2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby 2022

Millhill88

1 hour ago, Therty said:

Should be Q4. Q2 2023 for TS4.

Hoping for a leak on the specs.  They will determine which direction I go.  Loved the look and feel of the TS2's I bagged last year, just too much offset for my liking.  TS1's didn't play as well as the 2's for me.  If the 3's fall in between, it'll be a winner for me.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

9 minutes ago, Millhill88 said:

Hoping for a leak on the specs.  They will determine which direction I go.  Loved the look and feel of the TS2's I bagged last year, just too much offset for my liking.  TS1's didn't play as well as the 2's for me.  If the 3's fall in between, it'll be a winner for me.

No full specs yet.  But the MPF Ratings has the TS3 6 iron at 28*.  Same as the PTM, TS1 & 2 at 26*.  Extrapolate however you choose.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no; another Maltby is in the bag.

Purchased the Maltby KE4 Tour TC #5 Hybrid Premium Pak with the Rapport Core Blue Hybrid shaft. No issues with the assembly and the main components, head and shaft were right on the published specifications. Zero issues with assembly although I did change the stock 4 gram with a 6 gram weight to get the swingweight up to the D3 range.

The majority of the reviews on Golfworks for the KE4 Tour TC hybrids are positive.  I'll concur with the majority of those posted reviews, this is an awesome hybrid. It frames up behind the ball nicely and looks good at address, it's easy to hit and has a solid feel and sound. I'm getting the launch, ball flight and distance I was hoping for as this #5 hybrid is filling the gap between my 5 iron and #4 hybrid.

I now have in my bag 2 of the Forged TSW wedges, a set of Forged DBM irons and a KE4 Tour TC hybrid. No negative thoughts or feels when I'm ready to play a shot with any one of these clubs. Ha! Before I know it I may have a full bag of Maltby's......although a driver may be a bit of a stretch to try.  Time will tell.  😜

Edited by QuickFeet
added text
  • Like 2

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

4 hours ago, QuickFeet said:

Oh no; another Maltby is in the bag.

Purchased the Maltby KE4 Tour TC #5 Hybrid Premium Pak with the Rapport Core Blue Hybrid shaft. No issues with the assembly and the main components, head and shaft were right on the published specifications. Zero issues with assembly although I did change the stock 4 gram with a 6 gram weight to get the swingweight up to the D3 range.

The majority of the reviews on Golfworks for the KE4 Tour TC hybrids are positive.  I'll concur with the majority of those posted reviews, this is an awesome hybrid. It frames up behind the ball nicely and looks good at address, it's easy to hit and has a solid feel and sound. I'm getting the launch, ball flight and distance I was hoping for as this #5 hybrid is filling the gap between my 5 iron and #4 hybrid.

I now have in my bag 2 of the Forged TSW wedges, a set of Forged DBM irons and a KE4 Tour TC hybrid. No negative thoughts or feels when I'm ready to play a shot with any one of these clubs. Ha! Before I know it I may have a full bag of Maltby's......although a driver may be a bit of a stretch to try.  Time will tell.  😜

The TC Tour fairways are a solid choice. 👀

• Thanks 1

I just got my TS1 4 iron in today. I changed out my iron shafts to some AMT S300 shafts in my 5-9 iron, and had the 4 iron shaft laying around. It’s currently epoxied and drying on the patio. I’ll get my first go with it tomorrow when I play. 

I figured I’d give the TS1 4 iron a chance because a buddy of mine ordered a set of these, and they felt great when trying them out. The price made it a really easy experiment since I already had the shaft. 

Edited by jah7838
Autocorrect- price instead of pride 🤦🏽‍♂️
  • Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 4 weeks later...

My SIL purchased the STi2's 5-GW.  He got them -1/4 (he's 5'7" - 5'8").  I hit them and they feel REALLY nice.  Even though the lofts aren't as jacked as my Sim2's I hit them same distance even being shorter length.  The top line is almost as thin as a players club with a minimal offset.  they are SGI vs. UGI.  Has anyone built and used these as well?

I purchased the 21* KE4 TC HyWay UW and a KE4 TC 16* 4W.  I've only used the clubs minimally so far but I like the results I've gotten out of them to this point.  Playing again on Sunday and will likely use them a bit more as the course I'm playing is more of a shot placement and not a grip it and rip it type.

• Like 1

Just put the TS2 irons back in the bag, along with some new Max Milled wedges and Tour TC Hybrid.   Checking weekly for the TS3 release.  Feeling the Maltby Love lately...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Millhill88 said:

Just put the TS2 irons back in the bag, along with some new Max Milled wedges and Tour TC Hybrid.   Checking weekly for the TS3 release.  Feeling the Maltby Love lately...

How do you like the max wedges? I've been eyeing them as replacements.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

1 hour ago, spartan6910 said:

The Max wedges are great heads.  Been playing a 58* 1.05 for a couple months now.  Very versatile from a variety of turf lies and sand.  For $50 (already had a shaft), was a no-brainer decision.  A bit heavier head, if that's an issue.  Before next golf season, will be adding a 54*.  Not sure yet on width.  Been playing a 54* TSW, but continues to prove troublesome from lusher turf lies.  Really wants to dig excessively on full swing shots in my hands.  As always with opinions such as this, YMMV.  

Go Green!  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

The Max wedges are great heads.  Been playing a 58* 1.05 for a couple months now.  Very versatile from a variety of turf lies and sand.  For $50 (already had a shaft), was a no-brainer decision.  A bit heavier head, if that's an issue.  Before next golf season, will be adding a 54*.  Not sure yet on width.  Been playing a 54* TSW, but continues to prove troublesome from lusher turf lies.  Really wants to dig excessively on full swing shots in my hands.  As always with opinions such as this, YMMV.  

Go Green!  

Thanks for the input. If you don't mind me asking, what's your hcp and/or how would you rate your short game? From what I've read, it seems like I may be better suited to the .9 sole, but I'm really not sure. I'm in SoCal now, so I'm not getting lush conditions like I assume you are in Michigan.

Go White!

Edited by spartan6910

Bettinardi Queen B #8

@spartan6910 No problem for a fellow Spartan.  Don't have a handicap, no need.  Typically shoot in the mid-80's, depending.  Full swing, wedge play is decent.  Dispersion is suspect at times.  Short game chip and pitch has been dreadful this year.   Always been a pretty good sand player.  The 58* 1.05 has helped, with the lusher turf frequently encountered here.  Compared to the 58* Cleveland 900 prior (narrower sole), the Max is an easier club to hit consistently.  Plus, like the feel of playing a forged head.  The wider sole makes the effective bounce play higher than stated.  Like sensing the bounce working for me, past the days of muscling a wedge down and through the ball.  If I routinely encountered firmer, tighter lies, the .90 might be the better choice.  I don't typical manipulate the clubhead (i.e. open it up).  But have not had an issue when I've attempted it.  The Max does have some heel relief.  Beyond that, not knowledgeable about grinds and all that.  Wedges either work decently, or they don't.  

As a seasoned golfer, of modest abilities, looking for forgiveness and easier to swing clubs throughout the bag.  I installed TT XP 95 regular in both Maltby wedges.  That in and of itself was an improvement over the ubiquitous "wedge" flex shafts that had become ponderous.  Especially in comparison to the LW graphites used in the TS1's.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

@spartan6910 No problem for a fellow Spartan.  Don't have a handicap, no need.  Typically shoot in the mid-80's, depending.  Full swing, wedge play is decent.  Dispersion is suspect at times.  Short game chip and pitch has been dreadful this year.   Always been a pretty good sand player.  The 58* 1.05 has helped, with the lusher turf frequently encountered here.  Compared to the 58* Cleveland 900 prior (narrower sole), the Max is an easier club to hit consistently.  Plus, like the feel of playing a forged head.  The wider sole makes the effective bounce play higher than stated.  Like sensing the bounce working for me, past the days of muscling a wedge down and through the ball.  If I routinely encountered firmer, tighter lies, the .90 might be the better choice.  I don't typical manipulate the clubhead (i.e. open it up).  But have not had an issue when I've attempted it.  The Max does have some heel relief.  Beyond that, not knowledgeable about grinds and all that.  Wedges either work decently, or they don't.  

As a seasoned golfer, of modest abilities, looking for forgiveness and easier to swing clubs throughout the bag.  I installed TT XP 95 regular in both Maltby wedges.  That in and of itself was an improvement over the ubiquitous "wedge" flex shafts that had become ponderous.  Especially in comparison to the LW graphites used in the TS1's.  

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I may end up going .9 in a 50* and 1.05 in a 56* or 58*. Thanks!

• Like 1

Bettinardi Queen B #8

On 9/1/2022 at 1:22 PM, Millhill88 said:

Just put the Tour TC 4W and 21* HyWay UW in the bag a few weeks ago.  Loving them!  Finally a FW and UW/Hybrid I can hit from the fairway

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Just put the Tour TC 4W and 21* HyWay UW in the bag a few weeks ago.  Loving them!  Finally a FW and UW/Hybrid I can hit from the fairway

Tell us more. Off the deck is where it matters to me. Is the tall face helpful? That’s the only detail I’ve seen that I worry about. Sometimes I struggle off the deck if the face looks tall, like they often do in the TaylorMade Max line, for example. But too low a profile presents other issues. Tricky to get it right.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Tell us more. Off the deck is where it matters to me. Is the tall face helpful? That’s the only detail I’ve seen that I worry about. Sometimes I struggle off the deck if the face looks tall, like they often do in the TaylorMade Max line, for example. But too low a profile presents other issues. Tricky to get it right.

Don’t want to steal cig’s thunder, but I’ll share my experience from this evening. 

Dogleg right and I flushed my TC 16* 4 wood off the tee. Unfortunately too good and it went through the fairway into the rough. Gnarly thick rough, 180 to the front, 200+\- to the pin with water left. Pulled the 21* Hyway, choked down two inches and let it rip. Decent strike. Low bullet that carried 175 and rolled to pin high 20’. 

Two holes later. Pulled driver left and crashed into the trees. Found it sitting perfectly on hardpan dirt under the trees. 180 to the pin, tree canopy 20 yards in front maybe 20’ off the ground. Water right. Pulled the Hyway again. Hit it a little fat off the dirt but was rewarded with a low rising fade. Stayed under the canopy and then reached a good apex and faded back toward the green. Missed by 25’ but was a manageable up and down.

tldr: Two very difficult lies, one down in thick rough, one on hardpan dirt. Decent to middling strikes and was rewarded with results I didn’t deserve. Damn good rescue club.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mako J said:

Don’t want to steal cig’s thunder, but I’ll share my experience from this evening. 

Dogleg right and I flushed my TC 16* 4 wood off the tee. Unfortunately too good and it went through the fairway into the rough. Gnarly thick rough, 180 to the front, 200+\- to the pin with water left. Pulled the 21* Hyway, choked down two inches and let it rip. Decent strike. Low bullet that carried 175 and rolled to pin high 20’. 

Two holes later. Pulled driver left and crashed into the trees. Found it sitting perfectly on hardpan dirt under the trees. 180 to the pin, tree canopy 20 yards in front maybe 20’ off the ground. Water right. Pulled the Hyway again. Hit it a little fat off the dirt but was rewarded with a low rising fade. Stayed under the canopy and then reached a good apex and faded back toward the green. Missed by 25’ but was a manageable up and down.

tldr: Two very difficult lies, one down in thick rough, one on hardpan dirt. Decent to middling strikes and was rewarded with results I didn’t deserve. Damn good rescue club.

Excellent examples. Thanks so much. Which shaft do you have in that bad boy?

10 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

No thunder stolen @Mako J😉  My driver SS is 92-96 range ,55 yrs old, bad knees and a bit portly 😉. I have the MPF Pro Series in R flex (the MPF tends to run at a stiff R) had about 200+ to pin 195 to front on a looong par 4 (445 yds).  drive was in light-med rough just off fairway to an elevated green with a narrowing fairway up to the green protected on both sides and rear by deep bunkers.  Short was ideal for this shot for a short chip to pin.  took the 21* Hyway and flushed it 190 perfectly landing 5 yds short of the green.  Got up and down for bogey, which for me on that hole, is as good as a par.

ON a 430 yd par 4 dogleg left I hit a perfect drive about 235 into slight breeze but didn't cut the dogleg enough and had 190 yds to the front of an elevated green into a breeze.  Hit the 4W perfect to the front of the green.  That shot was playing about 205-210 which is my max for a 4W

• Like 1

Thanks @Mako J and @wantacigar Much appreciated. The shots you guys are hitting with the Hyway are perfect examples of what I seek. I am still unsettled at that 7 wood/3 hybrid distance. I am sold on my KE4 MAX 4 iron and I have noticed I am comfortably carrying it 195 even if I don’t hit it perfect. (I may have the wrong shaft in that one as I hard-stepped a 5 iron shaft in it and it is launching low, but that can be changed. And it still gets out there.)

I want a club that is more fairway wood than hybrid and comfortably carries 210. Am thinking of adding a 21 degree Hyway at 41 inches with either the Maltby shaft or a Paderson or a Rapport Blue. All 3 get strong reviews as quality shafts. If I can match 7 wood distance with a club 1 inch shorter, that makes a difference for me in control and separates it a little more from my fairway wood. Hit ‘em well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Thanks @Mako J and @wantacigar Much appreciated. The shots you guys are hitting with the Hyway are perfect examples of what I seek. I am still unsettled at that 7 wood/3 hybrid distance. I am sold on my KE4 MAX 4 iron and I have noticed I am comfortably carrying it 195 even if I don’t hit it perfect. (I may have the wrong shaft in that one as I hard-stepped a 5 iron shaft in it and it is launching low, but that can be changed. And it still gets out there.)

I want a club that is more fairway wood than hybrid and comfortably carries 210. Am thinking of adding a 21 degree Hyway at 41 inches with either the Maltby shaft or a Paderson or a Rapport Blue. All 3 get strong reviews as quality shafts. If I can match 7 wood distance with a club 1 inch shorter, that makes a difference for me in control and separates it a little more from my fairway wood. Hit ‘em well. 

I'm a bit strange in my bag.  I was never compatible with hybrids.  However, I found a Ping G30 3H that I hit really well and about the same distance as my Hyway that I hit really well.  I like keeping it in the bag for low trajectory punches, hardpan, etc.  I was thinking about getting the STi2 or KE4 Max in a 4i with the Score shaft in R flex to try out before I buy a set.  My Sim2 irons are two years old with about 80 - 100 rounds in them.  I'll actually be hitting the STi2's next week because my future son in law just purchased a set last month in the shaft and flex I was looking at.

54 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

The 21* hyway may be perfect for you. I’ve got to admit though, it took me some time to get used to it visually. It’s definitely more fairway than hybrid imo. It has a unique look at address. Once I got over that, it hasn’t left the bag.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, spartan6910 said:

They are really good.  The only thing I would change is the bounce.  I would add a bit more.  I have a steep swing and take large divots with my wedges and irons.  I have to be careful when on soft ground.  They will dig and it will be a little bit of a fat shot.   But that's on me and my swing, not the wedge.  A non steep or less steep swing path will have zero issues.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

I'm a bit strange in my bag.  I was never compatible with hybrids.  However, I found a Ping G30 3H that I hit really well and about the same distance as my Hyway that I hit really well.  I like keeping it in the bag for low trajectory punches, hardpan, etc.  I was thinking about getting the STi2 or KE4 Max in a 4i with the Score shaft in R flex to try out before I buy a set.  My Sim2 irons are two years old with about 80 - 100 rounds in them.  I'll actually be hitting the STi2's next week because my future son in law just purchased a set last month in the shaft and flex I was looking at.

Never was familiar with the STi2 until I tried the KE4 MAX, but I think the STi2 is also very appealing, as a long iron or a complete set. The reviews on it are positive. Looks like it is a slightly smaller profile than the KE4 MAX and offers a little more loft, which can be good in a long iron. The pak price they offer on the STi2 is so good. 

28 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Never was familiar with the STi2 until I tried the KE4 MAX, but I think the STi2 is also very appealing, as a long iron or a complete set. The reviews on it are positive. Looks like it is a slightly smaller profile than the KE4 MAX and offers a little more loft, which can be good in a long iron. The pak price they offer on the STi2 is so good. 

I know! I will be playing them on course next week with my future son in law.  I don't really think the loft will impede the distances I'm already getting on my Sim2's.  The loft on the Sim2 8i is 32*  The loft on the STi2 8i is 36*.  At the range I was getting similar distances with my Sim2.  The STi2 felt "softer" tho.  Almost forged like.  And they look much nicer in person than the website.  I've become such a Maltby fanboy this past year.  I'm buying the Max Milled 56* in 0.900 sole to replace my current Kirkland 56* which I really like but has become pretty chewed up from pebbly bunkers past two years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sold my TS1 heads six weeks ago and bought the KE4max as a replacement.  Was looking for something more forgiving, but after 5 rounds the soles on the KE4max just do not work for me.  I have never hit so many fat shots in my life.  I think my steeper angle of attack is not a good fit or the turf I play on is too firm.  I have a STi2 7iron I'll try, but the weather is going to push me indoors pretty soon.  We will see if the flatter sole on that head makes a difference....

Anyone looking for 5-G of the max, I can make you a deal.

Edited by Sparkey67
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sparkey67 said:

I sold my TS1 heads six weeks ago and bought the KE4max as a replacement.  Was looking for something more forgiving, but after 5 rounds the soles on the KE4max just do not work for me.  I have never hit so many fat shots in my life.  I think my steeper angle of attack is not a good fit or the turf I play on is too firm.  I have a STi2 7iron I'll try, but the weather is going to push me indoors pretty soon.  We will see if the flatter sole on that head makes a difference....

Anyone looking for 5-G of the max, I can make you a deal.

Dang, new stuff is always exciting.  It's disappointing to not get the results you were hoping for.  There isn't much difference between the bounce and sole width between the two sets.  Are they the same build otherwise; shaft, grip, length, overall weight and swingweight, etc.?

I'm very pleased with my Maltby results thus far.  Just need to add a driver and fairway.  😃

Edited by QuickFeet
spelling

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

6 hours ago, QuickFeet said:

Dang, new stuff is always exciting.  It's disappointing to not get the results you were hoping for.  There isn't much difference between the bounce and sole width between the two sets.  Are they the same build otherwise; shaft, grip, length, overall weight and swingweight, etc.?

I'm very pleased with my Maltby results thus far.  Just need to add a driver and fairway.  😃

Same shafts as were in the TS1's.  I wish I knew why I can't hit these.  Maybe the extra weight out in the toe of the club is screwing up how I swing ?  I did just get some lighter weights that I'll try in the 7.