Maltby 2022

Millhill88

On 12/22/2021 at 11:19 AM, 03trdblack said:

Here's the super game improvement iron if anyone wants to see it.

KE4.jpeg.7b15707d260788e97458662304f3cf70.jpeg

I have been playing Wilson Staff Pi5 irons with dynamic gold shafts for 17 years.  I am now 75 and am admitting that I may need game improvement irons.  I have built a bit of Maltby stuff and always have been pleased.  These look so great that I ordered the iron pack with the Rapport shafts.  As is usual, right after I ordered them, I played a couple of the best rounds of the year.  Go figure.  I am looking for a little more forgiveness and a little more height.  These should fit the bill.  Great job with the minimalist look rather than the gimmicked up look of most OEM heads.  I will just have to get past the thicker top line.  This will be the first time I have ever been 100% Maltby in my bag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered a set 6-G of the KE4 max. Plan to pair them with Rapid taper 95s. I need another set of iron like I need a hemorrhoid, but I really like the look of these and have been anxious to give the RTs another go. Will have to compete with the CBX irons in my bag right now, but at $180, why not.

• Like 4

I received my KE4 Max set of irons today.  More beautiful in person than the web pics.  I was pleased that the offset was minimal and not very apparent in the long irons.  Top line is just a little thicker than my staffs and look good at address.  Have not hit a ball but feel good to swing.  Have league tomorrow morning and going to play them.  Will see how it gpes.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Klubster said:

This was the first time I had Golfworks assemble anything.  First of all, they did a great job assembling them.  I had a chance to throw them on the swingweight scale this morning and the 4-9 irons were very consistent around D1 and the P and G wedges came in at about D4.  My only complaint was that the heads were still in the plastic shrink  wrap and the head weights were loose in most of them.  They need to open them up and tighten the weights.  Had I not noticed, I would have surely lost some. 

I am happy with the assembly option because as I age, assembly has become more like work than a hobby. 

Golf clubs.jpg

Golf club2.jpg

I am curious to hear your thoughts on the rapport shafts as well as the Max head.

15 hcp

I wish I could give you feedback on them.  Of the two solid shots I hit today, they were longer than my old Staffs.  First time I have played graphite irons.  Went from 130Gm Dynamic Gold to the 75Gm Rapport.  Club does not feel the same at the top and had trouble getting hands in position.  Will have to work on these on the range.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, propman said:

Went thru the same situation 2 years ago going from steel to graphite. 

No doubt its an adjustment going lighter. 

Any tips?  How long before you got comfortable?  Just a different feel at the top of the backswing and the mind seems to take over and the mind is a crappy golfer.

I do not think I am alone.  A friend of mine just went to Pings w/graphite.  Really good golfer and I watched him shank shot after shot in the lake.  I thought the clubs were going to follow.

Edited by Klubster
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Klubster said:

Any tips?  How long before you got comfortable?  Just a different feel at the top of the backswing and the mind seems to take over and the mind is a crappy golfer.

What worked for me was going to the range and limiting my swings to the easier to hit irons ie 8 thru gw.

Also, I concentrated on shortening my back swing ( I always have a tendency to overdo the backswing).

Also, just try to tone down my usual samarai pass at the ball. THINK "SMOOTH".

Took 2 or 3 range sessions to get somewhat adjusted to the weight diff.

Good luck. Graphite shafts are so much better on the joints/muscles. And when you nut one, the feeling is fantastic.

Keep in mind, I'm an old mid teens capper.

• Like 1

15 hcp

2 hours ago, Klubster said:

I do not think I am alone.  A friend of mine just went to Pings w/graphite.  Really good golfer and I watched him shank shot after shot in the lake.  I thought the clubs were going to follow.

When dropping shaftweight that much its very helpful to increase swingweight. I was using 125g shafts and my preferred swingweight was d3-4. When I switched to 110g shafts I had to go up to D6. 

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 2

Tried the Maltby max wedge as my first "test" into component brands instead of a major OEM.  Wedge feels great and puts plenty of spin on the ball.  Price of the Ping glide 4.0 wedge at $199 just seemed ridiculous to me.   

Now I am interested to see how the KE4 Max irons work for others.  Recently moved on from players type irons to G15 irons since I don't play / practice like I used to.  Can't see myself going back to a players type iron after seeing how forgiving irons have helped me hit more greens.  

• Like 1

I have played Maltby forged wedges that I built for years.  Every bit the equal to the OEM brands.  Since I got the Max irons, may replace the old wedges.  Not because I need to, but they are not bright and shiny like the new clubs.  They still have steel shafts and might switch those too.

Edited by Klubster
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Klubster said:

21 hours ago, Red4282 said:

When dropping shaftweight that much its very helpful to increase swingweight. I was using 125g shafts and my preferred swingweight was d3-4. When I switched to 110g shafts I had to go up to D6. 

I'm doing similar to what Red describes.  I picked up the idea from something I'd read from Dave Tutelman.  The idea is to take one third of the weight reduction and add it back at the clubhead.  

I don't follow it religiously, use it as a starting point, but it's surprising how little difference there is between the DaveT idea and my final results.  For the most part.

It's working fairly well.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

There may be something to game improvement irons.  It has been two weeks since I got my KE4 Max set.  Feeling more comfortable now. Hit my 4 iron for only the second time-did not even take it to the range-and absolutely purred it to the center of the green.  No problem getting it in the air, considering it is lofted like my old 3 iron that I only attempted when I was playing really well.  Anybody on the fence might want to give them a try.  They really do not look like GI irons at address.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Klubster said:

There may be something to game improvement irons.  It has been two weeks since I got my KE4 Max set.  Feeling more comfortable now. Hit my 4 iron for only the second time-did not even take it to the range-and absolutely purred it to the center of the green.  No problem getting it in the air, considering it is lofted like my old 3 iron that I only attempted when I was playing really well.  Anybody on the fence might want to give them a try.  They really do not look like GI irons at address.

I just got a KE4 Max demo head in yesterday and can’t wait to test. When I looked at the pics and specs online I expected a well designed but clunky looking ultra game improvement head. Boy, was I mistaken. 

I am blown away by the look of this head. First of all, the game improvement characteristics of it are not visually off putting in the least. The modest top line is shocking. The cavity while large is well hidden at address.

I fit myself into the TS-1 and I am loving every second of them right now. However, I am finding myself a bit jealous that the KE4 Max was not available when I first started my golf journey 10 years ago. My first clubs were a used set of Ping G10’s. While they were easy to hit and certainly did their job, I found them to be generally ugly to look at. I guess that was one of Ping’s staples at the time—ugly but a focus on playability. That being said, if these heads are as easy to hit as they are advertised then surely my younger self missed out lol. 

Something else that I am going to take advantage of when building sets of these is the fact that some of the club paks are available in 6, 7, and 8 clubs. This is something I wish Golfworks had more versatility with. I get why they can’t do it across all heads from an inventory perspective. It’s just the value junky in me that appreciates when I can save some coin and pass that along to whoever I am building for. 

• Like 1

I just built up a set of KE4 Max irons with KBS tour lite in X-flex.

Still waiting to rest them out as the weather has been terrible, I agree with previous posters there a great looking head much better in person than the pics online.

Comparing them to my srixon zx5s there's not a lot of difference size wise the top lines slightly thicker, slightly longer blade length and a tiny bit more offset, even sole width looks pretty similar.

Cant wait to hit them, the reason I built them up was I'm not getting out on course as much as I would like to and wanted something may give me a little more help.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ize said:

Still waiting to rest them out as the weather has been terrible, I agree with previous posters there a great looking head much better in person than the pics online.

Comparing them to my srixon zx5s there's not a lot of difference size wise the top lines slightly thicker, slightly longer blade length and a tiny bit more offset, even sole width looks pretty similar.

Cant wait to hit them, the reason I built them up was I'm not getting out on course as much as I would like to and wanted something may give me a little more help.

Interested in your thoughts once the weather clears.

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

On 2/16/2022 at 1:23 AM, PhillipG78 said:

Any idea how easy to the TS-4 will be to bend, they sound very similar to the P7TW and the Ping BluePrint and 59’s. Would love to get a set with same specs as the P7TW’s

Bending will be fine. Any forged Maltby can be bent 2-3 degrees either way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ize said:

I agree. These are like the perfect set to take out if you are not playing often. Or maybe if you are — the feel is excellent. I do wonder how the short irons will play vs more traditional construction but that’s about the only question I have. These look nice from address. The slightly thicker top line works because it is not super thick and it makes the blade length not seem too long. The sole is a real difference vs other irons in this category. Really like the camber on the trailing edge of the sole. They nailed the proportions IMO.

I hit the KE4 Max 4 iron again today and it was the same as the first. So I can say the long irons are about as good as you can find for ease of play. If you can’t hit these long irons, you can’t hit long irons. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Just received my set of KE Max irons today and hit the range - had the club pak built with the Score LT shafts as those are a great fit for me and I like how they feel.  This was sort of a flyer so I had a set of irons with which to play after a failed PXG fitting and subsequent return of the irons.  Figured the KE Max would make a good set for visiting people if I did not like them.

Agree with everyone else that they look much better in person that in the GW pictures.  The proportions are really well done so nothing screams GI (except the performance).  Even though they are made from 17-4, they feel quite nice.

Performance was very good.  Misses lost just a few yards and I really like the sole through the turf.  I adapted to how they went through the turf immediately which is pretty rare for me.  Definitely will be staying in the bag going forward.

2 minutes ago, bellairemi said:

Just received my set of KE Max irons today and hit the range - had the club pak built with the Score LT shafts as those are a great fit for me and I like how they feel.  This was sort of a flyer so I had a set of irons with which to play after a failed PXG fitting and subsequent return of the irons.  Figured the KE Max would make a good set for visiting people if I did not like them.

Agree with everyone else that they look much better in person that in the GW pictures.  The proportions are really well done so nothing screams GI (except the performance).  Even though they are made from 17-4, they feel quite nice.

Performance was very good.  Misses lost just a few yards and I really like the sole through the turf.  I adapted to how they went through the turf immediately which is pretty rare for me.  Definitely will be staying in the bag going forward.

How is the flight with the KE4 Max heads paired with the Score LT shafts? If those shafts really are the same as the old Dynalite 109 shafts (which was replaced with DG 105) those were good quality shafts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to try a set myself.  Going with the Rapport shafts in R, 1/4" long, with 1.5 degree upright lie.  

Ordered 6-GW, can't wait!!!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

On 6/28/2022 at 10:39 AM, goalie said:

I've decided to try a set myself.  Going with the Rapport shafts in R, 1/4" long, with 1.5 degree upright lie.  

Ordered 6-GW, can't wait!!!

Sounds like you’ve got your specs down.  I bet these irons will not disappoint! Always like to see reviews on the heads and Rapport shafts. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...