a mallet and we went with the traditional blade.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

58 minutes ago, wattage said:

I can’t see ordering an Artisan without a fitting to be sure your putter is the right one; Weight, material, milling etc. 

That being said, I booked a fitting for Aug 23😝

You’ll enjoy it.  I didn’t do an in person but I know my specs and preferences via a quintic fit last year.  

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wattage said:

So, I flew out from SF to Dallas Monday and had my fitting at 0900Tuesday, flew back at 1600 Tuesday! Big storms and flash floods in parts of TX had me quite concerned the fitting wouldn't happen but decided to give it a shot. We had misty to light drizzle with no rain gear (forecast looked clear for Tuesday before leaving--ALWAYS bring your rain gear, period!). I met John in the shop at 9 and we chatted and hit a few putts indoor, I picked a few putter heads that interested me, grabbed an umbrella and went outside by 0930.

I grew up in Arkansas so it felt like talking to my uncle or grandfather, quite comforting, and John is quick to tell stories which I love. On the green John puts me through some drills and assessment. For me (everyone will be different) there was a lot that looked good, but some serious room for improvement in release and strike. He says, I'll fit and build you a tool after we get it right. We work on releasing the putter (Utley-esque), allowing the dominate hand to work, getting a better STRIKE! (a word he loves! and I wish I had video of our time together to hear his voice and see him teaching me). John switches heads and we quickly realize its no good, back to a different shape. We work on making a plan (calling break and entry speed), committing to it, seeing it, and then letting the brain take over. It seriously was the best 1 on 1 putting lesson/fitting I've ever had. I'm a 4 and was down to scratch when I played and practiced a lot, I don't doubt if I'd had this experience in my early days that I would've had much more success.

"ask a pro what their working on know what they'll tell ya? workin on that strike!"

My take home notes: Right Hand, Chin, Strike, Done. Everything's a 4 foot putt. Kill that left shoulder. STRIKE IT. Recoil drill. BOOM Strike. Make a plan, setup and let it happen. Pull it back, let it fall, strike, done.

John was patient, genuine, and audibly excited when he saw the changes happen. That's probably the feeling that sticks with me; that he really cares about making me a putter and helping me become a better putter! I'm a just a fella who booked a fitting ya know! We stood and worked in the rainy weather from 0930 until he saw what he needed to see from me. We went back to the shop at 1300!

Then we finalized the build details: I pick a head 0220, shaft finish, head finish, paint colors, grip, headcover etc. After all that time together he was happy to chat (along with Sam) about the finishes, how they are snowflakes, the time involved etc. John looks at me and says, oh you've got a plane to catch! I wish it hadn't been raining with a 45 mile drive and plane to catch, I would've love to hang as long as they would let me and soak it in, asking questions, and listening to stories. I raced back to Dallas, seriously white knuckling the wheel and slowing to 35 mph at times. Returned rental car, grabbed a bite to eat, changed out of my wet socks and got on the plane. I look down and see I'm tracking all sorts of grass on the plane from my only pair of tennis shoes 😝.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with John at Artisan. As has been said, it really was one of the best golf experiences. I love golf info and he was happy to give me some detail b/c he could see I get it. He gives awesome golf references to get his point across, it makes me smile still.

I hope this helps anyone considering making their way to see John. I doubt everyone gets the same 'lesson' and I doubt everyone is open to changing their technique, but I am! I want to get better, I want a tool that is fit to this improved release, I'm tired of hitting 14 greens and having 31 putts.

I'll end with probably my favorite quote:

"we don't try to make a putt, we let it go in. that's it"

Thanks for everyone's input here, tell John I said hi if you followup!

BWATTS

Great write up definitely sounds like an experience you won't forget and won't get anywhere else or at least in very few places as a regular joe golfer. Can't wait to see that finished product and thoughts when you get a chance to roll it.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

7 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Great write up definitely sounds like an experience you won't forget and won't get anywhere else or at least in very few places as a regular joe golfer. Can't wait to see that finished product and thoughts when you get a chance to roll it.

Unfortunate that it’s grossly over priced. 🤣

• Haha 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

15 hours ago, wattage said:

So, I flew out from SF to Dallas Monday and had my fitting at 0900Tuesday, flew back at 1600 Tuesday! Big storms and flash floods in parts of TX had me quite concerned the fitting wouldn't happen but decided to give it a shot. We had misty to light drizzle with no rain gear (forecast looked clear for Tuesday before leaving--ALWAYS bring your rain gear, period!). I met John in the shop at 9 and we chatted and hit a few putts indoor, I picked a few putter heads that interested me, grabbed an umbrella and went outside by 0930.

