MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

On 6/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, ajlacombe said:

Well - I hit my green with the pinstriping and realized this is definitely the way to go for me - so I filled up the head with paint.  I tried long stripes on the ends and could not handle the look of the line being in a groove and then continuing with a half width line up on the flat, so I removed that - still have some more clean up to do on the lines, but it is close.

I learned one thing that I do while putting that I had no idea I did.  I actually watch the putter head during the stroke - not where it is my conscious eye and moving my head, but as I stare at the ball, my peripheral vision is indeed locked on the head.  Being able to see the blur of the yellow lines seemed to calm my ADD mind and locked in my stroke.

The line configuration does aid a bit in alignment, but the bigger aspect is allowing me to see the putter head.  Hard to explain, but this is a game changer for me. I also would NOT go with the same color on both sets of line pairs. For me the putter looks WAY better.  I am playing 9 both tomorrow and Thursday - can not wait to test it out,

image.png.2791d7e91b48957f42587c7e96c661ca.png

@ajlacombe I like the yellow, the contrast against the black looks great!  I almost pulled the trigger on a Scotty Phantom X 7.5 a couple of years ago because of the yellow/black alignment lines.  I won't be removing the white on mine, not enough patience, but I do wish I would have done yellow now.  Maybe I'll re-tape and spray some yellow... 

I understand what you mean when you can "see" the putter during the stroke now without actually staring at the putter or path.  Adding the lines has allowed me to frame my path visually to where I can "feel" (anticipate) impact much better and consistently.  The onset of the shaft seems to throw me off a touch, it's like the mind expects to feel impact after when it actually happens.  The ball is already off the face before I expect it, and that sensation has given me some inconsistency with the stroke.  In my mind, and we know putting is an *inside job, matching up the expectation of impact with the addition of the lines has fixed that sensation.  Who knows... It's golf.  What I do know, is that it's working and working very well.            

• Like 1

Driver:  Callaway Epic 9° Fujikura Speeder 665 X

Hybrid:  Callaway Alpha 815  17° Fujikura Speeder 865 X

Hybrid:  Titleist 910H 22° Diamana Ahina 90 S

Irons:  MP 223 4-PW DG 120 X100

Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 50° 54° 58°

Putter:  LAB Mezz.1 Accra white 35" 67°

Ball:  Prov1

21 minutes ago, JRB277 said:

@ajlacombe I like the yellow, the contrast against the black looks great!  I almost pulled the trigger on a Scotty Phantom X 7.5 a couple of years ago because of the yellow/black alignment lines.  I won't be removing the white on mine, not enough patience, but I do wish I would have done yellow now.  Maybe I'll re-tape and spray some yellow... 

I understand what you mean when you can "see" the putter during the stroke now without actually staring at the putter or path.  Adding the lines has allowed me to frame my path visually to where I can "feel" (anticipate) impact much better and consistently.  The onset of the shaft seems to throw me off a touch, it's like the mind expects to feel impact after when it actually happens.  The ball is already off the face before I expect it, and that sensation has given me some inconsistency with the stroke.  In my mind, and we know putting is an *inside job, matching up the expectation of impact with the addition of the lines has fixed that sensation.  Who knows... It's golf.  What I do know, is that it's working and working very well.            

I was going to do white like yours and grabbed a white and red bottle of Testors I had and then went downstairs where there was a yellow, and thought - wow that might be cool 🙂  Anyways the lines are the bomb.  Thanks for the example - it has totally changed the MEZZ for me.  I am loving the lines...

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

What did you guys use to mark the top with yellow or white?  I can't find anything that will stay on long enough 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

I use pin striping to prototype things, but has a tendency to peel easily.  For my prototyping with the MEZZ, I was not putting the cover on and off so that helped, and I only putted at my house.  I took to it so well, I just used paint.  The paint stains the annodation, so it took Acetone to clean it up.

3 hours ago, HackinNut said:

What did you guys use to mark the top with yellow or white?  I can't find anything that will stay on long enough 

First, I taped the entire putter with painter's tape making sure the lines were exactly where I wanted, leaving only the small strips open for paint.  I used a Krylon All-in-one matt white paint + primer.  I would recommend doing like 4 or 5 passes, or however many it takes to build up the layers, the first couple passes only provided a faint white.  Let each session dry before doing the next pass, it seemed like each pass dried within a few minutes.  Do not try and make it perfect with the first couple pass overs, you'll end up with runny paint.  So far the white has stayed on with very little to no paint coming off.  I've had the paint on for about a month now.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Wouldn't adhesive vinyl wrap or pinstriping work and allow changes as well?

Yes - I used pinstriping

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

A question for Lab putter users: For the guys that have used the Directed Force Putters and the Mezz Putters-Which do you find most accurate, and easiest to use?

