How to hit the ball as high as possible to carry trees off the tee?

hammersia

180yrds out and a 100’ up.  That’s a tall ask.  Every club in my bag is ~100’ at apex.  Would love to see this in person.  Would be a fantastic “put your money where your mouth is” GolfWRX promotion.  Probably raise enough money to cure cancer.

Sight unseen, I’m leaning towards the punchy 3,4,5 iron to run it passed said Cedar low and mean-like.

Scenario 2)  Round up a buddy or two and have yourselves a little “accident” with some 87 octane and a lit cigarette ~ allegedly of course. 🤣

Cedar wood-fired S’mores anyone???

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

10 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

As a former veteran caddie, I will be bold and tell you what you need to do vs. what you want to do. Learn to hit a fade.

image.png.4512b0f036c08b47dd3deb1a52a1e8f4.png First, consider that this is a cedar tree. You didn't show us an actual picture of it, but chances are it has a conical canopy. Basically, it's wide near the ground line but tapers up in a rough triangle as it gets taller.

If this is the type of cedar tree you face, you may have quite a bit more flight space left to right than you think you do.

As for hitting a fade... again, this would fit the shape of the  hole better. And, you will be hitting a tee shot off of level ground, with the ball teed at whatever height you like. This is ideal conditions for hitting a golf shot.

You'll have to practice the shot, but it can be mastered. And, a 3W or hybrid may be easier to fade than a driver. Go with what works!

Going over vs. going around reminds me of a story a former colleague told me about martial arts training. He was nearing 50, and wanted to get back into the workouts. He talked to his elderly sensei about his concerns with flexibility.

"I'm really having trouble getting any power in my head-level roundhouse kick," he lamented.

The elderly sensei said, "Why kick him in the head? Just kick him in the knee. He does down either way... and the knee kick is safer🤔

I appreciate the detailed response, off the tee the hole looks like this, yes more trees and bushes straight in front of you before you get to the cedar, which is quite wide at the top (not sure of age of photo but fairly recent).

1818003956_1st2.jpg.2e02fae147d3ef8d3635cd74717f0042.jpg

A view from the ladies tee much further left and further forward:

2022181440_1st3.jpg.099b7ab194fc3386f8bf8d482407a388.jpg

The hole runs slightly uphill and the branches are very low so I've never seen a ball pitch before the tree and run through into the clear. As you can see, the trees further up the left towards the green are mature as well, your only clear approach from a spot left of the cedar would have to be in a corridor maximum 5 yards wide. OB left if you hit a branch. 

So as you can see, it sets up for a fade - to get to the spot you are highlighting, with a fade, in yellow scales at 230 yards slightly uphill, starting line the right edge of the last orange tree - and OB is the trunk of the orange trees in the first photo.

Whereas right - actually aiming for that path to the right of the fairway, level or past the cedar - normally leaves you a clear shot to the green. And that's a big high, fairly long slice otherwise you are in the bushes straight in front of you.

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

I appreciate the detailed response, off the tee the hole looks like this, yes more trees and bushes straight in front of you before you get to the cedar, which is quite wide at the top (not sure of age of photo but fairly recent).

1818003956_1st2.jpg.2e02fae147d3ef8d3635cd74717f0042.jpg

A view from the ladies tee much further left and further forward:

2022181440_1st3.jpg.099b7ab194fc3386f8bf8d482407a388.jpg

The hole runs slightly uphill and the branches are very low so I've never seen a ball pitch before the tree and run through into the clear. As you can see, the trees further up the left towards the green are mature as well, your only clear approach from a spot left of the cedar would have to be in a corridor maximum 5 yards wide. OB left if you hit a branch. 

So as you can see, it sets up for a fade - to get to the spot you are highlighting, with a fade, in yellow scales at 230 yards slightly uphill, starting line the right edge of the last orange tree - and OB is the trunk of the orange trees in the first photo.

Whereas right - actually aiming for that path to the right of the fairway, level or past the cedar - normally leaves you a clear shot to the green. And that's a big high, fairly long slice otherwise you are in the bushes straight in front of you.

Edited by milesgiles

srs suggestion

the committee wont want to do anything if possible. Thats the purpose of committees. You need evidence, so I would stand there on a busy morning and detail the result of every tee shot. See how many out of 100 result in a clear shot to the green. 

• Like 1

If I tee it up 1/2" higher and 2" forward I don't even have to think about it and the trajectory is considerably higher.  Fun when there's a tail wind.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Played a tourney last October....

2nd Hole par 5 dogleg left had a HUGE net on the left to force you to play a draw or lay up.  Well I wasn't playin draw well then and played the power fade.  So I tee'd the ball as high as possible dropped that back shoulder as Low as possible and hit that motha as high and hard as possible..... made it over the net by 1 foot and found the middle of the fairway.... got a good laugh from the group.... missed qualifying by 1 shot lol 🦆

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I would put together that you do not hit the driver far enough to carry the tree. So with that being said, teeing it up would put you into a problem of not being able to hit it far enough. Looking at the tree right now, I would play target golf and really get me to a point to where I have a clear shot at the hole. If it is hitting a 3 wood or 5 wood on the left side of the tree, then so be it. With that being said, the hole being 360 yards means I would hit something in the range of 220 to 250. That would keep me from reaching the trees on the left side if I nail the shot and if I can hit 220 that is based on hitting a fairly straight shot. Now that would leave me a 140 yard shot and put a 8 or 9 iron into the hole. It is all risk reward and if clearing the tree means you would have a 80 yard shot, it really doesnt give you an clear benefit to taking on the risk. Now with that being said, I have achieved hitting a high ball when I try to hit a fade on purpose. I usually have my stance more open and I push the ball position right in front of my lead foot. With that I adjust how the club sits before I address the ball with by grip. That for me promotes coming up on the ball more. 

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness