2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

Im late to the party.

Ive had my Mezz since beginning of the year. Ive had the Reno, 2.0 2.1 etc etc

The Mezz was what I really wanted out of a Lab putter. LAB technology in a smaller mallet ... the sugar on top was it was actually cool looking

Ive stuck with it up until now. But I had a rollercoaster of a ride with the mezz. First thing I noticed was it was light, but I already know the "untorque" feeling so obviously didn't want to jump the gun. stuck with it... had some good rounds some bad. But the Bad was really bad I couldn't figure it out.

Lag putts were just AWFUL, I felt the head turn over left on me on long putts and would pull them. Then the lightness really messed with distance control. I sort of developed a yip with the mezz, Obviously i went back to the LAB basics, made sure my alignment was good, ball position good... thumbs off. Thought everything was good but i was still having issues.

I honestly chalked it up to the DF just being more stable and forgiving.

Decided ok it just feels light lets add some weight. I know my DF has a SW of E1. When I put the mezz on it was at D1. I was like wow! ok, but as some of you know swingweight is something that doesn't really translate for Lab putters.

so I went ahead and balance the head on the corner of a table before adding lead tape to the head. First thing I noticed was mine was not balanced. the face was actually 45* to the left, the face angled to the ground I was like ooo crap! tried a different table same thing and then balanced it on my finger same result. So this maybe explains why i felt the face shutting on me right at impact and I would react with my hands. So i added tape to square it up. what a difference already. I decided I wouldn't add more and to give it a shot.

Much better! but played on different greens during skins game (greens were firm and lightning quick). I made a lot of birdies but holy hell putter just felt way too light. Taking it back felt really unstable and the untorqued feeling made it feel like i swinging faster so i would bomb some putts way past the hole.

went back home and just made the swingweight to E1. it feels good! but i decided to bring the DF back out to test head to head ..... i guess the DF is just the OG. it swings good, feels really stable, just feels like magic... looks like doodoo but you know you get over it when the balls drop.

TLDR: most likely putting the mezz to the side or selling it... just doesnt have the magic like the DF for me (not willing to buy a mezz max especially if the DF is just the GOAT) or maybe i have too many scars mentally with the mezz LOL. 

• Like 2

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I recently purchased a Mezz Max but the heavier version.  Such a game changer for my feel on longer putts.  I loved the Mezz but went back to my 2.1 just because of the long lag putts-especially putts going up over a ridge.  I struggled so much with the multi tiered greens but this heavier version is awesome.  I put lead tape on the ends of the Mezz and I could feel a little difference but I didn’t want to put too much lead tape to possibly interfere with the stroke.  Have to say I’m very pleased with the Mezz Max heavy version. 

Edited by My2Dogs
  • Like 4

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 12/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, littletimbo182 said:

I have a lot of arc in my stroke, would I need to change my putting style to use a LAB putter? 

Nope! The putter is designed to stay square to the natural arc dictated by the lie angle. If you rotate the putter in access of the arc you may struggle at first but the putter will literally lead you to a better stroke if you learn to let the putter do its thing

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 7:38 AM, ajlacombe said:

No - the thing the LAB Golf putters do is they do not torque open or closed during the swing - that is it. Everyone takes to them differently - all you need to do is give it a fair shot and you will see what it does.  Do NOT listen to Paul Azinger though, he has no clue what they do 🙂 

What did Paul say???

20 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

Im late to the party.

Ive had my Mezz since beginning of the year. Ive had the Reno, 2.0 2.1 etc etc

The Mezz was what I really wanted out of a Lab putter. LAB technology in a smaller mallet ... the sugar on top was it was actually cool looking

Ive stuck with it up until now. But I had a rollercoaster of a ride with the mezz. First thing I noticed was it was light, but I already know the "untorque" feeling so obviously didn't want to jump the gun. stuck with it... had some good rounds some bad. But the Bad was really bad I couldn't figure it out.

Lag putts were just AWFUL, I felt the head turn over left on me on long putts and would pull them. Then the lightness really messed with distance control. I sort of developed a yip with the mezz, Obviously i went back to the LAB basics, made sure my alignment was good, ball position good... thumbs off. Thought everything was good but i was still having issues.

I honestly chalked it up to the DF just being more stable and forgiving.

Decided ok it just feels light lets add some weight. I know my DF has a SW of E1. When I put the mezz on it was at D1. I was like wow! ok, but as some of you know swingweight is something that doesn't really translate for Lab putters.

so I went ahead and balance the head on the corner of a table before adding lead tape to the head. First thing I noticed was mine was not balanced. the face was actually 45* to the left, the face angled to the ground I was like ooo crap! tried a different table same thing and then balanced it on my finger same result. So this maybe explains why i felt the face shutting on me right at impact and I would react with my hands. So i added tape to square it up. what a difference already. I decided I wouldn't add more and to give it a shot.

Much better! but played on different greens during skins game (greens were firm and lightning quick). I made a lot of birdies but holy hell putter just felt way too light. Taking it back felt really unstable and the untorqued feeling made it feel like i swinging faster so i would bomb some putts way past the hole.

went back home and just made the swingweight to E1. it feels good! but i decided to bring the DF back out to test head to head ..... i guess the DF is just the OG. it swings good, feels really stable, just feels like magic... looks like doodoo but you know you get over it when the balls drop.

TLDR: most likely putting the mezz to the side or selling it... just doesnt have the magic like the DF for me (not willing to buy a mezz max especially if the DF is just the GOAT) or maybe i have too many scars mentally with the mezz LOL. 

Reach out to customer service and they can add weight and rebalance. That said, the DF IS more stable for sure. Tried the MAX yet? Sort of the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, labgolf said:

Reach out to customer service and they can add weight and rebalance. That said, the DF IS more stable for sure. Tried the MAX yet? Sort of the best of both worlds.

Already taken care of 🙂

LAB has always been the best at customer service!

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

10 minutes ago, labgolf said:

What did Paul say???

He was talking about Ryan Palmers new putter and that it removed some of the torquiness (do not recall his exact words), and that it has helped him.  I started laughing because it removes ALL of the torque and that is the whole premise of the design. I wondered if he just did not get it or if he was saying most/some because he did not want to bad mouth the other putters.

It was comical and gave me a good laugh, but the commentators these days do make you laugh with having to analyze everything and pretend they know every golfer's every thought during a round.

• Like 2

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

34 minutes ago, labgolf said:

@LabGolf,

I love my Mezz and love my 2.1.  Only issue I’ve had it what I stated with longer putts that are on multi tiered greens.  Now the Mezz Max I got that is the heavier model is absolutely perfect IMO.  Can I get my normal Mezz a little heavier?  If so, I’ll certainly call customer service as that would make the original Mezz just about perfect as I love the size of the head.  

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

BTW- I took the Mezz Max out yesterday and played a tourney.  Only got it the day before and no green time, just some indoor putts.  I figured best way to test it out was under fire of a tourney.

it was fabulous.  All my lag putts were spot on, made 4 birdies and had 3 others that were dead center and 1 or even 1/2 rotation more and I would have had 7 birdies.  The weight makes it so much easier on fast greens as I don’t have to take it back as far and touch seems to be one of the best parts of the putter.  Cannot wait for the new year and really getting more and more time with it. 

• Like 3

PXG Hybrid stand bag

15 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

@LabGolf,

I love my Mezz and love my 2.1.  Only issue I’ve had it what I stated with longer putts that are on multi tiered greens.  Now the Mezz Max I got that is the heavier model is absolutely perfect IMO.  Can I get my normal Mezz a little heavier?  If so, I’ll certainly call customer service as that would make the original Mezz just about perfect as I love the size of the head.  

on their website they have services you can do with prices

• Like 2

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

3 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

@LabGolf,

Yep! Email them and they can tell you whats involved

• Like 1

Damn this cold weather - too much time surfing and thinking about golf equipment.  I have had an on again off again relationship with my MEZZ.  Really like it but I think my issue with it is the Press II 1.5º grip at this point.  If I can keep my hands out of the swing I am fine, but any tension at all brings pulls and pushes that get worse the closer I get to the hole.

I have some DF 2.1s that are my gamers. The two that I like best have the baseball sized 1.L grip - I never liked the big SuperStroke grips, but this one is elliptical in cross section and I just love it.

The DF 2.1s have Stability Tour shafts and my MEZZ has the Accra shaft.  I really prefer the Accra because I can feel it way more during the strike.

I have a few questions for you:

1. Does anyone have a 3º grip on the MEZZ? I know it is supposed to use the 1.5º grip but that Sam prefers the 3º.  I doubt this is an issue
  2. I sent LAB an inquiry one headweight of the Max since the 1.L grip is 16g heavier than the 1.5 - I assume the weight the club based on grip chosen and it is not an issue, but the feel of the club is what I was wondering about - I do not want it to be a sledge hammer, but not a feather either.  I tend to go for heavier and feel in all my clubs
  3. Colors - the images on the website are really bad IMO, because I can not tell what they really look like.  Every image I have seem that is outside or a good inside one show awesome colors.  I have not seen a red one in a good image.  Has anyone seen the red, or have opinions on the other colors - I prefer flash over camo 🙂 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Anybody know the head weight of the DF 2.1 Broomstick? I’ve found that around 500 grams feels best to me in a broomstick. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

14 hours ago, Kball10 said:

I have a Mezz Proto and am considering the MAX.  Anybody have both?  How do they compare?  I am considering the heavier version of the MAX.

I’ve got both as well as the 2.1. The original Mezz was really good but I’ve stated the only issue I had was on multi tiered greens.  Struggled a lot to get them close when I had to go over a ridge.  Longer lag putts were good and I didn’t see too many issues but some of the greens I play have 2 foot ridges on them and I really had a hard time, especially if I landed on the lower and the flag was close to the ridge on top.

Mezz Max is a little larger head but doesn’t seem that much bigger when looking down.  The Mezz Max I got was the heavier version and I think it’s perfect so far (who knows I am a member on WRX 😂).  Lag putts were spot on and my stoke seemed better as I didn’t have to take it back as far due to the heavier weight.  Sometimes I can take it outside a bit if the stroke gets too long and the extra weight helps a lot.  Both have good feel and I’m considering sending my original Mezz back for customer service to add weight.

it all depends on the player as some people like heavier blades, mallets, etc I have found I like a little heavier head for my feel to be perfect.  

I would recommend before taking the plunge is adding some lead tape to the bottom fang portion of the Mezz (that’s what I did to see if more weight felt better or not) and that should give you a better idea if you would like the heavier version. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 12/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, Ngjg21 said:

Sorry, @labgolf, one other question—how much of a difference does a degree in lie angle create? Was fit into 70, would your stock 69 effectively produce comparable results? Many thanks.

Very likely, yes. The Mezz is much smaller heel to toe than our other models and has a bit of camber. For the Directed Force, I'd prefer it perfect but you can get away with a degree in either direction.

• Thanks 2

Well, my MEZZ.1 will be going on the block, as I just ordered its replacement.  A MEZZ.1 Max in red with the Accra shaft in white with a red head, heavier head option.  I am really hoping that this will give m an alternative to my DF 2.1s.  I ordered the 1.L on the new putter as well.

LAB Golf has awesome customer service.  I was super tempted to pull the trigger on the 5 day build time, but I left it as standard and hope for a quick turn around 🙂 

Now for the big time BST list coming in a few days from:

AndysGolfLand-5C.pdf

41 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Well, my MEZZ.1 will be going on the block, as I just ordered its replacement.  A MEZZ.1 Max in red with the Accra shaft in white with a red head, heavier head option.  I am really hoping that this will give m an alternative to my DF 2.1s.  I ordered the 1.L on the new putter as well.

LAB Golf has awesome customer service.  I was super tempted to pull the trigger on the 5 day build time, but I left it as standard and hope for a quick turn around 🙂 

Now for the big time BST list coming in a few days from:

AndysGolfLand-5C.pdf 79.56 kB · 3 downloads

So not the heavy version?  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Just now, My2Dogs said:

Never mind I can’t read.  Well I’m blind so it’s not the reading.  😂

I think you will really enjoy it.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

14 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

I did do the heavy version.  I was leaning that way since I have always had an issue when I can not feel the club, in putting and full shots.  After talking to LAB Golf, they also felt it would be a better guess to go heavy with the Max.  I like my DFs but the BGT shaft has less feel IMO than the Accra shaft, so if this is a similar weight to the DF 2.1 and more feel with the Accra shaft, I would be thrilled.  It would have nice flash to it as well with a Red head and White shaft 🙂  By "weight" I mean the overall weight and how it feels during a swing.

34 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

I did do the heavy version.  I was leaning that way since I have always had an issue when I can not feel the club, in putting and full shots.  After talking to LAB Golf, they also felt it would be a better guess to go heavy with the Max.  I like my DFs but the BGT shaft has less feel IMO than the Accra shaft, so if this is a similar weight to the DF 2.1 and more feel with the Accra shaft, I would be thrilled.  It would have nice flash to it as well with a Red head and White shaft 🙂  By "weight" I mean the overall weight and how it feels during a swing.

Yeah I saw that and posted right after.  I’m just blind.  

I think you will love it as I might be in the honeymoon phase but this to me is the game changer.  Gives me the same type of confidence and feel of the 2.1 but in a more conventional head shape. 

I’ve got the Orange/Gold head and Tour Stability shaft in Red.  Really sharp combo.   I say Gold as it’s not a bright orange but more towards the gold color in person. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 12/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, ajlacombe said:

Damn this cold weather - too much time surfing and thinking about golf equipment.  I have had an on again off again relationship with my MEZZ.  Really like it but I think my issue with it is the Press II 1.5º grip at this point.  If I can keep my hands out of the swing I am fine, but any tension at all brings pulls and pushes that get worse the closer I get to the hole.

I have some DF 2.1s that are my gamers. The two that I like best have the baseball sized 1.L grip - I never liked the big SuperStroke grips, but this one is elliptical in cross section and I just love it.

The DF 2.1s have Stability Tour shafts and my MEZZ has the Accra shaft.  I really prefer the Accra because I can feel it way more during the strike.

I have a few questions for you:

1. Does anyone have a 3º grip on the MEZZ? I know it is supposed to use the 1.5º grip but that Sam prefers the 3º.  I doubt this is an issue
  2. I sent LAB an inquiry one headweight of the Max since the 1.L grip is 16g heavier than the 1.5 - I assume the weight the club based on grip chosen and it is not an issue, but the feel of the club is what I was wondering about - I do not want it to be a sledge hammer, but not a feather either.  I tend to go for heavier and feel in all my clubs
  3. Colors - the images on the website are really bad IMO, because I can not tell what they really look like.  Every image I have seem that is outside or a good inside one show awesome colors.  I have not seen a red one in a good image.  Has anyone seen the red, or have opinions on the other colors - I prefer flash over camo 🙂 

Thanks!

I had the 1.5 on the Mezz all season and putted my best ever.  SO I ordered 1.L and 3.0 thinking it can only get better!  LOL, mistake.  First, I tried the 1.L and that was NOT a good match for me.  Not sure exactly why, but I completely lost the feel of the putter head with the grip that large.  Went to the 3.0 and it's been better, still not as good as the 1.5.

With snow on the ground I still have the 3.0, I'm using the Perfect Putting Matt with a Srixon Divide to show me how the ball in coming off the face, the ball starts online, nothing new, and pretty much make all my putts, however, I have not been able to get the ball rolling end over end, nothing but wobbles.  The 1.5 rolled pretty much end over end consistently, I will probably order another 1.5 at some point.  Until I do that, I have messed around with Right Hand Low (I'm left handed), and the magic is back, end over end.  Golf is funny.     

• Like 1

Driver:  Callaway Epic 9° Fujikura Speeder 665 X

Hybrid:  Callaway Alpha 815  17° Fujikura Speeder 865 X

Hybrid:  Titleist 910H 22° Diamana Ahina 90 S

Irons:  MP 223 4-PW DG 120 X100

Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 50° 54° 58°

Putter:  LAB Mezz.1 Accra white 35" 67°

Ball:  Prov1

4 minutes ago, JRB277 said:

I had the 1.5 on the Mezz all season and putted my best ever.  SO I ordered 1.L and 3.0 thinking it can only get better!  LOL, mistake.  First, I tried the 1.L and that was NOT a good match for me.  Not sure exactly why, but I completely lost the feel of the putter head with the grip that large.  Went to the 3.0 and it's been better, still not as good as the 1.5.

With snow on the ground I still have the 3.0, I'm using the Perfect Putting Matt with a Srixon Divide to show me how the ball in coming off the face, the ball starts online, nothing new, and pretty much make all my putts, however, I have not been able to get the ball rolling end over end, nothing but wobbles.  The 1.5 rolled pretty much end over end consistently, I will probably order another 1.5 at some point.  Until I do that, I have messed around with Right Hand Low (I'm left handed), and the magic is back, end over end.  Golf is funny.     

Golf is funny.  I have the 1.5 on my original Mezz and on my Mezz Max heavy version I have the 3.0.  I seem to like the 3.0 better.  Golf is hard to figure out at times.  Some of the simplest and smallest things can make a huge impact that you would never even think could. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

13 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

Yeah I saw that and posted right after.  I’m just blind.  

I think you will love it as I might be in the honeymoon phase but this to me is the game changer.  Gives me the same type of confidence and feel of the 2.1 but in a more conventional head shape. 

I’ve got the Orange/Gold head and Tour Stability shaft in Red.  Really sharp combo.   I say Gold as it’s not a bright orange but more towards the gold color in person. 

So are all of your shafts the Stability shaft? I have 3 of them (Red, Green, Black) - the red is a stunner. I like them, but there is something I struggle to describe with the Accra and being able to feel a "kick" with the MEZZ.

I am hoping that the 1.L grip and heavier Max is the ticket.  I have been thrilled with the DF 2.1s - I NEVER would have believed that they would be my gamers. No one even busts my balls over them after they see me putt with them and they try them out.

I swear I could easily sell them if I had a variety of setups for people to try.

I wish there were more pictures of the Max colors on the website.  Images in the sunlight so you could really tell what they look like.  I almost ordered the orange, but found some eBay listings with the Red and decided to go with Red.

The little things do make a huge difference, and you struggle to find them unless you have access to them.  With LAB putters I think it is the length and lie of course, but the swing and overall weight is bit but the grip is big as well, and unless you can try it out, it is hard to see what actually works for you.  Once it locks in, you know you have it.

47 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

So are all of your shafts the Stability shaft? I have 3 of them (Red, Green, Black) - the red is a stunner. I like them, but there is something I struggle to describe with the Accra and being able to feel a "kick" with the MEZZ.

I am hoping that the 1.L grip and heavier Max is the ticket.  I have been thrilled with the DF 2.1s - I NEVER would have believed that they would be my gamers. No one even busts my balls over them after they see me putt with them and they try them out.

I swear I could easily sell them if I had a variety of setups for people to try.

I wish there were more pictures of the Max colors on the website.  Images in the sunlight so you could really tell what they look like.  I almost ordered the orange, but found some eBay listings with the Red and decided to go with Red.

The little things do make a huge difference, and you struggle to find them unless you have access to them.  With LAB putters I think it is the length and lie of course, but the swing and overall weight is bit but the grip is big as well, and unless you can try it out, it is hard to see what actually works for you.  Once it locks in, you know you have it.

Yeah all of my Lab Putters have the Stability Shafts.  Never tried to Accra shaft yet.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag