2021 BMW Championship

KBong

35 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

JYK sinks the putt to win!  Congratulations to JYK (who I voted for POY here in the forum).  Well worth staying late till past 3am... 

I've only got GC on TV and I'm too tired to watch my SBS stream that doesn't start until an hour.....I'll just watch my recorded GC recording tomorrow.

It's raining tomorrow...likely driving range time and couch potato some NFL before watching the BMW....I'm still watching the BMW 3rd rd.

My friend has the GC stream and said JYK stuffed it to 2 feet from 173 out in the playoff.

Must have been set up like a pitch & putt with so many 64's.

Congrats to JYK....too bad she didn't get to 15+ rds in the 60's

JYK goes back to Rolex ranked #1 over BORING/ZERO PERSONALITY Nelly.🤣

How f****** up is it that HJ Lim went bogey free, no 3 jacks, 54/56 fairways and LOST...WTH.

Top 11 were REAL or FAKE Koreans...and ya had to go down to T17 to find a non Asian...Charley & Marina.

Nice tournament for Lydia, GIMMEE and The Rocket....the Mini Rocket imploded as I suspected after a hot Thurs start.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I have to thank Hideki for keeping me awake to follow this final playoff hole! LOL... Go JYK! I need the points to continue my momentum out of the cellar in our own game here!

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.54.24 AM.png

Did you see the MOON ball Godzilla hit into 18 as his 2nd shot approach that spun and stuck...then made the eagle putt.

Congrats!

Tringale looked like a goof playing up to the galleries on the weekend.

The Japanese are too polite to tell him to stop his fake BS waves/gestures.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

Clutch shot from Ko on the 1st playoff hole

Fantastic shot!   

Now that clip that you shared . . . starts off, appropriately enough, with a soundtrack that is IMHO reminiscent of the Godfather . . . and while it lightens up to a degree that is far too "sunny" for the Godfather, it nonetheless conjured up a vision of Luca Brasi and Don Vito making someone an offer they couldn't refuse.  Almost like saying poor Hee Jeong Lim never stood a chance!  

Great round by Jin Young . . . a second round of 64 to catch the leader and force a playoff! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, iBanesto said:

@Argonne69 How does Jin Young Ko's statistics/results in 4 seasons compare to players like Sorenstam, Ochoa or Lydia?

I heard a commentator say she has had 40 top 10 finishes in 4 seasons.

Good question. She just picked up her 11th LPGA win in just under 4 years. 'Nevermind the 12 wins on the KLPGA previously. 

Lorena didn't win in her rookie season (2003). She had nine wins by the end of her 4th year, which included 6 wins in 2006. She had 56 (8/18/10/20) Top 10's.

Annika also didn't win in her rookie season (1994). She had 12 wins by the end of her 4th year, including 6 wins in '97. She had 47 (3/14/14/16) top 10's.

I think most would agree that the competition Jin Young is facing is collectively better then the players in the 90's and 00's. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/21/2021 at 3:47 PM, KBong said:

Is everyone here a relative of Jan Stephenson?...why no talk about the BMW?...it's crickets here...just sayin.

Too much going on to watch "live" for me.  Just flipped on the recording of round 3 since round 4 isn't available yet.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:31 AM, Dazgore said:

Interesting to see a few of the LPGA regulars, whom I do not recall wearing knee high socks, are doing so in Korea....peer pressure perhaps?

Has Minjee Lee ever worn knee highs in tournament play?

Daz

Right away I got JYK and In Gee both in knee highs?!   And paired together?  Guess I'm going to have to pay more attention to this than I thought.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, Argonne69 said:

Watched round two last night. It was wonderful seeing In Gee get so much coverage. I don't think they showed that many shots when she won the Hana a 3 years ago. Excellent ball striking, but her putter cooled off after the opening holes. It looks like the coolness continued into the 3rd round.

And I guess round 2 is worth watching too.  Why can't we get some of this during regular events instead of seeing every shot of two "feature groups"?

• Like 1

'Can't wait to watch this one tonight. Looks like a real showdown. Yeah, it's a shame she didn't keep her streak of round in the 60's going, but I think that lit a fire in her that pushed her to the win. Similar to when her bogie-free streak ended. If she hasn't already done it, she's sure entering the "zone". Four wins this year with two to play.

'Really feel bad for Hee Jeong, though. Must be a similar feeling to players who watched Tiger snag the trophies out of their hands. I would have liked to see another top player join the LPGA. 

Lydia, A Lim, and Da Yeon quietly snuck into 3rd. Lydia has to figure out how to go low in the opening round, though. In 18 tournaments this season she's only managed to shoot sub-70 in the first round 8 times.

Much better round by In Gee. Her irons were a bit off in the third round. 

'Nice to see Alison get back on track with her first top 10 of the season.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Fantastic shot!   

Now that clip that you shared . . . starts off, appropriately enough, with a soundtrack that is IMHO reminiscent of the Godfather . . . and while it lightens up to a degree that is far too "sunny" for the Godfather, it nonetheless conjured up a vision of Luca Brasi and Don Vito making someone an offer they couldn't refuse.  Almost like saying poor Hee Jeong Lim never stood a chance!  

Great round by Jin Young . . . a second round of 64 to catch the leader and force a playoff! 

That soundtrack/tune in the video that @iBanesto shared today= an ear worm! 🦻🐛 

“Paying it forward”... in case others had similar “what’s that tune” questions... 

Link below= my Guess (based on Shazam(!))

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Good question. She just picked up her 11th LPGA win in just under 4 years. 'Nevermind the 12 wins on the KLPGA previously. 

Lorena didn't win in her rookie season (2003). She had nine wins by the end of her 4th year, which included 6 wins in 2006. She had 56 (8/18/10/20) Top 10's.

Annika also didn't win in her rookie season (1994). She had 12 wins by the end of her 4th year, including 6 wins in '97. She had 47 (3/14/14/16) top 10's.

I think most would agree that the competition Jin Young is facing is collectively better then the players in the 90's and 00's. 

Thanks for the analysis.

It is quite amazing how Ko's game has lifted after the 1st half of the season which was average (by her standards) and the wrist injury.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBong said:

Did you see the MOON ball Godzilla hit into 18 as his 2nd shot approach that spun and stuck...then made the eagle putt.

Congrats!

Tringale looked like a goof playing up to the galleries on the weekend.

The Japanese are too polite to tell him to stop his fake BS waves/gestures.

Of course!  Here's the shot (see below) - I even recorded it LOL.  Bomb(s) off the tee, then using a hybrid to bomb it again  into the green on that par 5 with the others way short of the green in 2 - heck Tringale bogey-ed that last hole (making it anti-climactic) and giving him that 5 stroke lead.   Methinks this guy putts like Lexi - all mental mistakes on <10footers and makes 15-30 footers since there's more "freedom" to swing freely on those putts - one big difference is that Hideki hits his irons extremely well (relative to Lexi).  Iron play is key in any league, but IMHO more so in the PGA/LPGA.  (exhibits A-Z incl: Hideki, Tiger, Morikawa, JT, JYK, Inbee, etc etc etc)  Weak iron players have a tough time so Bianca P definitely needs to improve that on her game to be more competitive in the LPGA

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.47.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.47.24 AM.png

• Haha 1

Another interesting fact to add to the growing list of Jin Young Ko . . . her win today was the 200th win on the LPGA by a South Korean, joining Ok-Hee Ku (1st), Ju Mi Kim (50th), So Yeon Ryu (100th), and Amy Yang (150th).

With today's win, Jin Young is projecte to regain World No.1 ranking and she has won the Leaders Top 10 competition and she moves into top spot in the Race to the CME Globe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Fantastic shot!   

Yup....that music was really weird.

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Seriously...how do you know or where did you gather all the above stats?

Are you secretly working for the KPMG LPGA analytics dept. in retirement?🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Another interesting fact to add to the growing list of Jin Young Ko . . . her win today was the 200th win on the LPGA by a South Korean, joining Ok-Hee Ku (1st), Ju Mi Kim (50th), So Yeon Ryu (100th), and Amy Yang (150th).

With today's win, Jin Young is projecte to regain World No.1 ranking and she has won the Leaders Top 10 competition and she moves into top spot in the Race to the CME Globe.

Just like the above post...how did you gather the above stats?....do you have a desk next to @Argonne69 in the KPMG analytics office?

I assume @18majors has a cubicle next to you guys with his HUGE spreadsheet tracking Nelly's, Yealimi's and Rose Zhang's hourly Instagram followers.

18majors will provide us an Instagram update for sure on Sunday Oct 31 when Nelly announces her new $50M endorsement from LA.

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Of course!  Here's the shot (see below) - I even recorded it LOL.  Bomb(s) off the tee, then using a hybrid to bomb it again  into the green on that par 5 with the others way short of the green in 2 - heck Tringale bogey-ed that last hole (making it anti-climactic) and giving him that 5 stroke lead.   Methinks this guy putts like Lexi - all mental mistakes on <10footers and makes 15-30 footers since there's more "freedom" to swing freely on those putts - one big difference is that Hideki hits his irons extremely well (relative to Lexi).  Iron play is key in any league, but IMHO more so in the PGA/LPGA.  (exhibits A-Z incl: Hideki, Tiger, Morikawa, JT, JYK, Inbee, etc etc etc)  Weak iron players have a tough time so Bianca P definitely needs to improve that on her game to be more competitive in the LPGA

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.47.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 2.47.24 AM.png

Yup...Hideki putts like Lexi and Brooke....he's win the MOOSE award many times on the PGA tour.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

What's so creepy about her/golf attire?

I don't believe @BadgerLin thinks Yoo's apparel was creepy...I think Badger was too shy or too nice  to come out and EXPLICITLY call out all the old geezer horn dogs in the LPGA fashion thread as CREEPY who looked at the fashion thread over 1 million times.🤣

Knee highs RULE!....Kaboom Baby!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Commentators mentioned those InGee knee-high socks 🧦

= compression/ flight socks (?)

Ya....I think the commentators must have mentioned In Gee's knee highs at least twice each day from Fri to Sun...when Dumbo wore them.