This is a tough question and will depend on the user.  Visually the DF 2.1 is an enormous putter, while the MEZZ is more "normal" looking. The feel of each will be dependent on the grip and shaft as a system.  For me the DF is a better match for both out of the box, but once I added painfill to some of the lines on top of the MEZZ, I prefer the MEZZ.

Your preferences are going to determine which one you like:

• Visual size - MEZZ is smaller
  • Alignment - DF has way more stock options for sight lines
  • Shafts - no difference
  • Grips - no difference except that the MEZZ is designed to use the Press 1.5º and the DF uses the Press 3º 

For me there are some wildcard features.  I feel that the MEZZ is more nimble and easier to stroke a putt.  My preferences relate to my quirks in how I putt.  If I were a robot - both putters are the same. 

Lastly - the paint fill we have been talking about really changed the MEZZ for me.  I can see the blur of the lines as I putt (not watching them, but noticing them), and that calms my squirrel mind during the stroke.

The more accurate one depends on which one fits you and your stroke.  You need to try them out and see - yes I know that can be hard to impossible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

A question for Lab putter users: For the guys that have used the Directed Force Putters and the Mezz Putters-Which do you find most accurate, and easiest to use?

The DF 2.1 has the most noticeable tech and possibly the most accurate but that's hard to say.  You absolutely will feel the putter tracking, it's a cool sensation and hard to explain.  I have used all 3 models, and all of them took me a small adjustment period.  

I was hoping the MEZZ would have that tracking feel similar to the 2.1, it still "sorta" does but not to the same level.  The MEZZ is still very forgiving but also adds a little more feedback which you'll notice on mishits.  The 2.1 didn't always allow me to know where I struck the putt on the face, maybe it didn't matter, the putts always seemed to track where I was aimed.  With the addition of the alignment lines I added, the MEZZ has really turned into a perfect blend of forgiveness, feel, and alignment which equals confidence.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

This is a tough question and will depend on the user.  Visually the DF 2.1 is an enormous putter, while the MEZZ is more "normal" looking. The feel of each will be dependent on the grip and shaft as a system.  For me the DF is a better match for both out of the box, but once I added painfill to some of the lines on top of the MEZZ, I prefer the MEZZ.

Your preferences are going to determine which one you like:

• Visual size - MEZZ is smaller
  • Alignment - DF has way more stock options for sight lines
  • Shafts - no difference
  • Grips - no difference except that the MEZZ is designed to use the Press 1.5º and the DF uses the Press 3º 

For me there are some wildcard features.  I feel that the MEZZ is more nimble and easier to stroke a putt.  My preferences relate to my quirks in how I putt.  If I were a robot - both putters are the same. 

Lastly - the paint fill we have been talking about really changed the MEZZ for me.  I can see the blur of the lines as I putt (not watching them, but noticing them), and that calms my squirrel mind during the stroke.

The more accurate one depends on which one fits you and your stroke.  You need to try them out and see - yes I know that can be hard to impossible.

Love the custom striping. I have this TaylorMade putter that to me has a great alignment setup. It is the main reason I got it — have never been drawn to the usual Spider shapes. This Spider Platinum S putter came out in 2021 and seemed immediately forgotten, but it is an alignment visual that TM should keep. For me it is very effective and easy to see how it is aimed. 

Three lines, size is just slightly wider than the width of the ball and the combo of straight lines and angled back lines makes it work. A little bit like an MLA putter for those familiar. Those also have nice alignment. 

This is what I’d really like to see on my Mezz1 I have coming. The putter sets up well to me, just want that three-line alignment to be more prominent. If I can pinstripe it to look like this, I will:

AD025911-6352-4BB1-A4A6-585F29CCB16E.jpeg.33d41340b6e9edfd26cc413921fa5e29.jpeg

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

10 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Easiest to use - both. But if I have to pick one, it's Mezz. Compact design, design like a typical #7 and forgiving. The whole putter is simple, hit it in the middle and let the lie angle balance do it's work.

Accuracy - DF. I like the meatier weight behind the ball and more sightline options. I also find the short putts easier with the DF because of the slightly heavier weight. The DF feels far more stable on short putts because of the size and weight so I am less finnicky with the back stroke.

Right now I am seriously contemplating either spending more time adjusting to my Mezz or having it sent back to LAB to add more head weight. It's only been a short while since its back in the bag. I just don't feel I have a heavier, stable setup for the short ones especially the curlers since I can't really toe or heel putt with Mezz as effectively as the DF...

I'll add one more category - Functional. If you love the art of putting, you will toe and heel putt. Here the DF is perfect. While you can still toe putt with the Mezz, it's less effective because the weight of the putter is at the end so, at least for me, I can't feel like I can take anything off when I toe or heel putt. Plus with the DF, the rear end makes a great training aid with the single or dual balls.

Hope this helps. If you are a WRXer in the Los Angeles region, feel free to PM me if you like to meet & greet both putters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

6 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Easiest to use - both. But if I have to pick one, it's Mezz. Compact design, design like a typical #7 and forgiving. The whole putter is simple, hit it in the middle and let the lie angle balance do it's work.

Accuracy - DF. I like the meatier weight behind the ball and more sightline options. I also find the short putts easier with the DF because of the slightly heavier weight. The DF feels far more stable on short putts because of the size and weight so I am less finnicky with the back stroke.

Right now I am seriously contemplating either spending more time adjusting to my Mezz or having it sent back to LAB to add more head weight. It's only been a short while since its back in the bag. I just don't feel I have a heavier, stable setup for the short ones especially the curlers since I can't really toe or heel putt with Mezz as effectively as the DF...

I'll add one more category - Functional. If you love the art of putting, you will toe and heel putt. Here the DF is perfect. While you can still toe putt with the Mezz, it's less effective because the weight of the putter is at the end so, at least for me, I can't feel like I can take anything off when I toe or heel putt. Plus with the DF, the rear end makes a great training aid with the single or dual balls.

Hope this helps. If you are a WRXer in the Los Angeles region, feel free to PM me if you like to meet & greet both putters.

Thanks, but I’m in NC.

10 minutes ago, drewsaber16 said:

Just ordered my mezz last week! Looking forward to getting it into play! How long does it normally take to receive the order? Was thinking about 3-4 weeks?

Ask them for an estimate - they change based on backlog, but IMO the under promise and overdeliver.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, caniac6 said:

The look of the MEZZ is great, and the DF has grown on me. To me, I think the DF is a fantastic putter. When I feel like I'm rolling them well with the MEZZ, the DF rolls them better, draining putts from distance, holding lines on punched and shady greens, etc. When I feel like MEZZ isn't rolling great, the DF feels better. The DF has a Press OG and LAGP shaft, and the MEZZ has a Press 1.5 and KBS, so maybe that has something to do with it.

So for me, the DF is as close to automatic as it gets, but there's something so good about the MEZZ sizing and look. I'm going to take the feel I have with the DF and apply it to the MEZZ.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drewsaber16 said:

Just ordered my mezz last week! Looking forward to getting it into play! How long does it normally take to receive the order? Was thinking about 3-4 weeks?

I just ordered mine on June 9th, and just got the notification that it shipped on June 14th. So I think you'll probably get yours pretty soon. The only downside is this record heat wave we're getting in the midwest right now. Even when I get it Monday, I won't be able to take it out for a while unless I want to be playing in 95-102F heat with 50-60% humidity...

On 6/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, Simpsonia said:

I just ordered mine on June 9th, and just got the notification that it shipped on June 14th. So I think you'll probably get yours pretty soon. The only downside is this record heat wave we're getting in the midwest right now. Even when I get it Monday, I won't be able to take it out for a while unless I want to be playing in 95-102F heat with 50-60% humidity...

Thanks! Just got an email that it will be here on Wednesday! I have a practice round  Thursday and then a tourney on Friday! Glad I will be able to practice with it on Thursday and see if i want to put it into play right away! 

2 hours ago, drewsaber16 said:

Thanks! Just got an email that it will be here on Wednesday! I have a practice round  Thursday and then a tourney on Friday! Glad I will be able to practice with it on Thursday and see if i want to put it into play right away! 

Did you request your order to be expedited order or just standard?

Just ordered mine last Saturday (6/18) after talking with Philip and doing some testing at a local fitter. Ordered mine at 34.5" and 72 degree with an ACCRA shaft since I want to have a more upright putting stroke (coming from a 33" Spider X with the 12g aftermarket weights) and asked to up the swing weight to 400g. Got quite a few rounds in early July so hopefully the 2 week turnaround holds for me! Super excited and can't wait to get it and start rolling some putts. Customer service was second to none. 

36 minutes ago, drewsaber16 said:

Standard, think it depends on their work flow. However, both of us ordered the same day on the 9th and getting in around 2 weeks. I am a lefty, not sure if that helps or hurts. 

Thanks, I had ordered mine on the 13th (lefty as well).  Knowing you did standard I am hopeful to see a shipping notification soon.

I received my Mezz yesterday. Went with the Accra to soften up the feel, and I will say that it did soften the feel quite a bit from the demo version I tried. Not as soft as the Betti QB6 I also liked, but still pretty soft and provides good feedback on mishits. Still need to adjust to the lack of torque now. I'm pulling everything right now as I don't have the resistance of the toe-hang putter that I'm used to and I overcompensate. I do wish I had noticed the difference in grips though, it looks like they are out of the textured version of the Press grips and I could only order the Press II Smooth, which feels just kind of sticky in a way I don't love.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 5:19 AM, Simpsonia said:

I received my Mezz yesterday. Went with the Accra to soften up the feel, and I will say that it did soften the feel quite a bit from the demo version I tried. Not as soft as the Betti QB6 I also liked, but still pretty soft and provides good feedback on mishits. Still need to adjust to the lack of torque now. I'm pulling everything right now as I don't have the resistance of the toe-hang putter that I'm used to and I overcompensate. I do wish I had noticed the difference in grips though, it looks like they are out of the textured version of the Press grips and I could only order the Press II Smooth, which feels just kind of sticky in a way I don't love.  

Interesting, didn't know LAB has introduced a different style of grip until you posted it here. I really like the look of it compared to the textured grip on my Mezz. Thanks

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

As an update, I've made a lot of progress with my Mezz, though it definitely required a change to my stroke. Previously with my blade I setup with plenty of arm bend at the elbows. Nothing I could do changed the pull with that stroke. But moving my hands down the grip a bit and straightening my arms seems to have done the trick. With a soft grip (modified claw) and just stroking like a pendulum from the shoulders gives me a straight stroke almost every time. Pace seems to be an issue still, but I think that's just going to take some getting used to the new weight. 

8 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

As an update, I've made a lot of progress with my Mezz, though it definitely required a change to my stroke. Previously with my blade I setup with plenty of arm bend at the elbows. Nothing I could do changed the pull with that stroke. But moving my hands down the grip a bit and straightening my arms seems to have done the trick. With a soft grip (modified claw) and just stroking like a pendulum from the shoulders gives me a straight stroke almost every time. Pace seems to be an issue still, but I think that's just going to take some getting used to the new weight. 

I am still cycling between the MEZZ and my DF 2.1 stable.  Last night I was putting and came across something I did not realize I had changed.  MY tempo of my stroke had changed to one of WAY too much thought - think Brooke SLOWderson.  I think you can see the grass growing while she putts.

My routine is much faster now and it has helped a ton.  The routing is a 1-2-3-4 beat as follows

• Feet together, line the face to aimpoint
  • Set back foot
  • Set front foot (barely move it forward from aiming)
  • Look at target
  • Look at ball
  • Pull the trigger

I never realized I got into SLOW land until last night.  The rhythmic cadence of this routine  has helped me over the years, because it takes over and does not all squirrel-brain thoughts.  Stand into the batters box and go - I can not believe I had forgotten it. If the routine is strong it will flatten out the sh*t that creeps in.  The LAB putters are so stable, it can really build your confidence when you know they will be there every putt - nothing like watching that perfect end over end roll towards the target

• Like 1

I played a tough course today and on the front 9 I missed 4 birdie putts within 10 feet.  All dead center but just 1 or 2 inches short.  The greens as this course as usually really fast but with the horrible heat wave we are in they were not as fast.  I became tentative and didn’t really make an aggressive stroke.  Even on short putts you can make an aggressive stroke but I didn’t feel comfortable.  Back 9 I said to heck with it and if I’ve got 6-10 feet as a comeback putt, I don’t care.  Made 3 birdies in 5 holes and the others were all long putts (played at 6,900 yards) and they were all pure strokes/rolls.  

I’ve got to keep that mindset moving forward.  

Mezz is the best putter I’ve ever had but I’ve got to use it properly.  Solid, aggressive strokes is where it shines.  

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 6/25/2022 at 4:45 PM, My2Dogs said:

Mezz is the best putter I’ve ever had but I’ve got to use it properly.  Solid, aggressive strokes is where it shines.  

Couldn't agree more.. played a 2 day tourney and switched from MEZZ to DF between days. MEZZ stroke on short ones was a bit hesitant due to the green speeds. The DF has that extra stability that I like for those speeds, but when you're aggressive, the MEZZ is just awesome!

• Like 1

Received my Mezz Wednesday night. Practice round Thursday and then our member guest this past weekend. Felt just as good with one practice round as my old putter. Made a bunch of huge putts in the tournament with it and can honestly say this putter will not be leaving the bag. Still have some work to do with speed control, but already so much better at putts breaking away from my body than before! Love the white Accra shaft with it as well!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So ... can we send ours back to Lab & get the new size!?!   MEZZ.1MAX ... supersized version of the MEZZ.1 .... 20% larger

Plus 6 new colors!  The BLUE is badass! 

image.png.0be2f459b7a88a8a33a97c2f1b7833a7.png

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot