2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Current Music - College Radio/Indie

jholz

Assuming the goal of this thread is to discover different as well as new music, it has exposed me to bands I was not familiar with, I offer another weird one.:classic_biggrin:

Not current but one of my favorite albums.  Peter Ulrich is the former drummer of Dead Can Dance.  His first solo album Pathways & Dawns with significant contribution from Brendan Perry.  Music is great but Ulrich's singing leaves a little to be desired.

https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/track/life-amongst-the-black-sheep

https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/album/pathways-and-dawns

Edited by TM4me

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

I’ve been listening to Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) for several years. Here are a couple from ‘05

Oh yeah, for sure. A rather prolific talent. I've always been partial to this one myself:

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, TM4me said:

Assuming the goal of this thread is to discover different as well as new music, it has exposed me to bands I was not familiar with, I offer another weird one.:classic_biggrin:

Not current but one of my favorite albums.  Peter Ulrich is the former drummer of Dead Can Dance.  His first solo album Pathways & Dawns with significant contribution from Brendan Perry.  Music is great but Ulrich's singing leaves a little to be desired.

https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/track/life-amongst-the-black-sheep

https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/album/pathways-and-dawns

Who that's crazy. Haven't thought about Dead Can Dance in probably thirty years. I owned a couple of their albums. Got introduced through this song, that was used for the closing credits of Plan B's "Questionable" waaaay back in the day.

And yeah man, I love being introduced to new stuff. Thanks for your contributions. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

or
or

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Here are few more that came to mind. Far from current, but definitely ‘college radio/indie’. Enjoy

Classics, for sure. That first Shins album was absolutely wonderful. My favorite track was this one (incidentally also featured in Transoworld Skateboarding's "Sight Unseen"):

And how can you go wrong with Band of Horses. Always loved this track

Fleet Foxes I've never given much of a listen, I must admit. But, I know that they are loved by many and they've been prolific both together and as part of other projects. Must be doing something right.

• Like 1

or
or

Not current but a great song you may not have heard.  You don't get the full power of the song on computer speakers.  The drums sound ominous on a proper system. 

According to Vladimir Propp, the original "rusalka" was an appellation used by pagan Slavic peoples, who linked them with fertility and did not consider rusalki evil before the 19th century. They came out of the water in the spring to transfer life-giving moisture to the fields and thus helped nurture the crops.

In 19th-century versions, a rusalka is an unquiet, dangerous being who is no longer alive, associated with the unclean spirit. According to Dmitry Zelenin, young women, who either committed suicide by drowning due to an unhappy marriage (they might have been jilted by their lovers or abused and harassed by their much older husbands) or who were violently drowned against their will (especially after becoming pregnant with unwanted children), must live out their designated time on Earth as rusalki. However, the initial Slavic lore suggests that not all rusalki occurrences were linked with death from water.

It is accounted by most stories that the soul of a young woman who had died in or near a river or a lake would come back to haunt that waterway. This undead rusalka is not invariably malevolent, and would be allowed to die in peace if her death is avenged. Her main purpose is, however, to lure young men, seduced by either her looks or her voice, into the depths of said waterways where she would entangle their feet with her long hair and submerge them. Her body would instantly become very slippery and not allow the victim to cling on to her body in order to reach the surface. She would then wait until the victim had drowned, or, on some occasions, tickle them to death, as she laughed. It is also believed, by a few accounts, that rusalki can change their appearance to match the tastes of men they are about to seduce, although a rusalka is generally considered to represent universal beauty, therefore is highly feared yet respected in Slavic culture.

In most beliefs rusalki always have loose hair, which is popularly considered a sign of unclean spirits. According to Dal's Explanatory Dictionary, the expression "Walks like a rusalka" (Russian: Ходит, как русалка) is applied to girls with unkempt hair. The hair of the rusalka can be fair, black, greenish or completely green. An important attribute of the water maiden is the comb, usually made from fish bones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

Edited by TM4me

On 11/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, jholz said:

Interesting. Lots of cool things going on in Brooklyn for sure. I'll have to check these dudes out. Thank you!

Heard these folks on WTMD just the other day. Interesting combination of thick and thin musical stylings. Lots to like, but I'm not sure the gospel style vocals are my thing.

or
or

On 11/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, Uncle_Buck2 said:

If you like the Petey song, you'd definitely like LCD Soundsystem if you're not into them already. If you like the EDM/Indie vibe, here's a few:

LCD Soundsystem is one of those bands I would always hear about, but never gave them much of a listen honestly. This track is really nice. Thanks for introducing me to it.

I just listened to it the first time and really enjoyed it. Then, I watched the video and wanted to kill myself. Good Lord!

or
or

Hadn't thought about these guys in a while, but ran into one of their songs over the weekend. Scottish rock at it's finest:

• Like 1

or
or

Another favorite and one of the hardest working singer/songwriters in the business Andrew Bird. Saw him in Birmingham once. His multiple instruments and looping are impressive to see and hear.

• Like 1

or
or

And finally, an obscure little track that always makes me think about my wife:

• Like 1

or
or

18 hours ago, jholz said:

LCD Soundsystem is one of those bands I would always hear about, but never gave them much of a listen honestly. This track is really nice. Thanks for introducing me to it.

I just listened to it the first time and really enjoyed it. Then, I watched the video and wanted to kill myself. Good Lord!

Another really cool project to check out is The New Basement Tapes. It's Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), Elvis Costello, and a few others. They recorded an album of unreleased Bob Dylan songs, it's really cool. 

• Like 1

Last week I went to see Milky Chance and Giant Rooks as the opener.  Milky was really good, no doubt about it, but these boys got a standing "O" as the opener.  That is unheard of.  They were very, very good and I would highly recommend going to see the show.  And, the video is pretty slow by comparison to how this worked out live.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, TM4me said:

Into The Labyrinth is my favorite Dead Can Dance album.

It's weird, I will admit, but the more I listen to Dead Can Dance, the more I am left thinking about Devotchka. Gotta be the vocals. 

Dead Can Dance is obviously more musically varied and experimental, but something about the feel is similar. Can't quite place it.

or
or

On 11/24/2021 at 1:09 PM, Petethreeput said:

Last week I went to see Milky Chance and Giant Rooks as the opener.  Milky was really good, no doubt about it, but these boys got a standing "O" as the opener.  That is unheard of.  They were very, very good and I would highly recommend going to see the show.  And, the video is pretty slow by comparison to how this worked out live.

Wow, that is really nice. They are a little bit "too into their music" for my shoe gaze sensibilities, if you know what I mean, but very intriguing sound. I'm gonna have to listen to more. 

Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1

or
or

On 11/27/2021 at 6:45 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

I run across this every once and a while,,, and I continue to be amazed they are not more popular...

Wow, I really like that one. It did actually show up in that episode of Rick and Morty, didn't it? I remember being intrigued at the time then never followed up. Thanks for brining it back to my attention!

or
or

10 minutes ago, jholz said:

Wow, that is really nice. They are a little bit "too into their music" for my shoe gaze sensibilities, if you know what I mean, but very intriguing sound. I'm gonna have to listen to more. 

Thank you for the suggestion!

I hear you.  I went with an ex-college football player and I played college soccer.  We both agreed, the lead singer is the guy we wouldn't have hung out with or even spoken with in college, but he is a compelling figure.  I think for a band to make it, they have to have that magnetic person in the front like Bono, Jagger, etc. and this kid has it.  The show was fantastic, if these guys roll through your area, its worth the $45.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:36 PM, TiScape said:

Man, this one has a great quality to it too. I hear these folks occasionally on WTMD and the name always sounds like they should be good - I mean, Manchester right, Stone Roses, Smiths, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, the list goes on....how could it be bad?

I love a song that grabs you in the first three seconds - but then there are those ones that don't really get good until you're like 5 minutes in. There's something special about that. I can see that quality here. 

Two of my favorites along that line:

I mean, it could be pretty much any Modest Mouse song, but this one always sticks in my mind:

And then the quintessential "I have to wait through 6 minutes of noise to hear something good" song, Yndi Halda, holy crap...give it a minute, I promise it gets good:

or
or

2 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I hear you.  I went with an ex-college football player and I played college soccer.  We both agreed, the lead singer is the guy we wouldn't have hung out with or even spoken with in college, but he is a compelling figure.  I think for a band to make it, they have to have that magnetic person in the front like Bono, Jagger, etc. and this kid has it.  The show was fantastic, if these guys roll through your area, its worth the $45.

Man, I can imagine. One of the best shows I've ever seen, honestly, was Kula Shaker in the states. They were a big band in Britain but almost no one listened to them here. They showed up with a stadium level PA and show for an audience of about 500. Absolutely blew me away. 

Can't wait to see some live music again soon!

• Like 1

or
or

So hey everyone, sorry I've been absent for a couple of weeks - but thanks to all of you for your contributions to this thread. You are introducing me to some great new stuff, and I hope that I am doing the same. 

Here's a few more tracks from me:

First Lord Huron - a bit Hollywood, but man, such a great sound:

Also Rouge Wave - some great original stuff - but also absolutely wonderful covers (which I greatly appreciate!):

A pop-y "feel good" tune:

And an "almost mainstream" one that's really got a grip on me right now - although I kind of hate to admit it:

• Like 1

or
or

Was picking up the kids from school and caught this one on WTMD. Hadn't heard this one yet, and kind of kicking myself for not being able to place it. I've seen Modest Mouse more than any other band. Just can't get enough.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

or
or