I grew up in Arkansas so it felt like talking to my uncle or grandfather, quite comforting, and John is quick to tell stories which I love. On the green John puts me through some drills and assessment. For me (everyone will be different) there was a lot that looked good, but some serious room for improvement in release and strike. He says, I'll fit and build you a tool after we get it right. We work on releasing the putter (Utley-esque), allowing the dominate hand to work, getting a better STRIKE! (a word he loves! and I wish I had video of our time together to hear his voice and see him teaching me). John switches heads and we quickly realize its no good, back to a different shape. We work on making a plan (calling break and entry speed), committing to it, seeing it, and then letting the brain take over. It seriously was the best 1 on 1 putting lesson/fitting I've ever had. I'm a 4 and was down to scratch when I played and practiced a lot, I don't doubt if I'd had this experience in my early days that I would've had much more success.

"ask a pro what their working on know what they'll tell ya? workin on that strike!"

My take home notes: Right Hand, Chin, Strike, Done. Everything's a 4 foot putt. Kill that left shoulder. STRIKE IT. Recoil drill. BOOM Strike. Make a plan, setup and let it happen. Pull it back, let it fall, strike, done.

John was patient, genuine, and audibly excited when he saw the changes happen. That's probably the feeling that sticks with me; that he really cares about making me a putter and helping me become a better putter! I'm a just a fella who booked a fitting ya know! We stood and worked in the rainy weather from 0930 until he saw what he needed to see from me. We went back to the shop at 1300!

Then we finalized the build details: I pick a head 0220, shaft finish, head finish, paint colors, grip, headcover etc. After all that time together he was happy to chat (along with Sam) about the finishes, how they are snowflakes, the time involved etc. John looks at me and says, oh you've got a plane to catch! I wish it hadn't been raining with a 45 mile drive and plane to catch, I would've love to hang as long as they would let me and soak it in, asking questions, and listening to stories. I raced back to Dallas, seriously white knuckling the wheel and slowing to 35 mph at times. Returned rental car, grabbed a bite to eat, changed out of my wet socks and got on the plane. I look down and see I'm tracking all sorts of grass on the plane from my only pair of tennis shoes 😝.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with John at Artisan. As has been said, it really was one of the best golf experiences. I love golf info and he was happy to give me some detail b/c he could see I get it. He gives awesome golf references to get his point across, it makes me smile still.

I hope this helps anyone considering making their way to see John. I doubt everyone gets the same 'lesson' and I doubt everyone is open to changing their technique, but I am! I want to get better, I want a tool that is fit to this improved release, I'm tired of hitting 14 greens and having 31 putts.

BWATTS

Thanks for sharing and knowing it was a worthwhile experience.

Edited by LionGolfer

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

9 hours ago, wattage said:

BWATTS

Glad you had fun; makes me think of my fitting for the putter where I just melted in 100+ degrees, bluebird day!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

2 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Well this happened today.  Putter soles absolutely perfect and feels amazing.   Sticking my LAGP in it this afternoon and playing tomorrow morning.   Titanium neck came out great in contrast to the head 

140CBB3B-67D3-43FC-82C6-E9E9B04A77E4.jpeg

F4394C43-E4BA-47AA-B868-D743FE9C7B42.jpeg

I like that a lot especially with the Oxidado finish I assume that's the 0519 with a lot of softening done? Also what's the width of that head and what face milling did you go with? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I like that a lot especially with the Oxidado finish I assume that's the 0519 with a lot of softening done? Also what's the width of that head and what face milling did you go with? 

That’s the 0521 mid blade with a ton of hand softening.  That’s the mid mill depth, blade width is 1 3/8ths 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 minute ago, Phabs said:

Yeah mid blade with a ton of hand softening.  That’s the mid mill depth, blade width is 1 3/8ths 

The softening definitely makes that shape come alive especially with the rolled top line. That's a good size blade they have so many shapes/sizes not on their site it's almost like you have to go there. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

The softening definitely makes that shape come alive especially with the rolled top line. That's a good size blade they have so many shapes/sizes not on their site it's almost like you have to go there. 

Yeah they have a lot of options not on the site.  He killed it on this thing… I wanted a fat bodied Newport style bumper appearance.  Produced exactly what I wanted … he said the 0521 head isnt super common and asked what about it I was interested in. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Just now, Phabs said:

Yeah they have a lot of options not on the site.  He killed it on this thing… I wanted a fat bodied Newport style bumper appearance.  Produced exactly what I wanted … he said the 0521 head isnt super common and asked what about it I was interested in. 

With all of those heads and other options definitely need to sift through all their heads and options at the shop. I'm sure he can narrow it down over the phone. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Now LAGP equipped.  Changed the feel of the head immediately in a better way.

F833DF0C-2000-4F76-BB5F-73FC898F0D4E.jpeg

• Like 4

Bridgestone Tour BXS