They are playing up to their audience's taste..... cause they know many WRX members and the 8000+ Flying Dumbo fanboys would be tuning in to watch each day.

Luckily no spectators were allowed this year...I don't think there would have been enough volunteer marshals recruited in Busan to fend off all the 8000+ Flying Dumbo fanboys and 10000+ Namdalla Attack Girls.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KBong said:

I assume @18majors has a cubicle next to you guys with his HUGE spreadsheet tracking Nelly's, Yealimi's and Rose Zhang's hourly Instagram followers.

Just a FYI, Jin Young Ko is stuck at 21,500 followers even with four wins in her last seven events.

Nobody, outside of Korea, WRX and Seoul Sisters, cares when a Korean wins an event.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KBong said:

Just like the above post...how did you gather the above stats?....do you have a desk next to @Argonne69 in the KPMG analytics office?

18majors will provide us an Instagram update for sure on Sunday Oct 31 when Nelly announces her new $50M endorsement from LA.

EDIT

@Golf Dino ok....you're NOT THAT GOOD and you don't work beside @Argonne69 at the KPMG analytics office.

You PLAGERIZED the stat from this LPGA article I just opened up....lol.

https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/ko-reflects-on-historic-win-overcoming-season-struggles

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Just a FYI, Jin Young Ko is stuck at 21,500 followers even with four wins in her last seven events.

Nobody, outside of Korea, WRX and Seoul Sisters, cares when a Korean wins an event.

They must be all relatives of Jan Stephenson.🤣

I wonder if Jan had her name in the hat as a candidate for LPGA commish...if the idiots at time on the LPGA's BoD could hire Bivens....then why not Jan nowadays.

I still say the current LPGA BoD made a huge mistake not hiring BJ...the man is a marketing and negotiating GENIUS.

10 minutes ago, KBong said:

They must be all relatives of Jan Stephenson.🤣

Don't dodge the issue, it has nothing do so with Jan Stephenson.

Koreans won, fairly and squarely, they deserve all the accolades.  But, it's also true that LPGA isn't for the better because of that.

It's up to the Americans, Europeans, Australians and other Asians to get better and win their fair share of tournaments.

Edited by 18majors

33 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Now I feel bad, I don't think I follow JYK on Instagram even though I follow quite a few completely random Korean and Japanese golfers.  I blame it on (almost) giving up Instragram for 2021 because social media is kinda toxic.

Also, the circle of people I know that follow women's golf at least casually doesn't really seem to overlap with the circle of Instagram users.  Don't know if that makes your second assertion questionable or not, I'll have to ask around to see how many of them care this week.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 18majors said:

1) Don't dodge the issue, it has nothing do so with Jan Stephenson.

2) Koreans won, fairly and squarely, they deserve all the accolades.  But, it's also true that LPGA isn't for the better because of that.

2) It's up to the Americans, Europeans, Australians and other Asians to get better and win their fair share of tournaments.

1) LMAO....it's hilarious how you take my sarcasm so literally...Hello McFly.

2) Not surprised this comment coming from an American.

The LPGA didn't seem to be struggling back in the days when Annika, Karrie Webb, Se Ri Pak and Lorena Ochoa...all non-Americans...were dominating the LPGA.

There's been recent posts how Lorena is ADORED by many...including many American WRX fans.

Purses and TV coverage has been increasing even in the past decade with the Korean domination.

If the Koreans are dominating...good for them...cause it's likely they are outworking others...survival of the fittest.

3) Why?.....if one is a TRUE fan of golf....I want to see the BEST win....I don't care what nationality they are.

Golf is mainly an individual sport...I'm only speaking for myself....I root for players I like....I don't care what country they come from....I like pros from all over the world.

As a Canuck, I don't fawn over Brooke...why?...because she is just not a fav of mine....I couldn't care less that she's a Canadian.

I also think Mike Weir is an aloof dbag.

Edited by KBong

7 minutes ago, KBong said:

3) Why?.....if one is a TRUE fan of golf....I want to see the BEST win....I don't care what nationality they are.

You're already a fan, we can't grow the game by having you as a fan.

We all want the best to win; but to grow the game we need more nations to produce winners.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, postfold said:

Also, the circle of people I know that follow women's golf at least casually doesn't really seem to overlap with the circle of Instagram users.  Don't know if that makes your second assertion questionable or not, I'll have to ask around to see how many of them care this week.

At WRX, we're talking to no more than 300 posters on LPGA forum, a very small sample.

Instagram is a universe of at least 2.0 billion viewers; they vote everyday by what they've heard, read or seen.

34 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

Is there different restrictions between Korea and Japan?

I'm seeing lots of fans for men's golf in Japan..

I know that LPGA and KLPGA is big in Korea.. surprised with lack of fans..

Yeah, different protocols at the moment. The JLPGA's tournament this week had plenty of fans.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

EDIT

@Golf Dino ok....you're NOT THAT GOOD and you don't work beside @Argonne69 at the KPMG analytics office.

You PLAGERIZED the stat from this LPGA article I just opened up....lol.

https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/ko-reflects-on-historic-win-overcoming-season-struggles

We receive them regularly 😛   for background on  writing or producing stories, etc.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1